"Now Blooms the Tudor Rose."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Space Oddity

Damn, this is getting complex. Especially with so many families sticking to traditional names. Not to mention bigger continued messes.

Currently we have France, supported by England, the Papacy and some of the other Italian states along with the Turks in [very] loose alliance against the Hapsburg's, reasonably united and the Protestant states of the HRE [far less united]. Scotland by the sound of it is starting to implode and it looks like a rebellion of some sort is brewing in Ireland. [Although what ecclesiastical impacts that will have I don't know. Will the bulk of the rebels adopt something like Lutherism or take his [suggested] national ideas but still stick to Catholicism? How will the substantial 'old English' settler community get on and which side, if any will it choose.

Given the chaos of the alliances northern attacks, with Francois's attack heavily defeated I can't see Henry's advance into the Netherlands having any great success. On the other hand how are the Netherlanders going to react to having Philip as king?

Charles is going a few years earlier than OTL but then he has had a somewhat rougher ride TTL and he is probably very right that the overwhelming combined empire he controls is part of the problem. However he is an experienced and known factor, while also his relations with the German princes is decent at the moment. Not sure how any successor will have the same level of agreement.

Edward sounds like he's going to have interesting effects. Possibly good, possibly bad. Too much zeal for change and reform will ruffle a lot of feathers, even if he is technically right. Also he is only the regent so if/when Henry returns or gets reports from other sources of the 'problems' he is causing there could be strained relations between the two brothers. Also it depends on how Edward turns out. At worse you could have Edward turn into a Shakespearan Richard III, all plotting, treachery and possibly even eventually murder, or civil war if he seems a capable leader to some and Henry doesn't pay enough attention to his home base while off enjoying the war.

Also very convoluted in the Papacy. A pope who has some of his leading cardinals on the verge of rebellion, not sure how aware of this he might be. At the same time getting actively involved in the Franco-Haspburg conflict which could be bad for all concerned. Also will greatly complicate any counter-reformation as both sides include Catholic and Protestant powers.

Going to be a fascinating and I suspect a very bumpy right for most-all concerned.

Steve

What a mess! And I mean that in the nicest possible way. So many intrigues, so little time...

--In England, Henry IX heads out to get his war on, accompanied by his closest companions. (Arthur Fitzroy manages to sign on, despite the fact that he's supposed to be staying in England for his upcoming wedding.)

I've long been suspecting that in TTL, a few centuries down the line, rogue historians are going to have certain... theories about Henry and Arthur's "relationship". Now I'm sure of it.

To the surprise of virtually everyone, he names his brother Edward Regent.
Really? At only 14/15? That would be too young to reign on his own if he were King in his own right.

But it's also theology light, and (proto-)nationalism-heavy, depicting Luther as a man giving his all to freeing his land from the influence of foreign powers. Presented as something like that, many Irish folk can actually start to understand, and even sympathise with the Reformation.

Which is exactly what Fearghal wants.
One of these days, someone will write a timeline where the Irish peacefully accept English rule. I guess it'll be the day right after pigs start flying.

Henri himself does not impress his prospective son-in-law who deems him 'a mass of vanities and pretensions' who is 'all hollow beneath his finery'.
At least he seems a good judge of character. And a little more dignified than his father, however low that particular bar may be set.

The one woman who was keeping all hell from breaking loose in Scotland is dead. Now things really start to get out of hand...
This is probably what I'm looking forward to the most. How is Scotland going to get out of this one?

I can tell you're putting a lot of work into all this. Hopefully it's as much fun to plot out and write up as it is to read!

Great update.

It's looking like the next few updates are going to be pretty messy for almost everyone. Scotland in particular looks to be in trouble...

Very interesting developments SO, You're making me want to push my Law School casebooks aside so I can read up on my early modern Scottish History, so I can fully understand how the shit is about to hit the fan with the early death of Marie de Guise. Hmm, I have a feeling that something massive might happen in England as well with both Henry and Arthur abroad fighting against the Hapsburgs, especially if Henry doesn't return. But I do agree with Steve that, having Edward evolve into a sort of Shakespearean Richard III, would be hella cool, so perhaps we should have Henry IX stick around for awhile....Keep it comming:D

Damn, this is getting complex. Especially with so many families sticking to traditional names. Not to mention bigger continued messes.

Yeah. I do have a few oddballs planned in the future, but right now, I'm dealing with the fact that the present heads of Europe aren't people to leave a winning formula.

Currently we have France, supported by England, the Papacy and some of the other Italian states along with the Turks in [very] loose alliance against the Hapsburg's, reasonably united and the Protestant states of the HRE [far less united].

Less united on doctrinal matters. On the importance of kicking Turkish and French ass they are unanimous.

Scotland by the sound of it is starting to implode and it looks like a rebellion of some sort is brewing in Ireland. [Although what ecclesiastical impacts that will have I don't know. Will the bulk of the rebels adopt something like Lutherism or take his [suggested] national ideas but still stick to Catholicism? How will the substantial 'old English' settler community get on and which side, if any will it choose.

All shall be revealed--though I will state that Ireland is going to continue to boil and bubble for a while. (Though I will add this--even though Fearghal admires Luther as a man, he is not a Lutheran.)

Given the chaos of the alliances northern attacks, with Francois's attack heavily defeated I can't see Henry's advance into the Netherlands having any great success. On the other hand how are the Netherlanders going to react to having Philip as king?

At the moment, they accept this--it's pretty much long been expected, after all. But of course, Philip is... Philip.

Charles is going a few years earlier than OTL but then he has had a somewhat rougher ride TTL and he is probably very right that the overwhelming combined empire he controls is part of the problem. However he is an experienced and known factor, while also his relations with the German princes is decent at the moment. Not sure how any successor will have the same level of agreement.

Ferdinand is also a known quantity, and has demonstrated in Bohemia and Hungary that he can be trusted to respect religious differences. Of course, he does have a grudge against the League for killing his son, but he's a smart man who knows how to keep things under control--he won't indulge it during a war, when the League's support might prove crucial.

Edward sounds like he's going to have interesting effects. Possibly good, possibly bad. Too much zeal for change and reform will ruffle a lot of feathers, even if he is technically right. Also he is only the regent so if/when Henry returns or gets reports from other sources of the 'problems' he is causing there could be strained relations between the two brothers.

Let me put it this way--Henry picked Edward for a reason. He knows his brother fairly well, and knows what he's getting by leaving him in charge.

Also it depends on how Edward turns out. At worse you could have Edward turn into a Shakespearan Richard III, all plotting, treachery and possibly even eventually murder, or civil war if he seems a capable leader to some and Henry doesn't pay enough attention to his home base while off enjoying the war.

