Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

I wouldn't call it a war goal. It could have happened peacefully, if not for the french. Some tribes in todays Mauretania pledged their allegiance to the moroccan king and Tindouf and Bechar were until the 1950s part of the moroccan protectorate.
Morocco didn't still manage to swallow western sahara after almost 50 years

View attachment 821921
Between 1910 and 1939, the United States drafted a series of Color-Coded War Plans, which were designed to deal with a series of hypothetical wars between other powers of the world. Most of these ultimately never came to fruition and were shelved with the outbreak of World War II, but a few formed the basis of some actual plans. They are:
  • War Plan Red- Conflict with the British Empire, with subdivisions labeled as Crimson (Canada), Ruby (India), Scarlet (Australia), Garnet (New Zealand), and Emerald (Irish Free State).
  • War Plan Orange- Conflict with the Japanese Empire.
  • War Plan Red-Orange- A two-front war between Britain and Japan, probably based on the Anglo-Japanese Alliance.
  • War Plan Yellow- Conflict with war, anticipating a second Boxer Rebellion. Plans included suppressing unrest in the Shanghai International Settlement and Beijing Legation Quarter with chemical weapons.
  • War Plan Gold- Conflict with France and/or French Caribbean colonies.
  • War Plan Green- Potential invasion of Mexico that would involve deposing the government, crushing rebel forces and installing a pro-American regime.
  • War Plan Blue- Defensive plans and preparations for the U.S. during peacetime
  • War Plan Indigo- The invasion and occupation of Iceland.
  • War Plan Purple- The invasion of a South American Republic.
  • War Plan Violet- The invasion of/conflict involving any potential nation within Latin America.
  • War Plan Pink- A potential conflict with the Soviet Union.
  • War Plan Tan- Intervention in Cuba.
  • War Plan Brown- An uprising in the Philippines.
  • War Plan Gray I- The invasion of/conflict involving Central American and the Caribbean specifically.
  • War Plan Gray II- The invasion of the Portuguese Azores.
  • War Plan Black- Conflict with the German Empire, which included a contingency plan during World War I in case France fell, and the Germans attempted to seize the French West Indies in the Caribbean Sea, or launch an attack on the eastern seaboard.
  • War Plan White- Covered domestic unrest, peaceful protests and civil disturbances within the U.S., which formed the basis of Operation Garden Plot.
Excellent map, though you coloured in Dutch Guiana (Surinam(e)) as part of War Plan Purple or War Plan Violet, when it wouldn't have been covered by either plan (since it was not a part of Latin America; being Dutch and was also not an independent South American republic at the time)

Here is a map of the US showing multiple secession proposals since the 1980s. They are all related to completely seceding from the union and becoming sovereign nations; I might make a map showing state proposals in the future.
secessionproposals.png

Things to note:
Cascadia includes the Canadian province of British Columbia, it just is not on this map.
This doesn't include everything.

Source: Secession in the United States

Crazy Boris

Banned
Here is a map of the US showing multiple secession proposals since the 1980s. They are all related to completely seceding from the union and becoming sovereign nations; I might make a map showing state proposals in the future.
View attachment 822351
Things to note:
Cascadia includes the Canadian province of British Columbia, it just is not on this map.

Conch Republic with southern Florida? I always figured it was just the Keys. And doesn't Texas have it's own separatist movement?

Conch Republic with southern Florida? I always figured it was just the Keys. And doesn't Texas have it's own separatist movement?
I didn't include that separatist movement because I already had the League of the South. I had to get rid of a few of the movements because I didn't have room. As for the Conch Republic, apparently the Keys are part of a county in southern Florida.

Last edited:
View attachment 822351
Things to note:

I revamped the map based on BrobDingnags' suggestion.
Screenshot 2023-04-02 174813.png

Some states formerly in the CSA like Texas and Georgia have their own movements, so I incorporated them in by mixing colors. I also renamed some of the proposals.

Here's a description of the Kahanist Greater Israel

"The southern boundary goes up to El Arish, which takes in all of northern Sinai, including Yamit. To the east, the frontier runs along the western part of the East Bank of the Jordan River, hence part of what is now Jordan. Eretz Yisrael also includes part of Lebanon and certain parts of Syria, and part of Iraq, all the way to the Euphrates River."

Admittedly, I am a bit daft, so I'm having some trouble trying to understand what exactly Kahane means here, does he mean only part of the Sinai? All of Jordan?

It brings up an idea, though. Were there ever any British map-style proposals for “concessions” to colonists if they didn’t revolt, or during the war for restructuring once they were put down?

Saw this proposal on twitter and thought it would be a cool one to post on here, it's not done by a significantly big figure or anything but i thought it was interesting and unique enough to post here regardless:

Screenshot 2023-04-09 151852.png

If Spain got Fez (extremely unlikely, but hypothetically), I'd imagine the Rif War might go more in the Riffians' favour. Although on paper Spain would control much more territory, its presence in North Africa was always more tenuous than France's, and now it'd have to assert effective control over much more of North Africa -- including Morocco's second-largest city, former capital, and religious capital (whose madrassahs and mosques were deeply tied to independent-minded zawiyahs, ribats, and marabout orders throughout North Africa).
That seems like the obvious outcome, but I don't think things would be so straightforward.
If Spanish officials were smarter, they could have planned a "divide and conquer" strategy in that region to make the several ethnic groups there fight each other instead of joining together against Spain. This same strategy was done by other Empires (like Britain and France) in their own colonial possessions.
They didn't do this OTL (for some reason or another), but maybe getting a bigger share of Northern Morocco would make Spain taking things more seriously and to create a better strategy instead of just ignoring the whole thing until it was too late, when things exploded on their own.

They didn't do this OTL (for some reason or another), but maybe getting a bigger share of Northern Morocco would make Spain taking things more seriously and to create a better strategy instead of just ignoring the whole thing until it was too late, when things exploded on their own.
The Protectorate was a giant corruption scheme within the military. The Army of Africa included most of the "undesirable" elements of the army, be them prisoners, substitute recruits (the "quintos" system for recruitment was a big mess), or incompetemt placeholders. That last group, along with many politicians in mainland Spain, saw the war in the Rif as an opportunity to benefit themselves. In Spain you had two way to go up the ranks of the military: time served, and time in combat. And keeping a low-level insurgency constantly active for the purposes of having relatives of those in power climb up the ladder seemed like a good idea. Spanish politicans kept fanning the flames of the rebellion so the "Africanistas" could rise up ranks (that's how Franco became Europe's youngest general despite being way better suited as a subofficer). When you have so many incompetents and placeholders on command, something like the Disaster of Annual is bound to happen. And when it did, right before the Picasso Report was published, exposing the whole scheme to the public, the military launched a coup d'état, got serious, and ended the war as they should have done many years ago.