SATO and the right POD

At 3 o'clock in the morning, a thought crossed my head: what would the POD be for the alliance between Apartheid South Africa, Juntas in the Guays, Argentina and Brazil to actually last. Well these severely anti-communist nations, need a credible threat that will serve as a boogy man.

My first thought was to some sort of Powerful Revolutionary Angola. If some how the bloody civil war and struggle for independence was either less bloody, and quickly replaced with rapid advancement. However this seemed pretty much undoable considering the large percentage of Portuguese living in Angola.

My next thought was that an even more dramatic POD would be Patrice Lumumba to survive, and Soviet money and weapons to flood into the Congo. This might flip Angola earlier and create a Communist powerhouse. Which South Africa, Rhodesia, and anti-communists in Latin America would fight against.

This POD would have major effects through out the world. But it would make me think of interesting outcomes like:

The ATL Press asking the question "Why can't revolutionary Mandela be more like the statesman Mugabe?"
or the question what about the Cobalt of the Congo, how would America react to Cobalt mainly being owned by communists. Would this lead to US intervention as well? Would the US support South Africa, or would they simply wash their hands of the region?