No warplanes

MrP

Banned
But they have practical military uses. How would one prevent 'em from being used in military operations?

I have to go with P on this one. You could delay their development several years, but some day, somebody's going to have a bright idea and will begin to use airplanes for military purposes.

In my Brighter Dawn TL, I've severely reduced the use of military aircraft by having better computers and radio technology paired with a delay in internal combustion engines.

Thus, by the time that warplanes become feasible, radar directed ant-aircraft guns with proximity fuses exist, shortly followed by anti-aircraft missiles.

With such a hurdle to climb before a usable aircraft can be implemented, the idea is aborted.

Say that airplanes don't get a break during WWI. Blame thande or stupid military leaders. Then aircrafts develop, but they are mainly seen as a civilian tool. The military gets interested but funding would get a problem so they deside that they would focus on using and converting civilian planes during war. It doesn't remove planes totally but it is enough to change the military plane.

I just don't see how it's possible for something as practical as the airplane to not be used by the military in some form or fashion.

Hmmm...

Okay this is a tough one. The best I can see is for the airplane to be a strickly recon tool. Say the German's make really good Anti-Air guns early on in the war, so the biplane is constantly in danger from the ground. The fact that AA is also useful agaisnt on coming infantry sets up the lesson that planes are for show and aristocrats, but AA will stop them everytime.

It seems difficult to have no a/c used as warplanes.
Even the role of recon is a military function.
Let's say that's all you started out to do - how long would it be until some one in one plane decided to take pot shots with a pistol at the enemies plane.
Then things would simply escalate (something like what really happened)
There are very few civilian concepts that haven't/won't lend themselves to a wartime role.

Grey Wolf

Donor
One of the pioneers of aeroplane development killed himself after seeing them used for death and destruction in the First World War . . . as usual his name escapes me; I'm pretty sure he was of Brazilian descent, but had done his work in France...

You could get some sort of idealistic agreement between nations not to use aeroplanes for warfare, and then have them miraculously stick to it - of course, as we have seen with agreements from no use of gas before WW1 to the modern Geneva Convention abuses, its one thing to get the powers to agree something and entirely another to get them to abide by it...

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

One of the pioneers of aeroplane development killed himself after seeing them used for death and destruction in the First World War . . . as usual his name escapes me; I'm pretty sure he was of Brazilian descent, but had done his work in France...

You could get some sort of idealistic agreement between nations not to use aeroplanes for warfare, and then have them miraculously stick to it - of course, as we have seen with agreements from no use of gas before WW1 to the modern Geneva Convention abuses, its one thing to get the powers to agree something and entirely another to get them to abide by it...

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Perhaps after an aeroplane accidentaly bombs a school or something?
Nations fear that if they militarise the air, then their rivals would do the same and their cities would be bombed into dust?

I don't see how it would to be honest, I mean just as happened in OTL (and mentioned previously) people would use them for recon, then would use them to shoot down the recon planes, then would build planes expecially for killing other planes...

WI planes were never used in war, but only in peacetime persuits?

Aeroplanes had a decade of peaceful development from 1903 to 1913, which saw rapid advancement in design and technology. The upcoming war only supercharged and compressed those continuing advances into a much smaller time frame.

Thus, by the time that warplanes become feasible, radar directed ant-aircraft guns with proximity fuses exist, shortly followed by anti-aircraft missiles.

Question for you, why would there even be anti-aircraft guns or radar if warplanes aren't used until later?

Concur

The military uses of aircraft began well before 1914.

Reconnaissance is NOT some sort of second-rate operation -- it was and is vital.

Once aircraft are capable of carrying Commandant Bargle to take a look at the situation faster than he can get there by horse, they become military.

Then, the movement to armed combat is ASAP, as some bright boy realizes that if you can use recon aircraft and deny the enemy the ability to do the same you start winning battles.