Edward and Henry will have a very interesting relationship.

Also very convoluted in the Papacy. A pope who has some of his leading cardinals on the verge of rebellion, not sure how aware of this he might be. At the same time getting actively involved in the Franco-Haspburg conflict which could be bad for all concerned. Also will greatly complicate any counter-reformation as both sides include Catholic and Protestant powers.

Needless to say, the fortunes of Pope Pius and Cardinal Carafa are going to be detailed in the future.

I've long been suspecting that in TTL, a few centuries down the line, rogue historians are going to have certain... theories about Henry and Arthur's "relationship". Now I'm sure of it.

Henry has quite a few bromances in his life, so yes, the rumors are definitely going to be there.

Really? At only 14/15? That would be too young to reign on his own if he were King in his own right.

Well, I did say it was a surprise. ;) Most people really saw this as a symbolic appointment that would lead to rule by the Council, with Edward as the figurehead.

That stated, we tend to assume a uniformity in these things that did not exist at this time. Henry VIII came to power at the age of 17, with no regent--though one can argue that Wolsley served a roughly similar function--across the Channel and at a later date, Charles IX's mother Catherine held power throughout his reign, even though he 24 at the time of his death. A king's minority lasted until he had the political ability and will to make it end--for some that came earlier than others.

At least he seems a good judge of character. And a little more dignified than his father, however low that particular bar may be set.

Henry may be a tad egotistical, but he's got reason to be--he is a sharp, brave individual, and as opposed to his great rival Philip of Spain, and his "buddy" Henri, he doesn't really have daddy issues and a massive inferiority complex to deal with. It's hard for him to avoid noticing that even though he's got a smaller nation to work with, he's simply a lot more on the ball than either of them.

I can tell you're putting a lot of work into all this. Hopefully it's as much fun to plot out and write up as it is to read!

Thank you. It is. Join me in the near future for 1553, where Scotland goes absolutely nuts, Edward Tudor sells a house, Emperor Ferdinand fights the wily Turk, Duke Francois attempts to settle a grudge, and Henri makes a mistake.

Less united on doctrinal matters. On the importance of kicking Turkish and French ass they are unanimous.

But the League does have a growing doctrinaire split that could be rather distracting.

All shall be revealed--though I will state that Ireland is going to continue to boil and bubble for a while. (Though I will add this--even though Fearghal admires Luther as a man, he is not a Lutheran.)

Could be interesting and while Fearghal isn't Lutheran possibly quite a number of other readings might have other thoughts.

At the moment, they accept this--it's pretty much long been expected, after all. But of course, Philip is... Philip.

:D Probably not a great danger while he's leading their defence against an invasion but afterwards that could get difficult, especially when the talk comes to taxes and religion.

Ferdinand is also a known quantity, and has demonstrated in Bohemia and Hungary that he can be trusted to respect religious differences. Of course, he does have a grudge against the League for killing his son, but he's a smart man who knows how to keep things under control--he won't indulge it during a war, when the League's support might prove crucial.

That tolerance would be useful but the problem of son could be a difficulty once the war is over.

Let me put it this way--Henry picked Edward for a reason. He knows his brother fairly well, and knows what he's getting by leaving him in charge.

Edward and Henry will have a very interesting relationship.

Well, I did say it was a surprise. ;) Most people really saw this as a symbolic appointment that would lead to rule by the Council, with Edward as the figurehead.

That stated, we tend to assume a uniformity in these things that did not exist at this time. Henry VIII came to power at the age of 17, with no regent--though one can argue that Wolsley served a roughly similar function--across the Channel and at a later date, Charles IX's mother Catherine held power throughout his reign, even though he 24 at the time of his death. A king's minority lasted until he had the political ability and will to make it end--for some that came earlier than others.

Henry may be a tad egotistical, but he's got reason to be--he is a sharp, brave individual, and as opposed to his great rival Philip of Spain, and his "buddy" Henri, he doesn't really have daddy issues and a massive inferiority complex to deal with. It's hard for him to avoid noticing that even though he's got a smaller nation to work with, he's simply a lot more on the ball than either of them.

Those comments suggests that they could possibly be a very formidable combination. Going to have problems in Ireland and also the mess that it sounds like Scotland will be in will be awkward. However if Henry could get ideas about glory in Europe out of his head there could be a very profitable period ahead for England.;)

Needless to say, the fortunes of Pope Pius and Cardinal Carafa are going to be detailed in the future.

I look forward to that with interest.:D

Thank you. It is. Join me in the near future for 1553, where Scotland goes absolutely nuts, Edward Tudor sells a house, Emperor Ferdinand fights the wily Turk, Duke Francois attempts to settle a grudge, and Henri makes a mistake.

The rest sounds fairly likely, if not virtually certain in some cases;), apart from having lost touch with who Duke Francois is. However that comment about Edward is intriguing.

Steve

What house could Edward Tudor be selling? He can't plan on selling Westminster or the Tower they are the seat of Royal power and have been for centuries.

What house could Edward Tudor be selling? He can't plan on selling Westminster or the Tower they are the seat of Royal power and have been for centuries.

Aracnid

I have this sneaky feeling that it could refer to him doing something to undermine what [relatively little] power Parliament had at the time. Could be totally wrong here and I hope so.

Steve

I can't wait to see if there are more substantial clues to the young King Henry's "manly conquests";) on the continent, maybe if a rumor spreads to Henri's court, it might prove to be the undoing the Anglo-French alliance...ending Henry's bethrotal to Elizabeth of Valois. Also what is the late Mary Tudor's only son...John Christian up to in Denmark? I know he'd still be a child at this point ITTL, but if he shows the right kind of Tudor skill, he very well could end up as King of Denmark given the elected monarchy system...Can't wait for the next installment SO:D

I can't wait to see if there are more substantial clues to the young King Henry's "manly conquests";) on the continent, maybe if a rumor spreads to Henri's court, it might prove to be the undoing the Anglo-French alliance..

Now, don't go putting words in my mouth! ;) Henry, like a lot young kings--indeed, like of a lot of young men--likes to surround himself with a bunch of male friends, and this lends itself to a certain sort of mockery by his enemies. And that will occur. But how much substance is there in the mockery? Probably not much.

--Scotland is in chaos. Its former Regent, Marie de Guise is dead. Her assassin, the mad Earl of Arran, languishes in prison. The powerful Earl of Angus is in open rebellion--a rebellion brought on by his botched effort to kill the afore-mentioned Earl of Arran. And Marie's brother, Claude, Duke of Aumale, pauses from his efforts to bring Angus to justice to try and grab the reins of power, while asking his brothers' to send him any troops they can spare.

