The R-QBAM main thread

It took a little longer than expected mostly due to the horrible lakes in Chelyabinsk and Kurgan. Seriously, it looks like someone took a punt at them with a shotgun.
Someone did šŸ˜‰
https://images.csmonitor.com/csm/2013/02/0222-OTUNGUSKA.JPG?alias=standard_900x600

1673126136581.png

Well, my first post of the year here;
So as I talked before, this patch add the remaning missing African wetlands, mainly in East Africa as well the Congolese and Niger Delta swamps, also first iteration of the palette for wetlands, the old one for floodplain/marshes, an teal one for mangroves and the other darker for swamps... Honestly I still don't like the result I used here, these colors are still going to change very soon...

Other than that one thing I'm definetly settle is the new rivers and canals palette being more saturated, it is more saturated than before wich make easier to distinguissing between the different categories so here how that layer end up looking:
1673127078947.png

So with that my next step is doing the overall in Europe, that theoretically should be quick... I hope; from what I saw the only big omission I commited there beyond extended rivers are the Scandinavian wetlands... So yeah, I'll be doing that then South Asia once fineshed, anyways, see ya!

Ok an really minor patch since I think I wont be making more stuff today: Enhanced Iberian rivers! + Some minor stuff on Morroco too

1673198459548.png
1673198491412.png

As I said, I'll continue on Europe for an while, so see ya

@Tanystropheus42 is this project dead?

Nope, it's just hibernating for a month or so while I wait for my good laptop to get fixed.

In most respects, the old laptop I'm currently using isn't as bad as I initially made it out to be, though this may just be that I'm getting used to it again/have started to develop workarounds for its many foibles/finally bit the bullet and bought a replacement battery.

The main problem I haven't yet found a solution for is that it simply doesn't play well with Paint.net at all, or for that matter, most computationally-taxing programs. I can use the internet without too many problems, but as soon as I try to open a program more complex than, say, MS Paint, it low-key crashes and spends the next ten minutes or so desperately trying to load the program before I give up and stop the attempt.

And annoyingly it's the same story with Paint.net, a program that, need I remind everyone, I'm using to make a pixel-art map. If anything worked at least half-decently I'd expect it to be Paint.net, but no.

The last time I tested it was about a week ago while I was doing something else, and it took between fifteen and twenty minutes just to open and load the main WIP file I'm using as the R-QBAM master map. My good laptop would be able to do that in seconds. And even once it's running, the program is prone to horribly time-consuming freezes and pseudo-crashes that overall make getting anything done on it quite the chore.

For those reasons I'm still largely unable to continue R-QBAM work until I get my good laptop back. On that front, the last update I had on the repair was that I'd managed to break such an odd, specific part that they had to order a replacement in from abroad. Based on the timescales given, I'm probably not getting my laptop back until at least the end of the month.

I mean, I could get lucky, but for now it looks like I won't be able to do any more work on the R-QBAM till February at the earliest, which is annoying, but what can you do?

On that front, the last update I had on the repair was that I'd managed to break such an odd, specific part that they had to order a replacement in from abroad. Based on the timescales given, I'm probably not getting my laptop back until at least the end of the month.
I feel you man, the exact same thing happened to my car a week ago. Hope your work on this project can be renewed once the PC's sorted out.

Nope, it's just hibernating for a month or so while I wait for my good laptop to get fixed.

In most respects, the old laptop I'm currently using isn't as bad as I initially made it out to be, though this may just be that I'm getting used to it again/have started to develop workarounds for its many foibles/finally bit the bullet and bought a replacement battery.

The main problem I haven't yet found a solution for is that it simply doesn't play well with Paint.net at all, or for that matter, most computationally-taxing programs. I can use the internet without too many problems, but as soon as I try to open a program more complex than, say, MS Paint, it low-key crashes and spends the next ten minutes or so desperately trying to load the program before I give up and stop the attempt.

And annoyingly it's the same story with Paint.net, a program that, need I remind everyone, I'm using to make a pixel-art map. If anything worked at least half-decently I'd expect it to be Paint.net, but no.

The last time I tested it was about a week ago while I was doing something else, and it took between fifteen and twenty minutes just to open and load the main WIP file I'm using as the R-QBAM master map. My good laptop would be able to do that in seconds. And even once it's running, the program is prone to horribly time-consuming freezes and pseudo-crashes that overall make getting anything done on it quite the chore.

For those reasons I'm still largely unable to continue R-QBAM work until I get my good laptop back. On that front, the last update I had on the repair was that I'd managed to break such an odd, specific part that they had to order a replacement in from abroad. Based on the timescales given, I'm probably not getting my laptop back until at least the end of the month.

