"The Bloody Man"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, so many replies to respond to! Thanks all for the interest; I’m really you’re enjoying this. It’s great to be making progress on it again, and your comments and questions really spur me on to produce more. I’ll try and take each theme that’s come up separately, rather than reply to individual comments.

A wonderful update! The collapse of the Kirk is very sudden--and realistic. Interesting, though, that they thought Lorraine was actually Viceroy; Henrietta Maria has indeed made a grievous mistake.

The Remonstrants, whether they make a deal with the Resolutioneers or not, could form an alliance with the Commonwealth over the internal rebellion and allow for supply lines to actually develop, or at least make a deal to strike at Ireland in the name of taking down Popery and the chances of the King taking revenge on them. The Resolutioneers don't have a King to compromise with, and the spiritual crisis would make things difficult for the Remonstrants, so we may see a deal, but just as likely have the two sides bicker and ineffectually try to destroy the other.

To be fair to Henrietta Maria, her move made a bit more sense in a situation where it was her husband on the throne, rather than her son (which is why she made the attempt IOTL too); it’d still alienate everyone, but at least there’s not the same risk that Lorraine will overshadow the legitimate King quite so badly. Well-intentioned but misguided adventures was very much her style, though.

As for Scotland, it’s not necessarily the case that Strachan’s ‘New Model Army’ is wholly in accord with the Remonstrant leadership under siege in Edinburgh. Indeed, in some ways Strachan and his troops are as much of a threat to the Covenant as the Protesters are; neither have much love for the gentry, and both feel that a complete failure of leadership by Scotland’s ruling classes have brought the country to the state that it’s in (they have a point, to be fair).

The Resolutioneers are down but not out too; and now that the King has rejected them, there’s not actually really that much to divide them from the Remonstrants, beyond the mutual blame game. On the other hand, the King’s rejection also makes the faction politically irrelevant, beyond the fact that they have a small army, so it’s swings and roundabouts.

From Lambert’s perspective, at some point he’ll will have to stop making diplomatic decisions on the fly and start referring things back to London. His main priority at this point though is to avoid further fighting, replenish his force, and, if he can’t turn Scotland into an ally, at least render the Scots harmless while the Commonwealth’s eyes turn westwards to Ireland.

Ireland is another big issue. Lorraine may not want to look that desperate for the Crown, potentially joining the ranks of many who had power in their grasp and let it slip out of fear of looking like they took it without a second thought, but there's always the Cardinal to think about. James is a fifteen year old boy marred in trauma and bitterness, which would make any surrendering of power impossible, but the appeal of being granted the divorce he wanted may shift Lorraine, and the Cardinal may just force a war anyway by his diplomacy via excommunication if that doesn't work. Either way, there's a bloody fight ahead, and that's not even counting England and Scotland's reaction.

In regards to Ireland lastly, I'll certainly be interested in seeing the relationship between the Yong King and his Viceroy-who-would-be-King. It will be interesting to see if the even more multi-sided Irish leadership of TTL will be able to find common ground in the face of the coming Anglo-Scottish invasion or if the divisions will doom them in a manner akin to what just happened to the Scottish defense.

Admittedly, I'm kind of dreading where you'll go with this in time. I recognize that Ireland has a slew of disadvantages from a geopolitical and internal standpoint to avoid domination by English/Scottish forces(especially because the French and Spanish really enjoy that mercenary population that comes their way when the Irish have little choice...), but even with the potential for greater tolerance of religious difference, the millenialist Protestants leave a bad taste in my mouth and I find myself rooting for the Duke of Lorraine to screw over the Nuncio and King and just take over Ireland himself with some sort of exhaustion peace with the Commonwealth.

I suspect things are about to go badly for the Irish. The Scottish are in disarray, the English overstretched, the Irish have never had a better chance at an independent crown- but that's still long odds.

To say nothing of the fact that when you're being led by a Stuart, the smart money isn't on you.

Ireland will obviously feature a lot more in a future post, but it’s in an interesting situation. A huge amount will depend on whether the Duke of Lorraine and King James can come to any sort of accommodation; this is entirely possible, although Cardinal Rinnucini will be frantically trying to sabotage any such rapprochement. Either way, there’s probably going to be a civil war in the Confederacy; if the King and Duke can align, then things may look a bit like OTL with the Ulster O’Neills having a brief civil war against the Royalists; if they can’t come to an agreement then things may be even more confusing with a proper-full scale civil war between the King’s party on the one hand and the Clerical one on the other. If the Irish are lucky, they can get all this sorted out by the time the Commonwealth gets its act together to intervene.

The Irish (and Royalists) have the advantage that Ormonde is still in control of Dublin ITTL, so Parliament doesn’t have a foothold in Ireland in the same way. At this point, the only place in Ireland that remains loyal to London is Londonderry. However, it’s not like the arrival of the Duke of Lorraine won’t piss off the various English, nominally-Royalist troops in Ireland too; IOTL garrisons like Cork changed sides between King and Parliament several times as the war ebbed and flowed, generally going with whoever looked like they’d be able to provide the most help. If the choice is between raising a cross of St Edward or the Spanish Royal Standard, many “Royalists” in Ireland would prefer the latter.

And the United Republics idea is unveiled! A most Glorious Revolution for a most glorious Anglo-Dutch union!

I do like the Anglo-Dutch Union. Perhaps leading to a merge of fleets, armies, and Companies? An Anglo-Dutch East Indies Company would be a force to be reckoned with.

A Union of Republics sounds a bit too idealistic, in terms of the Dutch going along with it. I remember you noting how support was mainly in England, while the Dutch were baffled at the very idea of it coming to pass, ironically matching the English attitude towards a union with Scotland. That said, desperate times can call for desperate measures, but I get the feeling that Lilburne heard an alliance of republics, and assumed it would be a Union. Either that, or the Admiral is making decisions that aren't his to make, which will make for fun times, whichever one is the case. With Naples in an uproar, the Scottish going through their own moral crisis, and now the Hollanders contemplating the impossible, I can see an alliance between the states emerge.

Not a bloc, that suggests too much interlinking bonds and would likely scare too many neighbours (although what could France and Spain really do at this point?), however fun the idea of Britain being the Revolutionary France or Soviet Union of the 1600s might be, even if efforts in France will likely backfire. There could be agreements to open trade with one another and cooperate on certain matters, such as trade, colonies, naval bases, and so on.

Needless to say, we’ll see a lot more of this subject in future posts; while there is an English proposal of Union with Holland, it’s not a done deal. Lilburne’s dreams of spreading his revolution are not really the primary motivation for the English proposal, although they certainly contribute; it’s worth remembering that Anglo-Dutch Union was very much a ‘thing’ in England during the period, and IOTL the incredulous Dutch reaction to Cromwell’s proposal of Union was one of the things leading to the first Anglo Dutch war.

During that conflict, Adriaan Pauw likened England to a mountain of iron, and the Netherlands to a mountain of gold; ITTL the States General realise that they can use the gold to hire themselves some of the iron, while the Council of State is desperate for cash. Sending a fleet to break the Orangist blockade of Holland is good for the City of London, which at this point was doing massive trade with Amsterdam; and if the Dutch can be convinced to help fund an invasion of Ireland, so much the better!

Invading France, however, is a terrible idea...

Invading France at this point seems like something that could backfire spectacularly.

I shouldn't be surprised that the Commonwealth is aiming to expand outside of the British Isles, especially after Naples, but I'll admit Union with Republics on the continent is still dramatic and exciting, one wonders if this won't be a dangerous overreach though as Selby fears.

I think Lilburne's reach might exceed his grasp with France. I mean, a De jure union with the Netherlands (with the two in reality being basically independent under a loose Republican version of a Personal Union) might possibly work, but radical republicans were kind of sparse on the ground in France at the time, weren't they?

It’s not giving much away to say that any English intervention in France isn’t likely to accomplish much beyond pissing everyone off.

I need to catch up with what’s happening in France, but suffice it to say that at this point Lilburne isn’t thinking about invasion, although other activities are certainly on the cards. With one exception, radical republicans were non-existent in France during the period, not that the English necessarily realise this; they certainly didn’t IOTL, when they commissioned Milton to translate all sorts of republican texts in French, printed and distributed them at great expense, only for appalled Frenchmen to burn them in horror at their contents.

A new Chapter 36, ehh?

So is the old one now Chapter 37, or....?

I’ve moved various things around; next Chapter will be a repost of the Ireland one, then we’ll move on to new events. I wouldn’t pay too much attention to the Chapter headings; I make changes to my master document as I go and sometimes I feel certain chapters work better in slightly different orders.

The segment on Naples, for example, is actually still several months ahead of the main Timeline- Rainsborough arrives in Italy in August 1648, while the narrative is still in April and May. We haven’t even seen why he gets despatched to the Mediterranean yet, so as a chapter it’ll naturally come a fair bit later on in the final version of the TL.

Blood, Thomas Blood. Lovely way to combine Bond with Enochian mysticism and seventeenth-century stuff. And Kuklos is the originating term for the KKK--very clever indeed.

