The Invasion of 1812, A Northumbrian Survival Timeline

I'll accept the victory and aftermath with the Scots as they were obviously fighting a war only their King wanted. However not the French:confused:
They have just mounted a successful landing and invasion of southern Anglia. Their officers can't be so incompetent as to ignore the different coloured uniforms. The Chevalier surely would at least have sent a patrol to investigate the scouts' reports especially as they were consistent with each other. However if the commands HAVE to come from the Count then he should have disturbed him given the reports*.
Even if the French have been defeated by everyone else on the continent and think that Anglia is easy pickings they couldn't be that stupid could they?
The victory isn't the problem just the ease and lack of Northumbrian casualties (relatively speaking).
*PS I'll accept given your wording that the Count thought similarly :)

Well at Oporto 12 May 1809 in OTL the French managed to mistake British uniforms for those of Swiss troops allies to them. Incidents of a general overruling subordinates on a matter where he 'knows' his assessment to be true are common place. After all you have to have a certain amount self-belief (some would say arrogance) to be a good officer.

Here he does not mistake that he is facing an enemy, merely assumes it is the wrong enemy.

I quite see your point, but even seasoned officers do make mistakes and the French army was top-heavy with aristocratic nonentities, such as the chevalier. The Northumbrians had the element of near total surprise and shock. The French were unnerved by much larger forces than they thought possible and a foe they thought was still in Scotland. Given the French fleet, the Northumbrians shouldn't have been able to pull it off, but the French were further south guarding supply routes. But don't worry. It isn't all this easy, especially now that they have lost the element of surprise. There will be many more casualties and the French still outnumber the Anglians.
But please do continue with your constructive criticism. It helps me to gauge the fine line between creativity and credibility.

I'll accept the victory and aftermath with the Scots as they were obviously fighting a war only their King wanted. However not the French:confused:
They have just mounted a successful landing and invasion of southern Anglia. Their officers can't be so incompetent as to ignore the different coloured uniforms. The Chevalier surely would at least have sent a patrol to investigate the scouts' reports especially as they were consistent with each other. However if the commands HAVE to come from the Count then he should have disturbed him given the reports*.
Even if the French have been defeated by everyone else on the continent and think that Anglia is easy pickings they couldn't be that stupid could they?
The victory isn't the problem just the ease and lack of Northumbrian casualties (relatively speaking).
*PS I'll accept given your wording that the Count thought similarly :)

Well at Oporto 12 May 1809 in OTL the French managed to mistake British uniforms for those of Swiss troops allies to them. Incidents of a general overruling subordinates on a matter where he 'knows' his assessment to be true are common place. After all you have to have a certain amount self-belief (some would say arrogance) to be a good officer.

Here he does not mistake that he is facing an enemy, merely assumes it is the wrong enemy.

Thanks. That's pretty well what I was going for. Also, the Northumbrians are an almost totally unknown quantity to the French who have not kept up with recent developments. I do think that Lindseyman has a point though. I do need to know if some people think I'm straining credibility. Thanks to both of you for your comments. I welcome more from all.

Nullas anxietas.
Even given my nit-picking it is very nice to see the invaders being given a sound thrashing for their impudence in invading our sceptered isle (even though that phrase would not have been written ITTL (unless Mercia has produced a Shakespeare analogue?))

Nullas anxietas.
Even given my nit-picking it is very nice to see the invaders being given a sound thrashing for their impudence in invading our sceptered isle (even though that phrase would not have been written ITTL (unless Mercia has produced a Shakespeare analogue?))

Nit-picking is good. It helps me to improve my work. Glad to see your Northumbrian TL is rolling again. I wish I had your map-making skills. This TL needs a really good map of Europe. It gave me fits even producing Anglia.

Nit-picking is good. It helps me to improve my work. Glad to see your Northumbrian TL is rolling again. I wish I had your map-making skills. This TL needs a really good map of Europe. It gave me fits even producing Anglia.

Map Making skills?:eek:
Base Maps and Paint are the limits of my abilities!
Where have the other French Armies got to and are they meeting much resistance?

Map Making skills?:eek:
Base Maps and Paint are the limits of my abilities!
Where have the other French Armies got to and are they meeting much resistance?

Well, I used a base map too, but couldn't figure out the paint.

Bristol is besieged. Half of East Anglia has fallen, as has S. Mercia. Edward XIV represents the unexpected thorn in the side threatening lines of communications and supplies. The French are still very dangerous.

