Pothead America: A non-distopic drug WI

Popped in my head just now.

An uncommon piece of information about the founding fathers was that some of them knew how to party right, get drunk, and smoke all sorts of things. So what if a few trade shipments here, a smuggling shipment there, and the early US starts off with the habit of smoking weed from South America?

An interesting question... What if Thomas Jefferson cultivates cannabis, and some of the founding fathers seek inspiration for the constitution in...;)

Might just be a minor POD with little as nothing changing and pot anyway be banned. But it might also lead to pot being socially acceptable in USA and therefore in most of the western world.

Pot was quite widespread by the 19th century and not unknown in the 18th. The problem is, it would need to gain acceptance as an upper-class drug. One way I could imagine it happening would be a stronger bout of 'Orientalism' in the 19th century. There was quite some infatuation with the Eternal Wisdom of the Timeless Orient (tm) going around at the time. Maybe people could just drag themselves away long enough from their ottomans and their readings of Omar Khayyam and recitals of Abou Ben Adhem to enjoy a leisurely hookah of high-quality bhang?

Beccause I can't imagine *anything* going into fashion that comes from Mexico.

Hendryk

Banned
Beccause I can't imagine *anything* going into fashion that comes from Mexico.
Mexican food? ;) :p

I once made the following suggestion for a similar AH challenge:

So, a possible POD: Jeremy Osborne, who in OTL was stillborn in 1729 in Bristol, lives to grow to manhood and becomes a sailor for the East India Company. By 1756 he has become one of Robert Clive's men, and takes part in the conquest of Bengal the following year. He stays in India for another five years, marrying a native woman, one Arundhati Gupta. He discovers the recreational uses of cannabis, and, upon his wife's untimely death, resumes his life as a sailor, eventually settling down in the colony of Virginia in 1764. Finding out the profits that are being made from growing tobacco, and realizing that no-one in this part of the empire is as yet aware of hemp as another inhalable plant, he buys a farm and begins to grow hemp crops selected for potency, and starts advertising them as "just like tobacco, only better". The fad catches on as his neighbors realize they have another cash crop on their hands. By the early 1770s, Charlottesville, Va., has become famous for its "pipe hemp", as this variety of the plant is now known.

During the ARW, many American soldiers discover the usefulness of pipe hemp as a painkiller, and the popularity of the plant grows further; both common soldiers and officers prefer it to tobacco. As the saying goes, "It keeps a boat's sails taut and a man's mind relaxed". George Washington personally gives seeds from his own fields to a France-bound Marquis de Lafayette, who, along with US ambassador Benjamin Franklin, introduces the fad to the royal court in Versailles.

Gradually tobacco is displaced altogether as a smokable plant, instead being chewed. Throughout the 19th century and most of the 20th, a hemp pipe is as American as apple pie. The popularity of the weed however begins to decrease from the 1960s, as the rising countercultural movement associates it with conservative mainstream culture. In the 1970s and 1980s, despite the efforts of the hemp lobby, which is especially influential in the Dixie states as most hemp is grown south of the Mason-Dixon line and is represented at the federal level by such influential figures as Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms, health-conscious legislators successfully restrict the right to smoke in public places. By the early 21st century smoking hemp in public is seen as oafish and disrespectful of others, and while smokers account for about 30% of the population (with a somewhat higher proportion of female smokers, due to the soothing effects of hemp on menstrual cramps), they mostly indulge in private. However, public smoking remains tolerated in many other countries, including much of Europe.

HueyLong

Banned
As I understand it, in such a TL, hemp would be far less potent than in OTL (because there wouldn't be as much of an effort to increase its kick)

So, its acceptability as comparable to the cigarette is not all that far off (in earlier times.)

One thing that came to my mind was the possible benefit for South American nations, with a (more legal) cash crop, especially in post-WW2 US markets. Rather than the big money, un-taxed, corruption-inducing effects of the drug trade, it could be a big money, taxed, less-corruption-inducing commercial crop, putting more money into the coffers of South America nations.

Of course any POD is likely to alter things in massive and unforeseeable ways, but I'm going to be skeptical about anything major resulting directly because of the pot. We're not going to have any kind of peaceable, enlightened utopia if a large segment of the population is getting high on the one hand (though I must confess I'm curious to see what this does to Transcendentalism.) And on the other hand, the US isn't going to collapse into anarchy.
People will just smoke up.
I think if it's going to catch on it has to be more than just an upper-class drug. For one thing, those go in and out of fashion, and for another, the rich never much care if they're legal or not.
The key, I feel, is large-scale cultivation in America. I don't suppose there are any, um, keen botanists on the board who are aware of whether or not that's possible? I'm guessing it must be, in the deep south at least.
Then it becomes cultural to grow as well as smoke it.

oh man it can grow anywhere, but for the good stuff it takes precise conditions.

i'm sure that thomas jefferson would be famous for his brand of super-hemp

I don't really see any major changes in the US other than marijuana cigarettes would be sold in additional to tobacco cigarettes.

(although if marijuana was never outlawed and in fact became as prominent as tobacco, this might affect the 20th Century--someone who dies in jail after a pot bust could go on to do something significant)

Latin America, that's a different matter. Cocaine might still be a problem, but marijuana would be a legit crop.