The Cornette Call: A Pro Wrestling Timeline

There is no desert near Washington, D.C.; maybe the Undertaker tries to dump the coffin in the ocean but, if WWE tries that ITTL, it will trigger a backlash, given that there had been a recent infamous Delaware (close to D.C.) murder where the body was dumped in a cooler in the ocean (the Anne Marie Fahey (1) murder case, which had ended with the conviction of her married lover, Tom Capano, the year prior, in 1999, so forget even airing that ITTL…

(1) Fahey, it should be pointed out, was the appointments secretary to then-Delaware governor (and later Senator) Tom Carper; combine that with the fact that she was involved with Tom Capano, who was a wealthy, married, well-connected lawyer, and the murder was big news in that region (I'm sure AH.comers from that part of the country will remember the case). IMO, it's very likely Vince McMahon has heard of the case, IMO...

On a side note, Trish Stratus is one of those interesting WIs in wrestling; she had been planning on becoming a doctor, but there was a faculty strike at her university (the University of Toronto), so she was working as a receptionist when she was asked to model, and the rest, as they say, is history...

Loving these updates!

Also, just had to add: "The Unprettier" is probably the best ever name for a finishing move!

They did, it's just that you got goofy dancing whiteboy vs. The hot new star of the light heavyweight division. The result was never gonna be in Scotty's favor.

Oh, of course, but at least Malenko and Scotty had a good, competitive match. You made Rey/Scotty sound like a squash, is all.

I know I’m late but here’s my opinion on everything from the past few post.
WCW buys ECW - very interesting move by WCW. Hopefully this keeps the company afloat for a few more years. The ECW Invasion is going very well IMO.

Rey Mysterio comes to WWF and wins Light Heavyweight Title - I hope he brings some prestige into this title.

WrestleMania 16 - A brilliant, packed card ending with what has to be one of the best, if not the best main event in WM history with Hart/Hart. Owen finally capturing the title has to be one of the greatest moments IITL.

Backlash - Oh my this Owen/Austin feud is gonna be FUN.

Overall fantastic work on this timeline I have really enjoyed it!

Insurrextion 2000

20000 capacity crowd for the Earls Court Exhibition Arena in London for a UK WWF PPV. Eight matches on the card.

1. The Dudley Boyz d. Test/Bull Buchanan (w/Stephanie McMahon) The search for a partner for Test continues, B2 taking the 3D. Test looks to Steph after the match with a "Really? This guy?" look, Stephanie shrugging in response.
  2. WWF Light Heavyweight: Rey Misterio Jr. d. Crash Holly (w/Bob Holly) Crash protests that he's well past the weight limit for the Light Heavyweight title at well over 400 lbs, but Bob insists he got out there and win. Crash puts on a good performance, but Rey continues to shine in the ring.
  3. WWF European: Kurt Angle (w/Shane McMahon) d. Road Dogg (w/Billy Gunn) Angle makes quick work on the Roadie. putting him away with the Angle Slam and Angle Lock. Shane is overjoyed at the great success of his client.
  4. Kane d. Rikishi. Kane chokeslams the big dancing Samoan after a fun power battle.
  5. The Rock d. Steve Austin. Rocky wins a match to meet Owen at Over the Edge after Dr. Death charges Austin, beating him on the outside and giving him a Doctor Bomb on the apron before tossing him to the Rock. Rock pins Austin quickly before helping him back up. Austin, annoyed at the pity from Rock, hits a Stunner on him before chasing after Williams.
  6. WWF Tag: The Hardy Boyz d. Edge & Christian (DQ) Same match from OTL.
  7. WWF IC: Tazz d. Lance Storm. Tazz meets with Lance, who proves to be difficult, but he ultimately chokes him out.
  8. WWF World: Owen Hart d. The British Bulldog. And we get this match for the good folks in London. Bulldog, a former WWF champion with little left to prove and little left to give, decides that night to go out in a massive crowd of his people, pulling all the stops for his last match and really getting over his brother-in-law on the way out. Davey taps out to the Sharpshooter and we have a handshake between him and Owen to close out the show.

