Semper Fidelis ad Astra: An alternate History of the Space Race

Chapter 0: It's a long way to the top.
  • First things first, this story has no relation or any connection to "Rewriting History" in any way and is totally new.
    This story is purely fictional, and will not always be 100% technically accurate, but I will try my best to give a reason for everything.

Hey everyone, glad to be back here to write a new alternate history story that I've been working on for quite some time.
    With all the education and whatnot, I won't be able to post regularly, however over the past few months, I have been writing out chapters and chapter ideas bit by bit, so I'm not starting from scratch.

Secondly, I'd like to thank a few people for helping me with this, primarily @defconh3ck and @Its_Marc these two helped massively with developing this story. I'd also like to thank @amateur for his help too.

Chapter 0: It's a long way to the top.

April 1970.
    It has been quite the journey for NASA and its human spaceflight program, with multiple successes and a ton of recognition from the public. The common American man has become heavily invested in keeping up with the current ongoings of human spaceflight, and every kid dreamed of being an astronaut one day. it was truly an upcoming space age. However, things began taking a turn off the rails so to speak, the program was in trouble.

NASA has been racking up problems, docking port this, oxygen tank that. With the recent Apollo 13 fiasco congress has been pressuring NASA and it's looking more and more catastrophic for the program. Congress has been discussing cutting the budget for the Apollo program, however, another entity has stepped in, offering to keep the program alive.

The United States Air Force...

Last edited:
    Chapter I : I Fought The Law
  • Before I begin, a massive thank you goes out to @Its_Marc for his help with this chapter, and once again thank you to @defconh3ck for their contributions as well.

Chapter I :
    I Fought The Law

At the peak of the Cold War, the United States Air Force was becoming increasingly concerned about the Soviet Union's advances in space technology, specifically their capability to haul things into orbit, and over to the Moon, the N-1 was a worthy opponent to the Saturn V. The Air Force believed that the Apollo program had the potential to be a powerful tool in defending the United States against Soviet aggression on the lunar surface. The Air Force argued that by taking control of the Apollo program, they could use the existing infrastructure to develop a Lunar Defense Program that would include advanced surveillance systems, weaponry, and defensive measures to protect American interests on the moon.

The Air Force had also suspected that the NASA-led Apollo program had become too slow and bureaucratic, leading to unnecessary delays and safety issues. They argued that the military's experience with rapid development and deployment of new technology would allow them to quickly and efficiently transform the Apollo program into a more effective tool for defending the United States on the lunar surface.

The Air Force's argument that NASA's incompetency led to the decision to transfer the Apollo program to the military's control was based on a series of perceived failures and mishaps in the program's history.
    Firstly, the Apollo 1 tragedy, where three astronauts were killed during a launch rehearsal, was blamed on NASA's lack of attention to safety and quality control. The Air Force believed that NASA had rushed the program, leading to mistakes that ultimately resulted in the loss of life.
    Similarly, the incident with Apollo 13, where an explosion in one of the oxygen tanks nearly caused the loss of the mission and crew, was seen as the ultimate proof of NASA's incompetence. The Air Force argued that NASA had failed to properly anticipate and mitigate potential risks, leading to a dangerous situation that could have been avoided with better planning and preparation. Despite initial resistance from NASA and other government agencies, the Air Force's arguments ultimately won the support of the President and Congress. The Apollo program was transferred to the Air Force's control, and they quickly began work on transforming it into the Lunar Defense Program.

