Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Arguably it did. Assad's government won the civil war and gained hegemony over the country, and violence now occurs only in sporadic outbreaks.
Well, I guess I'm thinking of how the Kurdish insurgency kept going but maybe that is more of a seperate conflict.

On the topic of Italy, does anyone have details about the Congress of Verona insofar as the Italian question was concerned, and what were the alternatives in Sardinia-Piedmont to Carignano succession?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Out of general interest - if the Junta lose the ongoing Myanmar Civil War then what is the most likely result? A bunch of independent countries, a loose network of new states, or a decentralised federation. If it is a federation are the borders between the states likely to shift?
Please confine current politics to Chat.

Unificazione_italiana_-_Italia_di_Plombi%C3%A8res.jpg

I think this is the original proposal.
Isn't Central Italy supposed to have the two big islands? And Savoy should get the "Italian parts of the Dalmatian Coast"? Other than that I really like this map, it's cool. :p

The United Kingdom of Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia was proposed by Juan José Flores -- the first (and third, and fourth) President of Ecuador, while in exile in France. Flores was a controversial figure, periodically being ousted from power and seizing power back through a combination of political manoeuvring and military force. He became convinced that Ecuador was too unstable to be a true republic, and that it needed stable government through dictatorship or constitutional monarchy (ideally under him). He also believed that this new Ecuadorian Kingdom should unify with the Republics of Peru and Bolivia -- that is, reunify the former Spanish Viceroyalty of Peru, and thereby create a much larger, wealthier, and more powerful state (again, ideally under his leadership).

The United States of China was a proposed plan for Chinese reunification in the 1920s. Chinese statesman Chen Jiongming felt that the political realities of the Warlord Era, as well as the sociocultural diversity of China, made the reformation of a highly-centralised republic under the Kuomintang both unrealistic and undesirable. Instead, he proposed that China be reunified under a federalised model with multiple political parties both at the provincial and national level. This, he argued, would be more democratic than Kuomintang one-party leadership, and that democratic participation would lead to social/economic development (as people would vote for their own interests, and become more politically involved through democratic participation, etc).

The United States of China was a proposed plan for Chinese reunification in the 1920s. Chinese statesman Chen Jiongming felt that the political realities of the Warlord Era, as well as the sociocultural diversity of China, made the reformation of a highly-centralised republic under the Kuomintang both unrealistic and undesirable. Instead, he proposed that China be reunified under a federalised model with multiple political parties both at the provincial and national level. This, he argued, would be more democratic than Kuomintang one-party leadership, and that democratic participation would lead to social/economic development (as people would vote for their own interests, and become more politically involved through democratic participation, etc).
I wonder how a federal China would look like.
Were there any Republican time proposed borders for federal subjects?

I've heard the name for the proposed state alternatively call the United Provinces of China, since "United States" sounds more like a loose confederation than a federal model.

I've heard the name for the proposed state alternatively call the United Provinces of China, since "United States" sounds more like a loose confederation than a federal model.
Could be. Either would make sense. According to Wikipedia, the New York Times in 1922 said it was a plan to organise China "in the manner of the American experience." But then, the NYT is an American publication, and I don't know how true that is.

Could be. Either would make sense. According to Wikipedia, the New York Times in 1922 said it was a plan to organise China "in the manner of the American experience." But then, the NYT is an American publication, and I don't know how true that is.
I'm talking about the semantics of "United States of China" more than anything.

To quote Wikipedia,

"Sun Yat-sen's title in 1912 was "President of the Provisional Government of the United Provinces of China".[4] Chinese federalists from this period often used "United Provinces" instead of "Federation" or "United States" because "states" suggested a more independent arrangement than "provinces." In other words, they wished to avoid the impression that federalism implied separatism."

I'm talking about the semantics of "United States of China" more than anything.

To quote Wikipedia,

"Sun Yat-sen's title in 1912 was "President of the Provisional Government of the United Provinces of China".[4] Chinese federalists from this period often used "United Provinces" instead of "Federation" or "United States" because "states" suggested a more independent arrangement than "provinces." In other words, they wished to avoid the impression that federalism implied separatism."
Which is something that they don't appear to be too fond of.

Many of us have heard of filibusters -- mercenary-adventurers (usually Americans) who engage in unauthorised military expeditions, driven largely by personal ambition. The most famous American filibuster was William Walker, who invaded Mexico and successfully conquered Nicaragua without the backing of any government -- just his army of fortune-seeking rabble-rousers. (Of course, Americans weren't the only people to undertake this sort of adventurism -- for example, the French Comte de Raousset-Boulbon also invaded the Mexican state of Sonora in the 1850s, almost at the same time as Walker -- but as far as I know, the word "filibuster" generally applies only to Americans).

Now, most filibustering took place in the Western Hemisphere, in what 19th century Americans often considered their sphere of influence. But there's one man who travelled further from the US to carve out a fiefdom of his own -- Josiah Harlan, the would-be King of Afghanistan.

Born into a Quaker family from Chester County, Pennsylvania, Harlan studied medicine, but dreamed of adventure and glory. So he enlisted as a military surgeon with the British East India Company, made a name for himself in the Company's first war with Burma, and learnt Hindi and Persian (and the military arts) quickly. Eventually, though, he came to resent the Company -- it was too nakedly profit-driven, too capitalistic for his liking. Harlan was a classicist at heart, and he didn't merely want to fight for coin; he wanted to fight for crown-and-throne.

In the 1820s, Harlan entered the service of Maharajah Ranjit Singh of the Sikh Empire -- the famous "Lion of Punjab," and perennial rival of the Afghans. Ranjit Singh had won several victories over various Afghan leaders, and Afghanistan was unstable after this succession of failed invasions. The ruling Durrani clan was challenged by the rising Barakzai, and as these tribes feuded, Ranjit Singh encouraged Harlan to raise a company of mercenaries to intervene -- not on behalf of the Maharajah, but as an independent force in the conflict.

Needless to say, Harlan didn't become king -- Americans never were good at conquering Afghanistan. He did, however, pledge fealty to Dost Muhammad Khan -- "the Great Emir," and Ranjit Singh's arch-rival -- helping him fight off an Uzbek invasion. In exchange, Dost Muhammad Khan proclaimed him the "Prince of Ghor" ("Ghor" being a province in the Hindu Kush). There's more to the story, but eh, I don't feel like writing it all out. You can read it on your own if you like.

I do think it'd be funny if a Pennsylvania surgeon became King of Afghanistan, maybe with British or Sikh help. Maybe the Durrani and Barakzai would recognise him just to prevent the other from coming out on top.

What's the lighter color area in north/central Mexico?
There's a line in the source doc that talks about a mormon autonomous region.
"Texas was underfunded, underpopulated, and still at war with Mexico. Therefore, a Mormon settlement in the disputed and remotely settled Nueces Strip would serve as a powerful buffer between Texas and Mexico. The Mormons possessed potential military strength, especially compared to Texas: the Nauvoo Legion in 1844 was four times the size of the Texan army at the Battle of San Jacinto in 1837. Importantly, even if – as Houston privately hoped – Texas were soon annexed to the United States, both the Texans and the Mormons would still have found a Mormon settlement useful: Texas still would have had additional frontier protection, while the Mormons would be far from the growing disorder of Nauvoo and American population centers more generally, and presumably their presence in Texas would be welcomed by its inhabitants. Thus, as both Houston and Woodworth perceived, a Mormon autonomous region on the Texas frontier could solve both Texas and Mormon political crises."