Hrm... I'm losing main eventers left and right here. I think I'm gonna need to jump the Radicalz over soon just to give the talent a shot in the arm. Still got Austin, Owen and Rocky. Angle's on the way, but Owen is on a time limit (he wants to go home and be a family man) and Rock's probably gonna go Hollywood soon. Though I still have Undertaker and Kane, so that's good.

Slamboree 2000

14000 in the Kemper Arena for the next chapter of WCW vs. ECW. Nine matches on the card.

1. The Pitbulls d. The Baldies (Angel/DeVito) The Pitbulls destroy another ECW team in the opener. Keep them rolling.
  2. Sean Waltman (w/Justin Credible) d. Billy Kidman (w/Torrie Wilson) Waltman returns to PPV after time in rehab, bringing with him a friend who was working the bingo halls. Credible couldn't join WCW due to conditions of his WWF release, but when the company he works for gets bought, there's not much he can do but sign a deal with them. At this point, WWF's not really concerned with him anyway. Credible helps his buddy Sean get the win here.
  3. WCW Cruiserweight: Yoshihiro Tajiri d. Eddie Guerrero. Because sometimes, you gotta have a really good match. With Rey doing great stuff with the Light Heavyweight title, having Eddie/Tajiri here is basically to remind the WCW crowd that WWF wasn't the first to bring high-flying cruiserweight action. Tajiri and Eddie tear up the house, Tajiri winning with the buzzsaw kick.
  4. Rhino d. Shawn Stasiak/Bill DeMott. Rhino makes his PPV debut by demolishing Stasiak and DeMott (who is not called Hugh G. Rection because come on) Gore! Gore! GORE~
  5. WCW TV: Vampiro d. Sting. It's a risky proposal, no doubt, but this is the kind of match that could elevate Sting out of the TV title picture and into possible runs with the US Title. Him and Sting put on a good showing, ending with a Nail in the Coffin.
  6. Shane Douglas d. Ric Flair. And Shane goes 2-1 on "Dick" Flair. This feud won't end any time soon, though. Ric won't stop until he's dead and Shane won't stop until Ric's dead!
  7. WCW/ECW Tag: Harlem Heat d. Tommy Dreamer/The Sandman (w/Terry Funk) Dreamer, having the right to a rematch for the tag titles, picks Sandman as his partner. Funk is out to prevent Raven from interfering, but he gets jumped by Raven, Stevie and Perry Saturn! It's Raven's Nest (kinda, sorta. Look, the Pitbulls are doing their own thing for a bit and Raven needs some muscle) and the three beat down on the Funkster, then Sandman and Raven hits Evenflow on Dreamer, leaving him prone to get pinned again. Harlem Heat then go to fight off Raven and his crew.
  8. WCW US/ECW TV: Rob Van Dam d. Chris Kanyon. Who betta than Kanyon? R-V-D. That's who betta. It's a good match, because Kanyon's innovative and fun and RVD is super talented. Five Star Frog Splash keeps these belts for ECW.
  9. WCW/ECW World: Mike Awesome (w/Paul Heyman) d. Diamond Dallas Page in a Steel Cage Match. No it's not a horrible three-cage monstrosity, it's just a single cage. The two put on a great mix of styles, reminiscent of the DDP-Goldberg matches. Match ends after an Awesome Bomb off the cage (Hope you got in your stretches tonight, Dallas!) with Mike Awesome retaining once again. As he goes to get his belt and leave, Goldberg storms in from the crowd, rips the door off the cage and charges Awesome, hitting the Spear. Spear! But before he can get the Jackhammer, Heyman hits him from behind with the belt, leaving him open for an Awesome Bomb, which Mike delivers. However, the match and the Spear takes its toll on Awesome and both men are left laying by the end of the show, neither standing strong over the other, hopefully.

So, I will have to make a sort of setting of some stones for the WWF in terms of outside business ventures. Basically, my hope was that WWF would sponsor Shamrock's UFC career as a sort of backdoor to a potential buyout. Turns out Ken didn't do a lot of fighting after his departure from WWF until sometime in the early 2000s, so chances are the WWF wasn't gonna jump on sponsoring him, so the chances of buying UFC are out and sadly, that means the XFL will be coming.