Alençon reacts

[FONT=&quot]15th June 1812, Newmarket[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8 a.m, French Headquarters, The Army of Kent[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Duke of Alençon had acted swiftly and decisively when he had learned of De Langeron’s death and defeat. Reports were very confused, but it was clear that Edward XIV had somehow moved his forces from Scotia and was in his rear. Quite how the barbarous northerners had defeated a corps of French troops he could not imagine, but he was an experienced general and would take no undue risks. De Langeron had always been overly languorous and his troops lacked the seasoning and steadiness of other French formations. That was why he had kept him in reserve in the first place. Well, regretfully, he had broken off his pursuit of the torn and bleeding forces of Redwald XII, turned back from Cambridge and marched on the enemy forces. His carefully arrayed scouts had just reported back on the closing enemy, masses of dark green-clad infantry, cavalry in black, and a large formation in scarlet and gold. It was a large army. King Edward must have emptied his barracks. He had always argued for more reconnaissance and intelligence of the north, but it was not thought necessary. The Scotians would pin them down and once the large but backward Mercian forces were overrun what could possibly stand against a French army of [FONT=&quot]over one[/FONT] hundred thousand men. Well, now that army was smaller. The Anglians were fighting hard for their homeland and showing an unexpected toughness and resolve. He, Alençon, must right the wrongs of his complacent superiors and incompetent subordinates. Well, he was used to that. Alençon gave his orders in a calm and unhurried manner. The army responded quickly and efficiently. He would let Edward XIV make the first move and then he would test the mettle of the northerner.[/FONT]

Last edited:
Hum I began to understand why the French scatter gunned their men so broadly around the south. Lots of troops to try and feed in one place. I don't know what you have planned but I have to wonder how many exactly of [FONT=&quot]Alençon[/FONT]'s men are the right side of the Channel, it takes a while to shift 200 K men, plus horses, wagons and guns for them and the weather can be a bit dicey :D

Still watching with immense interest...Edward XIV could find life rather more exciting than he cares for!

Hum I began to understand why the French scatter gunned their men so broadly around the south. Lots of troops to try and feed in one place. I don't know what you have planned but I have to wonder how many exactly of [FONT=&quot]Alençon[/FONT]'s men are the right side of the Channel, it takes a while to shift 200 K men, plus horses, wagons and guns for them and the weather can be a bit dicey :D

Still watching with immense interest...Edward XIV could find life rather more exciting than he cares for!

The entire army crossed during the course of March and April. It is split into four main armies with six corps and 19 divisions. [FONT=&quot]Alençon commands one of the four armies. [/FONT]That might be WWII sized divisions. Correct me if Napoleonic were smaller. Edward and [FONT=&quot]Alençon have similarly sized forces at Newmarket, but [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Alençon is the best general that Edward has faced. It could be tricky, but the Anglians know that one defeat finishes them. [FONT=&quot]What [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Alençon doesn't know yet is the effect of Marsden rifles.[/FONT]

Last edited:
The entire army crossed during the course of March and April. It is split into four main armies with six corps and 19 divisions. That might be WWII sized divisions. Correct me if Napoleonic were smaller. Edward and [FONT=&quot]Alençon have similarly sized forces at Newmarket, but [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Alençon is the best general that Edward has faced. It could be tricky, but the Anglians know that one defeat finishes them. [FONT=&quot]What [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Alençon doesn't know yet is the effect of Marsden rifles.[/FONT]

Yes Napoleonic divisions tended to be smaller, essentially the artillery needed less ammo and there were fewer service and support troops. A good rule of thumb is that a division is the smallest formation that includes everything it needs to operate independently and a corps (army corps) is the largest body of men (and guns and horses) that can deploy from one road in one day.

So your numbers do not actually sound that far off.

Hm, 200k seems a bit much for one of several French Armies, I guess he means 200k for the entire invasion. Still, that must represent most of French military might. If they get mauled, their borders are wide open. It's a bit of a gamble.
Logistics dictate that they just can't concentrate so many troops, they can't provision them in any place outside the major ports of London and possibly Bristol, and even then it will be a logistical nightmare.
It also means that Black Edward sits on their supply line. At this time of the year, grain stocks are getting low, and since the fighting was relatively static for a month, the countryside must've been picked clean. Nothing to forage there, so the french army there, 60-80k troops tops, will have to dislodge the Northumbrians quickly before they starve.

Or plunder locally. You are correct that the entire invasion is 200K. The Army of Kent is rather less than it was. The 200K does represent a large part of the French Army, but certainly not all. Their border with Germania-Polonia is still garrisoned. Thanks for the comments.

Hm, 200k seems a bit much for one of several French Armies, I guess he means 200k for the entire invasion. Still, that must represent most of French military might. If they get mauled, their borders are wide open. It's a bit of a gamble.
Logistics dictate that they just can't concentrate so many troops, they can't provision them in any place outside the major ports of London and possibly Bristol, and even then it will be a logistical nightmare.
It also means that Black Edward sits on their supply line. At this time of the year, grain stocks are getting low, and since the fighting was relatively static for a month, the countryside must've been picked clean. Nothing to forage there, so the french army there, 60-80k troops tops, will have to dislodge the Northumbrians quickly before they starve.

