Stronger Russia

If I wanted to utilise a stronger Russia in my TL, what POD would be required to have an economically stronger and more stable Russian Empire by the end of the 19th century.

I am happy with a POD after 1800, are there any notable diplomats, economists that can be brought to the forefront?

The Tsar-Liberator (that'd be Alex II for all you non-Russophiles) survives his OTL successful assassination in 1881. Perhaps he simply decides not to leave his carriage, and instead hurries to the Winter Palace. See, the thing about this is that while he wasn't exactly a true reformer, one of his last ideas was the creation of a constitution which would limit the powers of the Autocrat and create an elected Duma. If he had survived to do this, Russia might have successfully modernized its economy by 1910. They were on a fairly good path even in OTL before WWI (mostly because of Pyotr Stolypin and his predecessor, Sergei Witte), so if moderate reformers like Stolypin were given a 20-year head start on their work from OTL, things should be a lot better.

/exhaustedreply

Problem is Alexander II was 62 when he was assassinated, how much longer would he have?

If you don't save Tsarevich Nicholas, Alexander III is still going to be autocratic and end up on the throne, and may live longer due to butterflies...

Actually, if AlexIII marries morganatically, or dies, Vladimir sounds like a much better option. I'd go with him.

Last edited: