Russian colonization without Peter the Great

so if there never had been a Peter the Great, maybe a ruler who still attempts some modernization / Westernization, but not as much or as successful as Peter the Great, would Russia still eventually have tried colonization? Would they have attempted to colonize Alaska, or send missions to Hawaii?

My first impression is that they wouldn't, seeing as how Bering's first expedition was financed by Peter I.... so without him would the Ruskies not colonize?

Peter the Great
1672-1725 His victory over Sweden established Russia as a major European power.
So Sweden hold the Baltics. China Holds the Maritimes, Japan holds Sakhalin. Poland survives.
Russia continues to slumber. As do the Stan's.

So Sweden hold the Baltics. China Holds the Maritimes, Japan holds Sakhalin. Poland survives.
Russia continues to slumber. As do the Stan's.

they still could have won without Peter, but for this sake let's say Russia didn't. so would a slumbering Russia not bother at all with colonization?

Germany and China has a border dispute.
umm... am I missing something? :confused: this post confuses me.

they still could have won without Peter, but for this sake let's say Russia didn't. so would a slumbering Russia not bother at all with colonization?

umm... am I missing something? :confused: this post confuses me.

Well, people would immigrate east, maybe not as fast as OTL but it was development that was going on before Peter.

Well, people would immigrate east, maybe not as fast as OTL but it was development that was going on before Peter.

before Peter I, Russia was already on the Pacific coast. I'm specifically talking about colonization of the Americas, not Siberia.

before Peter I, Russia was already on the Pacific coast. I'm specifically talking about colonization of the Americas, not Siberia.

Really? Oh, ok. I suppose that Russia isn't necessarily all that interested in Alaska, after all they don't need it for anything. So Alaska could end up as part of Canada in TTL.

Either the British or Spanish end up taking chunks of Alaska...probably the British, as they could afford it more and were in better position.