Return of Horrible Educational Maps

I think it was just some coincidence. But depicting colonial empires seems to be a difficult task, especially when the map maker wants to cover several centuries at once.

Next map (also from reddit) very related:
<redacted in the interests of sanity>
The weird thing is that in all their raging maximalism, they don't include Portugal and Brazil in their Spanish empire, even though the Iberian Union was a thing for 60 years.
I'd also love to know exactly when they thought the Spanish Empire included East Anglia, Greece, Nigeria, Namibia, Yangon and the North Island of New Zealand.

The weird thing is that in all their raging maximalism, they don't include Portugal and Brazil in their Spanish empire, even though the Iberian Union was a thing for 60 years.
I'd also love to know exactly when they thought the Spanish Empire included East Anglia, Greece, Nigeria, Namibia, Yangon and the North Island of New Zealand.

You never now with what argumentations someone might explain why their empire was the greatest.

Oh wait, at least for one I actually do know (pic as usual from reddit)

badnationalist.jpg

Okay, technically nothing wrong with this one, it is just a rather odd metric to compare empires with.

You never now with what argumentations someone might explain why their empire was the greatest.

Oh wait, at least for one I actually do know (pic as usual from reddit)

View attachment 886483

Okay, technically nothing wrong with this one, it is just a rather odd metric to compare empires with.
I recognize almost everything of decent size in these mays, though I may disagree with quite a bit of it. (Why aren't Angola and Mozambique in the Portuguese empire picture?) The one that I'm really having problems with is British Africa (yes, that's what's below Australia and above Canada, South Africa is on the left). Is that the bounds of Sikes-Picot attached to that?
Interesting to see what lands show much in *multiple* empires here. Does the Mongol overlap with the Roman, British and Ottoman somewhere in Central Iraq?

If you want to get picky, the Portuguese Empire is missing Angola & Mozambique (plus East Timor and a few minor islands). Doesn't change the measurement but looks odd given the way they've treated all the others.

I recognize almost everything of decent size in these mays, though I may disagree with quite a bit of it. (Why aren't Angola and Mozambique in the Portuguese empire picture?) The one that I'm really having problems with is British Africa (yes, that's what's below Australia and above Canada, South Africa is on the left). Is that the bounds of Sikes-Picot attached to that?
Interesting to see what lands show much in *multiple* empires here. Does the Mongol overlap with the Roman, British and Ottoman somewhere in Central Iraq?

If you want to get picky, the Portuguese Empire is missing Angola & Mozambique (plus East Timor and a few minor islands). Doesn't change the measurement but looks odd given the way they've treated all the others.
It seems the creator tried to show the empires during their largest extension (for example Spain itself does obviously lack Spanish Sahara and Morocco) but indeed at least the coastal strips of Angola and Mozambique should have been shown for Portugal.
(and it is questionable if the Soviet Union post WWII is really bigger than Czarist Russia; Finland and Congress Poland should more than compensate for eastern Galicia and Kaliningrad)

Anyways, on to the next map. Thankfully there was no larger resolution of it:

badtiny.jpg

Yup. it's including Palestine (Trans)Jordan and Iraq. Likewise the French Empire includes Lebanon-Syria.
The Ottomans aren't here, we've got the Islamic (Rashidun) Caliphate instead. If Roman Mesopotamia is meant to extend to the Gulf, then I think we have a quad-overlap between Basrah and Baghdad. I think the only other possible triple is if the Caliphate juust extends into future-Soviet territory southeast of the Caspian.
The European empires are shown at their maximum extent (unlike the USA, which is missing the Philippines & Puerto Rico), which was mostly after they stopped taking territory from each other, so no British/French/Spanish/American Florida.
Whoever did this map came up with a decent choice of candidates for "longest contiguous". My only nitpick is that Tang China extended further west than Qing.

Doesn't it quite clearly overlap with to-be-Soviet territory in Central Asia (Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, maybe Kyrgyzstan)?
You're probably right. I was thinking "Rashidan caliphate" and remembering that it didn't extend North of Persia, but it looks like they're using the Wikipedia map for the Umayyads and they had a chunk of what is now Turkmenistan/Uzbekistan/Tajikstan, so definitely a triple there.

Remember, you can increase the uselessness of a map by making it monochrome
On a semi-serious note, that map is a shining example of how you can make a shaded map useless by picking shadings that don't follow any logical order. (Why do I think someone just took a B/W copy of a coloured original?) Anyone want to look at the first map and tell me which regions are in the "0.2-0.5" range and which in "16-41"? Or take a quick look at either map and tell me where the regions of highest incidence are?

Ob geographic snark: Baffin Peninsula (and Novaya Zemlya, Sumatjava and Japanese peninsulas as well), British Isle, Black and Caspian Seas are gone but we've got some fun new lakes to replace them, jet-plane New Guinea.