Claude's logic is simple--Scotland needs a firm hand, and as the Queen's on-the-spot uncle, he's perfect for the job. But Aumale fails to understand the Scottish government. It is up to the Lords to name a Regent, though getting them together at the moment would be difficult for any man--and impossible for Aumale. The French Duke is increasingly looked on as a foreign tyrant, here to slake a boundless love of domination. (This is incredibly unfair to Claude, a quiet, self-effacing man whose actual motive--family obligation--is something almost any Scottish Lord could understand.) His treatment of Arran clenches this--a powerful lord, he has been imprisoned, and deprived of trial. Worse, the man is clearly mad--visitors state that he seems to believe that he is now King of Scotland, that his imprisonment is to keep him safe from "enemies", and that he will shortly be coronated. To hold such a man responsible for his actions is a travesty--especially when he happens to be a Peer of the Realm. But the enraged Duke of Aumale is beyond caring about such niceties.

However, other enraged people care about them very deeply. Argyll's loose-knit league of Protestant Lords meet again in Edinburgh--but this time it's not to feel things out, but to take a stand. Aumale is already exceeding any authority he may rightfully possess--if this is not nipped in the bud, it may be too late, both for Scotland, and the True Faith. Quickly gaining control of the capital--largely because nearly everyone there agrees with them--the Lords issue their demands. Aumale will cease proclaiming himself Regent, and render the Queen and Princess Antoinette to the protection of the Lords. Aumale will render the Earl of Arran to the custody and the judgement of the Lords. And finally, Aumale will dismiss his forces, and depart from Scotland.

Aumale's response to the Lords is terse. He is the Regent, by his niece's appointment, and they are in rebellion against the throne. If they continue in this course of action, he will forced to act against them. He also notes that as Scotland is clearly too dangerous for his nieces, he is sending them to France.

The game has begun.

--Ireland sees two events of note as the year begins. One is that the Seymour brothers, who've both gradually become significant men in the conquered territories, cap a lengthy history of informing by informing on each other. Thomas states that Edward has been embezzeling funds, and running protection rackets. Edward states that Thomas is behind the embezzelment and the protection rackets, and also states that his brother has been "indulging in most cruel practices on women" on the side. Unfortunately for Thomas, his brother is better at making charges stick, and so Thomas Seymour finds himself dancing the hempen rope. Edward returns to England, where he will live out the rest of his days a wealthy, but loathed, man, dying an old man with children who hate him.

The second event gets a great deal less notice--Donal Fearghal arrives in Dublin, accompanied by a small circle of associates. Ostentiably there to put the finishing touches on the Gaelic New Testament they're printing--a full Bible will follow as swiftly as possible--Fearghal and his "apostles" have been given the permission to spread the Protestant faith in Ireland. One would say that England has no idea what a viper it has nursed at its bosum--but there are no snakes in Ireland.

--Emperor Ferdinand--okay, technically, he's Emperor-Elect Ferdinand, with some elements of the Imperial bureaucracy grumbling that all this is HIGHLY IRREGULAR--and King Philip both get ready for the upcoming conflict. In Philip's case, this involves meeting with his military leaders, and sending his new wife to Spain for her own safety. Neither Maria or Philip are happy about this, but still, they hope to be reunited shortly, and they have a hope that she's pregnant. (She isn't.)

For Emperor Ferdinand, in addition to the war preperations against the Turk, and future war preparations against France and the "rebellious" Italian states, he has a mound of elected positions to gain for his son and heir, Ferdinand II. He is to be Crown-Prince of Bohemia, Hungary and Croatia, and King of the Romans, all of which requires arm-twisting, bribes, and politicking. Young Ferdinand bears up with it as best he can, but he finds it wearying. Quiet, pleasant and devoutly Catholic, Ferdinand is painfully aware that he's the replacement for his brother in all things--position, rank, and even wife. Ferdinand Senior is aware of his son's difficulties, and even sympathisizes--his namesake has always been his favorite. But this is about the dynasty. Personal choices must come second.

Finally, in a rather amusing little scandal, the Imperial Papal Nuncio Ciocchi has acquired a handsome young street urchin, who is now serving as the Cardinal's... ahem... secretary. The whole thing serves as a distraction in a court that finds itself dealing with very grim matters. [1]

--Barbara of Hesse arrives in England, and meets her husband-to-be. Her initial impressions are quite good--Edward may be a dour, bookish Calvinist policy wonk, but he's a good-looking, dour, bookish Calvinist policy wonk. Edward finds the time to say something pleasant to his fiancee, and then gets on with something more interesting to him--raising the money to pay for Henry's annoying little war. And Edward is well-suited to the task--the spiritual offspring of his royal grandfather, he is fast demonstrating that he knows how to squeeze coins until they drip gold. Among his many efforts is the successful sale of that royal white elephant, Nonsuch Palace. This is a pleasure for Edward, and a relief to Henry, who, despite his respect for his father, regarded the damn place as an unliveable, unlikeable burden. The buyer is Gregory Cromwell--eager to display his family's wealth--who recieves it on the understanding that he will complete the huge, but yet unfinished building. For most people, this expenditure is more proof that Gregory is not the Cromwell his father was. Of course, as Paulet notes, Henry's managed to find HIS Cromwell. And even better, he's family.

--Turning to the afore-mentioned war, Henry's army turns back another, LARGER Imperial/Spanish army, this one lead by King Philip himself. It's a fairly significant victory, and Henry celebrates by having another portrait of himself in battle gear painted, this time standing on a torn and tattered Spanish flag. He sends it to his young fiancee, Elisabeth Valois, who accepts it with as much dignity as an eight year old can muster. Arthur Fitzroy and Robert Dudley both distinguish themselves during the battle--Henry puts them on the short list for the Order of the Garter.

That stated, Henry is getting annoyed--the planned invasion of the Low Countries has been delayed to make up for the Duke of Guise's little disaster. In fact, Francois is requesting English troops to assist him in "securing his flank". Henry has his misgivings, but Francois de Guise--despite being hot-headed, and rigidly Catholic--is many things is sovereign is not--courteous, charming, and in fact, rather dashing. He manages to charm Henry despite his doubts, and so Norfolk is sent out with Guise (Arthur Fitzroy quickly dashing along), while Henry and Anne Montmorency plan the upcoming assault on the Low Countries. To Henry's boundless disgust, Henri II is spending much of his time holding jousting matches, and leaving his generals to actually fight the war. He even invites Henry to try a match against him but the English King begs off--he enjoys plenty of sport, but mindful of his father's misfortune, avoids that pasttime. He also privately suspects that Henri wants to heap a little coal on his head--the French monarch's skill with a lance is in fact somewhat legendary. And all of that just adds to Henry's distaste for the man. As he notes to Robert Dudley and Henry Carey one evening over drinks, there is something seriously wrong with France if 'so worthy a man as the Duke of Guise is under the authority of so great a fool as Henri Valois'.