I mean, I could get lucky, but for now it looks like I won't be able to do any more work on the R-QBAM till February at the earliest, which is annoying, but what can you do?
I'd donate my 3 monitor setup for you if I could just so you can keep working on that R-QBAM of yours. Good luck to you finding a solution to your problems man šŸ‘

also "Krita" is really good with pixel art, that's what I use for the Q-BAM patches I do, it's free

I'd donate my 3 monitor setup for you if I could just so you can keep working on that R-QBAM of yours. Good luck to you finding a solution to your problems man šŸ‘

also "Krita" is really good with pixel art, that's what I use for the Q-BAM patches I do, it's free
If the computer crashes with Paint.net then it'll melt with Krita :p

1674360215351.png
1674360447702.png

Well, last week I didn't got much time to work on things, so here we are:
So the Europe rivers rework continues, but also I did improvements on West Africa and Maghreb too.
- France, Germany, Italy, Czechia, Switzerland, continental Denmark and Benelux region done;
- From Senegal to Togo and some little things on Morocco and Algeria, I did add more complete stuff;
- Some missing lakes (not sure if they where out because of size or not), DĆ¼mer Lake in Germany, Wƶrthersee Lake on Austria, Perucko Jezero in Croatia, Stadil Fjord, Fureso Lake and Tisso Lake in Denmark;

Next time: I'll continue on Europe til I finished it, and yeah that's all for today; anyways see ya

1674422393964.png

Another update, the rework on the Danube Basin and Balkans is done too!
And just another missing lake (mybe too small), Slano Jezero on Montenegro

So for this week I guess that's it, I'll continue into the Balitics and Ukraine next time, so see ya

View attachment 801216
Well, my first post of the year here;
So as I talked before, this patch add the remaning missing African wetlands, mainly in East Africa as well the Congolese and Niger Delta swamps, also first iteration of the palette for wetlands, the old one for floodplain/marshes, an teal one for mangroves and the other darker for swamps... Honestly I still don't like the result I used here, these colors are still going to change very soon...

Other than that one thing I'm definetly settle is the new rivers and canals palette being more saturated, it is more saturated than before wich make easier to distinguissing between the different categories so here how that layer end up looking:
View attachment 801226

So with that my next step is doing the overall in Europe, that theoretically should be quick... I hope; from what I saw the only big omission I commited there beyond extended rivers are the Scandinavian wetlands... So yeah, I'll be doing that then South Asia once fineshed, anyways, see ya!
Okay, this is simply, beautiful. Also, what's the difference between Wetlands and Swamps?.

Okay, this is simply, beautiful. Also, what's the difference between Wetlands and Swamps?.
Well, swamps are a type of wetland, actually even salt pans and dry lakes are also an type of wetland.
So to distinguish it:
Floodplains/marshes are "open" areas that periodically get... Well, flooded, generally occurring on river mouths or adjacent to lakes, they can be natural barriers (like the Sudd) and/or excellent place to get food security (i.e. Mesopotamia), it varies;
Swamps on their case are inundated areas withing dense florests, these are really hard enveroments to travel or establish cities and the biggest examples are both the Congolese Swamps and the Amazonian VĆ”rzeas/IgapĆ³ forests;
Mangroves are "similar" to swamps but withing marine enviroments;
Salt pans and dry lakes are generally more... Drier than the others for obvious reasons, basically since they evaporate more they get more salty (like Chott el Djerid and the Aral Sea)
There are other types like bogs (peat based wetland) that occur in higher latitudes, but in general that it

I have good news and bad news.

First up, the bad news. On Tuesday I got a call from the laptop repair place, asking me to pick up the broken laptop and try somewhere else as they literally couldn't source the replacement part I needed. While they were decent enough to not charge me for the hassle and offered to install it if/when I'm able to get my hands on the replacement parts, that doesn't change the fact that my newer laptop will be out of operation for quite some time, which sucks.

The good news is that I spent most of Wednesday trying to get the damned backup laptop to just work with paint.net already. After a long day cleaning up old files, deleting old programs I'm unlikely to use again, deleting and re-installing paint.net twice and running a tonne of optimisations, I've finally been able to get things working well enough.

The caveat is that the backup laptop is still a bit slow and cantankerous, so progress is likely to be slower than if I had my good laptop back, but I've got things to a point where progress can actually be made. The final breakthrough was re-installing the grid-warp addon I've been using, though that came late enough on Wednesday that I wasn't really able to test things. I started work on the R-QBAM again yesterday to see how well it performs, and while things are definitely more tedious on this laptop, further progress is now very much doable.