----------------
    "So they're giving us away? Just because of 13?" Gordo said with food stuffed in his mouth, across the table from him sat Mitchel Wright. Gordo and Mitch were veteran Astronauts of the Gemini and Apollo programs, good friends ever since Gemini 7, these two were almost never seen apart at JSC.
    ----------------
    Mitch came from the navy, is a navy pilot, and has a wide and bright flight record. Gordo came from the Airforce, was an excellent pilot, and was absolutely remarkable with the T-38.
    ----------------
    "It's not that they're giving us away, it's more like the program is going away, we are staying with the NASA guys, just no more Moon," Mitch answered, putting his magazine down
    ----------------
    "So all these Airforce guys will just get to fly to the Moon? Do we have any idea what happens to us? What the hell do we even do? Apart from Skylab, we don't have too much here." Gordo quickly followed up
    ----------------
    "Yeah but the Airforce is forming a new Marine division, something like Lunar Marines I guess? Most of the information isn't public yet, we as astronauts don't know much" Mitch said, almost dismissing Gordo's questions as being too simple to answer.”
    ----------------
    It was a brief exchange of words, Gordo didn’t bother questioning it too much as of yet. He just sat at his table, indulging in his lunch. As far as he was concerned, it was not his problem to worry about the Moon anymore…
    ----------------
    As time went by, the entirety of the NASA staff had become accustomed to this change, despite it being rather sudden and unexpected, it wasn't the very least surprising. And so the law was passed, the program will be transfered over to the United States Airforce. It will not be enough to say that people were dissapointed, many were truly heartbroken, but it is not over yet. Despite its shift to a military purpose, the program will still live in its own way.

Preamble:
    An Act to transfer the Apollo program from NASA to the United States Air Force for the purposes of converting it into a lunar defense program against the Soviet Union.

Section 1: Transfer of Apollo Program to United States Air Force
    The Apollo program currently managed by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) shall be transferred to the United States Air Force, which will be responsible for its further development, management, and execution. This includes all personnel, assets, and resources associated with the Apollo program. However, for the next 10 years, NASA will work alongside the Air Force to provide them with the use of NASA-developed infrastructure and the contractors, such as Boeing Company, North American Aviation, Douglas Aircraft Company, and IBM. After the passing of the 10 years allocated to the cooperation of NASA and the United States Airforce, new infrastructure will be built to separate NASA and the USAF.

Section 2: Lunar Defense Program
    The Apollo program shall be rebranded as the Lunar Defense Program, which will aim to establish a military presence on the Moon to deter any hostile actions from the Soviet Union. The Lunar Defense Program shall be managed by the United States Air Force and shall include the development and deployment of weapons systems, surveillance equipment, communication systems, and other technology necessary for defense purposes.

Section 3: Funding and Resources
    The United States Air Force shall receive the necessary funding and resources to carry out the Lunar Defense Program. This includes funds previously allocated to the Apollo program, as well as additional funds as deemed necessary by the Secretary of Defense. The Secretary of Defense shall be responsible for ensuring that the Lunar Defense Program receives adequate resources to meet its objectives.

Section 4: Collaboration with NASA
    The United States Air Force shall work closely with NASA to ensure a smooth transfer of the Apollo program, and to continue to benefit from NASA's expertise in space exploration. NASA shall provide the United States Air Force with all necessary information, data, and resources to enable the successful execution of the Lunar Defense Program. The United States Air Force shall also be responsible for ensuring the safety and well-being of all NASA personnel involved in the Lunar Defense Program. A selection of NASA Apollo astronauts will be transferred over to the United States Airforce Lunar Marine corp, they will undergo additional training as well as training with weapons and Marine training, after which this selection of astronauts will be capable of providing training to new Marine recruits

Section 5: Reporting Requirements
    The United States Air Force shall provide regular reports to Congress on the progress of the Lunar Defense Program, including updates on the establishment of a military presence on the Moon. Reports shall be provided on a quarterly basis and shall include details on the allocation of resources, development of technology, and progress toward the achievement of the program's objectives.

Section 6: Sunset Provision
    This Act shall remain in effect until such time that the United States Air Force determines that the Lunar Defense Program is no longer necessary. At that point, the program shall be terminated, and any remaining funds shall be returned to the Treasury. The United States Air Force shall provide a report to Congress on the reasons for terminating the program, and any lessons learned from its implementation.

Section 7: Effective Date
    This Act shall take effect upon its passage.

Sponsored by:
    Barrie Randall

Justification:
    Russia has demonstrated a clear interest in space exploration as well as the militarization of space. It is crucial that the United States take steps to establish a military presence on the Moon to deter any potential threats from the fascistic and oppressive regime, such will prove to be the most important steps towards peace. The Apollo program provides a unique opportunity to do so, and transferring it to the United States Air Force for the purposes of creating a lunar defense program is the most effective way to achieve this objective. By leveraging the existing resources and expertise of the Apollo program, the United States can establish a strong military presence on the Moon in a timely and cost-effective manner. The United States Army has proven its capability to protect its people against any dangers from beyond its home borders. The United States Army will protect its citizens be it in space, on Earth, or even on the Moon, Against the oppressive and controlling Soviet Regime

Last edited:
    WIP: Reusable F1 engines
  • A work in progress concept for a USAF operated LV, the engine section along with two F1 engines is reused.

