PRESIDENT GEORGE S. PATTON!

Remember, the Patton who was in the public's eye was the one Bill Mauldin caricatured, not so cruelly, in the war cartoons published in all the syndicated papers. Not the lunatic played by George C. Scott.

Which one was closer to the truth, I don't know enough to guess.

The only American general elected in the 20th century would say otherwise

The electorate of the US generally suffers a "duuuuh" factor (which is a problem with any issue which is en masse and with many other nations too). You can tell them how to fix problems and how you are intelligent enough to be a capable leader, but they'll call you an elitist for your book learning and vote for the guy they can have a beer with because as we all know, the people you see in your local bar are prime leadership material. This is part of why the smarty Gore didn't succeed Clinton and you got a mokey cowboy from Texas whose leadership is, let's say...debatable. The electorate may have changed over about 60 or so years, but the nature of politics has not really gone much further in that you can easily pander to voters with the everyman and strength factor (though the intellectually deficient factor as what voters may seek may be more a modern thing).

are we assuming that Ike doesn't run? Cuz I really don't see patton beating out Eisenhower in any election without ike turning out to be gay or something.

Patton won't do it.
He don't like the politics and the politicians.
Plus that if he is not going to war he will be much more happy to just go home and be with his wife.

But Patton could run because he thinks the politicians are, as he would say, Jackasses and not doing America right. And you have his hate of the Communists which could make him want to be a politician simply to kick them in the pants.

burmafrd

Banned
Patton was from california so about the only way he would enter politics would be if say one of the senators was too far to the left and he thought or was convinced that the only way to beat him was too run. Still pretty far fetched.
Though I have read that shortly before his accident Eisenhower had mentioned that indeed he probably would run for President and he would feel better about it if he had some people in the Senate he could count on.