Francois de Guise agrees with that on occasion, but generally he's actually managed to get the situation to go in his favor.

--In Poland, celebration is in order--after over five years of marriage to King Sigismund Augustus, Barbara is finally pregnant. [2] Sigismund and his wife are overjoyed, and even the Sejm is warmed to think of a proper Jageillon heir. Even if said heir is going to be half-Radziwill.

In Vienna, Emperor Ferdinand notes all this with displeasure. Keeping the... unruly Kings of Poland in the Hapsburg orbit has been project of many decades of work, and Sigismund Augustus is proving to be the most difficult yet.

--In Italy, the Duke of Alba finds himself on the retreat, facing attacks from Florence, Savoie, and the newly-fielded Papal army. Outflanked, and badly outnumbered,it's a testament to Alba's skill that he makes his foes fight him for every inch of territory. Savoie writes to his brother-in-law, and while he is guardedly optimistic, ultimately he takes a realistic view. He's won great victories against Alba--and the newly-embarked on siege of Genoa, meant to support the invasion of Corsica, is also going well--but he needs more men if he's to hold what he's won--the French line is badly overextended. While that isn't a problem now, it could be in the near future. "The war goes well--but 'tis not won, and if it is not well-handled, it never will be."

Henri ignores this request. The fighting in Italy seems almost finished in this Italian war--it is clear to him that Hapsburg Burgundy is going to be the major front. And he likes Francois de Guise a lot more than Emmanuel Philibert--in fact, he's planning on naming the de Guise Marshal of France shortly. The Duke of Savoie is going to have to make do for the time being.

King Philip meanwhile IS trying to fulfill Alba's requests for more men, but it's hard. Pius' entry into the war turns Naples--Spain's road to Northern Italy--into a bloody battleground, as those sworn to the King of Naples duke it out with those sworn to the Pope.

--John Frederick the Elder and John Frederick the Younger head out with their forces to their respective fields of battle. The Elder heads to aid Emperor Ferdinand against the Turk in Hungary, while the Younger goes to Cleves, and from there, onto the Low Countries. Accompanying the young Wettin are his brother, John William, Duke Augustus of Saxe-Weisefallen, and Margrave Albert of Brandenburg-Kulhmbach. John Frederick the Elder is accompanied by various senior members of the League--Duke Albert of Bavaria, Philip of Hesse, Elector-Palatinate Frederick, and Elector Joachim of Brandenburg, among others. Father and son embrace before their departure to the wars, not knowing that it will be the last time they will see each other alive.

--French and English ships, under the leadership of Lord Admiral John Dudley, Earl of Westmorland, and Admiral Gaspard d'Coligny engage a Spanish fleet near Brittany. The result is a lopsided victory for the allied forces--the Spanish Navy as a whole is perhaps the most formidable in the world--but also has commitments all over said world. Much of their attention is absorbed with the Meditterraean front, where Andrea Dorea is trying deal with France's Ottoman-assisted invasion of Corsica, and so there efforts on France's northern coast have been desultory at best.

--Savoie isn't the only man whose request for troops is being ignored--Aumale is told by his elder brothers' that soldiers simply cannot be spared now. This disappoints the the Duke, though he understands their reasons, and quietly moves to remedy his situation. A peace feeler is sent out to the Earl of Angus. He is in revolt as a result of his efforts to kill Arran, and now Aumale feels the only tragedy is that he didn't get the vile lunatic. Aumale states he will give the Earl amnesty for the killing of John Hamilton, IF Angus will support him 'against these wicked rebels against the Queen's rightful authority.' Angus is of mixed feelings about this--the Douglases are, as a Clan, rather suspicious of the French--seen as the muscle of the Lowlanders--and Angus is a Protestant to boot, albeit a rather lukewarm one. But Angus is an ambitious man. He realizes getting Aumale in his favor now could be the start of... well, something big. As in David Douglas, King of Scotland big. And so, after some consideration, he agrees. Much of his kin are less enthusiastic about this--most notably Angus' younger brother James Douglas, a far more devout Protestant than he. [3] But Angus is head of the Clan. For now--they follow him.

--The Imperial army, and its Schmalkaldic allies hit Royal Hungary. The Turks are surprised by the numbers and force of the Imperial response, and as a result are swiftly forced back. At this point, Emperor Ferdinand and the Protestant Princes confer. Ferdinand faces a conundrum--he genuinely feels that this may be an excellent time to reverse the Ottoman juggernaut in the Balkans--however, he is expected to head to Italy to assist his nephew's position there. In addition, he is rather wary of fighting the Pope with the most prominet Protestant organization in Europe at his back. The League is likewise lukewarm about the Italian front, where, as opposed to Burgundy, they have few interests. And so, a deal is reached--Ferdinand and his army will continue on to Italy, while the League will take the fight to the Turk.

None realize that this amicable agreement will lead to a great deal of squabbling in the near future.

--The Lords of the Congregation, as they're calling themselves now, send their reply to Aumale, stating that his appointment is a lie and that they are in no way bound to his authority. Further, they state they will look on any attempt to remove the Stuart sisters from Scotland with hostility. Aumale was in truth expecting this sort of defiance--they have the capital, after all--and prepares for a fight.

His first order of business is getting his nieces out of the country. He sends Queen Mary and Princess Antoinette out with John Erskine, one of the few Scottish noblemen who are loyal to him. Erskine's instructions are simple--he is to escort the sisters to Perth, where they will lodge, and then afterwards to Fife, where they will board a ship to France. Unfortunately for Aumale, the Lords have spies in Stirling, and learn about the plan. Erskine's party is overtaken on the road by a small force lead by the formidable Lord Ruthven, and the escort swiftly scattered, with Erskine dying in the assault. Mary and Antoinette are taken back to Edinburgh, to the former's relief, and the latter's disappointment--the Princess REALLY wanted to go to France. Several days later, Queen Mary issues a declaration that Aumale is to stand down and acknowledge the authority of the Lords. Aumale naturally ignores this. This is a blow, but he has just recieved word that the Earl of Angus has accepted his deal, which means he still has an excellent chance of victory.