The next patch, covering more of the Gangetic plain and Nepal, should be finished at some point over the weekend. After that, it's back to grinding through the rest of India, then an overhaul of permanent ice cover, then the Raj patch.

First up, the bad news. On Tuesday I got a call from the laptop repair place, asking me to pick up the broken laptop and try somewhere else as they literally couldn't source the replacement part I needed. While they were decent enough to not charge me for the hassle and offered to install it if/when I'm able to get my hands on the replacement parts, that doesn't change the fact that my newer laptop will be out of operation for quite some time, which sucks.

The good news is that I spent most of Wednesday trying to get the damned backup laptop to just work with paint.net already. After a long day cleaning up old files, deleting old programs I'm unlikely to use again, deleting and re-installing paint.net twice and running a tonne of optimisations, I've finally been able to get things working well enough.

The caveat is that the backup laptop is still a bit slow and cantankerous, so progress is likely to be slower than if I had my good laptop back, but I've got things to a point where progress can actually be made. The final breakthrough was re-installing the grid-warp addon I've been using, though that came late enough on Wednesday that I wasn't really able to test things. I started work on the R-QBAM again yesterday to see how well it performs, and while things are definitely more tedious on this laptop, further progress is now very much doable.

The next patch, covering more of the Gangetic plain and Nepal, should be finished at some point over the weekend. After that, it's back to grinding through the rest of India, then an overhaul of permanent ice cover, then the Raj patch.
We're back up and running.

The project is back on it's tracks, as far as I'm aware. Hope you get to fix the newer laptop soon Tany!

After a month-long hiatus, it's back.

As I've said previously, the original plan was to do one big update covering Nepal, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh and Bihar. Laptop problems however meant that I had to abandon that patch in mid-December. I was able to bodge together Uttar Pradesh for a partial patch from what I'd done before the laptop broke, but the rest was still too incomplete to post. Once I finally got paint.net working, it made sense to finish the last incomplete patch before moving on to the next one.

After this is a patch I'm tentatively calling Gondwana (Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Odisha) followed by the Southern Deccan (Goa, Karnataka, Telangana and Andhra Pradesh) then more Indian Ocean islands (the Laccadive islands, the Maldives and the Chagos archipelago) before finishing southern India and Sri Lanka. None of those patches should take too long to finish individually, so I'm predicting steady progress for the next week or so.

Patch 85 - India 4;
- Added Uttarakhand
- Added Bihar
- Added Nepal

1674963548654.png

Hey @Tanystropheus42 , good to see you back! So latter I belive it would worth check out the missing lakes/reservoirs I've been adding in my river patchs, there are quite a few of them, but today I a have something a little major, the northern part of the Minsk 2014 border agreement for LPR had 1 pixel going south of the Donets River path (right above Luhansk city), so I changed that to go 1 pixel north:
1674968861499.png

And speaking of it, the European river rework patch continues with Ukraine, Poland, Belarus, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia as well Volkhov and Donets Basin done!

1674969312691.png

So yeah I'll continue here in Europe, either going into Russia or the Nordic countries next;
Also an minor change on the canal layer, the Starotveretsky Canal between Tvertsa River to Vyshnevolotskoye Lake of the Mtsa River (it's these 2 green pixels)
1674969895000.png

So well... See ya guys

An minor patch today for lack of time, basically the western part of Northwest Russia + an correction on the Volgaā€“Baltic Waterway canals! So I got an unpleasant surpise here, once I went do the Vodla River basing I notice the WWF source I'm ussing didn't mach the path both OpenstreetMap and Google satelite images showed me... Which is concerning.
So the whole area here (similar to the Sahara region) was off, luckly I had an OSM source for Notherm Russia to get it more right but fear is that problem extends to the whole Scandinavia region, or worst it's something from the high latitude not having an good data on the WWFs tuff,
Anyways, here's the patch:
1675020884863.png
1675020915920.png

So, I'm going to do Scandinavia and British Isles next them later going from north to south finishing Russia, It's gonna take a while if my fears a right, but we eventually get there, anyways see ya guys!

A quick patch today - I wanted this one out yesterday, but RL got in the way leading to a brief postponement. As mentioned previously, next up is more of southern India, which should be done in another two to three days. Oh, and I'll give the Europe lake revisions a look tomorrow - most likely I added them then removed them at a later date, but I may change my mind on some.

Anyway ...

Patch 86 - India 5 (Gondwana);
- Added Chhattisgarh
- Added Jharkhand
- Added Odisha

1675224592990.png