Portuguese Cabo- a TL

I am enjoying this timeline. Was there any effort by the Portuguese to send orphans from the mother country to their colonies? This could be another sources of immigrants.

Here is an some information about the American Orphan Trains that started me thinking about this.

"The Orphan Train Movement was a supervised welfare program that transported children from crowded Eastern cities of the United States to foster homes located largely in rural areas of the Midwest. The orphan trains operated between 1854 and 1929, relocating about 250,000 children. The co-founders of the Orphan Train movement claimed that these children were orphaned, abandoned, abused, or homeless, but this was not always true. They were mostly the children of new immigrants and the children of the poor and destitute families living in these cities. "
Yes, they did send Orfas d' El Rey.

Hi guys, yes, I know, a long hiatus here. But I'm in a bit of block, because I'm not sure how to go with English and Dutch attacks- how much more sucessful Portuguese will be than in OTL...
Any sugestions?
The Portuguese will always have some adversary. But they would likely triumph more in face of it.

My own opinion is that the Dutch will not be able to capture ( or hold for long ) at least Luanda and Benguela- because Portuguese from Cabo are close to assist the fight against them. Maybe even the Portuguese would be able to take back Sao Tome sooner. The rest, I'm inclined to leave as OTL. Your opinions?

Hi guys, I will try to continue with this TL. I hope that I managed to overcome a writers block. Please stay with me, and comment, propose things, advise.

Part 11.
Portuguese-Dutch War, 1610s.

The war started in 1596 when the Dutch private company started an unssuccessful expedition to attack Portugal's Fort of São Jorge da Mina (Elmina) in West Africa. In 1598 they occupied the island of Príncipe, however tropical disease killed off big number of the Dutch and they soon withdrew. In October 1599 they started a larger expedition by occupying the fort of São Tomé, Portuguese inhabitants to withdraw inland. However, here too the Dutch lost 1,200 men and withdrew.

In 1601, first major naval battle with Dutch happened near Java, it was a Dutch victory. Next year, Dutch East Indies Company ( VOC ) was formed. At dawn on February 25, 1603, three ships of the Dutch East India Company (VOC) seized the Santa Catarina, a Portuguese galleon. It was such a rich prize that its sale proceeds doubled the capital of the VOC. In 1603, Dutch attacked Goa, but didn't suceed. Next year, they attacked Mocambique Island. In 1605 the Dutch managed to take Ambone in Moluccas Islands, that allowed them to take part in spice trade. In 1606 Dutch fleet blockaded Lisabon and Malacca.
Portuguese were furious that the Dutch are able to blockade them. Some started to doubt is it wise for Portugal to continue in union with the Spain.

In 1606 the Dutch again attacked Elmina, but they were not successful. They also attacked Mocambique Island again, but didn't succeed there too. In 1610 they also attacked Goa again, again unsuccesfully. In 1609, Dutch and Spanish agreed to a truce, lasting 12 years.

In Cabo, Portuguese prepared for defence of colony. Fortifications are augmented and population organised in military units and armed. Population continued to grow, mostly by natural growth, but some settlers also arrived. Portuguese were also started to think about organising a settlement somewhere else along the south-eastern coast of Cabo, away from Cidade de Cabo, but considering the war, they decided it's better to keep settlers closer to CdC, for defence. Population in 1610 was about 18-20 000. City of Cabo reached about 7 000.

Part 12.
Truce and expansion

During a 12 year truce between the Dutch and Spanish, Portuguese decided to upgrade defences of Cabo fortress. Additional fortifications were built and Lisbon even sent additional 100 soldiers, increasing the garrison to 250. Meanwhile, captain-general organised local Portuguese settlers ( those that were able for defence ) into local companies, with about 800 local soldiers. About 1/3 of them was in city of Cabo, about 1/3 was in smaller settlements around Cape, and the third was in more isolated to the north, east and south of Cabo. Their main role was defence from Khoi attacks. They were also armed with better weapons. Local soldiers were obligated to spend one day in month training with professional soldiers, and another day in month working in repairing and expanding fortifications. Population was about 23 000 in 1620. Some settlers even started to peek behing the coastal mountains ( OTL Tulbagh and , where there was abundance of land. Some also started to go north, behind Saldanha. The land there was dryer and weaker than around Cabo, but good enough for sheep and goat grazing- and there was abundance of it.
Also, some fishermen were stranded on a coast east of Cape Agulhas ( around OTL Breeriver ). They managed to survive and get back, but they also spread the news about lush vegetation and abundance of good land there.

Captain-general decided that it might be a good thing to make a settlement there, to claim the area for Portugal, and also to allow settlement of additional settlers. Others in Senado thought that maybe to would be wiser to go slowly, and found a settlement closer to allready settled area. By then, Portuguese allready settled the east end of Valle Verde. So, they decided to make a small fort and settle newcomers there ( area of OTL Hermanus ) in 1620. The bay there also had abundance of whales, so they soon started whaling.
They decided to name the city Almeida, in honour of Don Francisco de Almeida.