--In France, Henri has two bits of good news--the birth of a daughter, who will be named Marguirete, and the rapid conclusion of the siege of Genoa. The volatile Ligurian Republic has always been prone to factionalism, and is filled with people who bristle at its de facto master, the formidable Andrea Doria, with many seeing his continued support of the Empire in the face of ascendant French power to be sheer folly. Realizing that their moment had come, a group of dissatisfied nobles--including several clandestine Fieschi supporters [4]--seize power, and order the garrison to stand down. The new government of the Genoan Republic, headed by a returned Ottobuono Fieschi [5], cheerfully signs a treaty of perpetual friendship with the French, and recognizes French rule of Corsica, in return for free use of its ports. Emanuel Philibert's hopes that this magnificent victory will get him more support from his feckless brother-in-law are sadly disappointed--it has only more firmly rooted the idea in Henri's head that Savoie is in need of no more assistance. Indeed, it inspires a further plan--Henri orders to the Duke to attack Parma, held by Ottavio Farnesse, former-Emperor Charles son-in-law.[6]

Meanwhile, the Hamilton family, fearing that the assassination of Mary de Guise might result in some blowback, flee France for Poland. Among those who go are Margaret Douglas, mother of the Earl of Arran, and Arran's brother Claude.

--Former-Emperor Charles--though, technically, some elements of the Imperial bureaucracy insist he's still the Emperor--arrives in Spain, and after a visit to his ailing mother, Johanna the Mad, heads to the monastery of St. Yuste, where he will spend the rest of his days.

News of his grandfather's arrival excites his young namesake. Prince Charles is eager to speak to his grandfather again, and manages to enlist his cousins Carlo and Alessandro in an attempt to escape the palace for a visit with the old man. (The Farnesse brothers quite frequently find their better judgment collapsing in the face of Charles' rather overwhelming personality.) As the young runaways continue their journey, Charles constantly reassures the brothers that their grandfather will be overjoyed to see them, thus nullifying any chance of punishment, and that this will all be a cheerful adventure.

In a surprising display of ability, they make it to the outskirts of Madrid before they're apprehended, sent back to the palace, and of course, punished, albeit fairly mildly. Charles' considers another attempt, but an attack of his quartain fever curtails this--though it does bring his cousins back into his orbit as they are sent to console the ailing young Prince. Charles quickly enlists them into his NEXT madcap scheme--building a small catapult. This will prove more successful than the attempted visit, and result in something the Palace staff will dub 'the Day of Rotten Eggs'. But that is another story.

--In Corsica, the aging Andrea Doria, valiantly fighting to keep Genoese possession of the isle, recieves the grim news that not only is he no longer being reinforced, but that his government of the Republic has fallen. He and his family are now exiles. Realizing his position is now hopeless, he and his followers flee to the safety of Sardinia. Doria, old, defeated, and now shunned by the city he has served so ably, dies during the voyage--appropriately enough, of a heart attack. [7] It is a tragic ending to a magnificent career. The body and bones of Andrea Doria, one of Genoa's most famous citizens, will rest forevermore in Sardinia. Philip arranges suitable shelter for them, and then grants Doria's grandnephew Giovanni Andrea Doria the title 'Viceroy of Sardinia'. It is a rather paltry consolation when you get down to it, but it is something.

Meanwhile, the French name former Corsican exile Giordoan del Orsini the isle's governor.

--Papal forces lead by Florentine commander Gian Giacomo Medici repulse the Emperor Ferdinand's army in its initial approach over the River Po. [8] Pius arrives back in Mantua to triumphant cheers. Even the Reformers find themselves strangely enheartened by this victory. Cardinal Carafa remains stonily unmoved, and even conspires to embarass the Pope an effort that he hopes will provide ammunition for his plan to remove Pius. As the Pope signs off on Cardinal Servini and Morone's latest reform plans, Carafa brings to his attention a "vital" matter--the arrest for heresy and sodomy of Marc Antoine Muret--better known as Muretus--a French humanist who specializes in Latin verse. This charge is aimed at directly at Pius--Muretus is a friend, and in fact, has arrived in Italy under the Pope's patronage. [9]

Unfortunately for Carafa, Pius is a much smarter man than him. (Not terribly difficult--Carafa is dedicated and forceful, but not overly bright.) He's well aware of the Cardinal and Inquistor's plotting against him, and has simply been waiting for Carafa to overextend himself. The Pope insists Carafa detail the charges and produce his evidence--Carafa does so, demonstrating to the entire Council that the whole matter is based on the flimsiest, most circumstantial proofs. Pius dismisses them out of hand and dresses down Carafa, warning him not to let his zeal to lead him astray. Carafa refuses to take a hint and talks back to the Pope, telling him not to let his position lead him to consider himself immune to charges of heresy. Pius--rather amazed at Carafa's folly--seizes his chance, and bans Carafa from the Papal Court--the Cardinal is now considered a persona non grata in Rome and Mantua. Later, conferring with the Council, Pius strips Carafa of his leadership of the Inquisition, which is then handed to Cardinal Giovanni Angelo Medici, [10] a far more amiable figure. (He's also Gian Giacomo Medici's younger brother, in a rare bit of positive nepotism.) Carafa stews in his exile, battered, but, he swears, not beaten.

Pius then finds himself dealing with a missive from his former patron. Henri II has thought matters over, and has decided he wants to found a French Inquisition, for which he will need the Papal blessing. [11] Family friend or not, Henri's asking the wrong Pope at exactly the wrong time--not only does Pius have the bothersome example of Carafa fresh in his mind, but the circles he travels in these days look askance on the Spanish Inquistion--which would naturally serve as a model for Henri's French knockoff--seeing it as an overly political body too much under the thumb of the Spanish King. Pius writes back to dissuade Henri noting that Inquisitions as a rule, 'do much harm, and little good'.

--The joint English-French force reach their destination, where de Guise reveals the plan--attack Cleves. Norfolk is bitterly offended at this--worse, the defiantly Protestant Norfolk and the ardently Catholic Francois have been arguing incessantly, holding, as Arthur Fitzroy notes, 'too much muchness to ever find each other good company.' With its leaders at odds, any chance the attack has of success is quite minimal, even before figuring in the rather sizable Schmalkaldic army into the equation. And so, John Frederick the Younger achieves yet another rout, capturing both English and French leaders. (Arthur Fitzroy handles himself with courage, taking a glancing wound on the arm.) The young German Prince is rather startled to find Englishmen opposing them, but responds by treating his captives to several days of feasting, and then releasing them with no charge. The French are not so lucky--de Guise in particular must wait several months in custody before his ransom is paid. And so, the incipient Guise/Wettin feud grows.

--Schmalkaldic forces in Hungary march on Esztergom, the old capital that preceded Buda, now serving as the center of an Ottoman sanjak. They settle down for what turns out to be a lengthy siege. Finally, after three months, the League takes the city. It is a bittersweet victory--the League had hoped to take the city quickly, and then move on to Buda, but that plan is now finished. Worse, the redoubtable John Frederick the Elder takes a wound during the siege, and by the time the city is taken, is horrifically ill. On being told that Esztergom is now theirs, the dying Duke is escorted inside, marvelling at the city's lovely architecture. There, even as his son enjoys triumph in the West, John Frederick the Elder expires, noting sadly that he has not fulfilled his ambition of freeing Buda from the Turk.

Suleiman, preoccupied with his war against Persia, considers the loss of Esztergom a nuisance, and nothing more. On the whole he considers the war a good investment, as it has seen the gaining of Tripoli--"I have extended the reach of my right hand, at the cost of the tip of my beard," he notes. Still, he feels it is best to quit while he is ahead. Emissaries are sent to the League and the Emperor, suggesting an official truce. Both grab it eagerly.

--Henri is rather miffed by Pius' response to his request for a French Inquisition, which he views as vital to defending France from the looming threat of Protestant heresy. Like most of Henri's "ideas" this originates in someone else's skull--several someone else's in this case, among them Diane de Poitiers and Francois de Guise. De Guise is especially bitter about it, convincing Henri that this latest botched attack on Cleves is the responsibility of the Protestant English, who he claims fought half-heartedly, and surrendered at the first opportunity. Protestants cannot be trusted, repeats the Duke, and with the Empire's reconciliation to the heretics, it's clear that now, instead of being the fifth column by which the Valois can cause trouble for the Hapsburgs, they are now the fifth column by which the Hapsburgs can cause trouble for the Valois. Henri is easily convinced by this line of thinking--he has long felt uneasy about the Protestant faiths. While his efforts at starting up a French Inquisition stall, the heresy court he started, which has so far done little but throw a few sops to the Catholic extremists, comes to a terrifying life, with many Huguenuts facing charges.

Henri's new hard line causes many disturbances at court. His wife, Catherine de Medici, reminds him that his future son-in-law is a Protestant, but Henri ignores Catherine as a matter of course. (He has half-convinced himself that Henry, while a schismatic, is not a true heretic, and thus, acceptable. This argument involves a great deal of wilful ignorance on his part, but Henri Valois has no lack of that.) A more surprising rift opens between the Guise brothers--Cardinal Charles de Guise is very much on Pope Pius' side, and rather fearful of an Inquisition starting up. Aside from being fairly convinced that such an action will do nothing but let loose fearful violence and civil strife in France, he is concerned that such an organization might start setting its eyes on senior churchmen with humanistic leanings, moderate Reform sympathies, and a history of patronizing controversial artists. Such as, for example, Cardinal Charles de Guise. Why can't Henri just follow Emperor Charles' example and adopt something like the Peace of Augsburg? [12] Francois usually willing to follow his brother's lead on these matters, finds himself chiding the Cardinal for his willingness to make peace with heretics.

All of which has lead Francois to reconsider the Scotland matter, and begin to whisper words to his King on it...

--Turning to Scotland--facing a choice of the Lords of the Congregation and the Duke of Aumale, most Scots tactily choose the former, especially after they acquire Queen Mary. But it is a conditional support, resting on the Lords' continuing to hold the initiative. And there are holdouts--Clan Douglas, most prominently has fallen in with Aumale, but many Catholic lords are nervous about the Lords of the Congregation. They fear their place in a government dominated by such a strongly, blatantly Protestant group. But that said, many have apprehensions about Aumale. And so, even as the Lords spread their influence, Aumale finds himself finally gathering a small collection of Scottish followers, while some towns declare for him, or (more commonly) stay neutral.

Thus, the Earl of Angus arrives to find Aumale has collected a good army of his own. This cheers Angus, who has faced increasingly restive followers, including his brother James. The discovery that Aumale has lost the Queen has made many suspect they've chosen the wrong side. Angus has managed to keep them from open revolt, but it is a near thing. After a brief meeting, Aumale quickly decides to cheer his motley alliance with a swift execution. The Earl of Arran is dragged out from his cell. To the horror of many onlookers, he seems to believe this is his coronation, and reacts accordingly, making rambling nonsensical speeches, and oaths to serve the nation well, even as the executioners prepare. However, at the last minute, Arran seems to realize what is happening, and bursts into tears. The weeping Earl refuses to put his head on the block, and must be forced into position. He dies struggling. The execution is a debacle--several men in the crowd actually try to force their way up to the Earl to rescue him as it goes on. While Aumale and Angus are satisfied by it, no one else is. Many of Clan Angus and Aumale's supporters quietly desert in the night. This is disheartening, but Aumale is soon able to give his ally good news--more French troops are finally coming.

--John Frederick the Younger discovers that his father is dead, making him merely 'John Frederick'. Germanic custom divides lands amongst the heirs, though the Wettins--like many other high-ranking families--have taken to getting around this by granting one son most of the territory, and the others small appanages. In this case, John Frederick recieves the lion share of lands, and the Electoral dignity, while his brother, John William becomes the Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. John Frederick mourns his father, while preparing to honor his legacy with further war against the King he has dubbed "Ahab", Henri Valois.

--In Calais, Henry Tudor is livid. He discovered the whole truth of the matter at Cleves from a letter from his sister after sending Norfolk out, and has naturally followed this by discovering about Guise's second defeat. (He and his brother-in-law have been writing letters of apology for the whole affair to one another for some time.) The King of England storms about, and threatens to box the ears of anyone who mentions 'that rascal Machiavell Guise' to him. In quieter moments, he states that it is tragic that a man should mar so many good gifts with such a bad nature. Add to this the tales of the King of France's heresy court, and Henry is left with an undeniable feeling that he's on the wrong side. Arthur Fitzroy is sent back home to England, to recover, and marry his fiancee. Henry's disillusion with this war has almost reached its peak--when King Philip manages another attack in French territory. English troops AGAIN repulse Spanish forces, though the battle is bloody. Henry's friend Robert Dudley is severely wounded, dying shortly thereafter, with the King at his bedside. For Henry it is the last straw. Emissaries are sent to the Emperor and the King of Spain. England wants out of this war. And he also sends instructions back to London, and abroad involving--certain matters.