There’s nowhere else to put something like this (yet), so I’ll put it here. This is perhaps the first instance I’ve seen of this technology that is visually coherent and therefore worthy of mentioning. Part of me is surprised we haven’t seen algorithmic maps done yet. The concept of “coastlines” is an unchanging thing. An algorithm only needs to know to change the borders within the landmasses. Maybe “always leave this part alone and only ever change other things” is hard for it to understand. I don’t know. Anyway, here’s an algorithmically generated map of Europe where the person asked for "1914 borders.”

v1bih8kstlhc1.jpeg

It’s terribly wrong, obviously. But it’s interesting. I expect within the next year or two we’ll have a thread here specifically for “AI” maps. Moreover, pretty soon we’ll be able to generate maps by merely telling the algorithm what you want the point of divergence to be and how many years later the map should show based on that POD.

There’s nowhere else to put something like this (yet), so I’ll put it here. This is perhaps the first instance I’ve seen of this technology that is visually coherent and therefore worthy of mentioning. Part of me is surprised we haven’t seen algorithmic maps done yet. The concept of “coastlines” is an unchanging thing. An algorithm only needs to know to change the borders within the landmasses. Maybe “always leave this part alone and only ever change other things” is hard for it to understand. I don’t know. Anyway, here’s an algorithmically generated map of Europe where the person asked for "1914 borders.”

v1bih8kstlhc1.jpeg

It’s terribly wrong, obviously. But it’s interesting. I expect within the next year or two we’ll have a thread here specifically for “AI” maps. Moreover, pretty soon we’ll be able to generate maps by merely telling the algorithm what you want the point of divergence to be and how many years later the map should show based on that POD.
Intriguing and also nightmare inducing thing to ponder....

Intriguing and also nightmare inducing thing to ponder....
Another fascinating aspect is that the algorithm generated visual “errors” that can reliably be categorized as normal map elements. Look at the border between Itainy and Rdwaaa. That color and thickness screams “demilitarized zone” to me. Occupation colors/borders are also distinguishable. Alt-Finland is invading E Ioah I. Tusia is obviously having its western lands occupied by German Y and its eastern and southern lands by… well, pick an orange state—either alt-Britain and Rsnan are likely. Speaking of alt-Britain, it’s occupying northern Butmin and perhaps a few other coastal regions. There seems to be an insurgent group in northern Bussy that has spilled over into alt-Austria.

Things like that can really be good for inspiration in real/proper maps.

I was motivated to stick "Political map of Europe, showing national borders, textbook style" into Bing image creator. (Because I am nice to computers, I didn't ask for "1914 borders"). This was about the best it came up with:
_82daa6e2-4c3d-490b-85b8-473a39e8d359.jpg

For an AI, it's pretty good. But there were some interesting errors that came up more often in my trials than I'd expect (@BrobDingnag 's map has some of them too):
- Northern Spain (Basque country?) being shaded differently than the rest of Spain.
- No hard border between Germany and Denmark
- The Tyrol, or at least Voralberg, leaving Austria and wandering off towards Switzerland.
- Croatia getting split in half.
- Independent Vojvodina
- Ukraine being messed up (yes, ongoing war, but the AI loves to split it into East and West)
- Weird internal divisions in Russia
I wonder what the AI's training data set was like.

I was motivated to stick "Political map of Europe, showing national borders, textbook style" into Bing image creator. (Because I am nice to computers, I didn't ask for "1914 borders"). This was about the best it came up with:
View attachment 887640
For an AI, it's pretty good. But there were some interesting errors that came up more often in my trials than I'd expect (@BrobDingnag 's map has some of them too):
- Northern Spain (Basque country?) being shaded differently than the rest of Spain.
- No hard border between Germany and Denmark
- The Tyrol, or at least Voralberg, leaving Austria and wandering off towards Switzerland.
- Croatia getting split in half.
- Independent Vojvodina
- Ukraine being messed up (yes, ongoing war, but the AI loves to split it into East and West)
- Weird internal divisions in Russia
I wonder what the AI's training data set was like.

North Finland Best Finland.

Finland? There is no Finland. You have been mistaken, as the next webfind proves:

View attachment 887701
In general, I don't think a maps showing irredentist claims necessarily count as Horrible maps, but I don't think I've ever seen one with Sakalin being Japanese, Alaska being Russian *and* Newfoundland being British (but giving Labrador in its entirety to Quebec). Also, though Russia wanted Finland, not to cause it to stop existing. (Similarly for Libya's claims to Sicily)

In general, I don't think a maps showing irredentist claims necessarily count as Horrible maps, but I don't think I've ever seen one with Sakalin being Japanese, Alaska being Russian *and* Newfoundland being British (but giving Labrador in its entirety to Quebec). Also, though Russia wanted Finland, not to cause it to stop existing. (Similarly for Libya's claims to Sicily)
Maybe they just don't grow any tobacco in Alaska or Newfoundland? (My first thought on seeing that map was "They grow tobacco in Canada?!" - but apparently they do). But that would imply tobacco farms on Sakhalin and while I've found references to "production of tobacco products" ... yeah.