The Power and the Glitter!

Jasen777

Donor
Interesting timeline. I was in Louisiana (though I was only 11) for the Edwards-Duke election and it was really, umm, special. Duke winning sure would be interesting, and most likely in a bad way.

It's hard for me to see Clinton getting picked as a VP running mate though. He managed to overcome scandal to win the nomination, but I can't see anyone wanting to take that on voluntary as a running mate.

It's hard for me to see Clinton getting picked as a VP running mate though. He managed to overcome scandal to win the nomination, but I can't see anyone wanting to take that on voluntary as a running mate.

In the end, Cuomo would probably feel he needed a Southern moderate. If the election had been held one year earlier, the spot probably would have gone to Ray Mabus. Unfortunately, he lost reelection in Mississippi.

Because I'm a nice guy, if anyone has any suggestions for 1990's pop culture that don't preclude anything I'm going to do, I'll consider it.

Thoughts?

Because I'm a nice guy, if anyone has any suggestions for 1990's pop culture that don't preclude anything I'm going to do, I'll consider it.

Thoughts?

Well, let's see. There's the obvious ones - improve the quality of Star Trek: Voyager (it's hard to do much worse!) and the Star Wars prequels (ditto!). Though, to be fair, I only know about the badness of these things second-hand, through the absolutely hilarious internet reviewers who turned complaining about them into an art form. But I guess that's a fair trade-off!

Of course, it would be good to have Burton and Keaton return for *Batman Forever, but obviously you already have plans for the franchise, so I won't attempt to get in the way. A related request: keep Clooney away from the Batsuit. In fact, keep Clooney away from movie stardom entirely. The people have TTL have suffered enough - they shouldn't have to humour the woefully misguided belief that he's the next Bogart or Brando. Rosemary deserves to remain the most famous Clooney in Hollywood.

In the world of TV? Get rid of the Ross/Rachel dance on "Friends" - have them stick together, or break up for good! Yanking everyone's chain for seven seasons just isn't right. As for "Seinfeld"? Better series finale. It's that simple. In fact, have Larry David stick with the show throughout its run. Oh, and have George actually go through with his marriage to Susan. More opportunities for comedy, being trapped in a marriage that, by all outward appearances, is a dream come true. More true to the character, too. "Everybody Loves Raymond"? Cancel it.

One additional question: Are you going to be covering video games, too? If so, I have loads more requests...

I'm sure I'll think of more, given time to ruminate. Thanks for giving me the opportunity! Still looking forward to the next part :)

One additional question: Are you going to be covering video games, too? If so, I have loads more requests...

Maybe, maybe not. I'm not as knowledgeable on video games as I am genre TV and movies, but we'll see (if you have some suggestions, have at them).

I think you're doing just fine on your own...

Now give me an update.

Hold your horses, Buckaroo Banzai!:D

I did update the other day, and I expect to put another one out by next weekend at the latest. I have homework and I've not been feeling well, among other impediments, but rest assured I've been brainstorming for this the whole time.

Well, let's see. There's the obvious ones - improve the quality of Star Trek: Voyager (it's hard to do much worse!) and the Star Wars prequels (ditto!). Though, to be fair, I only know about the badness of these things second-hand, through the absolutely hilarious internet reviewers who turned complaining about them into an art form. But I guess that's a fair trade-off!

Of course, it would be good to have Burton and Keaton return for *Batman Forever, but obviously you already have plans for the franchise, so I won't attempt to get in the way. A related request: keep Clooney away from the Batsuit. In fact, keep Clooney away from movie stardom entirely. The people have TTL have suffered enough - they shouldn't have to humour the woefully misguided belief that he's the next Bogart or Brando. Rosemary deserves to remain the most famous Clooney in Hollywood.

In the world of TV? Get rid of the Ross/Rachel dance on "Friends" - have them stick together, or break up for good! Yanking everyone's chain for seven seasons just isn't right. As for "Seinfeld"? Better series finale. It's that simple. In fact, have Larry David stick with the show throughout its run. Oh, and have George actually go through with his marriage to Susan. More opportunities for comedy, being trapped in a marriage that, by all outward appearances, is a dream come true. More true to the character, too. "Everybody Loves Raymond"? Cancel it.

I'm sure I'll think of more, given time to ruminate. Thanks for giving me the opportunity! Still looking forward to the next part :)
I should point out that a major reason for Voyager being the way it was in OTL was because it was the "flagship show", so there was lots of pressure from UPN to maintain the winning Next Generation formula (i.e. episodic stories, little character development, and plenty of technobabble) rather than taking risks like they could with Deep Space Nine (which was always the second-tier show). Just something to keep in mind if you choose to write about this. And by the way, it'd be very easy to make Voyager worse.

It's also very easy to make the Star Wars prequels worse. Oh, and here's a bit of background: Lucas first wrote up a brief outline of what the overall story of the trilogy would be sometime around 1994 or 1995 -- that's post-POD, so the films could end up very different depending on what influences Lucas. Oh, and some other stuff you could incorporate if you wanted: Lucas originally considered filming the prequels back-to-back-to-back (i.e. all three simultaneously) Lord of the Rings style, and later considered filming Episode I first and then doing Episodes II and III back-to-back. At an early stage, Lucas also wanted Frank Darabont to co-write the films with him (like Lawrence Kasdan did with Empire and Jedi) and possibly direct the second one as well.

And I heartily disagree with keeping George Clooney away from films. He's fantastic in Syriana and Good Night and Good Luck, and he's a lot of fun in the Ocean's movies. Batman & Robin seems to be the one exception -- I agree that Clooney shouldn't be Batman in any TL.

Clooney's a fantastic actor who has done some terrible films. He holds himself with dignity and swagger and I like him. I'm not sure I would keep him out of Batman, but I would keep everybody else from that installment. He could really have been a good Bruce Wayne in other circumstances, imho.

And yeah, try to make the prequels better (I recommend watching "The Phantom Edit"). Perhaps less pretty and only the absolute necessary CGI would go a long way too. Cast them better as well, methinks. You should have NO problem doing that.

Switching Keira Knightley and Natalie Portman as Sabe and Padme respectively might be interesting.

And by the way, it'd be very easy to make Voyager worse.
True. It could be as bad as Enterprise :p

ColeMercury said:
It's also very easy to make the Star Wars prequels worse.
Here's where I'm not sure if I agree with you. The fatal flaw affecting the prequel trilogy (if RedLetterMedia is to be believed) is the overall lack of effort by George Lucas, who whenever possible, created a situation that required less work on his behalf (hence the static camerawork, the pedestrian blocking, the insane over-reliance on chroma key and lack of location shooting), in addition to his stubborn refusal to take advice and compromise (someone close to the production actually warned him repeatedly about Jar-Jar and how poorly he was testing, but Lucas brushed him off, insisting that Jar-Jar was added for little kids - who also became entranced by the political intrigues and the myriad scenes on the floor of the senate :rolleyes:). I would argue that a co-director and/or co-writer would at least eliminate some of these factors. Even on a "least change" path with regards to the prequel films, you can butterfly away Jake Lloyd pretty easily (one of the final three Anakins, as seen in the making-of special, was actually pretty good! Maybe pick him instead).

ColeMercury said:
And I heartily disagree with keeping George Clooney away from films. He's fantastic in Syriana and Good Night and Good Luck, and he's a lot of fun in the Ocean's movies. Batman & Robin seems to be the one exception -- I agree that Clooney shouldn't be Batman in any TL.
Sorry - I don't buy him as anyone or anything but George "The Facts of Life" Clooney. Anytime he smiles, nods, or opens his mouth, it's "Hello, I'm George Clooney. Look at me!" And yes, I know everyone else seems to have bought into that, but he wanted to take requests, so that's mine. (Besides, I have my own timeline, and I can eliminate Clooney's career quite painlessly there. Uh, spoiler alert.)

Clooney's a fantastic actor who has done some terrible films. He holds himself with dignity and swagger and I like him. I'm not sure I would keep him out of Batman, but I would keep everybody else from that installment. He could really have been a good Bruce Wayne in other circumstances, imho.
Replace the highlighted words with "overrated", "smugness", and "arrogance", respectively, and you have it ;) And I notice that people seem to like defending his Bruce Wayne, probably because he is Clooney and they do not want to slight him. Look, it's okay. He was bad in Batman and Robin. Full stop. We don't have to make excuses for him. Even Olivier gave a few bad performances (and Olivier he is not).

TheInfiniteApe said:
And yeah, try to make the prequels better (I recommend watching "The Phantom Edit"). Perhaps less pretty and only the absolute necessary CGI would go a long way too. Cast them better as well, methinks. You should have NO problem doing that.
Now here's where I agree with you, 100%. (Please don't think I'm deluded for disliking The Great Clooney, everyone! :p) The best way to get what you're suggesting done is for Lucas to collaborate more openly with others. His second-in-command, Rick McCallum, is unfortunately a yes-man of the highest order, so it'll have to be someone else. ColeMercury's suggestion of Darabont might work - or, if you're feeling particularly morbid, you could always kill Lucas off entirely - he specifically left the filming of the prequels to Spielberg, who definitely would not do any worse than Lucas did. I also agree with casting changes, as already mentioned.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm not as knowledgeable on video games as I am genre TV and movies, but we'll see (if you have some suggestions, have at them).
All right, some general suggestions:

Prevent the EA Pac-Man from gobbling up some of the best developers in PC history: Origin, Bullfrog, Westwood, and Maxis. Origin is probably too late to save completely at this point, but at least keep them autonomous (and prevent Chris Roberts from leaving to pursue his ill-fated dream of becoming a movie director - that saves the Wing Commander franchise).

