Pangaea with an inland sea

Pinch of salt...

You're thinking of a Super-Caspian sea, rather than Black Sea or Med ??

Without an outlet, it gets saline. Some parts will get hyper-saline / dry up, like those unfortunate areas by Aral Sea, where blown salt poisons vast swathes...

Can you make it a Super-Lake Victoria, or Greater Lakes, with an outlet ?? Okay, perhaps make the cut akin to those nigh-impassable Himalayan & Chinese gorges ??

You know, I was just thinking of this thread, and bam, you go and bump it.

Thanks Dr. What, those 'exercises' seem to be working. :cool:

Easy they are at a certain depth, and occasionally they are by underground springs, or small ponds....it would be a natural phenomon, but isn't unheard of on a small scale.

There have been several papers published modeling the climate of Pangea which may help. Kutzbach was one of the authors, IIRC. Of course, these papers model the climate with the Tethys Sea, not a truly interior sea.

One of the big problems is a water source to maintain any interior sea, given the modelled desert climates (one paper predicted 50 degrees C or more). Even the Mediterranean dried up in the Miocene when it was land-locked.

How much of a difference would there be if Pangea (with an interior sea) made up 20% rather than 30% of the planet? The other 10 % would be small to mid size islands scattered over the rest of the planet.

All of Pangea can be on one tectonic plate with our earth's seismic activity? I think it can, anyone know?

Plates are not stable now and forever. They merge on occasion (Europe and Asa used to be on different plates) and also rift (Mexico almost rifted off the American plate at one point, and such a split is currently happening in East Africa. If the world was less tectonically active than Earth, it's possible the pangea would remain whole, but with earthlike conditions it's highly unlikely.

A central ocean is certainly possible, depending upon how different plates collide, but a 'ring' mountain system is geologically impossible unless all the mountains are volcanic and the planet has a very weird system of hot spots.

Oh, the *one* way I could think of to have land like this is a geologically inactive world that has a large continent uplifted on one side. Then, during formation, a trememdous asteroid hits it in the middle, creating a permenant central depression. Erosion turns the crater walls shallow over time, and rivers feed water into it. The impact perpenently jumbled the surrounding rock through shock waves, so that volcanic mountains periodically form slightly out from the old rim.

This is just science fiction you realise? Not even ASB.

Hey eschaton, I was thinking of an asteroid impact. I was trying to think how I could have it cause what I want. With all those volcanic mountains imagine how fertile the soil would be along the fluvial and delta plains! :eek:

Extreme thread necromancy! :eek::eek::eek:

Anyways, this is principally ASB, for reasons already described above (plates don't stay where they are). Earth is permanently changing. Even if we disregard that issue with the continents, this would butterfly away evolution of modern mammal groups. There would very likely still be placentals, but they might take an entirely different cause. Dinosaurs might not even go extinct altogether... and even they might not diversify in the same way as they did in OTL without the continents moving apart.

Hendryk

Banned
The actual Pangea could serve your purpose pretty well. All you need to do is ISOT several groups of people taken from the Stone Age all the way to the Permian.

Pangaea_%28230_million_years_ago%29.png

This world doesn't need to be tectonically less active than Earth. It could just happen that intelligent life evolved at a time when the various plates have joined together to create a supercontinent with a large enclosed sea.

EQ, people have bumped (Jan?) 2004 threads.

The actual Pangea could serve your purpose pretty well. All you need to do is ISOT several groups of people taken from the Stone Age all the way to the Permian.

Do you have a version with Pangea more compact and Tethys having one smallish outlet to Panthalassa?

Hendryk

Banned
Do you have a version with Pangea more compact and Tethys having one smallish outlet to Panthalassa?
Well, there's another possibility: go 250 million years in the future when a supercontinent will form once more. Here's a map of what Ultima Pangea could look like:

PangeaUltima_scotese_big.jpg

Well, there's another possibility: go 250 million years in the future when a supercontinent will form once more. Here's a map of what Ultima Pangea could look like:

PangeaUltima_scotese_big.jpg

just my opinion, but life in and around this inland sea will specialize, and perish with any slight Climactic/Biologic anomaly, such as a vigorous human presence, or the inabililty to allow for genetic change(?).

Seems like a really big fish bowl, with no chance for life to adapt to the overall world. It would have its moment, but ultimately stagnate.