Still working on heating and buffing up and structure, however, the F1s can be fired more than once IOTL.

The booster will splash downrange in the ocean under parachutes and be recovered, it will return to earth via a ballistic trajectory.

(Image by me; made in KSP1)
    screenshot3-50.png

Last edited:
    WIP: Reusable S-IC
  • Now here's a follow-up to ballistic reuse.

A reusable S-IC via ballistic reuse, observe:
    screenshot3.png

screenshot10.png

Info post: Release number 1
  • Hey everyone,

Now that I'm on break for two weeks, I can focus more on writing this story.

chapter two, named "Roll with The Changes" will come out within the next couple of days. After that chapter, I'm not sure how long it'll take for the next one to come out, but it should be around 2-3 weeks.

Info post: Release number 2
  • Hey everyone.

Again with the delays, I do apologise, however I have been rather busy with personal stuff.

While I didn't have much time to write chapters, I've researched quite a bit into the concepts I've been looking at using, and so I've come again to show off some cool stuff which I've made using KSP1:

Transporting a recovered S-IC507 stage.

*I haven't completely settled on the naming scheme for these stages but it's in the works, most likely the numbering will start from 500 and move up in single digits, like so: S5xx where X is any number from 1-9*
    screenshot21-21.png

Firing a recovered stage.
    screenshot20-33.png

Finally, the next chapter will be quite major, and quite packed, so trust me the wait is worth it.

Chapter 2 will cover Apollo 14 and it'll be a major story turning point.

Last edited:
    Chapter 2: Roll With the Changes
  • Hey everyone, so I return with anothe chapter, still keeping it short, as college for me comes to an end I still have quite a few bits of work to do, and I've been quite busy with my actual job in preparations for summer and Uni for next year. So for now chapters will be relatively short but packed with enough to keep you guys in the game.

This chapter isn't the full thing, I've decided to cut it short because I don't have enough time to sit down and write everything I wanted to, but rest assured the next chapter will be longer with more things happening. Thank you and enjoy the read, as always do let me know if there are any mess ups or anything of that nature.

Chapter II:
    Roll With the Changes

The sun had just begun to rise over Cape Canaveral, casting a golden hue across the vast expanse of the launchpad. The early morning of July and the air was still and crisp, with only the distant hum of activity breaking the tranquil silence. People gathered around the countdown clock, and at the stands to watch the return to the Moon after a long delay following the Apollo 13 incident. Despite their past hardships, NASA persevered, now being assisted by the USAF, with their funds, NASA will make a swift turn for the Moon, now more than ever…

The time is now. Step by step the Air force is assuming control of the Apollo program. Apollo 14 is officially the next manned moon mission in line for NASA. After the horrific failure and subsequently the terrific success of Apollo 13, 14 was sure to be an absolute spectacle. Despite the fact that everything seemed quite normal and routine, US intelligence knew something the mission crew were not aware of, and their subsequent discovery would change the course of the space race drastically. Nik Andreson, a new hire for NASA, comes from the Airforce, but he’s different to all the NASA guys, he has received specific training and a form of “fast tracking” into the astronaut corps. Technically, he will be the first “Lunar Marine'', a key group which will take the frontier in defense in space, this will be his first major spaceflight. Alan Shepard, the first American man in space, will also make his first steps on the Lunar Surface and Stuart Roosa, the Command Module pilot will await for them in orbit, doing orbital reconnaissance of the Soviet “Luna '' sites as well. Godspeed gentlemen.

Apollo 14 is a mission like no other, carrying a member of the United States Air Force to the Moon.. Apollo 14 is also the first mission to carry a so called "Lunar Buggy" the LRV, a two personnel rover to extend the range of EVAs on the Moon, once on the surface, the mission continued similarly to all the other Apollo missions which preceded 14, this time with the addition of the LRV, which involved a lengthy process of unfolding and a sort of assembly of all the additional parts, antennas, racks and pallets. The crew has of course received adequate training for assembly, yet doing it on the moon doesn't make it any less mundane.

