Sports What Ifs.

I just watched the 2004 episode of Caught in the Draft on You Tube. In that episode, Ernie Accorsi (Giants GM) talked about a scenario where he almost traded down from the fourth overall pick to the seventh (with Cleveland). However, he said that he didn't want the Browns to get Eli, so he decided against it.

If he makes the trade, the Browns are the ones who draft Rivers and trade him to the Chargers for Eli, not the Giants. I think that Big Ben would have ended up with the Giants at seven, leaving the Steelers out in the cold.

Last edited:
I just watched the 2004 episode of Caught in the Draft on You Tube. In that episode, Ernie Accorsi (Giants GM) talked about a scenario where he almost traded down from the fourth overall pick to the seventh (with Cleveland). However, he said that he didn't want the Browns to get Eli, so he decided against it.

If he makes the trade, the Browns are the ones who draft Rivers and trade him to the Giants for Eli, not the Giants. I think that Big Ben would have ended up with the Giants at seven, leaving the Steelers out in the cold.
The Browns Wanted Rivers, they even called Eli Manning ' a white shoeless joe namath' in their scout book, the same one mentioned they wanted rivers, that was on reddit but sadly is offline now, So if they trade up is because they want Rivers not Eli. So we could see the giants tooking Big Ben or trading Ben to the Chargers them

Since Bo would have left around 1972, I wonder if Johnny Majors (who was at Iowa St.) would have also been in the mix. If he goes to Michigan instead of Pitt, though, I wonder if Pitt decides to get rid of their football program like they almost did.
He'd be a good one. Also, while I know Dan Devine would probably only leave for Notre Dame, if the deal was sweet enough would he leave Mizzou for Michigan? People forget that Dan had turned Mizzou into the winningest program of the 60's and once he left, Oklahoma returned to dominance and Bob Devaney had turned Nebraska into a powerhouse.

He'd be a good one. Also, while I know Dan Devine would probably only leave for Notre Dame, if the deal was sweet enough would he leave Mizzou for Michigan? People forget that Dan had turned Mizzou into the winningest program of the 60's and once he left, Oklahoma returned to dominance and Bob Devaney had turned Nebraska into a powerhouse.

When Bo was almost hired, it was at the end of 1972 (for the 1973 season). Devine had just led the Packers to an NFC Central Title. He probably would have been less likely to go to Michigan at that point, but if he somehow did, the Packers would have avoided making one of the dumbest trades ever in the Fall of 1974.

When Bo was almost hired, it was at the end of 1972 (for the 1973 season). Devine had just led the Packers to an NFC Central Title. He probably would have been less likely to go to Michigan at that point, but if he somehow did, the Packers would have avoided making one of the dumbest trades ever in the Fall of 1974.
The thing is, Dan doesn't have a connection to Michigan. I think like Lou Holtz, he had a Notre Dame clause or something similar. Though maybe i'm wrong.

The thing is, Dan doesn't have a connection to Michigan. I think like Lou Holtz, he had a Notre Dame clause or something similar. Though maybe i'm wrong.

According to that 30 for 30 episode (Catholics vs. Convicts), Lou did have a ND clause when he was Minnesota coach.

I was thinking of a world where Joe Namath goes to play for the Saint Louis Cardinals (the NFL team), who originally drafted him.
He was drafted at the same time both teams...still Namath Passing can give SLC a little Superbowl Window...in 1967, the year he passed over 4000 yard in a 14 week season and when the sport was still 'Kill the quarterback' Cardinals Game was not bad, but Passing did ail, with him we can swing the game to outstage brown...but i still see hard to beat the packers power sweep...1969 is the other window.

I can see the raider repeat in 1968 and they would beat the colts, so keep the 'AFL is legit' bowl.

Meanwhile the jets are even more miserable than OTL...i can see Bradshaw or Archie Manning Wasting their careers them

80FD85B4-63DE-4120-A78F-CAF3AD0BEF9E.jpeg

What do y’all think would happen if this happened?

The Blazers would have had a solid rotation with M. Thompson (Klay's pop, 18.4 ppg in 84-85) at PF, Sampson (22 ppg with HOU) in the pivot, Kiki Vandeweghe (22.4 ppg) at SF (with a young Jerome Kersey backing him up), 2x All-Star Jim Paxson at SG (17.9 ppg), and Darnell Valentine at PG (7 apg) with Terry Porter on the way in the 1985 draft.

If Sampson stays healthy, and they still get Buck Williams (maybe they trade Mychal Thompson and Vandeweghe for Williams and a #1 pick in this reality) and Drazen Petrovic (who would get more minutes with Paxson gone by then and no Drexler), they may have had a better chance to win a title by 1991 or 92, even with MJ in the way (in Houston, not Chicago).

Of course, now we'll be having discussions like, "Who would have one the 2019-2020 NBA title if the season had been played out," or "Would Player X have been a star if she hadn't lost her senior season and got rusty."

What if the Eagles moved to phoenix?

IMO, basketball would become the #2 most popular sport in Texas if the MJ-Drexler-Hakeem trio had been part of the Rockets; it would take ASBs for basketball to depose football as Texas' #1 sport, IMO (there's an old joke: There are two seasons in Texas--football and spring football.)...

What if the Eagles moved to phoenix?
Why do you want to hurt me?

Since there has been the MJ documentary, there was something, thanks to another TL, I am seriously inquiring in,

Regardless of team (Rockets, Blazers, etc.), WI Ewing and Jordan were teammates?