Planetocopia Map Thread

So it turns out Exoplasim was broken when I did the simulation.
I redid it.

Draina is way more habitable.
View attachment 847035
Here's a Koppen climate map for y'all.
image.png
I dig it it looks diverse and possibly a good fit for a crazy world civilization to develop m

What would the climate map of the modern world look like if Antarctica never existed, and the Southern Ocean was just water and nothing but water?

Here's another idea: Take a modern-day map of modern-day Earth, reduce its sea levels by 1700 feet (like during Snowball Earth) and then follow the Inversia instruction list.

bzbsClw.png

MolotovJack’s new satellite map for Retrograde Earth, based on data from mikolajewicz et al 2018 and from some of my own analyses of the data. The other map posted before was a Koppen climate category map;
This map here is a “satellite” view based on foliage cover simulated in the study, shown below;
https://i.imgur.com/D9NIiOw.png
As you can see, there is a very notable difference in foliage distribution to our own world. There are deserts across the southern United States and China, while the Sahara and Arabia blossom. The different shades should give a clear indication as to how dense foliage is or isn’t in this world, depending on what region we’re talking about. What does your home look like in this world? Use this combined with the climate map to figure out!

Vladivostok is now.... more of the same I think...?
Well this is just foliage cover rather than the specific climate. It should give you a better idea as to how the actual forests and plains are spread out here than the climate map.

It’s now a warm water port! A slightly warmer and drier summer and a much milder winter mean that southern Primorsky now has a Mediterranean climate (mostly Csb and even some little Csa on the coastlines), while the rest of Transamur is temperate aka Cfb, as is Sakhalin.

Well this is just foliage cover rather than the specific climate. It should give you a better idea as to how the actual forests and plains are spread out here than the climate map.

It’s now a warm water port! A slightly warmer and drier summer and a much milder winter mean that southern Primorsky now has a Mediterranean climate (mostly Csb and even some little Csa on the coastlines), while the rest of Transamur is temperate aka Cfb, as is Sakhalin.
What location elsewhere in the world would it be closest to? I've been everywhere and I know how it is where I live (outside the city essentially skirting the boundary between forest and municipality line) so like is it more like Boston now or....?

bzbsClw.png

MolotovJack’s new satellite map for Retrograde Earth, based on data from mikolajewicz et al 2018 and from some of my own analyses of the data. The other map posted before was a Koppen climate category map;
This map here is a “satellite” view based on foliage cover simulated in the study, shown below;
As you can see, there is a very notable difference in foliage distribution to our own world. There are deserts across the southern United States and China, while the Sahara and Arabia blossom. The different shades should give a clear indication as to how dense foliage is or isn’t in this world, depending on what region we’re talking about. What does your home look like in this world? Use this combined with the climate map to figure out!
Is there a good version of this for OTL? It would be useful for comparing the two. This looks really nice.

NfUwPYK.jpg
What location elsewhere in the world would it be closest to? I've been everywhere and I know how it is where I live (outside the city essentially skirting the boundary between forest and municipality line) so like is it more like Boston now or....?
Well, based on what I can see, Vladivostok specifically is hot Mediterranean climate surrounded by warm, so me and JackMolotov agree it compares to coastal Oregon, Galicia and northern Portugal or even NoCal. Same with Hokkaido.

Interestingly, Sakhalin works out a pretty nice place to live in this timeline. The climate study map suggests most of outer Manchuria and all of Sakhalin is 10+C warmer for mean annual temperature than prograde/otl, so this would mean Yuzno-Sakhalinsk, being near the southern tip and slightly drier (especially in summer) has similar average annual temperatures to otl coastal washington,* whereas Okha on the northern tip would be warmer than otl Sapporo**! This means Sakhalin would be able to support more warm-loving fauna like raccoon dogs, black bears, Sika deer, macaques and even dwarf elephants!

*using the same climate site as below, Yuzno-Sakhalinsk’s annual mean temperature in otl is 6.5-10.5C lower than that or Aomori or 8-12C lower than Akita. So using this equation, TTL Yuzno-Sakhalinsk is 1.5-3.5C warmer annually than otl Aomori. In practise, though it probably has similar summer temperatures but milder winters.

