The Franco-American War of 1798

Invasion of Britain by Napoleon? Well, right now everyone in Europe is pretty tired out or committed... France has to guard against Prussia, which didn't participate in the latest round of wars.

Napoleon's more focused on repairing the wear from his wars, industrializing and all that. The Brits probably won't be trying to provoke him either, they've got lots of conquests to digest and might be running low in the purse.

Oh, and I saw your Morey discussion... It seems like this TL will be a good climate for his inventions, hope you don't mind if I use that idea here.

MacCaulay

Banned
Go for it. I'd like to see how it works. You're welcome to the ideas, and I'd be psyched to be able to contribute to the timeline.

A successful Napoleonic invasion is several orders of magnitude more plausable than operation Sea Lion.

Which doesn't really change the fact is is almost certainly doomed to failure.

the royal navy is huge and formiable but it all depends on where they are at the time of the invasion. You could hasve a huge navy but if they are in asia of the pacific or caribbean in this case they cant due you much good for a while. It also depends on the stragety and how good the commanders are.

I loved the mexican intervention timeline and i hope this one is as good as that one.:D

THE FEAST OF SPOILS
1816-1825

Exhausted in Europe, the powers now turned to running the territories they had bargained with and squabbled over. The power with the most new territory and influence was Great Britain. From its protectorate in Patagonia to new territory in Mesopotamia, Britain’s global reach had only been expanded by conflict. But for now, their military capital was spent. With no power both able and willing to re-colonize Spain’s former American possessions, most of them are de jure free. The new Republics of Chile, Peru, and Colombia sprung up in the aftermath and began the process of solidifying their new nations, mostly with British and American aid. Direct colonization of any of the new nations by Europe was frowned upon by the Americans, and for the British, who could not have done so anyway, it was not much of an impediment to relations. In the Caribbean, trade thrived.

In Mexico, a new government was formulated, one that attempted to satisfy the liberals and conservatives both. With a Republican legislature, but a strong executive and some protection for the aristocracy to satisfy the powerful landowners, Mexico seems to have a stable government, lead by war veteran Santa Anna.

But there is one priority that seems to dominate the Mexican ruling class’ minds: revenge against the Americans and British, who’d taken what they believed to be ‘their’ land (though their nation did not exist at the time). Seeking aid from Napoleon, who’d nearly become their enemy, Mexico rearmed itself in hoping of claiming a place in the sun among the many infant nations in the Americas.

Back in Europe, wounds were dressed and plots were hatched. Among devastated Germany, immigrants went west and Prussia marshaled new armies for a future war against France and its Rhine client. Napoleon himself was putting the finishing touches on his empire, attempting to ensure its survival after his death for his young son, the ‘King of Rome’. Passing popular reforms to please the people of France and glorifying his war victories, Napoleon also knew of the threat from Prussia and maintained his military accordingly.

Russia, emboldened by victory but still troubled, fought off an 1824 coup organized by the handful of officers that visited Western Europe. But for the most part, Russians were satisfied with their nation’s performance in the war, having finally captured Constantinople.

In Britain, more liberal MPs were slowly gaining more, though the conservatives were still dominating. The anti-slavery policies of the Federalists were supported by many of the more liberal politicians in Britain, such as the Whigs, and calls for abolition of slavery were growing, especially now that the UK and US had taken on Hispanola as a protectorate.

MacCaulay

Banned
I'm liking it. I'm REALLY liking it. I'd love to get more information on the modified internal politics in the newly independent states in South America. Maybe in this timeline, the New World won't end up being the Third World.

I'm sensing...a Mexican-American War in the West? I wonder what the Native Americans will think of that.

Map Map Map

?I'm wondering what you mean by North Mexico?

A longer lasting confederation of the Rhine, will have major effects on Germany, as well as Holland and Denmark,
?Did this affect the northern War of 1808? If Sweden still has Finland, and Denmark still has Norway. The whole Baltic is Changed.

1825 and the Kingdom of Italy [North] is still in personal Union with France.
?How about Naples?.

?What happened to Portugal?
With the loss of the Americas, Spain Turns its attention Southward across the Strait again to North Africa.

?A Eygpt that streches from Cario to Carthage, and a Spain that controls the Atlas Mountians from Algiers to the Atlantic Coast.???

Control of Cuba and PR brings them under the no new Importation Clause of 1803.
As the Main growth of Slave in Cuba occured 1810~1850, this cuts that off at the start, and Cuba remains ~25% free Black.

'North Mexico' is what we call the Western US territories. Mexicans are a tad pissed because they lost so much of their land as a result of Spanish indifference/incompetence.

Yeah, I'm still working through my Napoleonic era history. I'll have a map soon and filler for areas I skimmed over.

Northern Italy is in personal union with Napoleon, and Naples is a semi-client state that's basically learning to live with French power.

Portugal remained relatively neutral since Napoleon saw no point in making a grab at the ports. They still have Brazil.

Egypt is pretty big, they annexed a good chunk of Libya, Spain will likely start up its expansion later.

As for the Cuba thing... You're absolutely correct. Cuba's going to start a lot of trouble when it qualifies for statehood...

Rough draft, because here things get a little crazy...

CLAY FEET
1824-1832

Though Americans were fairly happy with the Madison administration, westerners wanted a President that would support more internal improvements. As a result, John Quincy Adams, of the Federalist Party, won the 1824 election. Those elections also brought increasingly anti-slavery Congressmen, especially in the Senate. Westerners not only wanted federal support for infrastructure in the west, but the wanted slaveholding competition out.

Adams program helped expand roadways out farther West to aid the settlement of the Pacific coast region, and strengthened the Canal System. US steam technology, due to more cooperation with Britain, was also moving at a steady clip, and the US had begun deploying some steam-powered combat vessels and a transoceanic shipping line. Western entrepreneurs also started taking interest in a new concept of land-based steam locomotion that could make up for the canal advantage in the Great Lakes states.

