President Forever and other 270soft games Megathread

Not quite a Giant Sucking Sound

19992.jpg

Robert Walter in North Dorset. Wikipedia tells me 1997 was his first term, so ITTL, he would have had quite an interesting introduction to national politics :D

Ironically, Michael Portillo may have ended up becoming leader in that scenario. Walter is, as implied by Wikipedia, on the pro-EU wing of his party. The party (assuming it didn't pack up entirely) would have wanted to have had a strong identity, and a charismatic right-wing Eurosceptic such as Portillo would have given it that. Walter may have ended up to the Tories as Carswell became to UKIP.

I've been thinking, this game is easy enough to edit that we could create campaign scenarios based on TLs on this site. Think about it, we could play elections that happened in No Southern Strategy or The Ruins of an American Party System or and other TL that discusses election extensively. Something to speculate about, at least.

I've been thinking, this game is easy enough to edit that we could create campaign scenarios based on TLs on this site. Think about it, we could play elections that happened in No Southern Strategy or The Ruins of an American Party System or and other TL that discusses election extensively. Something to speculate about, at least.
I started working on a Union and Liberty scenario at one point but never really got anywhere with it.

2016 EU Referendum turns out to be 1975 in reverse (more or less):

2016EURef.jpg

Newcastle-upon-Tyne (first mainland voting area to declare IRL) voted Leave by 66-34, so the media would surely have been able to call the entire thing at that point. No, actually, they would have been able to call it when Gibraltar (the first of any voting area to declare IRL) voted 'only' 65-35 to Remain.

Even in this scenario, both Glasgow and Edinburgh voted Remain, with Scotland as a whole voting almost 55-45 to Leave.