The Last Eagle: Redux

Well, he wasn't called The Ogre in 1798... And it would be hard to this timeline to be "The Last Eagle" if Nappy don't make it to the Imperial throne.

Keep it good, King of Rome ;)

Titus_Pullo

Banned
Well, he wasn't called The Ogre in 1798... And it would be hard to this timeline to be "The Last Eagle" if Nappy don't make it to the Imperial throne.

Keep it good, King of Rome ;)

Ah. ok. After a couple of close calls will we see a more cautious Napoleon less willing to test fate which will be reflected in his wiser foreign policies?

Thank you kindly Remicas.

Appreciate it euromellows, I hope it can compare well without seeming too familiar.

Love the enthusiasm Titus, and you are seeing the big picture here.

Ah. ok. After a couple of close calls will we see a more cautious Napoleon less willing to test fate which will be reflected in his wiser foreign policies?

"Wiser foreign policies"? then give me two examples of those policies(I ask for two because the one is widely known...)

"Wiser foreign policies"? then give me two examples of those policies(I ask for two because the one is widely known...)
Wiser than OTL. For example he could actually listen to his councellors in this TL.

'Foreign'? what do you exactly mean by that?

In the first version of The Last Eagle, the protagonists were mostly French, so we didn't really know about the mindstate of foreign caracters (beside a few Brits and a greek princess).

Why was he called the Ogre?
Because the Napoleonic Wars caused a lot of death, so people (even in France after the failure of the russian campaign in 1812 and the mass conscription after it) saw progressively saw him as an ever-hungry monster of war and death. In 1798 he was still merely one of many French generals.

Wiser than OTL. For example he could actually listen to his councellors in this TL.

In the first version of The Last Eagle, the protagonists were mostly French, so we didn't really know about the mindstate of foreign caracters (beside a few Brits and a greek princess).

Because the Napoleonic Wars caused a lot of death, so people (even in France after the failure of the russian campaign in 1812 and the mass conscription after it) saw progressively saw him as an ever-hungry monster of war and death. In 1798 he was still merely one of many French generals.

Modern Historians have seen the light and Napoleon has the place he rightfully deserves in European history and a lately published book in Amazon proves who was principally responsible for the so called Napoleonic Wars.

I thought the princess was Russian living in Greece(or am I wrong?)

The so called Napoleonic Wars were caused mainly by British intervention in European(paying gold to the Austrians and Prussians) affairs and the wars of revolution had to fight almost the whole of Europe."France was not going to accept the violations of its free will by foreigners who wanted to reinstitute the "Ancient Regime." (Talleyrand in the table of Amiens...)
So naturally the losses...however the name started in Englang who were doing everything to maintain the status quo ante.

I can see you cannot point out unwise policies of Napoleon,I will help:the Continental embargo was the principal error since it caused more harm to the European trade than the English one and caused the Czar of Russia to exit the embargo
followed by the war and Napoleon's invasion of Russia.

Let's view the other side of the coin as well. It is not the time and place for this argument and you didn't raise it,but I would like to suggest that these titles do not become Napoleon who really left and everlasting mark in European history
with works that live on today.

Last edited:
Modern Historians have seen the light and Napoleon has the place he rightfully deserves in European history and a lately published book in Amazon proves who was principally responsible for the so called Napoleonic Wars.
Can you gave me the title and author of this book?

I thought the princess was Russian living in Greece(or am I wrong?)

The so called Napoleonic Wars were caused mainly by British intervention in European(paying gold to the Austrians and Prussians) affairs and the wars of revolution had to fight almost the whole of Europe."France was not going to accept the violations of its free will by foreigners who wanted to reinstitute the "Ancient Regime." (Talleyrand in the table of Amiens...)
So naturally the losses...however the name started in Englang who were doing everything to maintain the status quo ante.

I can see you cannot point out unwise policies of Napoleon,I will help:the Continental embargo was the principal error since it caused more harm to the European trade than the English one and caused the Czar of Russia to exit the embargo
followed by the war and Napoleon's invasion of Russia.

Let's view the other side of the coin as well. It is not the time and place for this argument and you didn't raise it,but I would like to suggest that these titles do not become Napoleon who really left and everlasting mark in European history
with works that live on today.

I agree with everything you said, don't worry. I never said the wars was Napoleon's fault, just how he was seen, notably thanks to British propaganda and others members of the coalitions at that time.

Last edited:
Geller_Suvorov.jpg

SUVOROV

Alexander smiled as the children played outside the church, waiting for their gossiping parents to finish. The children noticed him, and ran over to embrace the smiling, elderly man. He tossed one into the air and then caught her, gently placing the giggling girl back on her feet.

