Nazi Germany Starts with StG 44

Germany starting WW2 with the StG 44 Assault Rifle would...

• Have had a major impact

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Have had a medium impact

Votes: 69 43.9%
  • Have had little to no impact

Votes: 66 42.0%

• Total voters

Deleted member 1487

Yeah but that is in September, I'm talking about June/July. Then there is nothing to defend. By then it's more or less to late anyway, have the Italians begin their advance in June and either replace Graziani or make him more aggressive and Alexandria has no defenders.

Just for an FYI I've drunk a couple of beers to many, what I'm still doing posting here just shows how stupid I really am. Though I am looking through some books when I post this, most of this is taken from Patrick Cloutier's 'Regio Esercito: The Italian Royal Army In Musslini's Wars 1935-1943'

That's the question though, what was the logistic ability to reach Alexandria at that point? With a small force blitzing on perhaps, but you need different personalities at that point. I don't think they had forces in place to be able to attack, it took until September to get enough forces together to push through British border defenses.

iddt3

Donor
I always find it hilarious that when you do a change to Nazi-Germany, Italy or Japan, then some posters will almost immidietly find a way to try and explain it so that it either has no effect or the opposite effect, that the western allies or USSR immidietly will know about, do research cheaply and instantanously with perfect intelligence and get something better almost immidietly and without problems.

Except there are numerous ways the Nazis *could* do better, but almost none them involve new wondertech. Standardizing the motor park for one pre war. Big possible improvement. Getting locomotives that can run on the Russian rail system. Big possible improvement. Rationalizing Industrial production earlier in the war, big possible improvement. What *won't* be an improvement is shiny, finicky new wonder weapons that further overextend the already patched together Nazi economy, provide minimal combat benefit, and in this case, have been around long enough to provoke an allied response.

If the question was "An ASB causes the Wehrmacht's entire supply of 98ks to be converted to StG 45s, and replaces and upgrades German factories to support it, in 1939, how big of an impact would it have?", then yeah, that totally would lead to a moderate improvement for Germany; No one has time to respond and it comes out of the blue and Germany has the infrastructural improvements to support it. But that *isn't* the question. Whenever one nation in the interwar period demonstrated some shiny new piece of kit, everyone else at least looked into how to counter it. In order to have an StG 44 analogue in 1939, Germany would have had to have been working on it long before, and have been gradually rolling it out. In that climate, it's just another invention for everyone else to respond to, and respond to it they will. Maybe not super well, but they'll at least look into it, so that by the time the battles in France play out, they'll probably have some countermeasures.

The truth is that Germany had issues arming its army with 98k's OTL, and the StG 44 is a good deal more difficult and expensive to manufacture, as well as having a higher burden in terms of ammunition consumption and parts and maintenance. Germany was also *constantly* running extremely close to the edge of economic collapse in the prewar period, and was effectively shredding it's economy during the war, such that even minor increases in the overall burden on the economy could have catastrophic consequences.

Says the guy with 19 posts and no history on the forum.

OH SICK COMEBACK.

Almost as good as saying anyone who points out how idiotic axis wanking scenarios really are suffer from PTSD. (Do you even think at all before just randomly blurting out words from the front of your skull)

....Because that makes so much sense.

Rubicon

Banned
OH SICK COMEBACK.

Almost as good as saying anyone who points out how idiotic axis wanking scenarios really are suffer from PTSD. (Do you even think at all before just randomly blurting out words from the front of your skull)

....Because that makes so much sense.
Mech you got me warned a couple of months back, no one else but me is stupid enough to rise to your baits.

Mech you got me warned a couple of months back, no one else but me is stupid enough to rise to your baits.

It's somehow my fault you got warned for not being able to argue a point at all? (and, funnily enough, weren't you trying to bait me into getting a warning and got mad when it backfired on you?)

I'm also amazed you even remember it at all, let alone apparently still upset about it.

Except there are numerous ways the Nazis *could* do better, but almost none them involve new wondertech. Standardizing the motor park for one pre war. Big possible improvement. Getting locomotives that can run on the Russian rail system. Big possible improvement. Rationalizing Industrial production earlier in the war, big possible improvement. What *won't* be an improvement is shiny, finicky new wonder weapons that further overextend the already patched together Nazi economy, provide minimal combat benefit, and in this case, have been around long enough to provoke an allied response.

If the question was "An ASB causes the Wehrmacht's entire supply of 98ks to be converted to StG 45s, and replaces and upgrades German factories to support it, in 1939, how big of an impact would it have?", then yeah, that totally would lead to a moderate improvement for Germany; No one has time to respond and it comes out of the blue and Germany has the infrastructural improvements to support it. But that *isn't* the question. Whenever one nation in the interwar period demonstrated some shiny new piece of kit, everyone else at least looked into how to counter it. In order to have an StG 44 analogue in 1939, Germany would have had to have been working on it long before, and have been gradually rolling it out. In that climate, it's just another invention for everyone else to respond to, and respond to it they will. Maybe not super well, but they'll at least look into it, so that by the time the battles in France play out, they'll probably have some countermeasures.

The truth is that Germany had issues arming its army with 98k's OTL, and the StG 44 is a good deal more difficult and expensive to manufacture, as well as having a higher burden in terms of ammunition consumption and parts and maintenance. Germany was also *constantly* running extremely close to the edge of economic collapse in the prewar period, and was effectively shredding it's economy during the war, such that even minor increases in the overall burden on the economy could have catastrophic consequences.

This thread as been, from the start, about the influence an early adoption of assault rifles by Germany would have on firearm development on other countries. it as never been a Nazi Wank of any kind, and there is no need for overreacting as if someone had just claimed that having assault weapons makes Sealion not just possible but easy.

In early WW2 allied mistakes were mostly on the operational level. Naturally allied AH focus on that. Axis mistakes were mostly on global strategy and armed forces development. Naturally AH focus on those, either through Mediterranean Gambits or thorugh alternate development paths for the armed forces.

The one thing that always annoyed me in AH is the repeated presence of OTL fundamentalist that go ballistic on even minor changes.

If you don't like Pz IV with HV guns in 1940 or something, there are excellent non AH sites were the L43 is punctually introduced at the correct OTL date.
AH is a great learning tool. Its a terrible place to try and prove one's right, because once you cross the POD, anything goes and that's the fun of it.

Rubicon

Banned
It's somehow my fault you got warned for not being able to argue a point at all? (and, funnily enough, weren't you trying to bait me into getting a warning and got mad when it backfired on you?)

I'm also amazed you even remember it at all, let alone apparently still upset about it.
You're adorable :D No I mean it you really am. Upset about getting warned? No, warry? Yes. I don't do the same mistake twice, so if you want me warned or kicked you'll have to do better then that.

You're adorable :D No I mean it you really am. Upset about getting warned? No, warry? Yes. I don't do the same mistake twice, so if you want me warned or kicked you'll have to do better then that.

I honestly couldn't care less if you get kicked, I just find it funny you're still mad over something that happened that long ago and forgot who you were until I checked the thread history.

You seem obsessed, In a creepy way.

Rubicon

Banned
I honestly couldn't care less if you get kicked, I just find it funny you're still mad over something that happened that long ago and forgot who you were until I checked the thread history.

You seem obsessed, In a creepy way.
You're so cute I want to pinch your cheek, to cheer you up have some KanColle Kongou-sisters nutery

You're so cute I want to pinch your cheek, to cheer you up have some KanColle Kongou-sisters nutery
xF82lbu.gif