Reds fanfic

The people on the Island of Cuba are immaterial, the most important resource Cuba has to the ECF is its geographical proximity to continental North America. In the high stakes game of grand strategy, the entire population of the island is expendable as long as its ability to be used as a port for aircraft, missiles, and warships and a staging ground for amphibious assault remains. Cuba's population of some millions of people is a tiny drop in the bucket and people can be replaced; geographically strategic footholds like the island of Cuba itself though cannot be replaced if lost. By this cold calculus, it is better to kill everyone on the island and turn it into a purely military inhabited wasteland than allow it to be lost to the AFS.

Now, to be fair; countries have these sorts of horrific contingency plans crawling out the woodworks, dreamed up by think tanks who do nothing but think on all sorts of scenarios no matter how far fetched and conceive of possible plans of action and solutions to them. Whether they would actually carry out these plans though, is the hard part.

I bet this strategy would be great fodder for alternate history stories.

AH Thread: Should We End the Cuban Embargo?

AVeryTrueDemocrat said:
UpNorth- That's the cost of having to deal with the other superpower. We may not like having to deal with that reality, but we have to engage with the FBU.

Skaelingking said:
Eh, you Americans are stubborn. You'll probably keep up this feud for generations.

Essentially. There's a quiet destalinization; the Party muzzles hagiogrpahy in art and literature. Things that were named in honor of Stalin are quietly renamed, such as Stalingrad being renamed something that would translate as "Hero City" (unsure of the exact Russian, though I suspect Geroygrad would be passable). It will be a generation or so before his legacy becomes more publicly criticized.
Geroyyeev, Or Geroysk sound better .... but I need to think more.

Special Thanks to @The_Red_Star_Rising for the idea for this. There isn't much here, so this will be short

"Generalissimo Douglas MacArthur is Still Dead" is a popular comedic phrase originating from David Frost in That Was The Week That Was in 1964, and later used as a recurring phrase in Frost's follow-up The Frost Programme, and used in an early episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus.

The Franco-British media extensively covered Cuban leader Douglas MacArthur's failing health during late 1963 and early 1964. Most of the time, the coverage would emphasize that MacArthur was still alive. The BBC had kept updates of MacArthur's health in its regular broadcasts, and continually covered it, especially during slow news days. Some newspapers even had a column showing MacArthur's status at that point. When MacArthur finally died on April 9th, 1964, the BBC and other news outlets covered not only the funeral, but ran retrospectives on him, showed various reactions to his death, and followed possible successors.

During the April 11th broadcast of TW3, David Frost reported the following:

FROST: Cuban President-For-Life Generalissimo Douglas MacArthur died Thursday at age 84. Having ruled as dictator of the American government-in-exile on the small island nation since evacuating the American mainland in 1933, MacArthur's death has heralded reactions across the world. While some hold him as a tyrant and oppressor, other eulogize him. Former Prime Minister Winston Churchill says
"General MacArthur was a defender of freedom and democracy, and a friend of the British Empire. He was a beacon of hope in a region long lost to communism. "

Current Prime Minister Reggie Maudling says

"MacArthur was defined by his duty as a soldier, which transformed Cuba into a prosperous nation. His firm guiding hand will continue to inspire generations to come, and in this time of need, his presence will be missed."

[SHOWS IMAGES OF POLICE BEATING CUBAN PROTESTERS, THE 1934 REBELLIONS BEING REPRESSED, MACARTHUR SHAKING HANDS WITH BENITO MUSSOLINI AND HENRY FORD, THE SANTA CLARA MASSACRE OF 1963[1], CUBAN PRISONERS IN HARD LABOUR]

The next week, Frost ended a broadcasted like this:

FROST: And live from Havana, Generalissimo Douglas MacArthur is still dead. Doctors say his health can't get any worse than this.

The gag became an occasional one for a few weeks before the show was taken off the air due to its content. On its successor program, The Frost Report, it became a recurring joke, with some variations at the end to keep it fresh, like "... but his health is improving apparently", or "... Nobody is certain how long he will stay dead, but doctors say it might be a very long" or "It has been several weeks, but Douglas MacArthur continues the struggle to remain dead."

John Cleese, an alumni of the The Frost Report, later uttered the phrase as an homage during a fake news segment in the 5th episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus in 1969. While used only once on the program, the phrase would be popularized by the show, particularly reruns in the UASR.

Frost said that reception was mixed in Cuba when he visited to interview former President Robert Kennedy in 1975, with some hating him for joking of MacArthur's death, others enjoying it. During the ending of the brief revival of TW3 in 1987, Frost once again added the phrase to the very end of the broadcast. The Daily Worker used the phrase for the title "Douglas MacArthur is Still Dead... Or is he" for an article on the controversy of statues of and streets named for MacArthur in Cuba.

[1] From @Bookmark1995 's update

I want to explore the ITTL American immigrant experience. So here is the first part of what I hope is an interesting story.

Litanalysis.uasr

The Leather Jacket

The Leather Jacket is a 1967 young adult historical novel by Antonin Slansky. Set between 1938 and 1941, it tells the story of a Czechoslovak-Jewish family of bourgeois background, and their immigration and assimilation into American society, exploring themes like poverty, isolation, racism, and culture clash.

(part 1) Synopsis

At the beginning of the novel, in September 27, 1938, Arno Sternburg, a young Jewish child living in Prague, is celebrating his 11th birthday with his parents, Milica and Pavel-a wealthy doctor- and his older sister Jolana, who are the only ones present. Despite there being only 5 people, they have bought enough cake for 20. For his birthday, Arno has received a fancy leather jacket from the doting Milica. He goes to school the next day, only to be heckled by his less well off classmates for his jacket, and avoids gym class (which he normally does), wanting to keep his present on him at all times.

A few days later, the Munich Agreement is signed, allowing the forces of the Third Reich to occupy parts of the Sudetenland. Milica and Jolana beg Pavel to try and immigrate to the United Kingdom, believing the Third Reich will eventually reach Prague, but Pavel refuses out of pride. Arno, an introvert, ignores politics altogether, choosing to indulge in his books.

In March 1939, the Nazis occupy Prague, and begin pushing Czechoslovak Jews to immigrate to Communist countries with discriminatory laws, and propaganda campaigns [1]. One fascist newspaper declares "The Fuhrer Plots to Choke the American Mongrels By Dumping the Racial Trash On Their Shores".

Arno is now bullied by his classmates for being a Jew, and despite his quiet nature, is expelled from school for his "Bolshevik-Jew ties" in May, before the end of the school year. Jolana and her mother are attacked and robbed by a gang of Czech Hitler Youth members.

By June, even Pavel, despite his medical skills, is fired from his job for his alleged, "Judeo-Bolshevik ties."

Pavel now applies for residency to the United Kingdom, but finds his admissions keep being "mysteriously misplaced by backlog", despite their being few Jewish applicants to the UK. In despair, he and thousands of others apply for asylum to the UASR, which approves them in less than a week.

On October 10, 1939, Arno and his family are told by Nazi authorities that they are to leave immediately. They quickly occupy Pavel's home without pay. When they reach the train station, their luggage and Milica and Jolana's jewelry are taken by German and fascist Czech soldiers. Arno is only able to keep his jacket by hiding it under his shirt. Arno and his family are forced into an overcrowded cattle car with other bourgeois and poor Jews, and travel for days to Hamburg. From there, they spend weeks on a boat to America, with cramped quarters and poor food.

By October 30, Arno and his family have settled in the city of Philadelphia. To their chagrin, they are forced to live in a somewhat overcrowded communal apartment with two other families. Whereas Arno and Jolana had their own rooms in Prague, they are forced to share a bedroom with five other children, while Pavel and Milica are forced to share a room with four other adults.

The Sternburg family is struggles to adapt to life without bourgeois luxuries and privacy, in particular as the demands of the Second World War force them to cut down on their appetites. Arno in particular, avoids participating in group activities and is often mocked by his classmates for his individualist, bourgeois mentality (which he notes is somewhat less insulting then the antisemitism he faced in his homeland). His only friend becomes Poldek, his flatmate and former bourgeois kid who serves as a guide for him.

However, overtime the family gradually adapts to their life. Milica and Jolana, with the help of their female friends, slowly become more independent. Pavel, who is most stubborn to resist the changes around him, eventually builds strong friendships with others. Arno finds that he can share in his more intellectual tastes by joining a number of cultural activities groups in the city, and begins to open up to other kids. Arno grows not only more active socially, but politically, and organizes a charity drive for his school to get a new baseball stadium.

The book ends with Pavel celebrating his 14th birthday, surrounded by all of the comrades he's made.
The Sudeten agreement goes ahead as planned but the German occupation of the rest of Czechoslovakia is by violent invasion after Section 9 and the GUGB help organize a revolt in Czechoslovakia by anti-German elements in the army. It's a valiant but ultimately utterly doomed fight as Hungary and Germany devour the place.

The Sudeten agreement goes ahead as planned but the German occupation of the rest of Czechoslovakia is by violent invasion after Section 9 and the GUGB help organize a revolt in Czechoslovakia by anti-German elements in the army. It's a valiant but ultimately utterly doomed fight as Hungary and Germany devour the place.

So Czechoslovakia's Jews aren't allowed to leave?

They have a somewhat short time window to do so and of course, in an open shooting war (albeit one that only part of the Czechoslovak army even partakes in) more might become casualties.

I figured the Reich would be doing everything possible to get Czechoslovak Jews to leave, since Red America was willing to take them in.

Sidenote, I'm guessing that because of this, Czechs and Slovaks, stung by the betrayal of Britain and France, will become genuinely loyal to Comintern.

I think I could handle living with a few friends, but living with complete strangers? I don't know if I could warm to an idea like that.

Very good Bookmark. TBH, Red American living sounds like absolute bollocks. Seriously, I'm not sure I could take Communal living.

While I do see the obvious disadvantages of communal living, there are clear advantages too. I was a lonely kid, largely because I lived in a car-dependent town with the kids who could be friends miles away. Being in a communal housing gives me more opportunity to be friends.

Living with complete strangers seems odd, but when you live with people of different racial and religious classes, it can also reduce prejudice considerably (or at least that's my read).

Join the club.

Actually, are you allowed to be a hermit in the UASR? Or is that just viewed as a unusual sign?

I think the UASR, a society built around collective unity, believes that people ought to be part of a group and participate socially. Being a hermit would probably be frowned upon, and lead to social stigma.

More "neighbourly" apartments are rather close to communal living. The apartments where everyone knows each other and often celebrate holidays together in particular. That's the TTL ideal instead of a lonely house surrounded by picket fences keeping away neighbours like a castle.

Americans TTL are highly politically involved because the system encourages it with mandatory votes, a culture that sees town hall meetings as crucial to good society, voting always being a day off, and a culture that enshrines the necessity of political activity. Contrast to today where the dominant culture is "it doesn't matter and it's incredibly inconvenient anyway."