New World: A Different Americas

1280px-Civil_Ensign_of_the_Falkland_Islands.svg.png

Flag of the Dominion of Patagonia

Last edited:
Now, to figure out what Latin America is like. This region, while speaking either Spanish or Portuguese, has a wide array of histories, cultures and demographics, with the population ranging from overwhelmingly white like Rio De La Plata and California, to Mestizo regions like New Granada and Mexico to Indigenous areas like Peru and The Andean Federation. The politics and economies of these countries will vary as well, with some countries being stable, well off democracies, while others are corrupt and poverty stricken. My guess is that at least one or two of these countries would be under an authoritarian regime, whether it be on the left (OTL Cuba) or right (Pinochet's Chile).

Dominion of Patagonia
Capital: Port Desire (OTL Puerto Deseado)
Largest City: Newport (OTL Rawson)
Official Language: English
Demonym: Patagonian
Formation: 1908
Population: 3,650,000
GDP: 175 Billion USD/48,611 Per Capita
Currency: Patagonian Dollar
Driving Side: Right

Last edited:
Demographics of Patagonia
Population: 3,650,000
Largest Cities:

1. Newport (OTL Rawson), 1,175,000
  2. Luzern (OTL Bariloche), 485,000
  3. Neuenquen (OTL Neuquén), 330,000
  4. Port Desire (OTL Puerto Deseado), 170,000
  5. Sandy Point (OTL Punta Arenas), 145,000
Ethnic Groups: European (British, Irish, Scandinavian) 78%, Latin American (Platinean, Chilean, Andean etc.) 11%, Indigenous (Mapuche, Fuegian etc.) 7%, Other (Mixed, Black, Asian etc.) 4%.
Religious Groups: Irreligious 39%, Protestant 31%, Catholic 27%, Other (Muslim, Hindu, Sikh etc.) 3%
Fertility Rate: 1.86 (Irreligious 1.39, Protestant 2.13, Catholic 2.19, Other 2.26)
Under 18: 19.2%/Over 65: 14.3%

More ideas (and questions) for this growing universe:
  • The Dutch keep the Cape Colony, while the British found a waystation in Natal, so South Africa is split between a Dutch west and a British east (give me some more suggestions for Africa)
  • The Brits still colonize Southeastern Australia (New South Wales and Victoria at the very least), but Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia are up for grabs. Historically, it was explored by the Dutch, British (who later colonized it IOTL) and French, but the Dutch and French already have their settler colonies (South Africa for the Dutch and Louisiana for the French), and the British have more land in North America than OTL, as well as having their colony in Patagonia that I covered already. Who else could colonize it is anyone's guess. The Spanish? Portuguese? Germans? Italians? Japanese? Take your pick.
  • New Zealand is the same question, as IOTL is was explored by the Dutch, French and British, the latter of whom later colonized it. The same questions for Australia also apply here, as well as the possibility that it remains Maori.

More ideas, this time about historical European immigration patterns to English-speaking countries:
  • The largest destination of European migrants during the 19th and Early 20th century is Alleghenia, or OTL's Northern U.S. The abundant land, relatively short distance from Europe, republican government, religious freedom, strong industrial base and healthy climate (not too hot or too cold) make it a magnet for Europe's poor and huddled masses, with the largest sources of immigrants to Alleghenia being from Germany, Britain, Ireland, Eastern Europe, Italy and Scandinavia.
  • The British colony of Canada sees a fair deal of British and Irish settlers, mostly to Upper Canada (Ontario), as Lower Canada (Quebec) is already filled with French Canadians. Columbia is much the same, but with more German, Scandinavian and Polish settlers attracted by the farmland, as well as Mormons who were invited to settle the Columbia and Snake river valleys (OTL Idaho and interior Washington and Oregon), forming the largest population of Mormons in the world. Patagonia sees fewer settlers due to it's distance and lack of resources and farmland due to it's arid climate.
  • New England's largest sources of immigration are from England and Ireland, the Irish coming en masse despite facing prejudice due to their Catholic faith and the Irish arriving as an underclass. Virginia gets less immigrants than Alleghenia, but still sees many immigrants to industrial cities like Baltimore, Alexandria and Louisville, as well as farming settlement in the Ohio River Valley (I.E. Northern Kentucky). The Deep South, on the other hand, sees very little immigration, as the best farmland is taken up by slave plantations, and the rigid social structure, hot climate and authoritarian government are all turn offs for most would be immigrants.

