The Alternate History Book Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might join some months. I'll second He Walked Around the Horses, and throw in Guns of the South and For Want of a Nail. (I've read all those three already.)

I would love to sign up, but there's no many translation of english alternate history, and at my knowledge not at all translation of non-english alternate history...
For instance, the only text ever translated in french of Turtledove was about a short participation in a book on how Lord of the Rings inspired authors.
You can sign me, but I don't know if I would be able to participate.

Well, if there are any months in which are able to participate, please feel welcome to do so! (I'm not sure how many French-speakers there are on these boards, but if there are enough of them, perhaps the club could read and discuss a French work at some point.)

I'm still hilariously badly-read in published AH. Part of that is these boards, where every major author is heaped with scorn regularly by disgruntled fanboys. This club would give me a reason to really dive into something. Count me in.

Glad to have you! Hopefully we can find some worthwhile elements in most of what we read here...

I might join some months. I'll second He Walked Around the Horses, and throw in Guns of the South and For Want of a Nail. (I've read all those three already.)

Excellent, I'll add the latter two to the list. I figure pretty much everyone may end up joining some months or not others--so if anyone can't find the book, or the time to read it, or whatnot, don't sweat it too much.

I'm thinking at the moment that we should do "He Walked Around The Horses" as a trial run, since it's a short story and easily available--we can read it and get some discussion rolling while at the same time deciding on the book for September. How does that sound to people?

OK I think I might be able to join too. I hope I can find a bit of time to read that e-book. Sounds interesting. I especially recommend using short stories. That way, more people may be able to participate, right?
Also, I heard of this book called Dominion (by CJ Sansom). It's quite new I think. Maybe that could be a suggestion of mine. Actually, I read what was on the backside of the cover only... But I thought it might well be an interesting alternate history novel. Has anyone read it?

I don't think we need too long. It's a very short, very easily acquired story. I just finished reading the whole thing today in, like, an hour.

How about Friday night board time?

Sounds good; I'll post a discussion thread then when Friday rolls around.

In the meantime: feel free to offer suggestions for September. So far, we have:

1. The Man In The High Castle
2. Bring The Jubilee
3. Agent Of Byzantium
4. Guns Of The South
5. For Want Of A Nail
6. Dominion

New entries will be added to the bottom; support from additional people will move works up the list.

Also, I heard of this book called Dominion (by CJ Sansom). It's quite new I think. Maybe that could be a suggestion of mine. Actually, I read what was on the backside of the cover only... But I thought it might well be an interesting alternate history novel. Has anyone read it?

"Twelve years have passed since Churchill lost to the appeasers, and Britain surrendered to Nazi Germany after Dunkirk."

I really, really don't like the highlighted word.

Bruce

Should Connecticut Yankee stories count if we don't go very far from the original CDSOT[1]?

Bruce

[1] Competent Dude/Dudette in the Sea Of Time

I think time travel stories which allow the changing of history would fall within our purview--Lest Darkness Fall is definitely OK, something like Connie Willis' Doomsday Book might be iffier...

Britannia's Fist and Rainbow of Blood by Peter Tsouras are in my opinion the best AH books on foreign intervention in the Civil War. They should be on the list. Certainly much better than the dreck that Turtledove and Harrison put out on it.

I'll list some ideas as well.

"Ruled Britannia" by Harry Turtledove (novel: Spanish Armada conquers England)

"Wake Up and Dream" by Ian R. MacLeod (novel: detective story set in 1940 Hollywood while a growing American fascist party is arising and challenging FDR for the presidency)

"When Angels Wept: A What-If History of the Cuban Missile Crisis" by Eric G. Swedin (novel, written like an ATL history book: Cuban Missile War)

"Then Everything Changed: Stunning Alternate Histories of American Politics" by Jeff Greenfield (story collection: three different stories about changes in Cold War-era American politics)

Meanwhile, we've definitely got a good list going. I'm especially eager to reread and discuss Bring The Jubilee, so I hope it's chosen as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Glad this's starting!

Unfortunately, I have some guests coming over next weekend, so I might not be able to discuss this story until later. I hope everything goes well, though, and I'll chime in when I can.

How about Time and Again by Jack Finney and its sequel, From Time to Time. Both are available on Amazon. (US government project to alter the past using a few indviduals able to travel back...)

How about Time and Again by Jack Finney and its sequel, From Time to Time. Both are available on Amazon. (US government project to alter the past using a few indviduals able to travel back...)

Status
Not open for further replies.