**using this climate comparison site, Okha is 6C cooler than Sapporo in August at the height of summer and 9-12C cooler in January at the height of winter. If we go with -12 for simplicity’s sake, Okha’s mean annual temperature is 9C lower than Sapporo’s in otl. According to the study, all of Sakhalin, including Okha is 10-12C warmer on average, so that makes Retro-Okha 1-3C warmer than otl Sapporo annually, though 1C cooler than otl Aomori. In practise, though, less seasonal variation and considerably more rainfall may make it more like Vancouver Island or parts of Britain. So best thinking of Sakhalin like a smaller England or larger Vancouver, although given that a retrograde earth has a larger arctic ice cap than otl, it may end up a peninsula instead. Coastal Washington also works.
Is there a good version of this for OTL? It would be useful for comparing the two. This looks really nice.
Thank @Molotov Jack for that one!
1691849713196.jpeg

I think this may work.

Last edited:
Well, based on what I can see, Vladivostok specifically is hot Mediterranean climate surrounded by warm, so me and JackMolotov agree it compares to coastal Oregon or even NoCal. Same with Hokkaido.

Interestingly, Sakhalin works out a pretty nice place to live in this timeline. The climate study map suggests most of outer Manchuria and all of Sakhalin is 10+C warmer for mean annual temperature than prograde/otl, so this would mean Yuzno-Sakhalinsk, being near the southern tip and slightly drier (especially in summer) has similar average annual temperatures to otl Fukushima or Portland, Oregon,* whereas Okha on the northern tip would be warmer than otl Sapporo**!

*In terms of seasonal variation and rainfall patterns, the latter would likely be closer as an analogy. If you want Asian analogues, think a drier Tohuko for summer and Kanto for winter.

**using this climate comparison site, Okha is 6C cooler than Sapporo in August at the height of summer and 9-12C cooler in January at the height of winter. If we go with -12 for simplicity’s sake, Okha’s mean annual temperature is 9C lower than Sapporo in otl. According to the study, all of Sakhalin, including Okha is 10+C warmer on average, so that makes Retro-Okha 1+C warmer than otl Sapporo. In practise though, less seasonal variation and considerably more rainfall may make it more like Vancouver Island or parts of Britain. So best thinking of Sakhalin like a smaller England or larger Vancouver, although given that a retrograde earth has a larger arctic ice cap than otl, it may end up a peninsula instead. Coastal Washington also works.

Thank @Molotov Jack for that one!
View attachment 849768
I think this may work.
So Vladivostok would be like San Francisco then maybe? As someone who loves warm weather, this map is making me wish we had a retrograde Earth. Are any Places cooler than our Earth?

^In addition, I wonder how different the cultures would be 9n this Earth, what the countries would be, and who the main powers are.

So Vladivostok would be like San Francisco then maybe? As someone who loves warm weather, this map is making me wish we had a retrograde Earth. Are any Places cooler than our Earth?
I was thinking coastal Croatia may be a decent analogue here.

Oh definitely, as the climate map shows, Northern Africa, most of the western USA and Canada including Alaska, the Middle East, Central Asia and all of Europe are to some extent or another cooler than they are in otl. Northern Europe, especially Britain and Scandinavia experiences some of the most extreme cooling here, by an average of more than 10C annually, mainly due to much harsher winters. With the Mediterranean, Sahara and Middle East, it’s mostly milder summers along with much wetter weather that do the trick, but much of Europe has stronger winters than ours, as does British Columbia, hence why only Iberia and the southern Balkans and Italy are temperate. For America, Northern California is cooler but SoCal is warmer, and both are substantially wetter. New Zealand is a bit cooler and slightly drier except for the southern coast, but otherwise similar.
^In addition, I wonder how different the cultures would be 9n this Earth, what the countries would be, and who the main powers are.
My timeline is just one interpretation, the premise could be done with an isot for example if someone wished. For my own timeline, the dominant global powers are in Northern Africa, the Middle East and India, all being greener than otl, but lesser yet still formidable powers exist in southern Europe, the Andes, California, northeast Asia* and Western Australia.

