The 20th Century

Ian the Admin said:
In response to a request to move this to chat... um, why? This is actually *on* topic to alternate history.

It's a project that's a bit nebulous. We're probably going to be arguing and spewing out some ASB-ish stuff... Just trying to work it out. It seems to have improved a bit, though. Sorry.

Justin Pickard said:
Oh and, lukael, "During Victoria's last years, the United Kingdom was involved in the Boer War, which received the enthusiastic support of the Queen." So, without her, who knows what would have happened?
Combined with the fall of Ladysmith (and subsequent defeats) maybe this could make the British war-weary enough to let the Boers remain free?

Okay...so for starters, let's have Queen Victoria die, along with the Boers capturing Ladysmith a few days before the British arrive on the scene as per OTL. Now, would a surviving Boer state have any effect on Franco-British relations? I'm thinking that Germany somewhat damages its relations with Britain by declaring its support for the Boers. Come Edward's early coronation, he promotes the idea pretty aggresively, more aggresively than in OTL. (Maybe he has a personal falling out with his nephew the Kaiser?) and the treaty is pushed through in 1903, just as a crisis over Morocco comes around...

Romulus Augustulus said:
Okay...so for starters, let's have Queen Victoria die, along with the Boers capturing Ladysmith a few days before the British arrive on the scene as per OTL. Now, would a surviving Boer state have any effect on Franco-British relations? I'm thinking that Germany somewhat damages its relations with Britain by declaring its support for the Boers. Come Edward's early coronation, he promotes the idea pretty aggresively, more aggresively than in OTL. (Maybe he has a personal falling out with his nephew the Kaiser?) and the treaty is pushed through in 1903, just as a crisis over Morocco comes around...
Maybe not even have the Boers survive, but make them last a few years longer, and, in the end, keep a German-supported guerillia conflict going (ARF, Afrikkaner Revolutionary Force)?

Okay. So, does everyone generally agree that the initial change (Boers do somewhat better, Queen Victoria dies of a heart attack) would result in the events that led to the Entente occuring earlier?

Romulus Augustulus said:
Okay. So, does everyone generally agree that the initial change (Boers do somewhat better, Queen Victoria dies of a heart attack) would result in the events that led to the Entente occuring earlier?
Definitely. Edward would move Britain closer to France about 1-2 years before OTL, and with German-supported Boers still fighting, public opinion in the UK will be very much against the Germans.

Also, they're not officially supported by the German government. Kaiser Wilhelm just says a few stupid things. Individual Germans, however, might join up with the Boers by forming some volunteer unit or either, and they may also send the Boers weapons, with our without the government's tacit approval...

luakel said:
Definitely. Edward would move Britain closer to France about 1-2 years before OTL, and with German-supported Boers still fighting, public opinion in the UK will be very much against the Germans.

I'm going to throw a slightly paranoid Edward into the mix, if that changes anything? :D

Romulus Augustulus said:
Also, they're not officially supported by the German government. Kaiser Wilhelm just says a few stupid things. Individual Germans, however, might join up with the Boers by forming some volunteer unit or either, and they may also send the Boers weapons, with our without the government's tacit approval...
Yeah, the Germans actually supporting them would start a war quickly. BTW, I wonder what effect this would have on the SW Afrika campaign in 1914-15?

Okay...how do we get Edward to be paranoid?

I know! That Sipido lunatic throws a bomb at him. He isn't killed, but he is knocked over and he does receive a nasty blow to the head. That sound plausible?

Justin Pickard said:
I'm going to throw a slightly paranoid Edward into the mix, if that changes anything? :D
Maybe WWI would start up a few years early? 1908 saw a crisis in the Balkans due to the Austrian takeover of Bosnia, maybe that would be a good starting date?

Romulus Augustulus said:
Okay...how do we get Edward to be paranoid?

I know! That Sipido lunatic throws a bomb at him. He isn't killed, but he is knocked over and he does receive a nasty blow to the head. That sound plausible?

No, I mean I've worked it out. You'll see...

How many words do you want it to be?

Grey Wolf

Donor
Romulus Augustulus said:

The professional German politicians had to rescue Kaiser Wilhelm II from himself, for example over the treaty with Russia at the height of the Russo-Japanese War that he signed on a personal level with the Tsar

Grey Wolf

How About A Good Old Fashioned Plague?

Considering the dangers wrought by the avian flu in Hong Kong, the 1918 Spanish influenza epidemic, Legionnaire's disease and the AIDS virus, why not have a plague?

For instance, how devastating to European culture would an outbreak of the Ebola virus or the AIDS virus be in the year 1900?

Second, what technologies or policies would be implemented in order to combat the virus?

Third, what would be th ereligious implications of the virus?

Wait...Justin...

It's the agreed-to stuff, right? Boer victory at Ladysmith, Queen Victoria dies, Edward becomes King, Kaiser Wilhelm says a few very stupid things, Edward become paranoid?

Romulus Augustulus said:
Wait...Justin...

It's the agreed-to stuff, right? Boer victory at Ladysmith, Queen Victoria dies, Edward becomes King, Kaiser Wilhelm says a few very stupid things, Edward become paranoid?

Yes. More or less. There's enough room for the rest of you to manouvre.