Sports What Ifs.

Or... You already had the second pick before trading it. What if you got Leaf?
Leaf either bust or OTL or become good enough walk away and we might never Larry Fitzgerald...the larree is Even worse, plus without Plummer 1-15 is possible So we could get Manning or leaf

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/6...ory-jim-druckenmiller-jake-plummer-bill-walsh This one change everything @AltSptHst , if we loss the Snake. either we Keep Kent Graham or draft Druckmiller, either sucks..meaning we got the prize of 1998...Peyton Manning. Idea guys?

Manning may still lead the Cards to the playoffs like Plummer did (and maybe a division title). However, their season still ends in Minnesota.

In 1999, they don't have SD's #1 pick in this world, so no David Boston (SD may take him since they really didn't have any WR's). Then, the Cards still pick LT L.J. Shelton in Round 1 (he would go on to have a 10-year career He started at least 14 games in four of his six years in the desert before going to Cleveland in 2005), and maybe decide to take Tennessee WR Peerless Price (one of Peyton's former teammates) in Round 2 instead of Florida LB Johnny Rutledge (since they don't get Boston).

That season, they were 6-6 after 12 games before losing their last four. They did that with Jake Plummer (who had 24 INT's in 11 starts) and Danger Dave Brown (who had two TD's and six INT's in eight games). With Manning, maybe they win three more games and make the playoffs (8-8 got Dallas in that year).

Then, in 2000, they are picking 22nd instead of seventh, and they need a RB. They decide to trade up a few spots and snag Shaun Alexander. They were 3-13 in reality, but they have to do better with Manning and Alexander. However, they probably miss the playoffs, but they are drafting tenth or eleventh, and maybe they can add LB Dan Morgan or DT Marcus Stroud to a defense that was 30th in points allowed, and would be the key to the rest of Manning's tenure in the desert.

hen, in 2000,
Yeah we would not be in place to preempt the mcnabb-reid era in the eagles and the big wrecking Blue but that put ya in good position to invest in either offensive or defensive line to protect Manning or release pressure from offense, and in 2001 we might sneak into playoffs over Tampa just to be rammed by Warner and co.
But in place to compete with Plummer lead 49ers in the new NFC west

Warren moon plays his whole career in the NFL and doesn't have to go to the CFL bcuz of the NFL's racist QB stereotypes
And please dont use Doug William's as your defense...Joe Gibbs was the only nfl staff that visited him and the bucks would not have drafted him if it wasn't for his report...and even then he had to go to the USfl bcuz the owner wouldn't pay him starter money when his contract came up

And please dont use Doug William's as your defense...Joe Gibbs was the only nfl staff that visited him and the bucks would not have drafted him if it wasn't for his report...and even then he had to go to the USfl bcuz the owner wouldn't pay him starter money when his contract came up

You are right. Although, in Doug's defense, the owner didn't re-sign him in 1983 because he (Hugh Culverhouse) was a notorious cheapskate.

Here's a question that might have been discussed already, but what if the CFL kept by it's originally plan for "CFL USA", focusing on cities near the border ignored by the NFL instead of cities in the Deep South of the United States?

The cities originally planned for expansion were:

- Columbus, Ohio

- Rochester, New York

- Hartford, Connecticut

- Milwaukee, Wisconsin

- Boise, Idaho

- Portland, Oregon

With the ultimate plan for 10 Canadian and 10 American teams. As there were nine teams at the time, I guess the 10th team for Canada is the long-though about Halifax/Atlantic Schooners.
I would have loved it if this was successful....not from Canada but something to watch in the summertime would have been cool

Not to mention Matt Leinart, another in the long list of scrub QB's who won the Heisman.

However, his time with the Jets wasn't that bad. Take away that loss in Miami on the fake spike, and that season may have been different. He should have gotten another year, but instead, the Jets bring in Kotite, and have one of the worst stretches of all-time.
USC qbs suck in the nfl....the best one was palmer that fact in itself is bad

Here's a question that might have been discussed already, but what if the CFL kept by it's originally plan for "CFL USA", focusing on cities near the border ignored by the NFL instead of cities in the Deep South of the United States?

The cities originally planned for expansion were:

- Columbus, Ohio

- Rochester, New York

- Hartford, Connecticut

- Milwaukee, Wisconsin

- Boise, Idaho

- Portland, Oregon

With the ultimate plan for 10 Canadian and 10 American teams. As there were nine teams at the time, I guess the 10th team for Canada is the long-though about Halifax/Atlantic Schooners.

