Request Maps/Flags Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
not problem. The thread is called "maps/flags" but elements that goes on them are normally fair game in my personal opinion.

Now, when I asked about the colour, unless you want it to be a transparent outline, it has to be something such as gold, red, white, black, etc....

Oh in that case, gold just like like in the picture I showed you of the WPK emblem. Gold like that.
If the both of you don't mind, I took the liberty of turning the logo into an .ovr for Flag Maker. Uploaded it on Drive here, under the name Communist_Magic. Enjoy.

The colors of the Four Elements is a safe choice. Ensure that the colors match their orientation once they're separated by a white saltire, then add a white circle on the center to act as a backdrop for the astrolabe.

The link isn't working, I can download it but it doesn't show anything.

Is there/can anybody make a simplified flag for the Heavenly Kingdom of Great Peace?
taiping-heavenly-kingdom-0ed31c1d-8bb9-4a4b-b0db-5b04682638e-resize-750.jpg

Oh in that case, gold just like like in the picture I showed you of the WPK emblem. Gold like that.

The link isn't working, I can download it but it doesn't show anything.

I assume you already have the .ovr. In that case, you're supposed to open it in Flag Maker -- to do this, transfer the file to the Custom folder in the directory of the program. It'll show up as an Overlay if you got it right.

I assume you already have the .ovr. In that case, you're supposed to open it in Flag Maker -- to do this, transfer the file to the Custom folder in the directory of the program. It'll show up as an Overlay if you got it right.
I'm still stumped I don't think I did it right. :/ I have flagmaker open and I have the link downloaded.

I'm still stumped I don't think I did it right. :/ I have flagmaker open and I have the link downloaded.

You do have the file "Communist_Magic.ovr" downloaded from the link, yes? If you do, drag-and-drop the file to the Custom folder in the main directory of your Flag Maker program. Make sure to exit current instances of Flag Maker so the overlay can be registered in the next startup.

You do have the file "Communist_Magic.ovr" downloaded from the link, yes? If you do, drag-and-drop the file to the Custom folder in the main directory of your Flag Maker program. Make sure to exit current instances of Flag Maker so the overlay can be registered in the next startup.
I'm so stupid right now. I didn't know what I was going on when you sent me it so I just downloaded and saw that nothing happened so I modified the download to see if it could be shown via windows photo viewer. :(

So yes I have the file but I downloaded it incorrectly. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to make this difficult on you or anything.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for improving upon this very rough concept - in particular I'm not quite sure WHICH colours to use for the Four Quarters and the Globe (to make it easier for onlookers to read the flag).

red-white-blue are the most common colour combination OTL and since you want 4 colours, I would add to this yellow so that contrast is good.

Maybe instead of a central panel using extra colours (which might make it a bit garish), you could repeat the same four colour in a diamond in a contrasting order thus emphasising the fact that the four components are distinct but united.

4partscountry.png

M. Paquin, I really like that design - in fact the more I look at it, the more one suspects I LOVE it! - as it is not only distinctive but memorable to boot.

It does occur to me that this excellent design might need an extra element to help sell it as a truly "Ancient" design - the Power for which it is intended basically serves as the Roman/Byzantine or Achaemenid/Sassanid Empire of the setting (having been formed during the local equivalent to the Classical period, lasted over a millennium and fallen to pieces at the start of the local Middle Ages); for the record my original concept was not intended to include a central panel, but rather a central icon (more properly a "Charge") that would symbolise the authority of the Imperial Dynasty (as well as make the design feel more dynastic than national).

Possibly a stylised throne - as a crown seems too Kingly and a laurel wreath is too specifically "Roman" - or perhaps a knot (to symbolise the Four Quarters being "bound together"); as you may have noticed, I tend to come up with a number of options but very few final designs and there's a reason for that!:happyblush

Btw I do love how polite you are in asking!

Well given how generous the expert vexillologists of this thread have been and continue to be, the very least one could offer in return is Gratitude and the occasional courtesy.;)

In general one prefers to be as courteous as possible, as "Manners maketh the Man" (to quote one authority of my acquaintance) and I hope to be one of the Good ones.

Possibly a stylised throne - as a crown seems too Kingly and a laurel wreath is too specifically "Roman" - or perhaps a knot (to symbolise the Four Quarters being "bound together"); as you may have noticed, I tend to come up with a number of options but very few final designs and there's a reason for that!:happyblush
How about the De Lacy Knot in gold?:
240px-Lacy_or_De_Lacy_knot.svg.png

It will then have additional solar connotations, which is a good divinely royal/imperial symbol.
Of course the quarters can't then include gold/yellow, and possibly silver/white. Perhaps sky-blue, green, blue, red?
And the basic banner is square?