In biology terms, I’ve also done biomes for the natural ecosystems of west Australia, southern India, Manchuria, Arabia and Thailand so far, and others will be done in future.

*I personally define this as northern China, Korea, Japan, Mongolia and the northern lands east of the Altai Mountains [themselves slightly wetter and with slightly milder winters than otl].

I was thinking coastal Croatia may be a decent analogue here.

Oh definitely, as the climate map shows, Northern Africa, most of the western USA and Canada including Alaska, the Middle East, Central Asia and all of Europe are to some extent or another cooler than they are in otl. Northern Europe, especially Britain and Scandinavia experiences some of the most extreme cooling here, by an average of more than 10C annually, mainly due to much harsher winters. With the Mediterranean, Sahara and Middle East, it’s mostly milder summers along with much wetter weather that do the trick, but much of Europe has stronger winters than ours, as does British Columbia, hence why only Iberia and the southern Balkans and Italy are temperate. For America, Northern California is cooler but SoCal is warmer, and both are substantially wetter. New Zealand is a bit cooler and slightly drier except for the southern coast, but otherwise similar.

My timeline is just one interpretation, the premise could be done with an isot for example if someone wished. For my own timeline, the dominant global powers are in Northern Africa, the Middle East and India, all being greener than otl, but lesser yet still formidable powers exist in southern Europe, the Andes, California, northeast Asia* and Western Australia.

In biology terms, I’ve also done biomes for the natural ecosystems of west Australia, southern India, Manchuria, Arabia and Thailand so far, and others will be done in future.

*I personally define this as northern China, Korea, Japan, Mongolia and the northern lands east of the Altai Mountains [themselves slightly wetter and with slightly milder winters than otl].
1) Wow, is that going to be rough for Scandinavia in particular.

2) Are the Rockies, like Colorado. colder than OTL?

3) Is there any way I can see your TL and your biomes?

bzbsClw.png

Beautiful, I'm still curious about the Somalia-like situation in Central America. I get the feeling the windward coast should be getting at least enough monsoonal rains to qualify as hot steppe, but the data from the study shows the high pressure over North America extending over the area with weak northerly winds. My impression is that it might be a resolution issue, and that a model with smaller cells would produce a more noticeable monsoon, but I could be wrong. Thoughts?

Beautiful, I'm still curious about the Somalia-like situation in Central America. I get the feeling the windward coast should be getting at least enough monsoonal rains to qualify as hot steppe, but the data from the study shows the high pressure over North America extending over the area with weak northerly winds. My impression is that it might be a resolution issue, and that a model with smaller cells would produce a more noticeable monsoon, but I could be wrong. Thoughts?
No that’s a good point, especially with some of the highlands. The authors note that a future study with a more powerful computer and higher resolution would be superior.

Also some people have stated I should not only try trimming the American/Canadian Great Lakes due to warmer conditions and enlarge the Caspian due to Iranian meltwater, but add a bunch of lakes that dried up in otl. As well as the Saharan ones, there’s ones for a greener Great Basin, west Australia and even the Iranian plateau apparently,

Last edited:
1) Wow, is that going to be rough for Scandinavia in particular.

2) Are the Rockies, like Colorado. colder than OTL?

3) Is there any way I can see your TL and your biomes?
1. Yeah, certainly,
2. Well, not so much significantly, but the rain effects are reversed. Wetter and greener in the west and drier and less so in the east.
oi3H7H4.jpg

WMHrfqq.jpg

As you can see, Colorado basin is more lush than otl but quiet alien looking.
3. Sure, it’s here

The main power regions in my timeline’s Americas would be (using real life language); California, including the Great Basin, Baja and some of Cascadia, a Steppe based society around the Great Lakes and plains, an African settler colony in the mid-atlantic, an Egypt like country at the mouth of the Mississippi, possibly a alt-Canada colonised by Iberians, a Indus-like society in Venezuela, a Mesopotamia analogue in La Plata and an OP Andes nation that makes otl Inca look weak in comparison around Peru and northern Chile. The latter and *California would arguably be the most powerful, at least until*Canada has farming technology able to utilise the continental climate effectively for crop yields.