Here's my idea for Spanish Florida.
  • The population is around 12-15 Million or so, smaller than OTL Florida, since there isn't the OTL massive migration from other parts of North America.
  • Ethnicity wise, a slight majority of the population is of European/Middle Eastern descent (Spanish, Italian, Greek, Lebanese), with large Black and Mulatto (please don't kick me for using that word) minorities, and smaller amounts of Indigenous and Asian inhabitants.
  • The GDP per capita is around 30,000 USD, give or take a 5,000 or so.

I'm currently working on a map of European (and Japanese) Empires circa 1900, but I will need some suggestions as to what happens in Africa, Asia, Oceania and Continental Europe. I've started work on the British Empire, with the British Isles, Gibraltar, Malta, Canada, Columbia, Caribbean Islands and Patagonia, Natal in South Africa, OTL New South Wales, Victoria and Tasmania in Australia and British India, but the rest is TBD, any ideas?

OK, just an idea for ya.
Would you like to see a German or Italian Australian Colony?
The Brits have OTL's American Northwest, Northern Plains and Patagonia to colonize, and the Dutch and French already have their Settler Colonies (South Africa for the Dutch and Louisiana for the French), and the Germans briefly colonized New Guinea IOTL. I don't think it's impossible to have seen a German colony in OTL's Queensland, nor is it impossible for Italy to have colonized somewhere in Australia (although I'd say it's more likely that the Portuguese or Spanish would have colonized Western Australia than the Italians, since both had colonies nearby, with the Portuguese having East Timor and the Spanish having The Philippines).
Despite that, I think it'd definitely be possible for either the Germans or Italians to have colonized Australia, as both nations had a large emigration during the Late 19th and Early 20th century, and with enough encouragement could have gone to Australia (free passage, free land etc.). So, what do you guys think about it?

Another question: Without U.S. intervention leading to Japan westernizing, it's likely that it would have been the British instead. So, does Japan ITTL become part of the British Empire?

OK, just an idea for ya.
Would you like to see a German or Italian Australian Colony?
The Brits have OTL's American Northwest, Northern Plains and Patagonia to colonize, and the Dutch and French already have their Settler Colonies (South Africa for the Dutch and Louisiana for the French), and the Germans briefly colonized New Guinea IOTL. I don't think it's impossible to have seen a German colony in OTL's Queensland, nor is it impossible for Italy to have colonized somewhere in Australia (although I'd say it's more likely that the Portuguese or Spanish would have colonized Western Australia than the Italians, since both had colonies nearby, with the Portuguese having East Timor and the Spanish having The Philippines).
Despite that, I think it'd definitely be possible for either the Germans or Italians to have colonized Australia, as both nations had a large emigration during the Late 19th and Early 20th century, and with enough encouragement could have gone to Australia (free passage, free land etc.). So, what do you guys think about it?

It would be interesting to see a timeline where Australia doesn't become a settler colony, but instead remains majority aboriginal.

It would be interesting to see a timeline where Australia doesn't become a settler colony, but instead remains majority aboriginal.
That'd be interesting, but Europeans colonized pretty much everywhere during the 19th century, and Australia wasn't gonna be an exception, at least after gold was discovered (the Brits still colonize NSW and Victoria ITTL).

I think that, overall, Europe will take a similar path up until WW1, but the result of WW1 could be very different without the U.S. (I know that the U.S. didn't enter until near the end of the war, but American reinforcements sure did help the Entente on the Western Front).