I really like that knot design - Thank You very much for suggesting it! - and as for the four quarters, your suggestions are good ones though I believe that having two blue quarters and a green one might make the standard a little TOO blue; one alternative colour scheme that occurs to me would be to borrow from Chinese symbolism (Black Tortoise, Blue Dragon, White Tiger, Vermillion Bird) and make the quarters Black, Blue, Red, White.

Now you make an excellent point that we should avoid "metallic" colours in the quarters, so perhaps we could substitute green for white? (with the knot design being gold or silver). I'm not sure how that would look though and would appreciate the advice of better designers than I!

An alternative to this would be to use M. Paquin's design with a small alteration - keep the "core diamond" motif, but make that "diamond" almost entirely a single colour; assuming that colour were gold, then that colour would be applied to every quarter of the "diamond" except the part that actually protrudes into the gold quarter of the flag (which would be a different colour - probably red or blue for maximum contrast, subtly suggesting a compass rose or an item of jewellery).

We'd probably have to fiddle with the colours to get things Absolutely right - Gold would probably have to be rotated from "West" to "North" in this scheme - but I really like the design and would love to work it into the "Final" version of the flag (a greedy desire to have my cake AND eat it tends to complicate my imaginings, one must admit).

Thank You again for all your suggestions and for tolerating my ramblings! (You might be relieved to know that I don't have any other "Awkward concepts" to share at present; the only other idea I'm working on - for a different fictional realm, it must be noted - is as simple as they come*).

*For the record it's a tree in leaf on a white field, with various shields symbolising the major provinces of the Realm hung in the branches - a little like a cross between the Romanov arms and the banner of Gondor (though the tree is in natural colours, rather than all in a single hue); I actually got the idea from EL CID starring Charlton Heston (a somewhat similar design was part of the background to at least two scenes).

Has anyone got any ideas for a set EU Armed Forces flags

Ensigns for the Navy

Designs for the Airforce, eg roundels, stars and fin flashes etc

Regards

Has anyone got any ideas for a set EU Armed Forces flags

Ensigns for the Navy

Designs for the Airforce, eg roundels, stars and fin flashes etc

Regards

how about these:

Naval Ensign
6 EU countries OTL use a swallowtail design for their naval ensign so the EU Navy one could simply be done by putting the circle of stars a bit more toward the hoist and cutting a wedge at the fly.

eu-navy.png

Air Force Roundel
Self Explanatory

eu-roundel.png

Air Force Ensign
There isn't really a common pattern used by multiple EU members so maybe simply surrounding the roundel with wings could be used

eu-airforce.png

how about these:

Naval Ensign
6 EU countries OTL use a swallowtail design for their naval ensign so the EU Navy one could simply be done by putting the circle of stars a bit more toward the hoist and cutting a wedge at the fly.

View attachment 449435

Air Force Roundel
Self Explanatory

View attachment 449437

Air Force Ensign
There isn't really a common pattern used by multiple EU members so maybe simply surrounding the roundel with wings could be used

View attachment 449436

Cheers

That was bloomin' quick . . . lols

Can someone overlay present-day borders over Zauberfloete21's 1m, 7m and 30m sea level maps?

https://www.deviantart.com/zauberfloete21/gallery/48703867/Base-Maps

I have 7m and 30m maps but they're in different sytles and the borders on them are a few years outdated, and I can't find any map with the 1m sea level.

Also, does someone have a Worlda basemap with notable strategic targets (cities, military bases, missile silos etc) included?

Last edited:

Starforce

Banned
I have a request for a Europe / North Africa map.

Okay so for that map, the following happened. It is an alternate history Map, kinda.

- Russia united with Belarus, and became the Union State, however they have done various democratic reforms and have withdrawn from Ukraine and issued an apology to them and stopped funding separatists in Ukraine, though they are neutral they have undergone westernization. Ukraine has a new nationalist government, that is apart of NATO.

- Northern Ireland has reunited with Ireland, which is Neutral. France and Britain united into the Anglo-French Union, and is also a part of NATO.

- Catalonia and the Basque regions of Spain are independent and are NATO members.

- Belgium doesn't exist anymore and is split by France and the Dutch.

- Germany has annexed Austria, and has pre-1939 borders. - Poland has Pre-1939 borders aswell.

- Baltic states are as they are in our timeline.

- Yugoslavia has returned as a democratic federation that treats its members equally.

- Greece has become an Empire and has annexed eastern regions of Turkey and Pontus, both Turkey and Greece are members of NATO.

- Isreal and Palestine have united into a democratic secular state.

- Caucus nations are united into a federation.

- Arabia is united under a secular state, and is apart of an alliance with a democratic Persia aswell as other african nations, aswell as Afghanistan who have all westernized.

- Isreal is part of NATO, so is Yugoslavia, and our timeline nations.

- Rest of North African nations are united into North Africa, which is also part of NATO, which has merged with a reformed EU.

- Scandinavian nations are full members of NATO, with Sweden owning Finland, as a Swedish Empire.

Status
Not open for further replies.