So far, here are the RR combos I intend to have in the end.

PRR+N&W
A simple one since the key POD is the PRR expanding their stake in N&W.

ATSF+SLSF
Although some of their networks may parallel in the western half of the latter, I will be thinking of plans to remedy this. In fact, the feud my TL has over it will be part of how I plan to help the Milwaukee Road

ACL+L&N+C&EI
Beyond partial ownership of the third line by the MoPac, this is a fairly simply combo that makes alot of sense. As it is, it would certainly be an excellent Chicago - Southeast line.

Either way regarding the Frisco, I ha several ideas for railroad partnerships that would replace OTL's mergers in their later halfs.

The Santa Fe, Burlington Northern, Rio Grande, PRR, MoPac, and ACL form a series of partnerships to shuttle traffic across their respective systems. This later becomes known as the Rainbow Road in reference to the courses from the Mario Kart video games.

The SP, UP, Milwaukee, NYC, and Southern form their own alliance as well.

As it is, I was wondering about some ideas regarding if my TL does indeed split up the Rock Island. Of course as it is I have other ideas than these, but I still thought it would be a good exercise in DBWI.

Southern Pacific: Tucumcari, NM to Twin Cities, MN via Kansas City, MO and Des Moines, IA; Plus line from Kansas City to Houston via Wichita and Ft. Worth
Union Pacific: Chicago, IL to Omaha, NE via Quad Cities and Des Moines, IA
Santa Fe: Amarillo, TX to Memphis via Oklahoma City with all branches.
Rio Grande: Denver, CO to Kansas City, MO and Omaha, NE

Since I have completed the latest news for 1949. Here's the scenario I have thought of for the ATSF and SLSF to finally get through.

The Milwaukee Road protests that the sheer size of BN as it is would give them an unfair advantage. Since the Hill Roads tap into more markets. So as a condition of the merger, BN sells off the C&S from Pueblo to Ft. Worth. Probably to the Rio Grande so it and the MoPac can use it as a way to shuttle traffic from Louisiana to Colorado and Utah.

Well then...

You've kind of written yourself into a corner here- now that the mergers have happened, you're going to have to retcon in the economic reasons for why they happened. What is going to need to be routed straight from the west coast straight through to Birmingham?

Also, the Santa Fe board seems to have a lot of knowledge of what only Rock Island or the ICC would.

Bearing in mind that my work is absolutely nuts these days so I don't have too much time to devote here, I can make a few suggestions here:

Burlington Northern vs. Milwaukee Road
The ICC wasn't particularly happy that the Milwaukee Road pulled back from the Pacific in 1980, as it effectively granted BN a monopoly over the Salish Sea ports which at the time were swelling rapidly in traffic - so much so that BN (and subsequently BNSF) ended up spending a fortune to completely rebuild the former Great Northern route over the Cascades in the 1990s, because their Stevens Pass route was massively overloaded and the former SP&S from Portland to Spokane was getting clogged up as well. Keeping the Pacific Extension open is a very good thing for the region, and really for everyone except for BN - and perhaps even for then, as it would likely reduce the load on their Stevens Pass and Stampede Pass routes as well as the former SP&S. As far as how to do that and how it runs is a question with a lot of options.

The C&NW-Milwaukee merger proposal only makes sense if you take into account large amounts of line closures in Wisconsin, Minnesota and the Dakotas. When the ICC was considering this, they figured that the Soo Line and Rock Island would pick up a lot of the slack and that the smaller routes would be able to handle the load. That may or may not have been true, we'll never know, but if you want go this route you'll almost certainly have the whole thing eventually owned by Union Pacific, which is good for the shippers on the route, bad for BN and meh for pretty much everyone else. If you want to make Milwaukee merge with someone before or around the time of BN, I can see the Missouri Pacific or Rock Island both being good options. One could see the ICC denying the UP-RI idea, forcing the Rock Island to chase a new partner - and the Milwaukee, aside from route duplication in Iowa, is pretty much an end-to-end merger, and the Rock Island's 'Spine Line' from the Twin Cities to Kansas City is a line that is just tailor-made for the purpose. An RI-MILW merger would create some difficulties for UP and a lot of it from the Santa Fe, as a big part of the late Rock Island's business was moving huge quantities of agricultural traffic out of the Midwest to the Gulf of Mexico. If this merger happens, the combined company could also offer to ship to the massive grain terminals in Seattle and Tacoma. That's a cash bonanza waiting to happen.

A Missouri Pacific-Milwaukee Road merger would also work well, as it would offer the Missouri Pacific access to both Chicago and the Pacific in one shot, and line duplication between the two is pretty much nil. It also offers the advantage of grain traffic to the Pacific (a BIG source of revenue for BN). Truthfully, though, a Rock Island+Milwaukee Road is more or less a shot-for-shot competitor to Burlington Northern excepting Colorado, Nebraska and Wyoming, where BN's lines through the Powder River Basin offer them a clear advantage.

Colorado and Southern Sell-Off
Realistically, this would have two immediate beneficiaries, those being the Rio Grande or Union Pacific, both of whom would absolutely love the ability to gather cargo in Texas for delivery across the Overland Route or across the Rio Grande Main Line. Both the Rock Island and Missouri Pacific could use it as its on the edge of their networks and has plenty of traffic on its own, but realistically its more useful for the DRGW or UP, both of whom would immediately benefit from buying it.

The Okay-This-Is-A-Little-Nuts Scenario
I admit that this idea is probably unlikely (and bonkers, but to hell with it), if the SP-RI deal you propose happens, I would propose turning this into a super-merger, involving the Rio Grande and Milwaukee Road as well. The Milwaukee and Rock Island merge in the 1960s, and the shake-out from that sees the Rio Grande partner with the new merged railroad, which then maintains the established connections between the Southern Pacific and Rock Island. To get such involvement done, SP unloads most of the Cotton Belt route (keeping the El Paso-New Orleans main line, selling everything else) to the Union Pacific, which would eventually take over the Missouri-Kansas-Texas as well and seeing the Frisco go as OTL to BN.

Now, until the 1990s, there is no way the ICC would approve all four lines merging, but having the DRGW as a bridge between the Rock Island Pacific (my name for RI+MILW) at Denver and Colorado Springs and SP at Odgen makes life just a little tricky for UP on the Overland Route, and the Milwaukee's lines from Portland to Seattle could be (and IMO should be) extended to Vancouver and Roberts Bank, namely to funnel the huge lumber traffic out of Canada and the Cascades to the SP at Portland, who then takes it on south to California. It also gives the SP an easy-pasy way of running its perishables traffic (a SP staple throughout its entire history) on friendly rails as far as New Orleans, St. Louis, Chicago or Vancouver, all good things for them. In this scenario, if its UP who gets the Colorado and Southern from BN, this gives them a great position for traffic headed to the Pacific Coast.

Republic of Michigan's ideas would work too, though the Rock Island would howl like mad at the idea of their Tucumcari-Memphis main (and the Eunice line) being sold to the ATSF.

You've kind of written yourself into a corner here- now that the mergers have happened, you're going to have to retcon in the economic reasons for why they happened. What is going to need to be routed straight from the west coast straight through to Birmingham?
The mergers actually haven't happened yet. It's just ATSF entering a back-up plan in case the ATSF+SLSF merger does fail after all. In the vignette, the ATSF board is confident it will happen. Of course, I probably should rewrite to make it clearer it has not happened yet.
Also, the Santa Fe board seems to have a lot of knowledge of what only Rock Island or the ICC would.
How? I figured that it would be something ATSF would easily be able to have.

A Missouri Pacific-Milwaukee Road merger would also work well, as it would offer the Missouri Pacific access to both Chicago and the Pacific in one shot, and line duplication between the two is pretty much nil. It also offers the advantage of grain traffic to the Pacific (a BIG source of revenue for BN). Truthfully, though, a Rock Island+Milwaukee Road is more or less a shot-for-shot competitor to Burlington Northern excepting Colorado, Nebraska and Wyoming, where BN's lines through the Powder River Basin offer them a clear advantage.
I actually think this is what I will do in the end. Perhaps if the ATSF+SLSF merger does indeed happen, have the MKT go to BN instead.

As the mergers have not officially happened yet, let's go to a subject of locomotives. Specifically, ideas provided by @Lucas

5LTHVbDgLJlFLAh90iUOjFPGHqEAPHJVRO8OcPX6pJkKMLogPetl3zblNcOh3LFmcMqIIzYnCwPH3Q5TkcmVuM2KEEuLOmx4blih1PvoOaCS4UOtgtuR0cQNbnLI_izDjbFkZ82Su8btEtpFNvk8AvuuBb-PQvKWdZD4Ji6R5KDFlbPGa6Vyn4fjViKG5mnq-oBckpzeCPemybGzFMeBU_wZaU07pY9-_SmpXYrFN6tluCDwyufN71hLJggVVUKcdlGSaKL292F_A09Mzqr6e0fHA9vKiQztblQPGJKQmtrnio_brwBILunz6ipFP8q2qI74bTpnEa-nOOl3h587t1lKjzf3qnee9p4dCkXFByL0Ub77QGBUtUDt6XgJMeviD00wPlQY7OGAbQg9nLlHXubPaeCCMd1mJ5JZp7DFSmFQe_M65ol9yOyUQspVN2NDrscWSHD5Vyp2I597_wELgKw_qagGAMO1RiYCnvdHJFQaarxY_Val6KIURgSwt6eL6gaOST_-fDLhMs79pLEgOB9Xm3aFSaMYOdWKMJPLBW-LFEhrqHLznlu9zcpJhjbqP8lehLAB0vK1uHMkIFO90vXy-QOwVXxeAd0d6MVYoar2wdZ1UVKk-2Q3WOv2Weu8bxV5nWepYyZg310UU99G6A9a7SfAPZP4=w1366-h157-no

The DSL-30 Trainset, a DMU built for fast trains.

Then this diesel idea in a Rock Island scheme; the DSP locomotives:
upload_2019-7-24_21-47-7.png

I can easily see my TL's take on ALCO building at least one of these two designs too. Or perhaps Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton survive by building them.

SsgtC

Banned
As the mergers have not officially happened yet, let's go to a subject of locomotives. Specifically, ideas provided by @Lucas

5LTHVbDgLJlFLAh90iUOjFPGHqEAPHJVRO8OcPX6pJkKMLogPetl3zblNcOh3LFmcMqIIzYnCwPH3Q5TkcmVuM2KEEuLOmx4blih1PvoOaCS4UOtgtuR0cQNbnLI_izDjbFkZ82Su8btEtpFNvk8AvuuBb-PQvKWdZD4Ji6R5KDFlbPGa6Vyn4fjViKG5mnq-oBckpzeCPemybGzFMeBU_wZaU07pY9-_SmpXYrFN6tluCDwyufN71hLJggVVUKcdlGSaKL292F_A09Mzqr6e0fHA9vKiQztblQPGJKQmtrnio_brwBILunz6ipFP8q2qI74bTpnEa-nOOl3h587t1lKjzf3qnee9p4dCkXFByL0Ub77QGBUtUDt6XgJMeviD00wPlQY7OGAbQg9nLlHXubPaeCCMd1mJ5JZp7DFSmFQe_M65ol9yOyUQspVN2NDrscWSHD5Vyp2I597_wELgKw_qagGAMO1RiYCnvdHJFQaarxY_Val6KIURgSwt6eL6gaOST_-fDLhMs79pLEgOB9Xm3aFSaMYOdWKMJPLBW-LFEhrqHLznlu9zcpJhjbqP8lehLAB0vK1uHMkIFO90vXy-QOwVXxeAd0d6MVYoar2wdZ1UVKk-2Q3WOv2Weu8bxV5nWepYyZg310UU99G6A9a7SfAPZP4=w1366-h157-no

The DSL-30 Trainset, a DMU built for fast trains.

Then this diesel idea in a Rock Island scheme; the DSP locomotives:
View attachment 475340

I can easily see my TL's take on ALCO building at least one of these two designs too. Or perhaps Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton survive by building them.
ALCO is more likely. They pretty readily transitioned to diesels and saw some success with them. Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton were really struggling with the switch to diesels. It was why they merged, they couldn't afford to remain independent from a financial standpoint. I see even less chance of them surviving ITTL than they had in OTL.

@Andrew Boyd. One suggestion could see the ALCO building the DSL-30 in 1952, and the Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton absorved by GE and them building the DXP-55 design. This TL maybe we could more butterflies on engines projects as more DMUs used for intercity service provide by GE and ALCO as way to compete if EMD first generation of diesels.

ALCO is more likely. They pretty readily transitioned to diesels and saw some success with them. Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton were really struggling with the switch to diesels. It was why they merged, they couldn't afford to remain independent from a financial standpoint. I see even less chance of them surviving ITTL than they had in OTL.

I gotta side with SsgtC on this one. Alco is the better option here, as they did have their deal with GE to help them with the transition to diesel power. Lucas has an interesting point, though, as GE could do just that as a way of rivalling the passenger diesels from EMD and Alco.

Just to avoid confusion, the Santa Fe + Frisco merger has not happened yet. The recent vignette regarding the Rock Island's division was simply the ATSF's plan B for if their SLSF takeover failed.

ITTL i could GE have more liberty on designs for new trainsets as DMUs and first generation diesel power to compete if EMD F/E-Series and ALCO PA. Maybe if early sucessfull DMUs like these two concepts, US railroads would use more DMUs and EMUs for passenger service instead OTL?

ITTL i could GE have more liberty on designs for new trainsets as DMUs and first generation diesel power to compete if EMD F/E-Series and ALCO PA. Maybe if early sucessfull DMUs like these two concepts, US railroads would use more DMUs and EMUs for passenger service instead OTL?
Indeed.

How? I figured that it would be something ATSF would easily be able to have.

They seem awfully certain of what exactly their competition would be getting. RI would be very tight-lipped about it even when negotiating with ATSF- in most cases, you never want to lay all your cards out at once when making a deal.

Here are some ideas I had for my TL's MoPac

- 1954: The railroad preserves 4-8-2 steam engine #5321 at Sedalia, MO.
- 1965: MoPac acquires the Chicago Great Western for its route from Kansas City to Minnesotta.
- 1974: The Milwaukee Road takes over the MoPac. As part of the Milwaukee, the MoPac gains access to both Chicago and the Pacific in one shot, and line duplication between the two is pretty much nil.
- 1977: The Rock Island, having lost out thanks to the Milwaukee+MoPac merger, manages to instead merge with Southern Pacific.
- 1979: The Chicago Great Western line from Chicago to Omaha is turned in TTL's Grand Trunk. That is, after a failed attempt to give it to Union Pacific due to UP+CNW merging.

In conclusion, I agree with what @TheMann said. Though I prefer the idea of the MoPac since the Milwaukee can beat the BN via using another market.

Here's what I can see now...

Milwaukee Road: Chicago Great Western; Duluth, Missable, & Iron Range; Missouri Pacific