The warmth and exuberance of childhood seemed to always provide him a little cheer. He waved farewell to them and began his leisurely stroll back to his estate. The man could have easily been picked up by his coach, but he enjoyed walking through town after church; everyone was out and about around that hour. The man tipped his hat to many whom recognized him, and he even stopped to chat with a baker who had a habit of sending rolls up to his estate at the beginning of each month. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary until he was almost out of town, and spotted a carriage in the distance. He knew automatically that it was not his, his servants had been given explicit instructions. In that case, the man could only think of a handful of people who would take the trouble to come visit him…

Alexander Suvorov began to whistle as he made his way back home.

The envoy of the Tsar of All Russians was a straight-backed man with an overwhelming air of superiority. Suvorov could hardly believe after trading introductions with the man that he had lowered himself to come out to the estate! He felt that the envoy felt the whole task was far beneath him, “And so, general, I have arrived on behalf of his holy, imperial, and gracious majesty to bestow a message. I speak with the voice of Tsar Paul, his Imperial Majesty, in that the letter I poses is legal. If you will.”

The envoy placed the sealed letter in the crook of his arm and offered it to Alexander.

The ex-officer simply smiled, took the paper, and said, “Thank you.” He hoped the man’s pride had been insulted, but the excitement from the letter drew his attention. Suvorov opened the document and greedily read the print. His body tingled as he felt anticipation and adrenaline flow through his veins. The aged commander chuckled, “Today is the day… I knew the Tsar was insulted after Malta fell, and it seems France has pushed too far; the tsar is no fan of grand expansion. I have been following France’s campaigns closely, you know? I believe it is important to monitor the military activities of all of our European brethren.” Suvorov placed the letter on his desk and rifled through documents, “I have reports from all of this General Bonaparte’s major engagements, including his recent victory in Egypt. A skilled one that is; it makes me wish to test him personally.”

The envoy merely stared, “I would hope not.”

General Suvorov grabbed his coat, “Who knows, who knows. I would gladly fight him under the Pyramids or under the Alps. I must go quickly though, there is much to do; I have an army to command!”

Last edited:
Can you gave me the title and author of this book?

Thanks for asking.I came across it in a HistoryNet.com question I participated and it was mentioned there along with a very extensive review which I read and I have a bird's eye view of the book.It is a new one and I will search for it in my computer and as soon as I find it I will
let you know.

Suvorov vs Napoleon

Now thats Awesome

I will only say one thing that may sound strange to some,but those two men belong to different chapters of Military History;look at their ages:Suvorov belongs to the period of compact or undivibed armies
while Napoleon belongs to the period of structured or vertebrate armies and that removes the main of Suvorov's advantages:manoevre,at least originally.

Last edited:
300px-Louis_charles_desaix.jpg

GENERAL DESAIX
The Orient was the land of gloire according to General Bonaparte. Europe was spent, but their was great opportunity in the East.

All Louis Desaix saw was sand. Sand, sand, and more sand. He was constantly reviewing his troops and their fortifications, going through supply numbers, moving from strongpoint to strongpoint to ensure the French maintained a heavy but benevolent hand: all of this activity and he could not escape that menace. It perpetually haunted him, like an angry phantasm not willing to let some family curse become forgotten. It haunted him in his boots, in his bed, and occasionally in his food. He made a daily vow that after his military career was over, he would devote his life to never seeing a granule of sand ever again.

And now that he was in the so called “Upper Egypt,” hunting down Murad Bey, he felt a supreme sense of homesickness. This was not his land, the Mussulmans reminded him whenever they could. The sand and hostility gradually wearing down the man’s resolve. He was even beginning to hear word of some large-scale revolt in Cairo, though as quickly as that rumor started spreading, a new one cut it down. Bonaparte had apparently violently crushed the revolt, leaving few survivors. The only message Desaix had received from Cairo during the entire time were more troops.

“General!” The excited cry made Desaix flinch.

He pivoted on his horse to see an excited officer galloping his way. The way the young officer rode made Desaix jump to one conclusion: A sandstorm was coming. He sighed heavily and slumped over in his seat. Life in the land of gloire.

“General! General! We have him! The cavalry detachment from Cairo has discovered the Bey!” The young officer’s horse came to a trot as he closed in on Desaix and his staff.

The general straightened up, “Where is he?”

“A tiny village a couple of kilometers east from here, had they not accidentally tumbled upon him, he might have passed by unnoticed! They have him and his guard surrounded!”

Desaix snapped into action, barking orders to his staff. He thanked the young officer and gathered up his horse guard. Bonparte has increased all of his general’s guards upon landing in Egypt. An odd move, but one Desaix now appreciated. “Come, my brothers! Let us lead the charge that slays the Bey!” His men cheered, and began to gallop east.

For once, Desaix did not mind as the sand whipped up around his face.