However, given that Cornette's presence in Vince's ear meant a more reigned-in Attitude Era with less of a car-crash style product, there's a chance that cooler heads will prevail and we'll see a more restrained XFL. There will be the personalized jerseys (because how can you not have He Hate Me in any TL where there's an XFL?) but with classic football rules in place. Maybe have XFL focus more on the peripheral stuff to really set itself apart from the NFL (skycam, locker room coverage, mic up the coaches and refs) and maybe delay it so the teams and players can get proper training than in OTL's case. This is mostly pipe dreaming and the TL's gonna end before I have to do a lot in terms of XFL coverage anyway, but its food for thought.

Last edited:
Hrm... I'm losing main eventers left and right here. I think I'm gonna need to jump the Radicalz over soon just to give the talent a shot in the arm. Still got Austin, Owen and Rocky. Angle's on the way, but Owen is on a time limit (he wants to go home and be a family man) and Rock's probably gonna go Hollywood soon. Though I still have Undertaker and Kane, so that's good.

I forget, do you still have Taka Michinoku? IOTL he had one hell of a match with Triple H for the title around this time. Barring any butterflies, I’m pretty sure he can still go in the main event.

Otherwise, yeah, idk. Other than a Steve Blackman push or a Goldust push, idk what you could do other than poaching WCW folks. Considering Cornette wasn’t too into Japanese folks (which I guess prevents a Taka push? Lmao) he wouldn’t be poaching from AJPW around this time, so yeah, I’d bring over the Radicalz at the very least.

Just wanted to chime in and say how much I liked the way you wrapped up Foley's career here mostly because he's never held the IC belt irl and gets to be one of those guys added to the list of best wrestlers never to win a world title in this timeline which may be shorter than actual world champs at this point. Are you planning on having AJ Styles and Air Raid join WCW in 2001 as happened in actuality. Can you imagine what Paul Heyman will say when he gets a gander at that kid. Or does WWF scoop him up seeing him as a potential future star.

IOTL AJ Styles was offered a contract after the buyout, but he declined because his wife was iirc in university, and he didn’t want to uproot his family’s life. Worked out really well for him, seeing as he became TNA’s ace soon enough. Unless that’s all butterflied away, I’m not sure he’ll change his decision ITTL.

Over the Edge 2000

So, a small change in the calendar from OTL, since the name no longer carries the stigma of Owen's death, this takes the place of Judgment Day. 17000 at Freedom Hall in Louisville and six matches on the card.

1. The New Age Outlaws d. The Dudley Boyz in a Tables Match. A bit of opening match excitement as D-Von goes through the table.
  2. WWF European: Kurt Angle (w/Shane McMahon) d. Rikishi. Angle manages to outpower Rikishi here, keeping his European strap after an Angle Slam.
  3. WWF Tag: Too Cool (Grandmaster Sexay/Scotty 2 Hotty) d. Edge & Christian. And in a surprise, the goofy dancing whiteboys win the tag titles. Hip Hop Drop to Edge takes it.
  4. WWF IC: Tazz d. Lance Storm in a Submission Match. And Tazz chokes out Lance, keeping his IC title.
  5. Steve Williams d. Steve Austin. And the first match of the feud begins, Dr. Death winning it after a Doctor Bomb.
  6. WWF World: Owen Hart d. The Rock in a 60-Minute Iron Man Match. Owen Hart pretty much takes Triple H's career here, including this great match. We'll have Bret come back to the special guest ref for this because why not? He calls it down the middle with these two, Owen winning it 6-5. It's a great sixty minutes of wrestling between the two as Owen cements his run on top.

Last edited:
IOTL AJ Styles was offered a contract after the buyout, but he declined because his wife was iirc in university, and he didn’t want to uproot his family’s life. Worked out really well for him, seeing as he became TNA’s ace soon enough. Unless that’s all butterflied away, I’m not sure he’ll change his decision ITTL.
Funny thing is that AJ Styles is only 2 pounds smaller and 3 inches shorter than Ken Shamrock, so if he does while he'll relegated to the light heavyweight division at first, Vince might be more inclined to push him up the card in spite of his size. Same applies to Christopher Daniels, who was almost the higher power of all things in otl.

The New Age Outlaws d. The Dudley Boyz in a Tables Match. A bit of opening match excitement as Road Dogg takes the 3D through the table.

Wait, the Outlaws win but Road Dogg takes a 3D? Was this a quick pin and the Dudleys took out some frustration on RD post match?