OK this is an old post but because someone else quoted this, it peaked my interest

For some teams, one big problem are existing facilities. The CFL expanded to places like Birmingham, Baltimore and San Antonio who already had existing football stadiums or were in the process of building football stadiums. Rochester, Hartford, and Milwaukee don't have this and would need to either build stadiums or significantly renovate existing soccer or baseball stadiums to accommodate the CFL (Milwaukee hosted the Packers up until 1994 in Milwaukee County Stadium but a CFL field wouldn't fit and the Brewers were already in the process of getting a baseball-exclusive stadium). In a league strapped for cash, I don't think the funds would be available to get to these teams up and started

As said, money is the real issue. The CFL was still heavily reliant on gate sales, and I don't think anywhere in the US could support it except the NFL-hungry Baltimore. The main issue of the CFL trying to expand to the US is that there just there is little to no interest. The CFL made no attempt to market itself in the US since they stopped hosting games in the US in the 60's. I mean, the only time the Grey Cup has been consistently been on national American TV was in the 80's on ESPN, there was only regional coverage of the CFL in the 1990's before ESPN repicked it back up. Maybe if the CFL consistently continues to host preseason games and doesn't bail on the US in the 60's, maybe the CFL could succeed here.

OK this is an old post but because someone else quoted this, it peaked my interest

For some teams, one big problem are existing facilities. The CFL expanded to places like Birmingham, Baltimore and San Antonio who already had existing football stadiums or were in the process of building football stadiums. Rochester, Hartford, and Milwaukee don't have this and would need to either build stadiums or significantly renovate existing soccer or baseball stadiums to accommodate the CFL (Milwaukee hosted the Packers up until 1994 in Milwaukee County Stadium but a CFL field wouldn't fit and the Brewers were already in the process of getting a baseball-exclusive stadium). In a league strapped for cash, I don't think the funds would be available to get to these teams up and started

As said, money is the real issue. The CFL was still heavily reliant on gate sales, and I don't think anywhere in the US could support it except the NFL-hungry Baltimore. The main issue of the CFL trying to expand to the US is that there just there is little to no interest. The CFL made no attempt to market itself in the US since they stopped hosting games in the US in the 60's. I mean, the only time the Grey Cup has been consistently been on national American TV was in the 80's on ESPN, there was only regional coverage of the CFL in the 1990's before ESPN repicked it back up. Maybe if the CFL consistently continues to host preseason games and doesn't bail on the US in the 60's, maybe the CFL could succeed here.

Even if county stadium could fit a CFL field, they still couldnt compete with the Packers. Former Milwaukee ticket holders still get two games a year at Lambeau. The state is crazy. I say that as someone who lived in Wisconsin for 30 years.

Even if county stadium could fit a CFL field, they still couldnt compete with the Packers. Former Milwaukee ticket holders still get two games a year at Lambeau. The state is crazy. I say that as someone who lived in Wisconsin for 30 years.
I firmly think the state can support a CFL team if the CFL was more popular. While we do love the Packers (I'm actually one of those people with Gold Package Tickets), we love the Badgers almost as much and they always sell out. The biggest obstacle, as I said, would be getting a stadium in place. County Stadium was a dump by the 1990's and they needed the space for Miller Park, and the Brewers completely opposed to sharing a stadium instead. I legitimately don't know where else you would put a CFL team if it's not in the Brewers new stadium, you'd have to approve to built a completely new stadium and there's no way taxpayers would vote for a second tax for a new facility.

If the team somehow finagled it's way into existence, it would be relatively popular, at least compared to other American CFL teams. The CFL is much more flexible day-of-the-week wise than the NFL or college, as long as games were played on Thursday or Friday nights and avoid playing on the same day as Badgers/Packers, then they would definitely have some support.

