The Politics of Respect: A British Political TL

Superb work - looked forward to every entry and enjoyed the ride. I’ll look up your other work.

Thanks for the timeline.

upload_2018-12-3_6-36-48.png
upload_2018-12-3_6-38-38.png

Alternative MPs
Liverpool Riverside and Walton (Rachael O’Byrne-Respect)

East Ham and Loxford (Linda Smith-Respect)

Hackney Central (Diane Abbott-Respect)

Newham South (Murad Qureshi-Respect)

Bow and Stratford (Puru Miah-Respect)

Birmingham Ladywood (Majid Mahmood-Respect)

Edmonton and Tottenham Hale (Seema Chandwani-Respect)

Manchester Central (Yasmine Dar-Respect)

Birmingham Perry Barr (Sharon Thompson-Respect)

Islington North (Kat Fletcher-Respect)

Leyton (Emine Ibrahim-Respect)

Manchester Gorton and Reddish North (Sam Wheeler-Respect)

Brixton (Michael Chessum-Respect)

Stamford Hill and South Tottenham (Kate Osamor-Respect)

Dulwich and Peckham (Amelia Womack-Green)

Bradford Central (Imran Hussain-Respect)

Islington South and Holborn (Sian Berry-Green)

Slough (Ruth Knight-Respect)

Bath (Eleanor Field-Green)

Deptford and Rotherhithe (Clive Lewis-Respect)

Bethnal Green and Shoreditch (Tommy Sheppard-Respect)

Sheffield Central (Natalie Bennett-Respect)

Newcastle upon Tyne East (David Stockdale-Respect)

Manchester Withington (Laura Bannister-Green)

Willesden (Emma Rees-Respect)

Leicester South (Liz Yeates-Respect)

Oxford East (Caroline Lucas-Green)

Clapham and Streatham (Yannis Gourtsoyannis-Respect)

Lewisham South (Darren Johnson-Green)

Greenwich and Lewisham Central (Romayne Phoenix-Green)

Hornsey and Wood Green (Sam Hall-Green)

York Central (Jonathan Tyler-Green)

Leeds North (Andrew Pointon-Green)

Bristol South (Jerry Hicks-Respect)

Birmingham Hall Green (Salma Yaqoob-Respect)

Camden Town and Regent’s Park (Owen Jones-Respect)

Poplar and Stepney (Abdul Sheikh-Respect)

Bristol East (Naomi Rylatt-Respect)

Hammersmith and Acton (Nadine Houghton-Respect)

Brighton Pavilion (Keith Taylor-Green)

Norwich South (Rupert Read-Green)

Cardiff Central (Jake Griffiths-Green)

Bristol West (Molly Scott Cato-Green)

Exeter (Diana Moore-Green)

Cambridge (Stuart Tuckwood-Green)

Hove (Lloyd Russell-Moyle-Respect)

Plymouth Sutton (Libby Brown-Green)

Portsmouth East (Ian McCulloch-Green)

Reading East (Sarah Hacker-Respect)

Brighton East and Seahaven (Alex Phillips-Green)

Sheffield Heeley (Janet Ridler-Respect)

Nottingham East (Cecile Wright-Respect)

Southampton Test (Lyn Brayshaw-Green)

Bermondsey and South Bank (Shane Collins-Green)

Newcastle upon Tyne Central (Alison Whalley-Green)

Luton South (Mohammed Ilyas-Respect)

Leicester East (Nimit Jethwa-Respect)

Leeds Metropolitan and Ossett (Liz Davies-Respect)

Huddersfield (Andrew Cooper- Green)

Cardiff West (Annabelle Harle-Respect)

Hampstead and Kilburn (John Mansook-Green)

Battersea and Vauxhall (Esther Obiri-Darko-Green)

City of Durham (Jonathan Elmer-Green)

Liverpool Wavertree (Tom Crone-Green)

Last edited:
One thing I don't think I saw mentioned was this which could have affected things.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-to-launch-party-to-rival-labour-9231266.html

Would have been funny to see a Respect/Green/United Workers Alliance.
I think in this TL, it would more likely that those who wanted to set up the new Workers Party simply join Respect instead. To some extent, that actually happened ITTL, with a string of left wing unions affiliating to them. Unite ultimately didn't because I believe that McCluskey's actions don't live up to his rhetoric. A lot of the stuff he says in public is aimed at shoring up his own power. Hence why he pretends to be more left wing than he actually is (though Unite endorsed Corbyn in 2015, he personally wanted it to be Burnham) by calling for deselections and publicly criticising the right of the party when it serves little obvious purpose.

So I had him flirt with the idea of Unite cutting its ties with Labour and affiliating to Respect ITTL, but not ultimately going through with it, because he was ultimately more motivated by a desire to appeal to left wing activists and increase his leverage over the Labour leadership than by any intention he had to support Respect. I suspect the calls for a new party IOTL were for similar reasons.

That said, the calls for Unite to join Respect might be too loud to ignore after the results of the General Election.

Last edited:
Can't leave us hanging after saying that

Nothing I'd want to say in public but he's actually the kind of person I could 100% see as an MP. He is, whatever else you can say about him, incredibly committed. He's basically dragged the greens into some kind of competitiveness in durham by himself (him and his wife basically run the local greens), he's been behind the best leaflets I've ever seen in Durham and during every campaign he's the most active despite having no where near the activist support labour or the lib dems do.

