Photos from Featherston's Confederacy/ TL-191

HT1EUkofCUnPCKwd6ONpWNdzXdB-WZ2EDcc8ZXfa47L3MPW23QWqxSm0uL6792vU0KnRp9f9ZqJngHssBXrcOHGHU4feMw

A famous photo taken during the Second Russian Civil War (1947-1950). The Civil War would see the fall of the Tsarist regime outside of the holdout of Alaska and the rise of the Russian Soviet Republic.
Photo missing.

81go8kP8KpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

USS Enterprise (CV-5) underway in the North Atlantic, circa Autumn of 1943 prior to the Battle of Rockall Bank. The second member of the Bonhomme Richard class, the USS Enterprise aka the Big E was the second most decorated warship of the USN during the SGW after the dreadnought USS Dakota. She would be involved in many notable engagements during the war in the North Atlantic such as the Hunt for the Confederate Battlecruiser CSS Jefferson Davis in February of 1942, the Greenland Campaign, and the raids on British occupied Iceland and the Faroe Islands from May to December of 1942, the Second Battle of Bermuda, the Raid on Scapa Flow, Battle of Rockall Bank, and finally operating in European Waters in the last months of the war. After the war, a successful campaign by her former commanding officer, Admiral William Halsey, would see her converted into a museum ship in New York City where she remains to this day as of the summer of 2021. The Royal Navy would also give the Enterprise the fitting nickname of the "Grey Ghost of the Atlantic" as a reference to the three different times that they thought they had sunk her, only to discover that she was still afloat in another engagement.
Nicely done. I’m curious as to what this “Battle of Rockall Bank” is. It’s been alluded to a few times and I want to say it’s the equivalent to Midway here.

81go8kP8KpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

USS Enterprise (CV-5) underway in the North Atlantic, circa Autumn of 1943 prior to the Battle of Rockall Bank. The second member of the Bonhomme Richard class, the USS Enterprise aka the Big E was the second most decorated warship of the USN during the SGW after the dreadnought USS Dakota. She would be involved in many notable engagements during the war in the North Atlantic such as the Hunt for the Confederate Battlecruiser CSS Jefferson Davis in February of 1942, the Greenland Campaign, and the raids on British occupied Iceland and the Faroe Islands from May to December of 1942, the Second Battle of Bermuda, the Raid on Scapa Flow, Battle of Rockall Bank, and finally operating in European Waters in the last months of the war. After the war, a successful campaign by her former commanding officer, Admiral William Halsey, would see her converted into a museum ship in New York City where she remains to this day as of the summer of 2021. The Royal Navy would also give the Enterprise the fitting nickname of the "Grey Ghost of the Atlantic" as a reference to the three different times that they thought they had sunk her, only to discover that she was still afloat in another engagement.
Do an overview on the Raid on Scapa Flow, please. That sounds pretty daring. Speaking of daring raids, do you plan on doing a TL-191 version of the Saint-Nazaire Raid?

Photos from the Battle of Nihoa: August 15-16, 1942

4740E7A1-2F9F-4B83-85BA-23B1F1EE1CD2.jpeg

^^^ ——— USS Trenton (CVE-27) making her way out to sea on the morning of August 13th, 1942. USS Chapultepec (CVE-28) would join her.

F8379FEF-B00D-4881-9257-E15E5A450D6F.jpeg

^^^——— A Japanese dive bomber plummets into the sea after taking an intense barrage of AA fire from the American task force, afternoon, August 15th, 1942. After hitting the Japanese light carriers Kuroyo and Hakuyo, strike aircraft from each carrier managed to find the American force and dove in for the attack. This photo was taken from the bridge of Chapultepec and shows Trenton taking evasive maneuvers.

E39AACFD-7688-484F-9E9A-B453F44A9106.jpeg

^^^——— A damaged Japanese fighter plunges into a suicidal dive on the Trenton, after being shot at by US F3A Bobcat fighters.
AA9277A4-5605-4837-BBD2-319D736D3129.jpeg

^^^——— Destroyer USS Townsend (far right) and light cruiser USS Yonkers (far left) take evasive action as a Japanese torpedo bomber attempts to fly under their flak screen. By the end of the day, Japanese strike force would loose light carrier Kuroyo, with moderate damage to her sister ship Hakuyo. Trenton and Chapultepec would also suffer damaged in this battle.

This Battle of Rockall Bank is actually more akin to the Battle of the Philippine Sea from OTL.
Ah, I see now. Then I envision it to be taking place over a large area then, but centered around a specific place. Great work though. Its always fun to see that Enterprise gets preserved in some kind of timeline.

Anyone here more knowledgeable about Russian generals than I? I’m curious as to how many of our TL generals wouldn’t be in the same position due to Redness

the mongol baron guy
Bunyachenko
Vasilyevsky
Vlasov
Maybe Zukhov?

Last edited:
Anyone here more knowledgeable about Russian generals than I? I’m curious as to how many of our TL generals wouldn’t be in the same position due to Redness

the mongol baron guy
Bunyachenko
Vasilyevsky
Vlasov
Maybe Zukhov?
I can least talk about the Mad Baron.

There is, in my opinion, a chance that Roman von Ungern-Sternberg, the Mad Baron of Mongolia, may still be alive and kicking in TL-191. Since the White Russian Forces came out victorious in the Russian Civil War, he may have found success in the war in the Far East. It would be interesting to see him as tank commander of some kind.

030501EB-3BAA-4F61-A51A-3D662FCC07AE.jpeg

^^^——— Baron Roman von Ungern-Sternberg.

