The Campaign Trail Game Has Returned.

upload_2017-7-28_4-50-10.png

Looking at the starting map (on impossible), MA, RI, DC and HI already are the only states more democratic-leaning than tossup. And according to here at least, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_polling_for_United_States_presidential_elections , in early 68 Nixon had a more modest lead over Humphrey, of at most around 9%, and with Humphrey leading at times. And after the convention, with Humphrey at his lowest point, Nixon had at most around a 16% lead, not ~quite~ a 20% lead. Though I can still see a case for it being a bit too easy

View attachment 335827
Looking at the starting map (on impossible), MA, RI, DC and HI already are the only states more democratic-leaning than tossup. And according to here at least, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_polling_for_United_States_presidential_elections , in early 68 Nixon had a more modest lead over Humphrey, of at most around 9%, and with Humphrey leading at times. And after the convention, with Humphrey at his lowest point, Nixon had at most around a 16% lead, not ~quite~ a 20% lead. Though I can still see a case for it being a bit too easy

The problem is that Hump has three events that can make him surge around 5 points or so each event, nationally: Announcing he wants to leave Vietnam, successfully exposing Nixon on the peace talks and Nixon screwing up in the debates in some way or another.

Now I think the solution to make playing Humo harder is: A) An even worse start (Only leading in DC, HW, RI and MA) B) have those events give a smaller bump and a smaller chance of happening.

A while back I got a 269-269 tie on the 1976 scenario as Ford. I never achieved that before so it was cool to read the concluding paragraph on that for the first time.

I fear that we're not going to get anymore scenarios. Understandable, as they must require quite immense work (thinking up the questions and options and their effects, state percentages etc) but I'd love for there to be a 1992 scenario.

A while back I got a 269-269 tie on the 1976 scenario as Ford. I never achieved that before so it was cool to read the concluding paragraph on that for the first time.

I fear that we're not going to get anymore scenarios. Understandable, as they must require quite immense work (thinking up the questions and options and their effects, state percentages etc) but I'd love for there to be a 1992 scenario.

Unfortunately you are probably right. I think what they should do, if they don't want to make new scenarios, but get more people to play it, is giving the tools so people can make their own scenarios. I would love doing that.

so, it probably been done a thousand times but here is a list of the possible future scenarios:

1) 1836: Can be done ala 1860 with Van Buren needing to get to the magic number while Harrison will try to keep him from it.
2) 1848: A close one OTL, what do you do with the terrotories taking from the Mexicans? How do you handle the Free Soil.
3) 1856: Might be a bit too similar to 1860 but work as ''early Republican election where they don't have a massive advantage'' scenario.
4) 1876: Reconstruction and scandals
5) 1880-84-88-92: A gilded age election would be nice
6) 1912: Wilson try to get to the big number and TR and Taft try to position themselves well for the house.
7) 1924: Actually a winable one for the dems despite everything and will make for a roaring 20 scenario
8) 1940: Is a third term okay, New Deal, WWII
9) 1992: self-explanotory
10) 2004: Irak war election

1944 was a lot closer than it looked (Dewey came within a couple of percent in several of the big Northern states) and it would make another decent WWII scenario.

2008 was a frigging rollercoaster even if the result wasn't close. Financial crash (prior to which McCain had a small lead in the polls), Palin pick, Joe the Plumber, mudslinging etc.

2008 was a frigging rollercoaster even if the result wasn't close. Financial crash (prior to which McCain had a small lead in the polls), Palin pick, Joe the Plumber, mudslinging etc.
God, could you've imagined if McCain had won if the crash had been delayed. Maybe he doesn't even win the PV, especially without Palin.

Is it just me or has it gone down again?

EDIT: Nevermind, it went back up less than five minutes later. Unfortunately nothing appears to have changed. I did get a little excited when I saw it go down.

Like if a Republican presidential candidate in 76 praised Stalin one day then the day after professed love for Ayn Rand's books. :p
I imagine that if any major nominee did that in real life, their party would kick them out and field a new one. Might make an interesting TL; two candidates in the general election, each claiming to be the legitimate nominee of their party.

I just found out that in New Jersey, Lincoln got -1 EVs. Wat?

Last edited: