Of Koopa's and Kremlings Redux

The Twilight of the N64 and the Sega Neptune Part 2

Earthbound 64: Similar in plot to the GBA game except a larger world and 3D graphics. Unlike in OTL, the game is never scrapped and resurrected on the GBA and instead the series continues onto the Nintendo Dolphin with Mother 4/ Earthbound 3.

crossroad.jpg

Fire Emblem 64: Unlike in OTL, Yokoi is alive and in control of his team and makes an outstanding JRPG that brings the series into relevance and critical acclaim in the west much earlier than Fire Emblem Awakening on the 3DS in OTL. The series is returning on the Nintendo Dolphin with Fire Emblem Path of Radiance. Released in Holiday 1999.

Tear%20Ring%20Saga%20-%20Yutona's%20Hero%20Quest%20(english%20translation)-2.jpg

Super Metroid 64: Another game directly related to Yokoi living in this TL, the game features a similar plot to Other M but since there is no Metroid Prime story line to ignore and the gameplay is much better it succeeds very well in transitioning Metroid to 3D graphics and control. With Yokoi in charge of Intelligent Systems and Sakamoto being supervised better the game is much better executed with much better results. Released in 2000

Super Mario 128: The swansong of the N64 with Conkers Bad Fur Day releasing in 2001, featuring much improved graphics over the original Mario 64, it featured a direct continuation of events in the first game and also featured Luigi as playable as two player co op multiplayer was also in the game. The antagonists were a combination of Bowser and the Koopalings and Wario and Waluigi also aiding Bowser as his incompetent human minions for hire whom cant seem to do anything correctly. The game also features Yoshi as a ride able character as he was in Super Mario World.

Generally viewed as the last great N64 game and a masterpiece akin to how many see Super Mario Galaxy 2 to Super Mario Galaxy 1

So major takeaways, Intelligent Systems is much more relevant with Yokoi still at the helm and has the power not to be directly under Miyamoto's supervision.

Kirby 64: Same as OTL Kirby game but releases Spring 1999.

Kirby Adventure 64: A fully 3D Kirby game not unlike the gamecube prototypes for the Gamecube in OTL. The transition to 3D for Kirby becomes much easier in this TL and a 3D Kirby is released in Fall 2001.

maboroshi02.jpg

The Kirby series is more active on the Dolphin and alternates between 3d and 2d. With Kirby Air Ride releasing for the Dolphin early on and Kirby Return to Dreamland (similar game as OTL) releasing Holiday 2003.

With Iwata remaining in charge of HAL Laboratory, Sakurai stays as well and the studio does not turn into chaos in this era as in OTL

The Twilight of the N64 and the Sega Neptune Part 2

Earthbound 64: Similar in plot to the GBA game except a larger world and 3D graphics. Unlike in OTL, the game is never scrapped and resurrected on the GBA and instead the series continues onto the Nintendo Dolphin with Mother 4/ Earthbound 3.

crossroad.jpg

Fire Emblem 64: Unlike in OTL, Yokoi is alive and in control of his team and makes an outstanding JRPG that brings the series into relevance and critical acclaim in the west much earlier than Fire Emblem Awakening on the 3DS in OTL. The series is returning on the Nintendo Dolphin with Fire Emblem Path of Radiance. Released in Holiday 1999.

Tear%20Ring%20Saga%20-%20Yutona's%20Hero%20Quest%20(english%20translation)-2.jpg

Super Metroid 64: Another game directly related to Yokoi living in this TL, the game features a similar plot to Other M but since there is no Metroid Prime story line to ignore and the gameplay is much better it succeeds very well in transitioning Metroid to 3D graphics and control. With Yokoi in charge of Intelligent Systems and Sakamoto being supervised better the game is much better executed with much better results. Released in 2000

So major takeaways, Intelligent Systems is much more relevant with Yokoi still at the helm and has the power not to be directly under Miyamoto's supervision.

Hahaha pretty nice but should have put Earthbound with kirby as both are HAL project, but nice that Intelligent Systems and RD#1 not collapse as bad as otl(to be reorganize into SPD and IS suffering of miyamoto draconian controlls) and yokoi kicking ass, taking name and making games, simple those game proved how potential and how thing were with the right butterflies, FE64 would gladly suffer of better focus and best vision(Tear Ring saga fans that is true, full of content not means good made, TRS have so hole and rough corners all the way) and yokoi can flip some table too,XD.

Metroid Other M proved Sakamoto needed of Yokoi to avoid him loss his focus and here was made with metroid 64.

Earthbound 64, your cancellation was so bad, hope here the game would be amazing and fitting of Shigesato Itoi Magnum Opus.

Super Mario 128: The swansong of the N64 with Conkers Bad Fur Day releasing in 2001, featuring much improved graphics over the original Mario 64, it featured a direct continuation of events in the first game and also featured Luigi as playable as two player co op multiplayer was also in the game. The antagonists were a combination of Bowser and the Koopalings and Wario and Waluigi also aiding Bowser as his incompetent human minions for hire whom cant seem to do anything correctly. The game also features Yoshi as a ride able character as he was in Super Mario World.

Generally viewed as the last great N64 game and a masterpiece akin to how many see Super Mario Galaxy 2 to Super Mario Galaxy 1

Nice to see it, taking concept of 64 DS and other mario game, and seeing Wario and Walugi early and doing thing was nice, pretty nice idea buddy(and the stealth pun, 64*2=128)

Kirby Adventure 64: A fully 3D Kirby game not unlike the gamecube prototypes for the Gamecube in OTL. The transition to 3D for Kirby becomes much easier in this TL and a 3D Kirby is released in Fall 2001.

maboroshi02.jpg

The Kirby series is more active on the Dolphin and alternates between 3d and 2d. With Kirby Air Ride releasing for the Dolphin early on and Kirby Return to Dreamland (similar game as OTL) releasing Holiday 2003.

With Iwata remaining in charge of HAL Laboratory, Sakurai stays as well and the studio does not turn into chaos in this era as in OTL

Wow as you Say, with Iwata at the Armchair and Helm, HAL will not only be better focused and lead, game will come much better and sakurai will do his work with Smash, Kirby and others, pretty good work, waiting what will come in next update

No update tonight everyone, been finishing my final papers today and getting tired of writing.

So tommorrows update will be part 3 in this series.

I believe it will have at least Atlus and Pokemon games

Uh... I know this. Not what I implied with my comment.

Sorry, though you were comparing OTL Smash 64 to TTL Melee

I was saying the OTL version still comes in this tl but with more characters/ stages
I will cover Melee in detail once I finish covering last gen (so two or three updates from now)

How Will Digimon work in this alternate history?

Star, What about Digimon...?!
It was made as a so-called Tamagotchi clone in 1997...i'm not sure if it worked or it will be butterflied in this ATL.

It was made as a so-called Tamagotchi clone in 1997...i'm not sure if it worked or it will be butterflied in this ATL.

Hmm, not sure about that, will think about it tonight while working on the update

Need to look into the franchise some

Etto Digimon can not be a cloned when made by the same enterpise(Bandai wanted to push it as tamagochi for boys, alongside tecmo the most early one to jump into pokemon clone bandwagon), but again Digimon was alongside monster rancher the first pokemon clone and maybe the only one who survived the better.

Again depend, will Nintendo-Bandai that double franchise(as nintendo love for multiple franchise who knew), will be still part of their toys push alongside anime-manga?

Pokemon N64

IGN: History of Pokemon on home consoles before the release of Pokemon Coliseum 2: Gateway to Darkness

The first Pokemon home console games were mainly spin offs inclding the puzzle game Pokemon Puzzle League, Pokemon Snap the addicting picture taking game of hunting to take pictures of Pokemon with expansion for new levels and areas off of expansion disc's.

The series got more interesting on the N64 with the two Pokemon Stadium games. Featuring connectivity with the Game Boy and Game Boy Ultra Pokemon games and fun minigames.

However, the series didnt get a proper full fledged RPG until 2000, Pokemon Coliseum: Darkness Falls

Region: Orre (Is a new region near Johto, inspired by the American Wild West)

Plot: Mysterious group is turning Pokemon into shadow pokemon. Pokemon who have had the door to their heart shut and plan to use these Pokemon for global domination.

Graphic Capabilities: Uses the N64 Expansion Pak in addition to being able to connect to the Game Boy Ultra games.

IGN Rating: 9.5/10

(Imagine Pokemon Coliseum N64 as Coliseum 0 covers the time period before the Gamecube Coliseum in OTL

We here at IGN are eagerly awaiting the next sequel due to release Holiday 2003.

In 1998, some designers at Bandai had designed a game concept called Digimon, but was quickly shelved due to being a pretty blatant rip off of Pokemon and thus redundant.

Last edited:
(cough) (cough)

Also, you killed off Digimon. Granted, I'm not a fan (I've seen some of the anime as a kid), but... why...

facepalm

Its fixed

Its killed for now it is possible it comes in alternate form later

I need to a Retro Studio/ Akklaim collapse update too

Reasoning being its too similar to Pokemon and with Bandai part of Nintendo there is no need for it

Next two updates: Retro/ Akklaim, Smash Bros OTL -> Melee -> ???

Hey thanks for reading by the way and commenting nice to have people comment on my TLs

You know, if you want to have an alternate form for Digimon, what if Nintendo repurposes it to be a rival to MegaTen for this time line, considering a lot of Digimon are inspired by mythology (basically a mythology-based mons game aimed at the narrower subset of teen gamers compared to Pokemon's more general audience), though in a different genre than the first-person RPG (maybe more like an FE-style game or a FFTactics style game? I notice Majin Tensei hasn't made an appearance, and I think Nintendo might pull out the lawyers this time if a blatant FE-clone with demons comes out on their rival's system). Maybe "Digital Monster Saga" would be the franchise's title.

You know, if you want to have an alternate form what if Nintendo repurposes Digimon to be a rival to MegaTen for this time line, considering a lot of Digimon are inspired by mythology (basically a mythology-based mons game aimed at a narrower, older audience), though in a different genre than the first-person RPG (maybe more like an FE-style game or a FFTactics style game? I notice Majin Tensei hasn't made an appearance, and I think Nintendo might pull out the lawyers this time if a blatant FE-clone with demons comes out on their rival's system). Maybe "Digital Monster Saga" would be the franchise's title.
Interesting, will think about that.

Thanks for the info

Digimon​

Digimon: After the success of Pokemon, Sega was frantically trying to find a valid competitor. They suddenly had a lucky break when a couple of freelancers formerly from Bandai brought them an idea for a game called Digimon. Basically, a direct competitor for Pokemon. After a few meetings, the freelancers were hired including Kenji Watanabe, Aki Morita and Katsuyoshi

IGN Interview
Maita: I think I was the first outsider who ever proved the Pokemon concept.
I can understand the success, the game seemed hard but when played was so simple and easy to play, the creatures dressing, how they battle and how have to be raised are all critical. However, they were always a little simple, they were simple warrior not 'friends'

Wild Bunch Studios: Reiko Kodama, co-directess, executive overseer, Aki Morita, Directress, Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Concept Artist, monster designer, Kenji Watanabe. Wild Bunch studios was mainly in charge of Digimon games

IGN: So that give you the idea of improving the Pokemon formula?

Maita: Not to say to make it better, but Nintendo seemed wanted to pursuit similar idea of my own tamagochi but my own concept seemed to primitive. Pokemon was pretty advanced and was the flagship of a new machine back then, my own son asked for Pokemon.

IGN: So how did you come up with the concept of Digimon to show to Sega?

Maita: I still wanted the idea of raising a simulation pet, who can tech children how important is in having discipline, manner and other, but then I remember seeing the ads of a game which impacted me... Shin Megami Tensei

IGN: As in Atlus's Flagship franchise?

Maita: Yes, I saw the ad on TV, how they showed a world in chaos and you as the hero controlling 'demons' and how using it as your partner of war and remembered both pokemon and it were that, partner of war, never mascot or friend, you only interact with them with issues, they were solider not friends.

Sega decided it may be a better idea to make an anime series of it first to see how it played in various markets followed by a toy line and then the game series. Thus, the game wouldnt be sent out to die without the backing of some momentum.

The handheld gaming wars really heated up in 1996 and with Atlus not wanting to focus SMT games on a handheld, the concept caught the attention of Reiko Kodama, a manager at the Sega owned Atlus.

Digimon Universe would launch on the Sega Pluto in 1998, and a home console version would release in 1999 Digimon World both games sold above expectations and a successful franchise was started. What the game did provide, was a flagship title for the Sega Pluto that was not a hardcore JRPG or sonic platformer.

Thanks to Nivek for making the interview portion and providing me with lots of information

Last edited:
Nice. Hmm, though with Atlus not wanting SMT games on handhelds, that kills the Last Bible series.

I think(don't know if count as word of dante), they refer to main-line esque games, they released for lauch the 'Strange Journey' to SMTIII in console but wanted to focus more in console to cultivate the fanbase(migrated from nintendo and new sega fans, plus those who liked SMT MEGA-CD port and Last bible game gear port) but put their bigger guns for consoles.

Remeber, the portable revolution(ds-psp-smart) will not happen until much later but Atlus would gladly port older games to much powerful handleds.

So what do you think of digimon, i was heavily surpse with their history and the necessaries butterflies(and how bandai was unable to properly reap digimon benefits besided the toyline)

I think(don't know if count as word of dante), they refer to main-line esque games, they released for lauch the 'Strange Journey' to SMTIII in console but wanted to focus more in console to cultivate the fanbase(migrated from nintendo and new sega fans, plus those who liked SMT MEGA-CD port and Last bible game gear port) but put their bigger guns for consoles.

Remeber, the portable revolution(ds-psp-smart) will not happen until much later but Atlus would gladly port older games to much powerful handleds.

So what do you think of digimon, i was heavily surpse with their history and the necessaries butterflies(and how bandai was unable to properly reap digimon benefits besided the toyline)

Huh? Since Atlus is owned by Sega ITL, if any Last Bible games were made ITL, then it'd only be the first ones since OTL LB I got released in 1992 for the Game Boy. Since the last post indicated Atlus had no interest in handhelds, plus with Digimon taking the mons niche in Sega's handhelds, that would kill the Last Bible series (no reason to cannibalize sales if Sega already has one mons game).

Huh? Since Atlus is owned by Sega ITL, if any Last Bible games were made ITL, then it'd only be the first ones since OTL LB I got released in 1992 for the Game Boy. Since the last post indicated Atlus had no interest in handhelds, plus with Digimon taking the mons niche in Sega's handhelds, that would kill the Last Bible series (no reason to cannibalize sales if Sega already has one mons game).

but Last Bible died in those days for low sales(the last game was a re-release of II for GBC) and later Devil Survivor take thier place alongisde majin taisen.

So Depend what atlus want.

Just to clarify, the "Last Bible" series is dead and not developed on Saturn or Pluto

Atlus wants to focus on their new Sega fans and bringing their old fans over with them thus they dont want to have to divide their attention to multiple platforms and porting old games as well

Notice: TL is on a hiatus til Sunday

Tomorrow is sisters birthday and then I am graduating college for my first two associate degrees (going for a bachelor in the fall)

Any requests? good time to ask so I can think about it while listening to long boring speeches by faculty