The countdown clock had finally reached zero, and with a deafening roar, the five enormous F-1 engines at the base of the Saturn V rocket ignited, sending Apollo 14 hurtling towards the moon. The standing ovation was incredible, back on the ground the people in the stands cheered Apollo 14 on, and despite the fact that this wasn’t the first mission in the Apollo program, the excitement and the energy was comparable to that of the great Apollo 11

“Tower cleared!” The announcement is heard as the cheering continues…

By this time, everything back on Earth has cleared up, people have mostly dispersed and the press have finalised their main activities for the day. However, back up in space, not everything was over just yet, the crew were coming up on TLI, soon enough they would be on their way to the Moon, and for the rookies on the mission this was quite an exciting moment, neither Nik nor Stuart have flown to space before.

It was time for TLI, over the next 3 days the crew would cruise over towards the Moon, covering a couple news broadcasts and in general just relaxing, since, as of yet, not much was needed to be done...

Not much exciting happened during the transit to the Moon and the deorbit burn for their landing site, but the events that would transpire on the Moon would prove to be absolutely groundbreaking...

Al- "Okay, I see a good patch over here, flat area, relatively"

Nik- "Good: 500 feet"

CC- "GO for landing"

Al- "Roger go for landing"

Nik- "250; you're at 9% fuel"

Al- "right I see dust now"

Nik- "80 feet, 60, 50, 40, 30, 25 feet now, 7% fuel"

Al- "gotcha, bringing it down now"

Nik- "okay 20 feet now, 15 feet, 10, 8"

Nik - "Contact light, alright shutdown"

Nik- "ah how bout that"

"Great, Houston, kitty hawk is parked here at Fra Mauro, she's upright!"

CC- "Roger kitty hawk"

Al- "hey you guys we're Fra Mauro base from now on, write it down or something" Nik and Al share a laugh together.

"Okay Al I'm looking out the window here, there's this hill I see-"

"Yes that's a hill alright" Al chuckles.

"No I mean I'm trying to figuring out exactly where we are and if there are some targets for 'sightseeing'" he gestures the quotation marks with his fingers, Al rolls his eyes

As time passes on, the final checks are completed. The crew are finally ready to get some Moon dust on their boots.

"Okay Nik I'm just stepping out now, I can see a rock over by the leg, just watch out when you climb out"

"Roger"

"Oh fuck-" Al exclaims out, Nik takes a rushed peek out of the LM door

Nik burst out laughing at what he saw, Al just took a tumble off the LM ladder, didn't look like anything was damaged, but Nik rushed down to check on him.

While still laughing he says "shit are you alright down there?"

"Stop laughing at me be serious for a second will you? Come down here take a look at my suit, check for damage of any kind" Al ordered at Nik, meanwhile Nik still couldn't stop giggling at Al's misfortune.

"Geez alright coming down now"

"Houston, Al had a bit of an accident, during his descend down the later he took a bit of a fall, I've inspected his suit, no damage anywhere, minor scratches on the gloves, tiny bit of fabric tear, nothing major"

"Copy that Nik, tell Al to clean his visor next time, keep a lookout on him during the next EVA's, the minor damage could evolve into major damage, have you checked the life support system?"

"Uh negative, I'll take a peek now"

Unpacking the LRV was the next activity on the list, quite an exciting event to see a car being driven around on the Moon, even though it was less of a car but more of a buggy. Nonetheless, the addition of the LRV would prove instrumental to traversing the deserted landscape, and making the job easier for humans, less work for their little legs which are not designed for long distance travel in such conditions...

By the second day on the Moon mostly everything was done, most expriments set up and quite a magazine of photos collected, still a coupe small bits and pieces left to do here and there, nothing major.

As Nik was scouting around the area colleting a few more rock samples from marked out locations, he spots something shining in the distance, he stores his pick and looks to the distance with a glare of confusion upon his face.

"Alan, will you turn around for a second? I think I see something in the distance and it doesn't look like it should be there." Nik calls over the radio, as he stares off into the direction of the mysterious shiny object.

"Alright looking. Seems like it's reflective, metal perhaps? That's strange, I don't believe we've landed anything close to here"

"Hey Houston, we are just spotting something in the distance here, I don't exactly know what it is, it seems to be made of metal, white or maybe light grey? Somewhat blends in with the surface but is reflective. Do we have any ideas" Alan reports.

A long pause follows, not just because of the signal delay but because mission control is stunned, left with no words and not a single clue in anyone's head, the entire room is quiet.

"Uhhh okay negative Alan, we do not have anything in mind at this moment, maybe something Stuart can see from orbit?"

No, no one could confirm what this was, not from orbit and not from the ground. Was it worth it to take a look in person? It's a long way out, the EVA time allows it, what is there to gain if anything, to satisfy the curiosity, the craving to know.

"Okay, I think the best course of action is to try to drive that way, there has been no movement over there of any kind, we would have seen any activity" Alan says while looking around.

"If we do this, we gotta figure out how long the drive to there will be, I estimate 7-8 kilometres, no one has made a trip this far from base yet, what do you think?" Nik sits there looking with a completely blank stare at Alan.

"Well say something I need opinions!" Alan snaps, almost like he's losing his patience under a completely stress-free situation.

"I say let's do it, why not, we want to identify this object anyways, I have my suspicions though, I don't want to be correct here"

The trip is long but curiosity reaches the best of the crew, the decision is made, to take a drive down to that spot, the terrain was favorable, nothing really got in the way of making this trip, with the approval of mission control they made their way down to investigate. Nothing too crazy was on the minds of anyone at that moment, maybe it was a piece of debris from either the Americans or the Russians, it was no secret that Russia launched their own Moon missions, albeit unmanned and robotic, still it was worth investigating as this site was not mapped or recorded yet.

However, the discovery to follow would soon prove to be world-changing…

It couldn't be, how would they be able to pull this off? "God damnit!" Alan screams into his suit, with his radio off. "God fucking damn it!"

"Those Russki fuckers, how could they have done this, it just can't be" He now speaks directly to Nik.

"And no one knew, what would the president think of this situation? We are the ones to relay this information, god I hope we don't have to speak to anyone apart from mission control until we get back" Alan thinks to himself.

The metal shines brightly, a set of 4 landing legs and an empty cradle, a lander stage of some sort, a Russian flag and footprints off to the side. A pile of rocks with a photo lay next to a rock, presumably to protect it from dust from the ascent engines, looks like one of theirs died during this program. A way to show respect to one of their fallen brothers, this is true comradeship, yet Alan cannot face away from the anger.

"I spit on these damn Soviets, commie pigs how did they do this in secret"

"Al, Houston, word from down here is, please don't touch a thing"

"Okay, we are staying clear, not touching a thing" He stands up and proceeds to hop his way towards the discarded landing stage, he puts his fingers on the charred area of the metal and drags them down, looking at his fingertips.

"I touched something"

His sense of humor is still present, and the anger was fading away, as the severity of the situation began to set in, everyone back at mission control was scratching their head, no one could really say how the Russians got there, and if they got there first why weren't they boasting about this landing to everyone? Was it the death of a crew member? Did someone die on the Moon? Well…

"Hey Nik could you look around, see if you can find anything else?"

"Yeah alright I'll have a peak around"

"Houston, this is Al, now I think we understand the situation a bit more than before, we don't know if this is their first and only landing, however, by the looks of it, something had to go terribly wrong here for them to abandon so fast."

"Al sorry to interrupt but holy shit you have to just look at this" Nik sounds shaken, his voice trembles over the radio

"Huh? You're better off telling me I'm a distance away from you"

"Al that's a dead body, this is a man laying down with his helmet wide cracked open, he's here in the dust, how long has he been here?"

"Oh fuck guys he's right. Alright Houston this is 14 we have a dead body on the Lunar surface"

"I'm sorry Al a dead body?"

"Yes that's a dead man here on the floor, god he looks terrible Jesus H. Christ"

"Okay copy that Al" Bruce McCandless was the one talking to Al and Nik on their EVA, he looked over his shoulder at everyone else in the room, everyone was looking back at him, not a single idea in the room on what to do.

"Houston this is Al, uh now what do we do with this one"

"Roger Al, uhm we don't really know, the president will contact the Russian President soon is my best guess"

Last edited: