The 200 Days: A Napoleonic Timeline

Just what the board needs another Napoleonic Timeline. I have no intention of writing a hundred-year history but will instead focus on the more knowable War of the VII Coalition. Any changes of history are my own musings, which I think are logical. However, I'm eager to listen to any constructive criticism from anyone, and especially from those with a lot more knowledge of Napoleon, his wars, and the personalities of the time. I hope those who read my work will enjoy it, and not think it's a tale told by an idiot.

chapter I: The Quality of Mercy
Paris France the gardens of Malmaison, Sunday May 15, 1814

"I may have agreed to this interview, but why would I agree to grant your request Madame?" After decades of dealing with powerful men the Duchess of Navarre could tell from the tone of the tall balding young man in the garb of a Russian general that his inclinations were against her, but like all men he was pliable. A warm smile crossed her lips as she rose to the challenge of melting his resistance. "Because majesty saying no gains you nothing, while saying yes can gain you much. It is well known that you believe God wills you to establish a new peace in Europe based on Christian values, of justice, and good will."

Pressing forward with the power of her physical personality she took the Tsar's right hand and held it between both of hers. "When my husband the emperor spoke of you, he always referred to you as a romantic, a man more at home in the age of chivalry than the cynical age we live in. Your majesty the women of France, and all of Europe will see your consent to my request to join my husband in his exile on Elba as a chivalrous, and magnanimous act from the conqueror of the greatest conqueror since Ceasar. Women may not occupy the corridors of power you walk, but your majesty well knows the influence we wield."

Alexander couldn't help but be affected by the charm of this French beauty. Even at the age of 50 Joséphine was still a sensual force to be reckoned with. Many handsome younger men had been her lovers, and it was said she still ruled the heart of the great Napoleon Bonaparte. What harm would there be in letting her join the Ogre in his comfortable cage on Elba?

Suddenly the sensual smile disappeared from her face, and her warm hands were withdrawn, to be replaced by a violent coughing fit. "You are unwell Madame?" It took a moment for Josephine to regain her poise. "For some time, majesty I have had a heavy chest cold." Smiling again she added. "But not to worry, perhaps the more congenial climate of Italy, and the warm embrace of my husband will restore my health."

The Tsar placed a hand on her shoulder and replied sympathetically. "Perhaps". Ever forceful Josephine looked up at the tall man who was the supreme autocrat of the largest nation on earth, and perhaps arbiter of the fate of Europe. "I have already made my arrangements majesty and will be setting out for Leghorn in the morning. I thank you majesty for honoring me by his visit and hope my trust in his gallantry to relieve the distress of a loving wife will not be disappointed." The empress curtsied and backed away, cutting short the royal exchange. Alexander somewhat surprised by what seemed an abrupt end to the conversation closed with a hopeful. "Madame I shall consider the matter."

For Josephine the exchange had been taxing. The burden of wearing a tight corset, while already having such difficulty breathing left her dizzy, but she was confident she'd won her case. Even without the corset she knew the journey ahead would be difficult. Wisdom might tell her it was wiser to wait in Malmaison for a positive answer, which would give her time to regain her health, but something told her she must not wait, that this would be a fateful journey. Like other action in her impulsive life this would be a leap of faith.

For his part Alexander had been charmed as many men had by the famous lady. So great was her power over Napoleon that she had weathered many storms with him that would've sunk the ship of any other woman. But this absolute sovereign who'd often been influenced by the women in his life could see why men always forgave her. Even after having to divorce her for reasons of State and marrying a Grand duchess of Austria to produce an heir he allowed her to retain the title of empress. It was difficult to say no to such a lady. And why not say yes? What harm could there be in allowing a defeated man the company of the love of his life? What harm indeed.

Last edited:
I’m interested in seeing where this is going!
What do you have in mind?
I humbly request that you give Napoleon II a longer & better life! (In this timeline if you decide to proceed)
It would be funny if Napoleon II would end up considering Josephine his mother more than Maria Louise!!!

Chapter II: Love is patient and kind
Portoferraio, Island of Elba 4pm Thursday May 26, 1814

After two weeks on Elba Napoleon Bonaparte had already established a daily routine. After an afternoon bath he would begin a 4pm inspection tour of his troops, and facilities or conduct official visits with the important citizens of the island returning to his residence for a 6pm dinner with his mother, and some members of his staff, but this evening was not destined to be routine. Stepping to the door of his residence he was confronted by a panting general Drouot. "Sire!" "What is it Drouot?" "Sire it is you wife, the empress Josepine, she has just arrived at the main landing in town." "My Josepine here?" A delighted Napoleon nearly shouted out in joy, as he started to race toward the waterfront, till he was blocked by his governor general. "Sire, wait, the empress I fear she is very ill."

Napoleon stopped thunderstruck; his joy turned to shock. "What is it Drouot?" "Dr Beauregard has just begun his examination, but it appears to be pneumonia. My emperor I fear you must prepare yourself for the worst. " For a moment the emperor stood in silence, then murmured, "No, no it must not be. I must see her now." By the time Napoleon reached the customs house Josepine was pale, her breathing labored, and she seemed disoriented.

Conferring briefly with Dr Beauregard the emperor was told it was amazing she had made it so far. She'd hired a private coach and left Paris ten days ago traveling incognito, with two ladies in waiting, a Dr named Macron, a private nurse, and a bodyguard, plus the drivers. Once in Leghorn she found permission waiting for her at the French consulate to proceed to Elba, but her illness became more serious once at sea, and by the time she landed she was barely conscience. Dr Beauregard's prognosis was serious, but she was strong, and her chances of survival would depend on her will to live.

Thanking the doctor for his report Napoleon entered the room and knelt next to her bed. "My love it is I your husband." Hearing his voice seemed to calm her, and she seemed to recognize him. "My love the doctor says you must fight to stay with me. He does not know my Josepine is more a determined fighter than any man in the Old Guard, for I have never been able to tame you. Now that you are with me your emperor orders you to stay with him. Do you understand me?" Josepine nodded assent, but then fell into a restless sleep.

A weeping Napoleon ordered his wife to be taken to his residence in the Villa San Martino there to begin her recovery. The climate at the summer home was perhaps too warm but the hot dry climate might be just what was needed for her recovery. If the cold spring rains of Paris had made her ill the hot Mediterranean sun might be the cure. And so began her long convalescence, and one of the happiest periods in the life of Napoleon Bonaparte.

Last edited:
For Josephine the exchange had been taxing. The burden of wearing a tight corset, while already having such difficulty breathing left her dizzy, but she was confident she'd won her case
Corsets were by and large not as depicted in Pirates of the Caribbean. They were useful devices for supporting the back, not breath constrictors.

Corsets were by and large not as depicted in Pirates of the Caribbean. They were useful devices for supporting the back, not breath constrictors.
Thanks for that. I hope you're right. I guess it depends on how tight you lace them. Personally, I love the bustiers, but I've always felt sorry for the ladies wearing tight corsets. Ladies breathing is more important than having a tiny waist.

Thanks for that. I hope you're right. I guess it depends on how tight you lace them. Personally, I love the bustiers, but I've always felt sorry for the ladies wearing tight corsets. Ladies breathing is more important than having a tiny waist.
They almost never constricted breathing. Men and women both wore them with little difficulty.

Chapter III: Restoration
Island of Elba May 1814- February 1815

"Love is a form of madness, and for which you doctors will never find a cure. Only madness could make a sick woman risk her life to join a man, who has treated her so falsely, and now has nothing to offer her. I who once controlled the fate of Europe, and now is condescended to be given dominion over a pile of rocks off the coast of Italy truly has nothing to give. It is no wonder that Roman emperors punished formally important persons by sending them to rocks like this around the Middle Sea. Ah well, at least it's warm here."

Dr Beauregard Chuckled, as he poured himself another cup of wine. "Sire the weather is the only thing that makes this island bearable. I did not serve with you in Egypt, but with the Guard in colder climes. In fact, this climate maybe what saved the empress's life. Goodness knows I can take little credit for it. But I think there is another factor in her improvement, and it belies your talk of madness. I've seen many men given the will to live by hate, but a woman can live for love."

Napoleon smiled. "Your drink too much doctor, but you're right a woman can live for love, but so can a man. Josephine has always been my poison, and my best medicine." Casting his eyes down he continued. "If she died a part of my soul would die too. I've had many women in my life doctor. Mistresses, and wives who have borne me sons, but did not love me. My mother, and sisters love me, but give me no peace, they tear at my flesh like furies, but Josephine stole my heart when I was young, and still a romantic. Can a man be young again doctor?"

The Dr thought a moment choosing his words carefully. "As a medical man I would say no, but as a surgent in the Guard I've seen many a man in the ranks older than your majesty shoulder a musket, and march, and fight on campaign. The spartan life, and training keeps them in prime shape. Perhaps sire you need the advice of a sergeant rather than a surgent, if you'll pardon a pun."

The emperor digested that a moment, and replied, "You may have something there, doctor."

With that a new phase in the emperor's life seemed to begin. He did consult some the sergeants of the Old Guard and changed his daily regimen. He walked more on his own, and with the empress, swam in the sea, and rode more with her. He had a saddle maker design a custom saddle for him better suited for long term comfort. Long hours in the saddle had always exhausted him on campaign, and inflamed his hominoids, so even a small improvement would help. Slowly over the Summer Josephine regained her strength from her battle with pneumonia, while Napoleon lost weight, and some of his many aliments subsided.

As the heat of the summer grow more intense the imperial couple moved to another villa higher up in the hills. Napoleon showed his administrative skills by helping his subjects on the island. He developed mines, and used the profits to pay for roads, and revamping the education system. The general created a militia system to defend the island. Elba soon became a magnet for former officers seeking employment. Some were useless, but others were to prove highly competent. Napoleon's Polish mistress Maria Walewska, and their 5-year-old son Alexandre Joseph visited the island and stayed as guests of the imperial couple.

The summer faded into fall, and one of the happiest times in the life of Napoleon Bonaparte came to an end, with the intrusion of the European balance of power. Napoleon was hearing intelligence of those at the concert of Europe in Vienna plotting against him, and the peace of his pleasant principality. He was even hearing of plots stirring against his estranged brother in-law Murat, now king of Naples, to replace him with the previous Bourbon king.

With few other potential allies on the European seen it was unwise to hold grudges. Napoleon sent coded messages to Murat suggesting to him that events were unfolding, and the sequencing of them was critical. He told the one-time Marshal of France he must bide his time, and not seize the initiative, no matter how tempting it might be, but wait on events. His rivals hoped he would take the role of the aggressor, and he must not give them that weapon.

Napoleon was aware that the France of Louis XVIII was raked by internal divisions, and that elements of society, and the military would welcome his return. And so, Napoleon ever the opportunist began making his plans. Years ago, he'd defended his seizing the thrown by saying. "They, say I stole the crown of France, that is a lie. I found it lying in a gutter."

So, after a happy 6 months he told the love of his life it was time for her to go. She had restored his spirits, and healed his body, but she could not be part of what now lay ahead. He had to know she was safe, so, back to Malmaison she must go. And no one was to know she had any knowledge of his new plans. The price of any failure must only fall on him, and his followers, not the woman he loved. If his plans meet with success he would see her again, if they failed, she must carry on without him. When the time was right everything would be set in motion, and history would see the events of the 200 days unfold.

Writers, notes: Josephine died of pneumonia on May 29, 1814. She is said to have meet with Alexander I and requested permission to join Napoleon on Elba. News of her death sent Napoleon into a black depression. He locked himself in a room and would see no one for 48 hours. She was the one woman in his life he could never put behind him. His last words were. (“France, the army, head of the army, Joséphine”). Having her with him would certainly elevate his mood and motivate him to take better care of himself.

Napoleon's medical history https://www.napoleon.org/en/history...s/another-napoleonic-mystery-napoleons-death/ is a long, and depressing list of painful, and embarrassing illnesses. He was not a well man, which frequently effected his military efficiency, particularly in his last campaigns. It is noted that the time he spent of Elba was a high point in his health during his later years. The positive effects of the climate, and his adapting a more spartan regimen to reduce his weight, and improving his health is shear speculation on my part but seem logical to me. In the modern world a doctor might suggest the same things to a patient with the same complaints.

Chapter IV: Plans & Leaders
Château de Saint-Cloud: Tuesday June 6, 1815

"Berthier dead, I can't believe it, and by his own hand, I can scarcely credit it. What do you think Soult? You saw the man more recently than I, what was his state of his mind?" Jean-de-Dieu Soult, marshal of the empire, and duke of Dalmatia shifted in his chair. He was clearly uncomfortable assessing his fellow marshal's state of mind.

"He was unsettled sire. We all serve France, but Berthier could not find his footing under the royalists, nor could he bring himself to rejoin us when you returned to France. I think the man was tired, which is why he withdrew to Bavaria. Remember sire he was older than the rest of us. He was what 61? The weight on the chief of staff shoulders is heavy for any man. I would not willingly take it myself. Better to face cannon while leading men at the front then shoulder all that pen & paper. I wish you luck with the job General Arrighi."

Soult's witticism drew nerves guffaws from everyone in the room except General Arrighi. A second cousin through marriage to the emperor Jean-Toussaint Arrighi de Casanova was also a fellow Corsican, which almost led Napoleon to send the general there, but something told him chief of staff would be a better fit. The emperor rose from his chair, and steeped behind his sitting young cousin, and put his hand on his shoulder.

"The prince de Neufchatel knew my mind often better than I knew it myself. But fear not the duc de Padova (Padua) will serve me just as well. He is intelligent, Loyal, energetic, thinks, and writes clearly. He will understand the mind of the man receiving my directives and their replies. He did not earn the Legion of Honor for being my cousin, but for being a man of action. He has my confidence as our new Major General for the army." General Arrighi was almost overcome with emotions but managed to reply. "I thank your majesty for his confidence, and I swear to the best of my abilities to justify the trust you have placed in me."

Pausing a moment, the emperor looked into the faces of the small group of senior leaders present to take a final measure of the men he'd be depending on to carry out his operational plan. "Messieurs I have summoned you all here today to inform you what roles I have assigned you for the coming campaign. What I tell you now must be kept in the strictest secrecy. If the enemy discovers our plans too soon France can be undone. That is why I instructed each of you to bring along only a small group of your most trusted aide de camps. No one without a need to know must have any inkling that a strategic operation is even being planned."

Taking a moment for the gravity of the situation to sink in, and the murmurs in room to die down the emperor turned to Arrighi and ordered him to produce the large-scale map. An aide of the Major General opened one of several map cases he carried and handed it to his chief who unrolled it on the conference table. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/23/Part_of_Belgium_engraved_by_J._Kirkwood.jpg

"You already know we face an enemy whose growing strength will soon allow him to attack on every front with superior forces. We cannot allow that to happen. Rather than stand on the defensive I am determined to attack. As we speak the armies of Russia & Austria are marching across Germany towards the frontiers of France, while war rages in Italy, and the feeble king of Spain dallies beyond the Pyrenees. For now, only the armies of England, under "Monsieur Villainton" (Duke of Wellington), and Prussia under Prince Blucher are an immediate danger, and it is against them that we will strike."

A dozen pairs of eyes positioned themselves around the table Josling for a better view of the map while the emperor's used a pointer to better explain his plans. "Combined the enemy has a superior force, but they are not combined. The weakness in their deployment is their division. Most of the English army is deploy facing west to protect their LOC though Ghent, running to Ostend, while Wellington whiles away his time in Brussels, keeping company with English Ladies. He fears losing his supply bases, and by faints, and rumors we shall continue to fix his attention in that direction. Perhaps we can find another lady to distract him as well."

The jab at Wellington's reputation for gallantry drew some snickering from his generals, particularly from Soult who had crossed swords many times with the duke in Spain. Napoleon wanted to make sure Soult wasn't intimidated by a man who'd out fought him on several occasions. He hoped that Soult would be looking for a rematch.

Blucher's supply base is here at Liege, in the opposite direction, over 210 kms away, and then his LOC run further back into Germany. He has his 1st Corps posted forward along the river Sambre at Charleroi. Behind them in echelon are the 2nd & 3rd Corps near his forward HQ at Namur, while his 4th Corps is nearer to Liege." Napoleon called for a more detailed road map of the region.

As you can see, they are deployed along this lateral road that runs westward from Liege to Namur to this town called Ligny, and on to this crossroads called Quatre Bras. From there the English can move to a junction with the Prussians and concentrate against us. We must prevent that by cutting this lateral road at the earliest possible hour of the campaign. So, the first stage of the operation will be a convergence of forces to seize the crossings of the Sambre near Charleroi. After that we must drive back the Prussians, and gain control of this lateral road before the English can use it to unite with them. Then we can decide which of our enemies to isolate, and defeat first."

Now to our deployment. The Armée du Nord shall be organized in 3 parts, a right & left wing, and central reserve. The left wing shall be yours Soult, and will consist of I Corps under D'Erlon, and II Corps under Reille. It seems you will be facing your old foe Wellington again. You Davout shall command the right wing, with Vandamme's III Corps, and IV Corps under Gérard. The reserve will be under my personal command, and shall consist of the Guard, under Mortier, and VI Corps under Comte de Lobau."

Pausing a moment as if he was searching for his next words the emperor continued. "General Grouchy you shall command the cavalry reserve. Since security is paramount for the success of this operation the efficiency of the cavalry screen cannot be underestimated. I have full confidence that you are the best man in France for this task."

Pausing again the emperor's demeaner became more somber. "Marshal Ney, Prince of the Moskva, and bravest of the brave, I know your heart calls you to the sound of the cannon, but the greatest duty you can perform is here in Paris. Only you can give me the peace of mind of knowing our main supply base, and political center is safe. You are appointed governor general, and commander of the garrison of Paris. It shall be your task to work with the war minister the Comte de Daru to mobilize the nation. You shall complete the training of the next wave of our army and ensure they will be battle ready in time to reinforce the armies of the frontier."

"Since the Corps of the army shall be converging on Charleroi along several different axis it will be difficult for most you to join your commands, and coordinate with your new staffs before the campaign begins. However, all of you will be given written orders from the war ministry which is developing timetables, orders of march, and routes to take to reach the concentration area were the army will be in a position to start the campaign. At that point we will all join our commands and begin operations. Unless there are any questions you are all dismissed."

It took several minutes to empty the room, till only Soult, and Davout were left with the emperor. The always blunt Davout spoke up first. "Sire is it really wise to leave Marshal Ney in command of Paris, and to be responsible for training?" Napoleon chuckled. "Ha, no. No place is safe with Marshal Ney about. The man has less understanding of strategy, and worse judgment than the newest joined drummer boy." Both Soult & Davout openly laughed at that. Davout pressed a bit further. "But what shall we do?" "Oh he should be harmless enough, unless the Russian army arrives at the gates of Paris. Ney will be held in check by Dara, and the national guard, and the police to advise! him.

For the unity of the army, we must have the former Bourbon commander in chief. So, the man who vowed to bring me back to Paris in an iron cage cannot be seen to be dismissed, or dishonored. "And do not forget Davout that it was Ney who saved the remnant of III Corps, and covered our rear were others had failed. Whatever has happened to his balance Ney will always be the bravest of the brave." Davout lowered his eyes in embarrassment, because the emperor believed he had failed him leading the rearguard from Moscow. Davout could never forget the sting of being relieved of command and replacing by Ney. And now he felt nothing but sympathy for Ney, because the same thing had just happened to him. But there was no time for that now, there was only the war ahead of them.

Chapter IV: Drumhead
Field HQ French 14th Infantry Division
Near Florennes Belgium first light Thursday June 15, 1815

The concentration of forces was nearly complete. Napoleon had succeeded in amassing 125,000 men within striking distance of the enemy. Moving along several axis of advance 6 Corps were now assembled inside a rectangler area of about 100 sq miles. What's more he had done it without the enemy gaining any advanced warning of the approaching danger. Like the unfortunate General Mack at Ulm in 1805 Wellington, and Blucher were unaware of the grave danger they were now in. Surprise had been achieved now speed was of the essence. The emperor was counting on the legs of his Valant Poilu to close the trap before the enemy could escape.

General of Division Louis-Auguste-Victor, Count de Ghaisnes de Bourmont was commanding the led division of General Gerard's IV Corps advancing on the far right of the right wing of the army of the North. Wishing to avoid the congestion caused by so many units funneling into Charleroi Gerard had ordered a shift to the east to seize the crossings of the Sambre at Chalet to the east of Charleroi. If Von Ziethen's I Corps made a major fight of it at Charleroi IV Corps would be in a good position by the early afternoon to turn their left flank. If they retreated towards Sombreffe they'd be in a good position to intercept or block them, which would force them into a major battle in isolation from the rest of the Prussian army.

General Bourmont riding near the head of the led regiment suddenly shouted out to holt the column. Turning to one of his aides he ordered him to ride ahead, and find the advanced cavalry scouts, and order them to assemble a squadron and present themselves to him on this spot. Bourmont dismounted and walked off to the side of the road for a conference with his staff. After about 30 minutes a squadron of lancers from the 6th Cavalry Division was assembled, led by a major de Soto. de Soto dismounted, and approached the general, and saluted.

"Orders sir?" Count Bourmont returned the salute and replied. "At ease major. I've ordered the column to hold position here till I can be certain were not walking into a trap." de Soto couldn't disguise his sense of surprise. "To my knowledge sir there's been no indication of enemy activity within kilometers of our position." Bourmont looked sternly at the major and continued in a sharper tone. "I have intelligence you are not privy to major. You will escort me, and my staff on a special forward reconnaissance mission. It is very important major that you follow my orders to the letter. This mission has been ordered by imperial headquarters, and I cannot tell you anymore, so do not ask me. Just obey your orders."

de Soto came to attention, saluted again, and remounted. The major led his squadron up the road saying nothing more but becoming more concerned by the minute over the time being lost as the whole of IV Corps was stopped in it tracks by the standdown of the 14th Division. After moving ahead about 5 km Bourmont ordered the squadron to halt. and called for the major.

Now very concerned de Soto reported as ordered. The mounted men faced each other. Saluting de Soto said, "General." Bourmont smiling warmly replied. "Major, we have arrived at the correct location. You have completed your mission and your services will no longer be required. I and my staff can now complete our task." Reaching into his coat pocket the general drew out a wax sealed envelope and handed it to the major. "You must take this letter to General Gerard and deliver it personally to him. You are to hold the column in place until General Gerard gives you new orders." Saluting again the general added. "You have served France well today. carry on."

Major de Soto did not return the salute and the lancer replied. "General Bourmont you are under arrest. If you resist, I will run you through. Your aides are under arrest as well." Calling to his sergeant major he ordered the prisoners to be disarmed. "General you will be treated with the respect your rank deserves but you will obey my orders, is that clear?" Bourmont had turned white but replied with a sheepish yes.

Moving back down the road they were meet by the once again advancing 14th. Returning to the area they'd started from about 90 minutes ago de Soto saw the unmistakable large bald head of Marshal Davout. The major reported to the marshal and presented his prisoner. Davout ordered the major to dismount and join a party of officers he had assembled. Davout bored into the eyes of Bourmont with a severity de Soto had never seen before. de Soto had the presence of mind to hand Davout Bourmont's envelope, tearing it open he quickly read it. Davout spoke in a low voice. "You have written your own death warrant Bourmont.

Davout had a drummer's drum brought to him, had it turned upside down, and sat on it. 11 other officers including de Soto were sworn in as a courts marshal board, and the Defendents were stood before them. 1 captain was assigned as defense council, and another from the divisional staff to keep a transcript of the proceedings. The marshal charged the defendants with desertion in the face of the enemy. The letter was passed among the court members, leaving no doubt Bourmont, and his aides were planning to defect to the enemy. The defense council argued that this matter could only be decided by a proper court, or by the emperor himself. Davout as president of the court denied the motion and asked the defendants if they had anything to say in their defense.

Each of them called for their case to be brought before the emperor and asked for his clemency. Davout's eyes bore into Bourmont and said. "Denied." "The verdict of the court will now be heard. Each of them solemnly voted guilty. Continuing his intense stare Davout pronounced them all guilty. Speaking for the court he continued. "Bourmont this court has found you guilty of a capital crime. You have disgraced the uniform and betrayed your country. I have always known you were false to the emperor's cause and thought it a mistake to give you any office of trust, which is why I gave warning to officers of this command to arrest you at the first sign of treachery. Unfortunately, I was proven right, you are a traitor.

Compounding your crime, you have convinced others to join you in your treason. And not only have you betrayed the emperor, and this army you have betrayed the trust of General Gerard. A good, and faithful man who made the mistake of vouching for you and trusting you. You sent this your death warrant to Gerard, to be delivered in person to him. Did you seek to put a dagger in his heart? You are not only a traitor, but an assassin to. Oh, and you can have the satisfaction of knowing you have delayed this army one hour in its march.

Pausing a moment Davout turned to his court and asked. "What sentence do you recommend for this traitor?" Each of the members voted for death." Davout continued. "So, it is death, and rightly decided. Count Bourmont you are sentenced to be shoot by firing squad. Sentence to be carried out in 10 minutes, so you can have benefit of clergy. The regimental chaplain will see to you soul. These other men shall be taken to Paris to be dealt with later. Sargent of the guard take this man away. This sentence is to be carried out by the order of Louis Nicolas Davout, Duke of Auerstaedt, Prince of Eckmühl, and Marshal of France, and only I am responsible for this verdict. You junior officers have only done your duty and have no blood on your hands. This court is dismissed."

de Soto was left numb by what had happened, and hoped he'd never be involved again in such an affair. He was now even more intimidated by Marshal Davout. Now he understood why he was known as the Iron Marshal. But now it was the time to get back to the business of war. They'd lost an hour, and now had to ride harder to make it up. It would still be hours before they made contact with the Prussians, and the furious old man leading them. de Soto thought it was hard to imagine Blucher could be as hard a man as Davout. But that remained to be proven.

Writers note. The story of General Bourmont is based on facts, Major Soto was my creation. Bourmont succeeded in his effort to defect, and he did it the way I presented it, by stopping his column, and calling for a squadron to escort him forward. He did send them back with a letter for General Gerard explaining his defection. What changed was the presence of Marshal Davout. In the OTL as war minister Davout was violently opposed to Count Bourmont being employed in any position, because he believed he was a traitor, and a Bourbon spy.

When Bourmont reached Blucher's HQ he refused to accept the reliability of the information he gave them, because he believed a traitor was always a traitor, and no information he provided could be counted on. What his defection accomplished was to slow the advance of IV Corps for several hours. Those hours might have changed the course of the fighting around Charleroi, making it harder for the Prussians to disengage, and move off toward Ligny.

Thinking it out I saw Wing Commander Davout taking active measures in the event of Bourmont making a false move. Davout positioned himself near Bourmont's division and kept a close eye on it. Seeing the division stopped in its tracks stalling the whole Corps he rode to the scene of the problem. The rest of Davout's actions I believe were in character. When Napoleon finds out about the matter, he will pass over it, glad that Davout used his authority to spare him from having to make a discission that might be divisive in the army. Napoleon was trying to pull the royalist, and imperialist factions of the army together, and it was easier for Davout to be the bad guy.

The next chapter will be about the crossing of the Sambre, and the battle of Charleroi. Take care all.