However, there is also a high possibility that he may have been executed in this timeline too, just like in ours. See, in the Russian Far East, army units loyal to the Tsar were heavily outnumbered. Red Army units from Siberia and Red Mongol units vastly outnumbered Ungern’s Asiatic Cavalry Division in Mongolia. Not only that, but he greatly over-estimated the people’s willingness of these lands to join him. He styled himself as more of a “king-maker” and was a hard-line monarchist, loyal to the Tsar. Had he succeeded, it’s very likely Mongolia would be firmly under Imperial Russian influence, some thing quite a few mongols would regret. He was also an extremely harsh leader, and morale suffered for it. Events that led to his capture involved his men mutinying against him.

Now, although the idea of him being alive and being a general in the Tsar’s army is highly appealing to me, the odds against him remaining aren’t great. Events in western Russian and in Siberia during the Civil War would to go very differently in his favor for him to live on.

in TL-191 is Erwin Rommel been still around while he is been a famous general of German Army with his Afrika Korps had beaten the British Forces in Africa.

in TL-191 is Erwin Rommel been still around while he is been a famous general of German Army with his Afrika Korps had beaten the British Forces in Africa.
So, for TL-191, Irving Morrell is pretty much this timelines closest equivalent to Rommel in terms of fame. Of course he’s an American.

As for the actual Erwin Rommel? He’s probably still around, unless you see him dying on the Isonzo Front in the Great War. Though, in this case, he likely doesn’t have the same fame he enjoys in our world. Hitler for example is mentioned to be around as well, but was merely a corporal of no note.

All this is just guess work though. Turtledove doesn’t allude to him in the books as far as I can tell. It’s likely that he is still a commander of some kind. As for him fighting in North Africa - unlikely, since the Italians are a neutral power, there is no reason for a *North Africa* Afrika Korps. He could be anywhere in the world really.

did Featherston created a Unit 731 expy for some *cough* *cough* Human Experimentation on African-Americans for bioweapons and medicine of course as a golden rule dont search or Google Unit 731 due to gruesome pics and vivisections.

As for the actual Erwin Rommel? He’s probably still around, unless you see him dying on the Isonzo Front in the Great War. Though, in this case, he likely doesn’t have the same fame he enjoys in our world. Hitler for example is mentioned to be around as well, but was merely a corporal of no note.

Italy remained neutral in the Great War, so if Rommel is dying anywhere, it would be on the Western Front between 1914-1916 or in Romania in 1917 (assuming Romania still joins the war in this timeline). Assuming he survives the Great War, he would probably still write his book, Infantry Attacks, which were based on his experiences as a stormtrooper, but there would be significant differences between our version of it and this timeline's version, since Chapters IV to VI were about his experiences on the Italian Front.

Rommel probably enjoys a status as a minor war hero since he was a huge risk-taker during the Great War, but I'm not sure if he'd become the officer we see in our timeline.

did Featherston created a Unit 731 expy for some *cough* *cough* Human Experimentation on African-Americans for bioweapons and medicine of course as a golden rule dont search or Google Unit 731 due to gruesome pics and vivisections.
Don’t believe it was ever said so in the novels. That said, you wouldn’t even have to do much create a confederate Unit 731, just push things like the Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment a little harder.

I brought this up in the Filling the Gaps thread, but OTL America has a long history of unethical human experimentation and exploitation on the grounds of "scientific discovery" (often on the poor, racial minorities, prisoners, etc). It’s not hard to imagine that same history of unethical experimentation continuing in the CSA

Last edited:
Italy remained neutral in the Great War, so if Rommel is dying anywhere, it would be on the Western Front between 1914-1916 or in Romania in 1917 (assuming Romania still joins the war in this timeline). Assuming he survives the Great War, he would probably still write his book, Infantry Attacks, which were based on his experiences as a stormtrooper, but there would be significant differences between our version of it and this timeline's version, since Chapters IV to VI were about his experiences on the Italian Front.

Rommel probably enjoys a status as a minor war hero since he was a huge risk-taker during the Great War, but I'm not sure if he'd become the officer we see in our timeline.
Likely not, no. I forgot for a moment Italy was neutral in both world wars here. So yeah. He would be fighting on the Western Front or the Eastern Front.

I can least talk about the Mad Baron.

There is, in my opinion, a chance that Roman von Ungern-Sternberg, the Mad Baron of Mongolia, may still be alive and kicking in TL-191. Since the White Russian Forces came out victorious in the Russian Civil War, he may have found success in the war in the Far East. It would be interesting to see him as tank commander of some kind.

View attachment 659629
^^^——— Baron Roman von Ungern-Sternberg.

However, there is also a high possibility that he may have been executed in this timeline too, just like in ours. See, in the Russian Far East, army units loyal to the Tsar were heavily outnumbered. Red Army units from Siberia and Red Mongol units vastly outnumbered Ungern’s Asiatic Cavalry Division in Mongolia. Not only that, but he greatly over-estimated the people’s willingness of these lands to join him. He styled himself as more of a “king-maker” and was a hard-line monarchist, loyal to the Tsar. Had he succeeded, it’s very likely Mongolia would be firmly under Imperial Russian influence, some thing quite a few mongols would regret. He was also an extremely harsh leader, and morale suffered for it. Events that led to his capture involved his men mutinying against him.

Now, although the idea of him being alive and being a general in the Tsar’s army is highly appealing to me, the odds against him remaining aren’t great. Events in western Russian and in Siberia during the Civil War would to go very differently in his favor for him to live on.
I feel like a lot of the Russian Liberation Army guys would be big in the Imperial Army and a lot of this TL collaborators since they didn’t need to leave lol