Also as always loved the bit with Blood. The seemingly forced explanation of the 007 moniker was great. Also, was that a Flashman reference?

Got to love the mixture of Bond and esoteric Puritain theology. How historical is this Kuklos anyway? Normally I'd assume absolutely everything, but google doesn't seem to be showing anything by that name in the period.

The Bond reference with Blood getting tagged was as great as the 'Spring-Heeled Jack is Batman' snippet from FaBR, it'll certainly make it hard for Blood to drop his membership in the proto-MI6 if things go south, now that the ink won't come off that easily. His goal will probably either be to destabilise the Old English faction, eliminate James or Lorraine, or to try and collect some information on what exactly is happening in Ireland's inner workings, which would rank just under Sisyphus' boulder-pushing in tasks that require a bit of effort.

Glad people enjoyed this part; in terms of the historicity of it, it’s a mix of genuine fact and conjecture, and none of the conjecture is too implausible. All the stuff about John Dee and the occult significance of 007 is entirely true; presumably Ian Fleming was aware of this, although 007 was apparently also a reference to the Zimmerman telegram, which was filed as document 0075. The intersection of clandestine intelligence and esoteric silliness is also entirely historical. The “intelligencers” of the 17th century were generally academics and natural scientists, and during the 1640s science and the occult generally went hand in hand. IOTL the English state relied heavily on these academic networks; Elizabeth I had Walsingham, John Dee and their respective correspondents, James I had Francis Bacon, and the Commonwealth had Samuel Hartlib and the “Invisible College”, which, post-Restoration, was formalised into the Royal Society. The Hartlib Circle and the Invisible College are particularly relevant here; we’ll see more of them later, but it’s rather likely that the German we saw with the big needle is Samuel Hartlib, who you might recall already popped up ITTL popularising the cultivation of the potato to feed the masses of London.

I’m not aware of anyone using the word ‘Kuklos’ to refer to the Hartlib Circle or Invisible College IOTL, but both were private groupings, and we only have three contemporary references to the latter anyhow. I wouldn’t be surprised if the term had been used by somebody at the time though; Kuklos means ‘circle’ in Greek, and also has occult connotations, the Kuklos Anankes being the ‘Circle of Neccesity’ in early modern Mysticism. Francis Bacon did exactly the same thing in the 1620s but using a different reference; he coined the name “House of Saloman” for his projected secret society of academics, philosophers and spies. There’s nothing to say that Kuklos is a formal term; the hard-faced man certainly seems a little embarrassed by the whole thing, and it’s fair to say that M is more of a poetic, mystic sort than he is. So yeah, the use of the word “Kuklos” isn’t a Flashman reference as such, although I understand how you’re getting there, and by coincidence (or is it?) a similar secret grouping crops up briefly in FaBR.

Finally the tattooing. While there’s no evidence that secret societies were going around tattooing people during OTL’s 17th century, the idea that such things were unknown in Europe until “Tatous” were brought back by 18th century explorers returning from Polynesia is not an accurate one. Tattooing never quite died out in Europe IOTL, and generally was done for religious reasons; medieval pilgrims often got tattoos to commemorate their journey, and they could often be used as purity marks; M makes reference to Jeanne des Anges, who IOTL after her ‘possession’ made a profitable career of wandering around the place showing off her tattoos.

Hopefully this shows that my meanderings are more historical than you might think!

In the future, there is the question of Henry, IOTL his time spent in England as a prisoner did lead to him taking in a lot of Parliament's arguments, which led to a vicious break with Henrietta-Maria and got him kicked out of Paris where he joined up with Spain and became pals with the Prince of Conde, an agnostic backer of the Huguenots. Hell, his death of smallpox made him into the idealised 'King England Needed' for opponents of James II, and even for people unhappy with Monmouth. I remember reading that he's in Paris right now, or somewhere with his mother, which suggests that he may be a Catholic counterpart to OTL, down to the military skill, if something happens to James and a new King for the Royalists is needed.

As you mention, as of October 1647 Prince Henry is in Paris with Henrietta Maria, although this may change thanks to the political instability in the city; thanks to his mum’s influence he’s way too high church for the Commonwealth’s liking, and is regarded at this point pretty much as ‘just another Stuart’, rather than the potential solution he was IOTL. It’s entirely possible that he’ll get ensnared in the Fronde ITTL, especially given his mother’s good relationship with Mazarin and the Queen.

Also, reading the update, for a second I parsed it as Charles' appointing Lorraine the Viceroy of Scotland. Which would be one way to blow things up in a hurry.

Ha! Lorraine would have landed in a Scotland entirely depopulated by apoplexy.

Your response to my comment about Spain got me thinking. With every European power west of the Rhine in disarray, who stands to benefit? Not Spain, apparently, though Philip IV's subjects in the New World might get a respite if the fleets of France, the Netherlands and "Britain" are busy sending each other into the depths of the English Channel.

Sweden and the Holy Roman Empire would seem to be the logical choices, except they are in a state of war. Sweden is probably too exhausted to capitalize on the continuation of the War, especially if they have Austria's undivided attention. They can, however, further damage northern Germany, and keep the Habsburgs entirely sidelined. The German states can only suffer further from a Thirty Years' war that has no end in sight.

A later day Ibn Battuta-type figure travelling through Europe ITTL would find very little to celebrate in Western Europe, with almost the entire continent the scene of hot and cold wars.

This is a good question, and one that I’m purposely avoiding for the time being; not because of any massive spoiler, simply because I’m having enough trouble keeping the TL focused as it is without the scope expanding still further. There will be some stuff related to this, particularly in the Baltic, towards the end of the TL; but it’s not going to be something I’ll go into too much detail. Things are long enough as they are!

Algernon Sidney, what is he up too?

Sidney fought with distinction at Bourne, before his injuries there forced him off the front line. He entered parliament much as IOTL and was one of the most vocal opponents of Hampden and the Engagement with the King; he briefly fled to Amsterdam in the days before the 2nd Civil War, but returned to London a few months later. He did a lot of the groundwork for the declaration of the Commonwealth, and is currently a member of the Council of State, where he’s in the uneasy centre between the Agitator and City factions.

Just a bit of thinking.

If--IF--this Anglo-Dutch alliance/union thing goes through, then I suspect England will definitely go after Spanish possessions in the New World and against Spain in general.

There is still, AFAIK, the war between Spain and the Dutch going on (and France). We know Rainsborough helps the Neapolitan revolution. If England is involved in both of those conflicts, then they are officially fighting Spain (but not Portugal; is Luanda back under Portuguese control?)

The Western Design may be different in the details, but a combined Anglo-Dutch force has a lot to gain from going against Spain. Dunkirk, and a number of choice Caribbean islands to round out the sugar industry coming from Dutch Brasil, from the big ones in the western Caribbean to the smaller ones in the East. If they can get Cuba, then that really screws Spain--Cuba is both more settled and closer to Mexico, and OTL Jamaica wasn't too valuable at the time of conquest--and French pirates were able to slowly take Western Santo Domingo. If the English can get both Cuba and Espanola for Anglo-Dutch settlement, that's a huge coup for control of the global sugar market.

And, not to cast the net too widely, but there could be effects on South Africa. The crash of the Haarlem at Table Bay is butterflied, but that doesn't mean some other ship couldn't have crashed and set up a fort; and if the Dutch can have Englishmen be plantation owners in Brasil, the Dutch could use folks to settle more of South Africa (although I imagine the Council of State wants folks to go settle Ireland). Maybe a prison colony?

I’ve moved various things around; next Chapter will be a repost of the Ireland one, then we’ll move on to new events. I wouldn’t pay too much attention to the Chapter headings; I make changes to my master document as I go and sometimes I feel certain chapters work better in slightly different orders.

The segment on Naples, for example, is actually still several months ahead of the main Timeline- Rainsborough arrives in Italy in August 1648, while the narrative is still in April and May. We haven’t even seen why he gets despatched to the Mediterranean yet, so as a chapter it’ll naturally come a fair bit later on in the final version of the TL.

Understand that completely.

Gian

Banned
So how's Maryland still holding up. I take it that the Puritan Revolution against the Calverts still holds with New England's help, right?

Hi Bloody Man fans! I promise that there will be some updates soon, work permitting- I've got one a chapter on France progressing steadily. In the meantime though, I have news of a different variety; I'm pleased to say that the first part of the TL is now available in kindle format through Sea Lion Press.

Given the length of TBM, I've split it into three volume, each the size of a proper book; the first is "The Bloody Man", which will take you from the beginning up to the outbreak of the Second English Civil War. The second volume, "The Fiery Crucible", will be available later in the year; the third, "The New Jerusalem", still needs to be written!

Please do take a look, not only at TBM but also the other publications available under the imprint; this is a brilliant enterprise and the more people who hear about it, the better. Spread the word!

I just finished the two novels adapted from this timeline. Anyone have any advice on where to start reading this thread if I want to pick up where those left off? Or any news about how it's been going with the third book in the last 8 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.