So, the population of the Portuguese Cape in 1620 is 23,000. If it grew by 2% per year, which is a pretty standard growth rate for temperate settler colonies, the population would reach 112,000 by 1700 and 812,000 by 1800. For comparison, the Dutch Cape Colony had a population of just over 60,000 in 1800. That's using a more conservative 2% growth rate, tick that up to 2.5% (which I think was the maximum growth rate of French Canada and British New England), and the population would be 165,000 in 1700 and 1,959,000 in 1800. Regardless, this Portuguese South Africa is going to be huge, with a White or Mixed population in the tens of millions.
On another note, I can't wait to see what cowboy/gaucho culture develops on the frontier.

Last edited:
So, the population of the Portuguese Cape in 1620 is 23,000. If it grew by 2% per year, which is a pretty standard growth rate for temperate settler colonies, the population would reach 112,000 by 1700 and 812,000 by 1800. For comparison, the Dutch Cape Colony had a population of just over 60,000 in 1800. That's using a more conservative 2% growth rate, tick that up to 2.5% (which I think was the maximum growth rate of French Canada and British New England), and the population would be 165,000 in 1700 and 1,959,000 in 1800. Regardless, this Portuguese South Africa is going to be huge, with a White or Mixed population in the tens of millions.
On another note, I can't wait to see what cowboy/gaucho culture develops on the frontier.
I think that the growth rate might be somewhere between 1,5 and 2%.

Population would grow even more quickly with the discovery of the mineral ressources of the highveld from portuguese immigration and slave importation (IRL brazil had 3% increase rate despite being tropical from 1720 to 1770) , survival rate of settlers would be quite higher than brazil

Also it'd be a good idea to not forget about portuguese east africa, while the 17th century was a relative low point trade in the swahili coast (and much before the appartiion of later large scale long distance trade, to the point mombasa was a net loss to the portuguese) and I doubt the low portuguese presene in the region (an average of 100-300 iberians at any time) would change ITTL, I imagine the greater trade with india and the cape would give it more importance.
And then mozambique would also be much more important, after all at their apex of influence in Zambezia in the 1640s, the portuguese held total control on all exports of the region, and had large influence on all internal trade through the ferias in the zambezi and zimbabwe, had direct control of the Mazowe and Saniyati rivers gold region in northern zimabwe, and wide ranging political influence extending as far as Butwa in what is today south-western zimbabwe/north eastern botswana. Sure it was all lost by the end of the century with the excdption of the zambezian prazos, and modern mozambique is only the result of the 1880-1920 conquests, but in the early to mid 17th century portugal had an actual territorial empire, and given actual settlement (more than the token efforts of IRL) it could become a colony not too different from those in the less controlled parts of spanish america like guatemala)

Hi guys, I might continue with this TL. There are some things I'm not quite sure about the outcome of Dutch-Portuguese war. So I will need your assistance.
My idea is that the Portuguese lose as in OTL in East Indies, but keep Cabo and everything in Africa as OTL plus Portuguese Gold Coast. What do you think? Portuguese Independence mostly as in OTL?

Hi guys, I might continue with this TL. There are some things I'm not quite sure about the outcome of Dutch-Portuguese war. So I will need your assistance.
My idea is that the Portuguese lose as in OTL in East Indies, but keep Cabo and everything in Africa as OTL plus Portuguese Gold Coast. What do you think? Portuguese Independence mostly as in OTL?
I think that is a good ideia, the portuguese keep goa , macau and timor and thats it , but keep everything in africa and brazil, still a huge empire to hold , also is portugal colonizing mozambique right ?

Part 13. ( 1620- 1640 )

Considering I can't bother with hundred Dutch-Portuguese battles and attacks, I will here just state that the Portuguese-Dutch War went mostly per OTL, but TTL because of presence of Portuguese in Cabo, they were able to get the Dutch sooner from Luanda ( and later from Sao Tome and Elmina ), while the Brazilians concentrated more on expulsion of the Dutch there ). So, to make the story short- Portuguese managed to keep everything as in OTL plus Cabo and Gold Coast/Elmina- while the Dutch manages to take Mallacca, Ceylon and other OTL eastern posessions. The Dutch tried to take the Cabo City, but Portuguese managed to repulse them, thanks to well prepared defence.

Last edited:
Part 14. ( 1640- 1660 )

Portgal rebels against Spain as per OTL, after Catalonian rebellion, Portuguese managed to get freedom, while Catalonians don't. Warfare with the Dutch continues and as stated before, ends like said in Part 13.
Population in Cabo increaces, so in 1640 is about 35 000 and in 1660 is about 50 000.

Meanwhile, the Dutch, seiing the importance of Cabo, decide to form their own settlement in south of Africa, and not only one- but two of them. So, in 1650 they formed Walwis Baai ( OTL Walwis Bay in Namibia ) and a two years later, Natalbaai ( OTL Durban ). Both places had good ports, enough water ( and fish ) to provision Dutch ships passing by, and, maybe even more important, they were well placed for attacks on Portuguese shipping.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know I'm lazy. This exactly is what I don't like to read in alternate history, bordering with handwawing. But, IMHO, better that than never passing that writers block.

I fully expect the Portuguese to take the Dutch settlements in Walvis Bay and Natal in the long run due to the growth of the Portuguese settler population in the Cape.