Mexico between 1827-1832

Hey guys,

Could someone give me any info and an easy-to-understand overview of the history of Mexico between the years of 1827-32? Preferably I need to know about Mexican stability, reliance on any colonial powers and the US for trade, who it was friendlier towards with the European powers and the US, the government, the military of Mexico and lastly the stability of its northern territories (what the US got OTL from mexico.)

Thanks to anyone who can help :)

Stability? It's 19th century Mexico. The War of Independence was 1810-1821, and 2 of its first four post-independence presidents were executed. Spain made a (farcical) last attempt to reconquer it in 1829. It's run by persons of pure Spanish blood (although most of them were born in Mexico) who served in the Army during the Independence War, but they don't cooperate or get along and are unclear about whether they really want a Republic or a Monarchy, and how many rights they want to extend to people of Indian descent.

It owes Britain 6 million pounds and I'm not sure how much to France, and it hasn't tried to default on either yet so I suppose those are its friends. Spain should probably be counted its enemy, although of course there are still closet Royalists around.

The northern regions were virtually unsettled, which was why the USA wanted them; they contain a few army posts, a number of Missions, and hostile and unassimilated Indians. The civilian Spanish population is very low indeed.

Military - Mexico actually had one of the best cavalry forces in the world, definitely comparable to anything Europe field (surprise!) it has stinted on infantry and artillery, however, both in terms of equipment and training. Its infantry is frequently levy forces.

Could you be a little more specific about what you're looking for?

Stability? It's 19th century Mexico. The War of Independence was 1810-1821, and 2 of its first four post-independence presidents were executed. Spain made a (farcical) last attempt to reconquer it in 1829. It's run by persons of pure Spanish blood (although most of them were born in Mexico) who served in the Army during the Independence War, but they don't cooperate or get along and are unclear about whether they really want a Republic or a Monarchy, and how many rights they want to extend to people of Indian descent.

It owes Britain 6 million pounds and I'm not sure how much to France, and it hasn't tried to default on either yet so I suppose those are its friends. Spain should probably be counted its enemy, although of course there are still closet Royalists around.

The northern regions were virtually unsettled, which was why the USA wanted them; they contain a few army posts, a number of Missions, and hostile and unassimilated Indians. The civilian Spanish population is very low indeed.

Military - Mexico actually had one of the best cavalry forces in the world, definitely comparable to anything Europe field (surprise!) it has stinted on infantry and artillery, however, both in terms of equipment and training. Its infantry is frequently levy forces.

Could you be a little more specific about what you're looking for?
Thanks for the info, it's very helpful :)
If it helps I want to know this to have a general idea about Mexico during a war that may occur in the 1830s in my TL (see link.)

The only things I specifically need to know are what is the general size of the:
  • Infantry
  • Navy - Specifically around the Caribbean
  • Cavalry
  • Artillery, and
  • Naval Forts - Specifically around the Caribbean
Also I'd need to know how quick they may be able to field an army in the Northern sections and how effective they'd be in a war during the 1830's (for my TL in my sig.) Also how quickly could a large army be posted in the Yucatán peninsular.

Lastly how well would a migration program from 'central' mexico be to the Northern sections to stabilize them a bit?

Thanks for the info, it's very helpful :)
If it helps I want to know this to have a general idea about Mexico during a war that may occur in the 1830s in my TL (see link.)

The only things I specifically need to know are what is the general size of the:
  • Infantry
  • Navy - Specifically around the Caribbean
  • Cavalry
  • Artillery, and
  • Naval Forts - Specifically around the Caribbean
Also I'd need to know how quick they may be able to field an army in the Northern sections and how effective they'd be in a war during the 1830's (for my TL in my sig.) Also how quickly could a large army be posted in the Yucatán peninsular.

Lastly how well would a migration program from 'central' mexico be to the Northern sections to stabilize them a bit?

As stated already there is no stability in Mexico in this period. The 1830s could actually be the most unstable decade of all. This however might not necessarily be the case in your TL if changes had been made previously. But if you are sticking to the basic premise of instability assume that there is a change of president / coup every 6 moths or so. Who is rotating in and out at what time could actually have serious butterflies.

Specifically within the dates you requested there is the Spanish Intervention in 29, The Texan Independence in 36, First French Invasion (or Pastry War) in 38, and we end with the Mexican American War in 46. Furthermore the Caste War has been ongoing though most of this time peaking in 47. As you can see not a good time for Mexico.

Now as for the other details, the exact numbers are hard to find. Santa Anna did implement a draft which greatly expanded the infantry in numbers however most were unwilling, unpaid, and untrained. Don't expect much from the infantry.
The cavalry as said before was quite decent and actually one of the most "loyal" (to whom was in power) or at least cohesive parts of the military.
Artillery was very much non-existent. New Spain had a decently sized artillery at the time of Mexico's independence. However it has not been upgraded since. By the Mexican American war Mexico was still using mussle loading guns and hollow shells. Thus all the big guns Mexico has are outdated.
Navy same deal as Artillery the last upgrade was done when Viceroy Iturigaray built a small fleet to protect Veracruz from British incursions in 1805. Although New Spain counted with everything Spain had to offer Mexico lost it during independence.
Naval Forts, nothing to prtect the Caribbean. In the Gulf you have (from North to South: Corpus Christi (in Texas), Matamoros, Tampico, La Angostura, and Veracruz. Whatever is found in the Yucatan peninsula is a bit out of Mexico City's jurisdiction as Yucatan is in rebellion at the moment.

Hope thsi helps, more specifics number wise I can get them but it will take some time

Others have made some good points, but I would like to drive the point home. Mexico is extremely unstable in this period. It is very much focused on its internal political problems. Only Santa Anna would even consider a foreign adventure in this period.

Others have made some good points, but I would like to drive the point home. Mexico is extremely unstable in this period. It is very much focused on its internal political problems. Only Santa Anna would even consider a foreign adventure in this period.

Actually it was Paredes who declared war against the US. Santa Anna was in exile at the moment. Of course the moment Paredes declared war Santa Anna supporters, lead by Salas, made a coup against Paredes and re-instated Santa Anna.

Actually it was Paredes who declared war against the US. Santa Anna was in exile at the moment. Of course the moment Paredes declared war Santa Anna supporters, lead by Salas, made a coup against Paredes and re-instated Santa Anna.

Heh. I'm currently writing a timeline in which Nueva España survives, and seeing any info on Santa Ann's spastic power grabs and policies make me chuckle...:D
He pretty much epitomizes pre-1950's Mexican leadership to me.

Anyway,
NordicBrit, my timeline starts at around the same time as yours. If you want info or resources I'd be happy to throw'em your way.