I'd be honestly surprised if there was a single house in his ward he hadn't door knocked personally at least four times over the last few years. And you're talking about ten thousand houses there.

I wouldn't ever want him to get real power in OTL but I was impressed by the choice of picking him as MP. Durham is full of left wing union types and it would have been easy for politibrit to pick one of those types as his mp for durham but no it would have been Jonathan to get the nomination, I'm sure of it. It shows the author knows his subject.

Last edited:
I wouldn't ever want him to get real power in OTL but I was impressed by the choice of picking him as MP. Durham is full of left wing union types and it would have been easy for politibrit to pick one of those types as his mp for durham but no it would have been Jonathan to get the nomination, I'm sure of it. It shows the author knows his subject.
To be honest, he was one of the ones I researched the least for this list. I had the seat earmarked as one where a Green would be nominated (being a university town, it fits their profile better than Respect) and given that their wasn't a great deal of info on other Greens who are active in the area, Elmer seemed my best bet.

I think in this TL, it would more likely that those who wanted to set up the new Workers Party simply join Respect instead. To some extent, that actually happened ITTL, with a string of left wing unions affiliating to them. Unite ultimately didn't because I believe that McCluskey's actions don't live up to his rhetoric. A lot of the stuff he says in public is aimed at shoring up his own power. Hence why he pretends to be more left wing than he actually is (though Unite endorsed Corbyn in 2015, he personally wanted it to be Burnham) by calling for deselections and publicly criticising the right of the party when it serves little obvious purpose.

So I had him flirt with the idea of Unite cutting its ties with Labour and affiliating to Respect ITTL, but not ultimately going through with it, because he was ultimately more motivated by a desire to appeal to left wing activists and increase his leverage over the Labour leadership than by any intention he had to support Respect. I suspect the calls for a new party IOTL were for similar reasons.

That said, the calls for Unite to join Respect might be too loud to ignore after the results of the General Election.
How do you know that he preferred Burnham to Corbyn in 2015?

Is that The New Statesman? I've wondered about McCluskey too. He doesn't seem overly scrupulous and he isn't too keen on party democracy I fear.

Zwinglian

Banned
Electoral reform is gonna become a major issue in the future with Cameron winning a majority with less than 30% of the vote

Electoral reform is gonna become a major issue in the future with Cameron winning a majority with less than 30% of the vote
Most certainly, but the current government is going to be decidely reluctant to do anything about it for obvious reasons. Labour might be persuaded to back it as part of any future cooperation with the Alternative though.

What a cracking TL. There's not that much twenty-first century stuff on here that I like, and certainly nothing that grabbed my attention as much as this did. Really great work, I wonder what the future holds for the Alternative as the world moves into 2019 and beyond

By popular demand:

Alternative Shadow Cabinet (2018- )

Lead Spokesperson-Tommy Sheppard (Respect)

Shadow Spokesperson for Economy and Finance/Deputy Lead Spokesperson-Molly Scott Cato (Green)

Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury -Emine Ibrahim (Respect)

Shadow Home Secretary-Darren Johnson (Green)

Shadow Foreign Secretary-Salma Yaqoob (Respect)

Shadow Climate Change Secretary-Caroline Lucas (Green)

Shadow Justice Secretary-Sam Wheeler (Respect)

Shadow Defence and Disarmament Secretary-Kate Osamor (Respect)

Shadow Business Secretary-Clive Lewis (Respect)

Shadow Labour and Social Security Secretary, Deputy Leader of Respect Party-Linda Smith (Respect)

Shadow Health and Social Care Secretary-Yannis Gourtsoyannis (Respect)

Shadow Education Secretary-Kat Fletcher(Respect)

Shadow Communities and Local Government Secretary-Sian Berry (Green)

Shadow Housing Secretary-Murad Qureshi (Respect)

Shadow Transport Secretary-Diane Abbott (Respect)

Shadow Environmental Protection and Animal Welfare Secretary-Keith Taylor (Green)

Shadow International Development Secretary-Romayne Phoenix (Green)

Shadow Culture, Media and Sport Secretary-Shane Collins (Green)

Shadow Northern Ireland Secretary-Jake Griffiths (Green)

Shadow Wales Secretary- Annabelle Harle (Respect)

Shadow Scotland Secretary-John Davidson (Respect Scotland)

Shadow Women and Equalities Secretary, Deputy Leader of the Green Party-Amelia Womack (Green)

Campaign Chair-Owen Jones (Respect)

Also Attending Shadow Cabinet

Shadow Spokesperson for Political Reform and Direct Democracy-Andrew Cooper (Green)

Shadow Spokesperson for BAME and Diverse Communities- Esther Obiri-Darko (Green)

Shadow Leader of the House of Commons-Yasmine Dar (Respect)

Shadow Minister for Europe-Majid Mahmood (Respect)

Leader of the Respect Party in the House of Nations and Regions-Valerie Wise (Respect)

Leader of the Green Party of England and Wales in the House of Nations and Regions-Shahrar Ali (Green)

Respect Party Chief Whip- Imran Hussain (Respect)

Green Party Chief Whip- Tom Crone (Green)