The Death of Russia - TL

I may be too cynical, but personally I believe that those operators refused to fire, because they were so indoctrinated and terrified by the Anpilov Regime, that they feared firing without permission more than death by fascist nuke.

I may be too cynical, but personally I believe that those operators refused to fire, because they were so indoctrinated and terrified by the Anpilov Regime, that they feared firing without permission more than death by fascist nuke.
there must be at least one survivor from a deep-enough silo that can explain their thought process regarding that decision

Yeah. I just can't believe that all or even half of these commanders refused from launch due humanitarian reasons. Bigger reasons were pretty surely fear of Anpilov even after his death, many of them just malfuncted and some were destroyed by nashi/NATO missiles.

Not sure what was reason for nashi side. But probably they used many of them commiting genocides, nuking of commie bases and NATO managed to destroy lot of their nukes.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Russia has been a doomed nation since the Mongols. Every time nomads conquer settled peoples, they always meld and change to fit into the cultures they conquer. Except with Russia, where the process happened in reverse. The extractive institutions of the Mongol Empire stayed with Russia forever.

The raison d'etre of the Russian state is and has always been the utter domination of its subjects, and the raison d'etre of the Russian is to be a flimsy puppet in the iron vice grip of the Tsar, General-Secretary, or President. The exception that proves the rule is the Russian Revolution. It speaks volumes that the ONE time the Russian people decide they're not going to take it anymore, tried to take their destiny into their own hands, and worked for something resembling freedom, they immediately relapse into a tyranny that was in many ways worse than the one they just overthrew. Russia is a unique nation as it is not bound together by things like language or religion or ideology, but instead by apathy, brutality, and trauma. One poster a while back complained about an abundance of TLs that give Russian civilization the old cleansing treatment- this is why. Russia's "special" nature makes it a lot easier for this kind of deleterious barbarity and lunacy to take hold and prosper.

This is all a long way of saying that all this discussion about the west's potential reflection on itself in the wake of the tragedy in Russia is mostly wasted air. If any major cultural trends of denying western complicity in the 2RCW and its consequences exists in the future, it will be because it is true. Saying that the entire fault for the war lays at the feet of its primary victims- the Russian people- is at best only a very, very slight exaggeration, and frankly that's one of the most tragic aspects of the whole debacle in general.
This is action #6.

If you didn't have five priors this would have, at worst, been a Formal Warning to keep Current Politics in Chat. However, you do have five priors.

Kicked for a week.

Six actions = burning the candle at both ends. That is a sub-optimal path.

As for world cinema, April 10th, 1996 is the biggest loss to cinema and film preservation since the 1967 MGM vault fire. The Lenfilm archive didn't survive the atomic bombing of Petrograd. Many camera negatives for Soviet films didn't survive, butterflying away the Blu-Ray releases of Andrei Rublev and many other works. In fact, more Russian films remain exclusive to VHS and Laserdisc ITTL than IOTL. Some Soviet films that survive IOTL are lost films ITTL, and some films only survive thanks to VHS and Laserdisc releases outside the Soviet Union.

Last edited:
As for world cinema, April 10th, 1996 is the biggest loss to cinema and film preservation since the 1967 MGM vault fire

I think that also applies to every kind of media within Russia. If it hasn't been released outside of Russia by the time of April 10th then it's most likely gone.

Anything within Russia was likely either previously destroyed by the Communists or Fascists, destroyed by the nuclear blasts and fireballs, or are so radioactive that they need to be destroyed.

Every medium from print to tape, film, hard drives, ands disc for everything ever recorded like music, television, movies, games, and movies.

I think that also applies to every kind of media within Russia. If it hasn't been released outside of Russia by the time of April 10th then it's most likely gone.

Anything within Russia was likely either previously destroyed by the Communists or Fascists, destroyed by the nuclear blasts and fireballs, or are so radioactive that they need to be destroyed.

Every medium from print to tape, film, hard drives, ands disc for everything ever recorded like music, television, movies, games, and movies.
You might have surviving stuff east of the Urals

They didn't just destroy Russia as a nation, they destroyed it as a culture!

Yeah. Everything between Urals and St. Petersburg and Arctic Sea and Caucasus are basically destroyed. Perhaps something like 90 % of famous buildings are destroyed. Culture and history are mostly gone. Fortunately Petrograd government saved some treasures. Siberia, FEK and Pushkingrad must reconstruct their identitet. And future states of Western Russia must create new identitet.

You might have surviving stuff east of the Urals

Oh right, though even that's up in the air since the people there do not have much love for Russia.

A good portion of the population there were either transported to Siberia forcefully by the Soviet Union or are currently undergoing a religious fervour that could end with all things "Russian" being destroyed.

The future culture of western Russia, it could go in a lot of ways:

• The survivors take a look at the FEK, and decide to start their own revival of Orthodox Christianity;
  • The survivors take a look at Siberia, and decide to bring back Slavic polytheism from the dead;
  • The survivors decide, just like Vladimir, that Russia is dead, and reinvent themselves as something other than Russian;
  • The survivors are just too shell-shocked to think about culture - Russia truly becomes the black hole it's stereotyped as.

0A543248-981F-49A6-89D8-24E0B6B51F0C.jpeg

@Sorairo I think it would be interesting to know about what happened to the people who took refuge at the Petrograd metro (since Moscow and its metro are gone)

I’m unsure about the Samara and Nizhny Novgorod metros since they’re not very deep (8 meters deep on average).

I wonder if there be many surviving bands of diehards on both sides who keep fighting against each other, NATO forces, UN peacekeepers and raiding to survive in fallout Russia.

I can see some kind of low level insurgencies going on for a few years as NATO forces hunt them and surviving officials down for trial.

At least the old Cold warriors finally get to live out their dream of invading Mother Russia or what is left of her.

Oddly enough I imagine a few anime songs or Highway to hell playing as NATO forces are rushing over the borders in one great wave of men and equipment.

Last edited:
I wonder if there be many surviving bands of diehards on both sides who keep fighting against each other, NATO forces, UN peacekeepers and raiding to survive in fallout Russia.

I can see some kind of low level insurgencies going on for a few years as NATO forces hunt them and surviving officials down for trial.

At least the old Cold warriors finally get to live out their dream of invading Mother Russia or what is left of her.

Oddly enough I imagine a few anime songs or Highway to hell playing as NATO forces are rushing over the borders in one great wave of men and equipment.

You just know Cruel Angel's Thesis is going to be the first piece of post-nuclear apocalypse music some of the survivors are going to hear.

Could be worse, some member of the Italian armed forces with a pitch black sense of humour might blast Cristina D'Avena theme songs at full volume while traversing the wasteland, and don't even get me started on a hypothetical Hispanic contingent, the likelihood of the Dragon Ball Z Spanish language OPs being played would approach absolute certainty. :p

Speaking of games, the creator of Tetris moved out of Russia in 1991, but didn't create the Tetris Company until 2 months after the nukes went flying ITTL. I wonder if there are any effects here.