Last edited:
Battle of Newmarket

[FONT=&quot]10 a.m, Battle of Newmarket[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Alençon and Edward had made their dispositions. Both had strong reserves. Alençon had split his cavalry between both wings and concentrated half of the artillery in the centre and a quarter on each wing. Edward had once again concentrated a force on one wing. After an initial heavy cannonade from both sides, the Northumbrians advanced. Their column on the left was intercepted by French cavalry which was beaten off with difficulty, but bloodily by Prince Edward. Northumbrian cavalry supported the infantry squares. When the column once again advanced, they found the French right strengthened by reserves. A very tough slogging match ensued. Both sides fought with discipline and courage. Northumbrian probes on the right were contained. Neither side broke the other, but the French withdrew in good order at the end of the day. Casualties were heavy on both sides, but the Marsden rifle had taken a heavier toll on the French:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]French killed 1,500, wounded 1,600, captured 400.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]North killed 820, wounded 1,070.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12,500 French and 16,000 Northumbrians remained.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Battle of Braintree

[FONT=&quot]The French forces retreat towards Colchester. They eschew further engagements, shocked by the discipline and firepower of the Northumbrians. Skirmishes and skillful rearguard actions follow which frustrate the attempts to bring them to battle. Alençon evades Edward for a week, but is finally brought to bear at Braintree. He has lost in the cavalry arm disproportionately due to the battle of Newmarket and the rearguard actions.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]23rd June, Battle of Braintree[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Edward XIV sends 5th Brigade and a Highland Regiment on a flanking march around the French right. 6th Brigade flanks the other side. The main force advances slowly after a long cannonade. Their rifle fire hits the French hard. Alençon sees the trap and begins to withdraw, leaving a division and half the artillery to fight a rearguard. The main force escapes, but the rearguard is very severely mauled. Elements manage to escape, but much of the artillery is lost. Edward’s cavalry harries the French, but they withdraw in good order. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]French killed 800, wounded 800, captured 600.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]North killed 400, wounded 300.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10,600 French and 15,300 Northumbrians remained. 2,400 French had been wounded at Newmarket and Braintree. Of these, 800 were amongst the captives, 400 were killed by local peasants on the field and 1,200 were evacuated. About 400 of these are fit to fight again. 11,000 French therefore remain. The Northumbrians now have a distinct advantage numerically over Alençon.[/FONT]

East Anglia liberated

[FONT=&quot]26th June: Battle of Broomfield[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Northumbrian cavalry once again brings the French to bear. Their attempt to leave a rear-guard to fend it off fails after Prince Edward breaks through their meagre cavalry screen. The French are forced to form squares. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Alençon brings up his artillery to drive off the cavalry, but is unable to retreat before the main Northumbrian army arrives. French morale is quite strained in this difficult position and after a series of defeats. Edward XIV keeps his cavalry in readiness and softens up the French line with a long cannonade. Much of the remnants of Alençon’s artillery is knocked out of action during the bombardment. Edward then orders a slow infantry advance with continuous rifle fire. The cavalry remains on the wings. The French hold under heavy fire for three hours, but then show signs of buckling. Edward XIV personally leads the whole Royal Guard, previously in reserve, in a charge which breaks the French line. The army as a whole then advances and the French finally break in disorder. The Northumbrian cavalry then harried the army mercilessly. The baggage train and last remnants of artillery were captured intact as well as Alençon and his staff. The king treated the Duke with great courtesy as befitted a valiant and gallant adversary. Much of the French Army of Kent was killed or captured in the battle and its aftermath. Almost all of the wounded were captured. Only 4,900 troops, mostly infantry, are able to reach London. 1,200 were killed and 1,000 wounded in the battle with 3,900 captured excluding the wounded. The French had suffered badly from their cut supply lines and consequent shortage of ammunition. The Northumbrians lost 400 killed and 500 wounded, but 500 of those wounded previously were able to rejoin the army. 14,900 Northumbrians remained.[/FONT]

The East Anglian campaign demonstrated that Northumbrian discipline was equal to the French and their advantage in firepower significantly greater. This alone enabled them to inflict heavier casualties on an able French commander after their spectacular surprise attack had evened the numbers of the opposing armies. Edward XIV’s tactical flair only compounded this. The progressive loss of French artillery crippled their responses to the Northumbrians. [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
Redwald XII was able to rest and resupply his army, replace his losses with new levies and integrate the captured French artillery into his forces. Edward gladly sold it to him. The East Anglian campaign destroyed two thirds of the Army of Kent. The retreating remnant were badly demoralised. [/FONT]

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]26th June: Battle of Broomfield[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:[/FONT]

...snipped for length...
[FONT=&quot]The East Anglian campaign demonstrated that Northumbrian discipline was equal to the French and their advantage in firepower significantly greater. [/FONT]

I think Edward's army might be beginning to feel the strain at this point. The big artillery duels with the French would cost them. The Marsden Rifle is nice for the infantry and possibly for the cavalry, if you can persuade them to stop waggling their sabres but artillery is still the killing arm.

Historically French artillery has been quite good. In fact in many periods it set the standard including OTL including the C18th and early C19th.

Edward can still win but he is going to want to think about how he goes about it.

Yes, agreed though the French kept losing chunks of it to capture or being overrun. Tactics will come more into play now.

I have been reconstructing the numbers for the armies which I had never stated and realised that De Langeron's II Corps was 18,000 men. It had three divisions, each therefore of 6,000 men, not 10,000, as I had previously stated. This lowers the size of the French invasion army from 190,000 to 114,000 men. This should still have been an overwhelming force. Sorry for the error. Edward himself had about a corps worth of men at the beginning. I was just reconstructing the various French armies and fleets and will now post that.