And when the time comes, please ensure more diversity in mainstream (or Triple-A, as they are known in the industry) titles than the endless parade of first-person shooters, all set in the same dreary brown-and-grey worlds. Spare the people of TTL the monotony we've all had to suffer through. That said, a neutral piece of advice: Doom will probably do even better ITTL. But that might work to my advantage; burnout from these kinds of games early on could result in a "deader than disco" effect.

And, in the interests of full disclosure, as a Nintendo fanboy and loyalist:

Prevent the split between Nintendo and Square. This means Final Fantasy VII (or 64, or whatever they'll call it) on the *Nintendo 64, which means the JRPG boom of the late 1990s will benefit that system (notoriously RPG-dry in OTL). The reason they had a falling out was because Nintendo wanted to stick with cartridges instead of switching to CD-based media (after the falling out with first Sony - leading to the PlayStation - and then Philips - leading to the CDi), and changing that might overlap too strongly with Cronus Invictus for your tastes, so I realize that's a long shot. But still... real, official sequel to Super Mario RPG! (Paper Mario never did it for me, sorry.)

A potential way to keep the relationship going is to have the 64DD add-on (think Sega CD for the N64) see the light ITTL. That might keep Square onside. It will also save "Earthbound 64", which later became Mother 3 for the Game Boy Advance (and, unfortunately, never saw an official release outside of Japan). A 64DD add-on almost certainly means another main-line Mario platformer in the late 1990s (the six-year gap between 64 and Sunshine IOTL remains the longest to date).

And, because I have a soft spot for Nintendo's old rival: keep Sega in the console game. Or at least have Sonic continue to appear in games similar to those from the Genesis era. (No weird redesign, no changing of Robotnik's name, no new friend in each game, etc.)

I realize I'm probably not going to have a lot of allies on some of my suggestions. Oh well. When all is said and done, vultan, this is your timeline, and you should do things the way you want them done. Thanks for giving all of us the opportunity to make some suggestions, but I'll definitely continue to read along no matter how many of them are followed :)

I'm a bit too young to really have well formed opions on 90's video games, though what I do know tells me that brainbin's above post is good advice. as for my own ideas, neversoft could certainly stand to make less tony hawk games and produce something better instead, Spiderman and Gun were both very good. in the case of westwood a different course for them might mean an expanded Dune franchise which would certainly be interesting. I generally do agree about less generic FPSs being an improvement but, I play quite alot of shooters myself, (mostly third person admittedly) and I'm of the opinion that it would be better than just trying to kill the genre if you were to edge out the hyper-aggressive military shooters. perhaps it could be something like science fiction replacing military situations as the stock shooter background. or maybe first person adventures remain more mainstream and developers make lots of those thereby reducing the number of shooters on the market. military shooters though probably can't be gotten rid of entirely, WWII is just such a low hanging fruit when it comes to setting. better sega performance though that most likely means that there will be no xbox :(. there's a chnce also that the james bond franchise in the 90s could have more good games, it would certainly be interesting to see james bond and one of the great series in gaming.

something to keep in mind though is that quite alot of what I've just said refers to post 1996 happenings, and there's really no reason to belive that the situation at that point will be anything like it was OTL at that time. different pop culture influences, different hits and flops, and the ideas that maybe no one had or managed to sell OTL could all certainly produce drastic change within the industry and the products it releases.

I just breezed through this, it's every bit as good as you get what you give!

Just one question before I subscribe:

What is the fate of Brandon Lee :D

True. It could be as bad as Enterprise :p
You mentioned before that you've never actually seen Voyager. Have you seen Enterprise?

Here's where I'm not sure if I agree with you. The fatal flaw affecting the prequel trilogy (if RedLetterMedia is to be believed) is the overall lack of effort by George Lucas, who whenever possible, created a situation that required less work on his behalf (hence the static camerawork, the pedestrian blocking, the insane over-reliance on chroma key and lack of location shooting), in addition to his stubborn refusal to take advice and compromise (someone close to the production actually warned him repeatedly about Jar-Jar and how poorly he was testing, but Lucas brushed him off, insisting that Jar-Jar was added for little kids - who also became entranced by the political intrigues and the myriad scenes on the floor of the senate :rolleyes:).
Yeah... none of those are fatal flaws. The real flaws of the films are in the actual stories and characterisations. And there are plenty of those, particularly in the second & third films. But however differently Lucas may originally conceive the story in TTL, there's potential there for the films to be either much better or much worse.

(Oh, and the "myriad scenes on the floor of the senate" thing? To my recollection, there's only one such scene in each film. And they're all pretty straightforward. The only problem is that they're not that interesting.)

(I can't believe I'm actually defending films I don't really like...)

Vultan -- another factoid for you. Lucas justified the way that the main story of The Phantom Menace didn't have much to the rest of the "saga" by saying that Episode I was his "last chance to do a Star Wars film mostly unrelated to the main story of the saga", since Episodes II and III would of course be expected to tie into the original trilogy. (And then he ended up making the Clone Wars movie in 2008. Sigh.) But yeah, it might be possible for you to use that bit of information one way or another.

I just breezed through this, it's every bit as good as you get what you give!

Just one question before I subscribe:

What is the fate of Brandon Lee :D

As of right now, same as OTL (The Crow doesn't come out until 1994). But yes, he survives getting shot.

And thanks!:)

You mentioned before that you've never actually seen Voyager. Have you seen Enterprise?
I have not; that was a joke, hence the :p (A cheap shot, I admit.)

ColeMercury said:
(Oh, and the "myriad scenes on the floor of the senate" thing? To my recollection, there's only one such scene in each film. And they're all pretty straightforward. The only problem is that they're not that interesting.)
I do tend to exaggerate :eek: But I think the point I was trying to make still holds: these movies are all over the place. Jar-Jar scenes and even one dead-serious, boring Senate scene in the same movie? That adds up to a shaky and inconsistent overall tone. (This complaint has also been leveled against Return of the Jedi, to be fair to the hallowed Original Trilogy.)

ColeMercury said:
(I can't believe I'm actually defending films I don't really like...)
You're playing Devil's Advocate. Nothing wrong with that. The objections I'm making against the prequel films aren't anything new, and they could use solid counter-arguments against them. And I will allow that they could be worse...

Here are some to think about;

-Godzilla: I am unashamedly a lobbyist for the King of the monsters :D. The second series was going, not strong, but going in Japan around this time. Godzilla vs. Mothra was released in 1992 and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2 would come out in 1993 (both could be changed up. I can pm you details). Also, Toho would be in the process of negotiating for a new attempt at an american Godzilla. I believe at this time the planned director was Jan De Bont and a script had been written by Terry Rossio and Ted Elliot.

-Doctor Who: There was a Doctor Who movie later in the nineties to bring the character back.

-Superman, Spiderman, Green Lantern, Fantastic Four: A lot of comic movies were in development during this period. Perhaps with keeping the "dark and gritty" attitude, some of these have a decent chance.

-I am legend, Creature from the Black Lagoon, King Kong: I think Cameron was making an adaptation of Richard Matheson's great novel, though I'm unsure of how faithful it would be. Also Universal would be planning remakes of Kong and/or the Creature, by a pre-LOTR Peter Jackson.

Aside from movies, the only other pop culture items I can think of are the "major changes" in DC's storylines: Superman dead, Batman crippled, Green Lantern driven mad and becoming a villain.

I hope this help and thank you!

Here are some to think about;

-Godzilla: I am unashamedly a lobbyist for the King of the monsters :D. The second series was going, not strong, but going in Japan around this time. Godzilla vs. Mothra was released in 1992 and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2 would come out in 1993 (both could be changed up. I can pm you details). Also, Toho would be in the process of negotiating for a new attempt at an american Godzilla. I believe at this time the planned director was Jan De Bont and a script had been written by Terry Rossio and Ted Elliot.

-Doctor Who: There was a Doctor Who movie later in the nineties to bring the character back.

-Superman, Spiderman, Green Lantern, Fantastic Four: A lot of comic movies were in development during this period. Perhaps with keeping the "dark and gritty" attitude, some of these have a decent chance.

-I am legend, Creature from the Black Lagoon, King Kong: I think Cameron was making an adaptation of Richard Matheson's great novel, though I'm unsure of how faithful it would be. Also Universal would be planning remakes of Kong and/or the Creature, by a pre-LOTR Peter Jackson.

Aside from movies, the only other pop culture items I can think of are the "major changes" in DC's storylines: Superman dead, Batman crippled, Green Lantern driven mad and becoming a villain.

I hope this help and thank you!

And, not sure when this was released, but Godzilla vs. king kong was not good at all IMO. Maybe we could see a completely different, good Godzilla movie instead?