The Great British Ward BAM

Hello there, today I have a little project. I apologise if it has been done before.

This is similar to the county council map from the Electoral Maps thread, but covers every single ward (and district council division) in Great Britain, and is a lot less professional. It is not a perfect map, with all borders being several units thick, but it was relatively simple to generate, needing QGIS, a bit of stitching together images, and a little image manipulation.

Seeing the US Township BAM made me realise we might want an equivalent for the UK, showing the lowest administrative subdivision that is commonly seen. The map does not include the following:
  • Wards within the City of London: these were just too small. The whole City is displayed as one area, but is similar in area and population to wards from the boroughs nearby.
  • Orkney and Shetland: Whilst it would be easy to include these islands this is primarily a map for Great Britain. That said this does include the Hebrides, Yns Mon and the Isle of Wight.
  • The coastline: In some coastal areas the borders are very weird, curving out to sea. This problem is particularly common on Merseyside and in Essex. Aberdeen's wards also seem to bulge out for no particular reason.
  • County council divisions: I used the lowest subdivisions available.
  • Northern Ireland.
I strongly advise editing the map in GIMP if possible, both MS Paint and Paint.net struggle to deal with the size of the file. If you crop it you can use it in MS Paint though. I doubt you will need the full map but it is always easy to crop sections.

This is a sample of what the Ward BAM looks like, taken from my home city. Every ward is covered and is quite big, but the borders are obviously thicker than would be ideal. I will try to refine the borders but that could prove a Pyrrhic victory. And I do not feel like tracing 8000 wards by hand (though I will if I have to).
upload_2017-8-20_1-51-25.png

hHmCpKC.png

Important note, these borders are accurate as of May 2017. Areas that see border changes will be out of date. I can update the map when new data comes out in May and December each year, and if there are wholesale changes then I'll do this quite fast.

This uses the OS Border data, which is open data but © Crown copyright and database right 2017.

Seeing the US Township BAM made me realise we might want an equivalent for the UK, showing the lowest administrative subdivision that is commonly seen. The map does not include the following:

I'd disagree with the wards being the best option here- that would be the Parishes/Welsh Communities more than anything else.

And yes there are some none-parished areas, quite extensive ones in areas like London and Manchester in fact, but they're a lot more stable.

Still, good work.

Wards aren't actually an administrative division as such. Yes, there are officials elected to represent individual wards. But the administrative body they work within covers a borough, not an individual ward.

That said, this map conceivably has a use in showing ward-level election results. So, carry on :D