USC qbs suck in the nfl....the best one was palmer that fact in itself is bad

NFL QBs are pretty idiosyncratic. Miami had an incredible run in the 80s with Kelly, Kosar, and Testeverde. Michigan had a decent run in the 90s/00s with Brady, Griese, and Grbac. BYU had a good stretch with Jim McMahon, Steve Young and...Ty Detmer. But by and large, its pretty scattershot. I mean for every Joe Montana there's Rick Mirer. Another way to look at it is by looking at where the top QBs went over the last few decades:

Manning - Tennessee
Rogers - Cal
Brees - Purdue
Rivers - NC State
Russell Wilson - NC State & Wisconsin (NC State - QB U)
Eli - Miss
Brett Favre - Southern Miss
Joe Montana - Notre Dame
Dan Marino - Pitt
John Elway - Stanford
Ben Rothlisberger - Miami U
McNabb - Syracuse
Vick - West Virginia
Matt Ryan - BC
Flacco - Delaware
Kaepernick - Nevada
Alex Smith - Utah
Drew Bledsoe - Washington State
Randall Cunningham - UNLV
Tony Romo - Eastern Illinois
Steve McNair - Alcorn State
Cam Newton - Auburn

Forgive me if I missed a few obvious names. But Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, Florida St., Ohio State, Nebraska, and Alabama are a little short on NFL QBs despite the bowl wins. And to pre-empt, Vince Young and Tebow dont rate any higher than Leinart...

NFL QBs are pretty idiosyncratic. Miami had an incredible run in the 80s with Kelly, Kosar, and Testeverde. Michigan had a decent run in the 90s/00s with Brady, Griese, and Grbac. BYU had a good stretch with Jim McMahon, Steve Young and...Ty Detmer. But by and large, its pretty scattershot. I mean for every Joe Montana there's Rick Mirer. Another way to look at it is by looking at where the top QBs went over the last few decades:

Manning - Tennessee
Rogers - Cal
Brees - Purdue
Rivers - NC State
Russell Wilson - NC State & Wisconsin (NC State - QB U)
Eli - Miss
Brett Favre - Southern Miss
Joe Montana - Notre Dame
Dan Marino - Pitt
John Elway - Stanford
Ben Rothlisberger - Miami U
McNabb - Syracuse
Vick - West Virginia
Matt Ryan - BC
Flacco - Delaware
Kaepernick - Nevada
Alex Smith - Utah
Drew Bledsoe - Washington State
Randall Cunningham - UNLV
Tony Romo - Eastern Illinois
Steve McNair - Alcorn State
Cam Newton - Auburn

Forgive me if I missed a few obvious names. But Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, Florida St., Ohio State, Nebraska, and Alabama are a little short on NFL QBs despite the bowl wins. And to pre-empt, Vince Young and Tebow dont rate any higher than Leinart...
Vick went to Virginia Tech, not WVU. And Newton went to Florida before transferring.

I think the thing about "Quarterback U" is that USC consistently churns out pro-caliber quarterbacks, even if they aren't necessarily Pro Bowlers. For USC Matt Cassel, John David Booty, Mark Sanchez, Matt Barkley, Cody Kessler, and now Darnold all started games in the NFL. For a team like Wisconsin, it's Wilson, Scott Tolzein, and that's it. For a lot of those teams, it's similar.

WI the New Orleans Saints draft Drew Brees in the first round of the 2001 NFL draft, instead of San Diego drafting him in the second round?

(I decided not to go with Brees staying with San Diego, since it seemed like a good idea to release him at the time; nobody knew the career he'd have with the New Orleans Saints...)

Last edited:
decided not to go with Brees staying with San Diego, since it seemed like a good idea to release him at the time; nobody knew the career he'd have with the New Orleans Saints.
Plus they already drafted his sucessor in Philips Rivers

WI the New Orleans Saints draft Drew Brees in the first round of the 2001 NFL draft, instead of San Diego drafting him in the second round?

(I decided not to go with Brees staying with San Diego, since it seemed like a good idea to release him at the time; nobody knew the career he'd have with the New Orleans Saints...)

The Saints already had a 25 year old Aaron Brooks who just took them to the playoffs, I don't see why they would use a first rounder on a quarterback

If they do draft him, I'm thinking he either becomes the starter immediately or the next season. The Saints went 7-9 in 01 and finished the year with four straight losses. I think with a first round QB, Brooks gets dumped after that. I think how good Brees was in San Diego is kind of an open question since the Chargers had so many weapons. I don't think Brees adds a ton of value compared to Brooks early on, they might make the playoffs once or twice instead of being perennially at .500 but I don't think there's a Super Bowl appearence for the Saints early on. The Saints usually like holding on to quarterbacks even while they are kind of lackluster (Hebert, Brooks OTL, even Everett when he was clearly on the decline) so I'm guessing they'll stick with Brees even if he tears his rotator cuff. Not much difference OTL honestly