--The Lords of Congregation react with horror and loathing to tales of Arran's execution--even Mary, who has little cause to sympathize with her mother's mad killer, calls it 'barbarous and cruel'. (Little Antoinette is as usual, an outlier.) Aumale's blunder is only increasing support for the Lords--and they recieve more good news. Ralph Sadler has been dancing on a thin line--not exactly denying support for the Lords, but not fully endorsing them either. That is over--the English ambassador announces that his country is now completely behind the Lords.

--As the year comes to a close, London sees the magnificent double wedding of Edward Tudor, Duke of York, and Arthur Fitzroy, Duke of Sommerset and Richmund to their respective brides, Barbara of Hesse and Lady Jane Grey. (The double wedding is Edward's idea, part of it to save costs.) Despite cold weather, London sees throngs of celebrants, many eager to see the couples. Arthur Fitzroy cuts a dashing figure as always--Edward, though handsome, manages to strike onlookers as cold and distant--a man going through the motions. But this matters little. Henry VIII's children and grandchildren are marrying. The line continues. The Tudors are here to stay.

-------------------

[1] He did something similar IOTL, though there he was Pope, and the young man was made a Cardinal. Needless to say, people found it considerably less amusing then.

[2] This obviously was not the case IOTL, where Barbara was two years dead by this time. Why is she still alive? Well, Barbara's death is a rather mysterious affair--if it was illness, then chalk it up to butterflies--if it was poison, then chalk it up to certain people seeing the weakened Hapsburg situation as requiring less drastic matters. As for the LENGTHY time it has taken for Sigismund to sire a child--while his sickly wives definitely played a part, Sigismund's lack of children despite three marriages and quite a few affairs do suggest a man with less than stellar fertility.

[3] OTL, he would go on to become Earl of Morton.

[4] The Fieschi were one of the leading families of Genoa for centuries, but in 1547, a botched conspiracy to unseat Doria resulted in their displacement. Doria's response was harsh, and indeed, he spent years afterwards clandestinely hunting down those who took part in it, and having them killed.

[5] A member of said-botched conspiracy, Ottobuono would be killed at Doria's prompting in 1555 IOTL.

[6] Farnesse was actually allied with FRANCE IOTL, but his more questionable standing ITTL caused Emperor Charles to handle his son-in-law more delicately. That said, Farnesse isn't allied to Spain and the Empire either.

[7] IOTL, Doria managed to fight off the French, even though he never managed to completely dislodge them. His death also came considerably later--however, Doria is a very old man and this news would crush him.

[8] A distant relative of THE Medicis--so distant, that he made his way up on his own merits.

[9] Muretus came to Italy considerably later, IOTL--but here, the promise of Papal patronage has brought him running. He also rather frequently faced charges of sodomy and heresy--in fact, one town burned him in effigy for it.

[10] OTL Pope Pius IV.

[11] Henri made this proposal in 1555 IOTL--Pope Paul IV--our friend Carafa--was so enthusiastic about it, he sent Henri a sword.

[12] Surprised? Believe it or not, at this stage in the game, Charles was a member of the Catholic moderates--though by the time the Wars of Religion rolled around, that had changed. Not that his position had hardened--it was simply that, by standing in the same place he was more on the Right than he'd been thirty years past.

Last edited:
Good stuff as always. :D

And Edward & Henry are promising to make up for my disappointment in not having OTL Elizabeth.

Quite capable young men, and ethical in the sense that means anything for royals of their day (see say, Charles V).

And God willing, his grandson. Philip deserves a son who will make him look bad.

:D

There is one big mistake:
According to this there was never a Margrave Albert of Brunswick-Luneburg. All Welfs have the title Duke of Brunswick and Luneburg and never Margrave of Brunswick-Luneburg. And there was not a single Welf named Albert in the 16th century (the last was Albert II of Brunswick-Luneburg, Archbishop of Bremen (died 1395), the next one was Frederick Albert (1672-73)).

I'm aware of this actually--I got the title wrong, and was planning on correcting before I posted, but forgot. It's Brandenburg-Kulmbach. (Which was centered in Bayreuth, and at one point acquired lands in Luneburg. The HRE. Gotta love it.) IOTL, he's best known as Albert Alcibiades, but the second part is a nickname--he'll be getting another one here. (Largely because he's not getting anything like the Margrave Wars to exploit and thus demonstrate his utter bastardry.)

Last edited:
Space Oddity

Well another detailed description of growing chaos.;)

Sounds like Henry will be changing horses, or at least getting off his current ride. Which with the Turks fairly happy with events seems to suggest that Henri's star has reached its peak and he has some rocky days ahead. Especially with internal conflict and possibly even a Anglo-Scottish friendship.

A bit surprised that Henry's army managed to defeat the Spanish twice on land as I think they were about the best troops in Europe at this point but seems a damned good performance. Hopefully it hasn't gone too much to the young king's head. [On the other hand he is a young, successful Tudor monarch:(:eek:].

I'm guessing the dispute between the League and the emperor is about the latter's effectively giving up the war in Hungary? Although since that leaves then able to concentrate on defending their own lands from the Catholic French monarch who is getting very unpleasant to his own Protestants I wouldn't have thought that was too unpopular.

Sounds like Scotland is heading for civil war but that the Lords will win it. Especially since if Henry does pull out of the continental war there will be both means and motive for sharply reducing French influence in Scotland. On the other hand we have another hint that Ireland is going to be a ticking time-bomb.:(

Also going to be messy in Italy with a fairly radical Pope and reactionary French monarch 'allied' against an Hapsburg emperor who is fairly heavily dependent on support from his Protestant lords.

Steve

What an epic post! Makes me feel better about giving a lengthier response.

--Barbara of Hesse arrives in England, and meets her husband-to-be. Her initial impressions are quite good--Edward may be a dour, bookish Calvinist policy wonk, but he's a good-looking, dour, bookish Calvinist policy wonk.

How typical - she falls for the moody hunk. Hopefully she isn't too empty-headed, or I doubt Grim Ned will pay her any attention at all.

And Edward is well-suited to the task--the spiritual offspring of his royal grandfather, he is fast demonstrating that he knows how to squeeze coins until they drip gold.
Always nice to see a Tudor who knows how to save money! England could definitely use one about now.

Arthur Fitzroy notes, 'too much muchness to ever find each other good company.'
I believe that's the first time we've seen Arthur Fitzroy express an independent thought. Nice to see he's capable of them! ;)

Henri's new hard line causes many disturbances at court. His wife, Catherine de Medici, reminds him that his future son-in-law is a Protestant, but Henri ignores Catherine as a matter of course. (He has half-convinced himself that Henry, while a schismatic, is not a true heretic, and thus, acceptable. This argument involves a great deal of wilful ignorance on his part, but Henri Valois has no lack of that.)
The way things are going, it looks like the delusions of Henri II are the only thing keeping this tripartite marriage pact chugging along. After all this, would Henry IX be willing to marry the daughter of a man he holds in such utter contempt? Not to mention, assuming the Protestants prevail in Scotland, would they let Mary actually wed a French, Catholic Prince, who stands an excellent chance of actually becoming King given his brother's ill health?

For Henry it is the last straw. Emissaries are sent to the Emperor and the King of Spain. England wants out of this war.
Well, he's certainly more pragmatic than his father - ditching his allies instead of the other way round. And with the Ottomans out of the war too, it looks like Henri is going to be out there all by his lonesome.

But this matters little. Henry VIII's children and grandchildren are marrying. The line continues. The Tudors are here to stay.
Three cheers for the Tudors! And you actually ended a post without a foreboding line for a change! Unless that was the foreboding line... :eek:

I really like the way you write the Tudors. They seem as close to an ideal family as you can get among 16th century royals (extended, in fact, what with Arthur Fitzroy and even John Frederick of Saxony). There's real trust and goodwill there. Here's hoping it sticks.

Good stuff as always. :D

Well, thank you.

And Edward & Henry are promising to make up for my disappointment in not having OTL Elizabeth.

Again, thank you.

Quite capable young men, and ethical in the sense that means anything for royals of their day (see say, Charles V).

More or less--they're both willing to be bastards, but never for shits and giggles.

And God willing, his grandson. Philip deserves a son who will make him look bad.

Young Charles has an interesting career ahead of him. And needless to say, he and his father are going to have a very rocky relationship.

Well another detailed description of growing chaos.;)

And, thank you.

Sounds like Henry will be changing horses, or at least getting off his current ride. Which with the Turks fairly happy with events seems to suggest that Henri's star has reached its peak and he has some rocky days ahead. Especially with internal conflict and possibly even a Anglo-Scottish friendship.

It will be no great spoiler to say that this marks France's high-water point in the war.

A bit surprised that Henry's army managed to defeat the Spanish twice on land as I think they were about the best troops in Europe at this point but seems a damned good performance. Hopefully it hasn't gone too much to the young king's head. [On the other hand he is a young, successful Tudor monarch:(:eek:].

The Spanish Tercio is indeed one of the most--perhaps THE most--formidable soldiers in Europe. That stated, Philip's army contains many more German mercenaries then Tercios at the moment, and he's been actively trying to preserve his Spanish troops so that he can use them with the greatest effeciency. So the forces Henry beat are not Spain's Finest.

I'm guessing the dispute between the League and the emperor is about the latter's effectively giving up the war in Hungary? Although since that leaves then able to concentrate on defending their own lands from the Catholic French monarch who is getting very unpleasant to his own Protestants I wouldn't have thought that was too unpopular.

No, that is not what the dispute's going to be about. As fired up the League was, losing John Frederick Senior and taking so long at the siege have sapped that fighting spirit.

Sounds like Scotland is heading for civil war but that the Lords will win it.

The Lords do seem to hold the field, though they are less strong then they might appear at the moment. That said, Aumale is badly out of his depth--he's a good second forced by circumstances to play first, and as a result, he's flailing around desperately.

Especially since if Henry does pull out of the continental war there will be both means and motive for sharply reducing French influence in Scotland. On the other hand we have another hint that Ireland is going to be a ticking time-bomb.:(

It's never been anything else.

Also going to be messy in Italy with a fairly radical Pope and reactionary French monarch 'allied' against an Hapsburg emperor who is fairly heavily dependent on support from his Protestant lords.

Oh, you have no idea.

What an epic post! Makes me feel better about giving a lengthier response.

Again, thanks. And don't worry. I rather like lengthy posts.

How typical - she falls for the moody hunk. Hopefully she isn't too empty-headed, or I doubt Grim Ned will pay her any attention at all.

I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to say this isn't going to be an overly happy marriage.

Always nice to see a Tudor who knows how to save money! England could definitely use one about now.

Edward's doing his best--that stated, wars are expensive beasts.

I believe that's the first time we've seen Arthur Fitzroy express an independent thought. Nice to see he's capable of them! ;)

Arthur, like Edward, is just coming into his own.

The way things are going, it looks like the delusions of Henri II are the only thing keeping this tripartite marriage pact chugging along. After all this, would Henry IX be willing to marry the daughter of a man he holds in such utter contempt? Not to mention, assuming the Protestants prevail in Scotland, would they let Mary actually wed a French, Catholic Prince, who stands an excellent chance of actually becoming King given his brother's ill health?

These are excellent questions, which will be detailed in later posts. But to give a quick summary now--Henry is definitely having second thoughts about the marriage--however, though he loathes Henri Valois personally, he's his mother's son regarding the idea of the French throne. France is the center of civilization, the most ancient and respectable throne in Christendom--a part of him can't help but feel that tying his line to this is worth having Henri as an in-law.

Scotland is more complicated. Part of what one must remember is that we're seeing all this from an eagle's-eye view. In the France court, there are murmurs about just how bad the Dauphine Francois' ill health really is at the higher circles--outside of those, most people know he's a bit sickly, but not much else. That said, some have their suspicions, and many in Scotland have become rather opposed to the match.

Well, he's certainly more pragmatic than his father - ditching his allies instead of the other way round. And with the Ottomans out of the war too, it looks like Henri is going to be out there all by his lonesome.

As noted, this is the highwater mark. France is doing much better in Italy, ITTL--not surprising, given they had a better start--but not as well in the Low Countries, as the Empire/Spain aren't being distracted by the Margrave's War. (Thus, Charles' "loss" of TTL's First Schmalkaldic War is actually helping him.)

Three cheers for the Tudors! And you actually ended a post without a foreboding line for a change! Unless that was the foreboding line... :eek:

Well, I like to shake things up. And as you seem to have noted, having the Tudors around for much--MUCH longer makes Europe... well, different.

I really like the way you write the Tudors. They seem as close to an ideal family as you can get among 16th century royals (extended, in fact, what with Arthur Fitzroy and even John Frederick of Saxony). There's real trust and goodwill there. Here's hoping it sticks.

Well, again thank you. Rest assured, the family will have its blunders, its tragedies, and its crimes, like any royal family. (Hell, you're seeing the fallout of a blunder--Henry is pretty much acknowledging that jumping on to support France was a big mistake.)

Status
Not open for further replies.