But the dark clouds on the political horizon were about to burst.

Especially because of Hamilton’s policies, slaveholders were nervous about their future in the US. But things were only complicated in 1829, when American citizens in Cuba passed the 60,000 mark. Though the Senate was balanced and the House in favor of the South, a battle over the statehood of Cuba was sure to ensue. And even though the conditions of an average Cuban farm or plantation worker were not much better than his mainland counterpart, the Cuban laborers did have one thing to their credit: many were citizens under the liberal laws designed to avoid a revolt earlier. Combined with the influx of settlers and its position as a nexus of American trade, it seemed American society would soon erupt. The re-election of Adams and the Federalists wrought grumblings of secession in the South, who believed Congress was getting ‘too powerful’ with its regulation of trade through tariffs, and worries of future abolition.

When Cuba was voted into the Union after a number of Southern Congressmen walked out in 1830, Calhoun issued a scathing discourse against the centralized government of the Federalists, the excesses of Congress, and the ‘unconstitutionality’ of the restriction of territories to slavery. When parties were usually campaigning for the mid-terms, anti-Federalist radicals attempted to assassinate Adams, and militias were formed in the Carolinas and Georgia, where they vowed to ‘protect our property from Yankee Congressmen’. In the spring of 1830, Adams deploys troops to Franklin and begins marching more down through Virginia. Upon hearing this, Calhoun leads the states of Georgia, South Carolina, and Alabama to secede and form the Confederate Republic of America. Casting themselves as ‘new American revolutionaries’, they muster troops to fight the incoming Federal troops. Entering South Carolina, the militia is beaten back for lack of organization and inferior weaponry when compared with the Whitney-Hall breechloaders in use by the Federal soldiers. US Navy steamships move to blockade the states from their vital source of income: cotton. When the CRA attempts to use clout from Britain, they find that the lack of control over other Southern states, Egypt, and India, has made their difference negligible.

Calhoun, and many other slaveholders (along with their slaves), flee to Brazil for the most part, fearing persecution by Adams and the other Federalists. At the end of the crisis in 1831 (amid a new Federalist majority aided by the lack of representation from a few states), Adams announces a program of ‘compensated manumission’ that includes a gamut of measures from the old serve-for-freedom programs of the Franco-American War to emigration programs to Liberia or Haiti.

As the entire affair unfolded, Mexico began to mobilize troops near their border, looking towards Tejas and Franklin eagerly, feeling the US is in a state of weakness. And with Napoleon and his allies looking towards increasing aid to Mexico, Adams began to hammer out the foreign policy he would become so famous for. Declaring that the Americas must remain a ‘sovereign domain’, he decided that US power would be used to prevent further re-colonization of South America, and that America would prevent coercive influence in other states in the Americas from being used against it.

Whether or not the world would heed his calls was another matter entirely.

Calhoun leading an early slaveholding revolt is certainly believable. He was lionized after his death as the "First President of this Confederacy," after all.....

Great job!

this will have Interesting affects in Brazil. As it is the only Major Slave holding Nation left. Also the Effect of American Ideas of Slaverly are slightly different than Brazilian.

ONE MAN'S LEGACY
1826-1835

An aging Napoleon is confronted with one final challenge when Prussia declares war and marches into the Confederation of the Rhine in 1827. Bringing together his best generals on that front, he is able to rebuff the Prussian army and fight it to a standstill within a few months. Both goverments agree to revert to status quo antebellum, and many historians now regard it as the war that preserved Napoleon's empire. He would live till 1834, and his massive funeral in Paris was a testament to his greatness.

Succession occured farily smoothly, for Napoleon's reforms and industrialization program had won him great support among workers and soldiers alike. But the nations of Europe knew that his successors were unlikely to match his military brilliance, so plans were hatched to put France 'back into its rightful place'.

Britain's William IV conducts actions in Parliament during the reform crisis that allow the Whigs to make great gains in the legislature. In the early 1830s, they begin the manumission of slavery through indentured servitude.

The Spanish also use this time to occupy much of former Ottoman North Africa, and the French take smaller parts of Algeria and Tunisia. Britain, however, ensures that its power in Egypt and the Mideast remains unchecked. At this time, the concept of a canal through the Suez becomes popular in Britain, which already enjoys good relations with Egypt because of aid and cotton trade. Russia begins to make designs on Persia, but British diplomacy staves off the war at the very least.

Life inside Russia, however, is not good for those not of the Orthodox faith. After the captue of Constantinople, a new wave of religious fervor swept Russia, and many Jews fled to Europe, especially the French client of Poland.

The US (and Britain to a good degree) made good on the promises laid out in what we now call the 'Adams Doctrine'. Britain and the US solidified their trade links with Colombia and increased them with Peru and Chile. The role of the British and US in South America at this time was actually somewhat stabilizing, with their diplomacy averting a war between Colombia and Peru over Ecuador.

Brazil, however, having secured their independence from Portugal after a series of wars in the late 1820s, established government formally under Pedro I and the 1830 Constitution. Using a mix of British and Napoleonic ideals, the so-called 'liberal empire' would be the major slaveholding nation in the Americas. Despite some controversy over his policies, Pedro I managed to hold the young nation together until his death in 1835. Pedro II, his successor, would capitalize on the infant nationalism of Brazil.

1816 map... I'm going to hold off on a new one until at least 1840 or so, you'll see why.

untitled1ej2.png

Without a War of 1812, any sort of Canadian nationalism is going to be delayed for quite a bit. And with America and Britain as allies, I could see the purchase of parts of OTL's western Canada, or continued joint-occupation.

Great TL.......:)