May 1945, Quisling makes a run for it...

The hunt continues. I wonder, does Quisling hear the baying of hounds when he lays down to sleep at night?

At the very least Winford is looking at being cashiered and sent home in disgrace unless he finds some way of covering his...indiscretions. At worst, he could be hanged, thought I doubt that will happen.

I was somewhat mistaken - 38% of all ETO casualties and 35% of ETO KIA were Jan-May 1945. A few were in France, the rest in Germany. Data from

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-E-Supreme/USA-E-Supreme-E.html

About 1/3 of those were in January, but that still leaves 1/4 of the overall hits taken. The rate isn't that much less.

Good points. One good thing about writing these alternative scenarios is that you learn alot. Through your posts, I have learned that even after the Battle of the Bulge, the Germans fought very hard for the approaches into Germany and the Rhine.

It never ceases to amaze me how despite 5 1/2 years of war, staggering casualties and facing opponents with overwhelming recesources, the German military did not collapse and the Germans still were able to go down fighting on both fronts - three fronts if you count the Italian.

Last edited:
Good points. One good thing about writing these alternative scenarios is that you learn alot. Through your posts, I have learned that even after the Battle of the Bulge, the Germans fought very hard for the approaches into Germany and the Rhine.

It never ceases to amaze me how despite 5 1/2 years of war, staggering casualties and facing opponents with overwhelming recesources, the German military did not collapse and the Germans still were able to go down fighting on both fronts - three fronts if you count the Italian.

It should be remembered the same could be said for the French Army in 1940. After Dunkirk, they fought much harder and better with mostly second class troops against the German Army when circumstances had become quite hopeless.

As to 1945, the example of France in 1940 went a long way towards inspiring German troops to keep fighting on the Western Front until the Rhine River was crossed in great strength, After that, organized military resistance in the West mostly collapsed. Yes, there were circumstances where Allied troops briefly overextended themselves, and had become quite skittish not wanting to be "the last man killed", but for the most part German troops had become much more ready to surrender. During the destruction of Army Group B, the rush to surrender had become a stampede.

OTOH, Stalin bitterly complained to Eisenhower about the fact that the Germans were ferociously resisting at even minor tactical points on the Eastern Front while surrendering whole cities with little resistance in the West (frex, Munich, where military resistance collapsed after a failed Anti-Nazi coup among army troops in the city).

The Italian Front really shouldn't be counted, since it was mostly in a Sitzkrieg state until the closing days of the war, when resistance completely collapsed following an all-out offensive that left the German Army in Italy forced to crossing the Po River in a "Dunkirk" state, leaving most of their equipment behind, while their commanders negotiated a separate surrender to the Allies (including the Soviets).

The Italian Front really shouldn't be counted, since it was mostly in a Sitzkrieg state until the closing days of the war, when resistance completely collapsed following an all-out offensive that left the German Army in Italy forced to crossing the Po River in a "Dunkirk" state, leaving most of their equipment behind, while their commanders negotiated a separate surrender to the Allies (including the Soviets).

I dont think the Italian Front should count as a German collapse. The surrender (just days early) seems to have been brokered by senior German commanders in light of the hopeless strategic situation (Soviets in Berlin Suburbs) and, as you mentioned, the increasingly hopeless tactical situation. Had those same senior Germanders commanders, however, ordered resistance to continue, I think the average German soldier and the average German unit in Italy was willing to continue resisting to the best of their abilities.
It should be remembered the same could be said for the French Army in 1940. After Dunkirk, they fought much harder and better with mostly second class troops against the German Army when circumstances had become quite hopeless.
Thanks for the information, I was not aware of that either.

In regards to the Germans, I think the Westrn allies, and especially U.S. senior commanders were caught off guard by just how effective the 10 or so German last ditch Volkstrum divisions could be. I think one U.S. commander even ridiculed the average age of the men. Unfortunatly for the allies, however, many of the men were WWI veterans and were fighting WWI style defensive battles from fixed defensive positions. As a result, they were able to put up tremendous defensive fights in the Hutegren(sp) Forest, the Siegfried Line and probably the Netherlands.

Last edited:
All, thanks again for the compliments and the encouragement.

March 25, 1946...

The mathematical facts of life ala Winford are explained…

Investigator Abel Dahling, having been with the Oslo police for 15 years, most of which was spent chasing pimps and opium smugglers, really was an investigator. Now he explained that:

Winford + Admission he sold documents to Quisling = Winford loses everything
Winford + later revelation that he sold documents to Quisling = Winford still loses everything

Dahling explained Winford had nothing to lose and the team had little leverage in the equation: Sure Winford was corrupt, but they had no direct proof. Even then, after more than a few parties with U.S. officers, the Norwegians knew that “ration coupons in exchange for a "Blitz” “corruption was common in the occupation force. In addition, Winford was a U.S. officer and he could not even be questioned unless he agreed to it. Going to his superior officer would not lead to a "Quisling confession" by Winford. If his superior was also a black market dealer, then revelations that Winford was corrupt might well go nowhere.

Quisling hits the road again…

Quisling he knew he could not stay in Bolzano / Bozen / Balsan, South Tyrol long. His reception from Tyrolese German speakers (an insular group with a nearly incomprehnsible dialect in even the best of times) had been frosty. One of the unwritten rules of the status quo seemed to be that German speaking population in this part of Italy or “Italy” could only be native Tyrolese. Artificial additions or subtractions to that number were simply not in anybody's interest.

Quisling guessed that the mutual avoidance pact between the Italian paramilitary patrols and the Tyroleans was doubly applied for first class train passengers. After a week of discreet inquires, enjoying meals with real sized portions, and killing time in the German language library (not exactly a favorite hangout spot for off duty Italian police) Quisling armed himself with knowledge of key Italian phrases, and a first class train ticket. Checking out with the gruff Gust Haus owner, he strolled down to a café exclusively serving waiting first class passengers….

Winford’s Soft underbelly is exposed:

Investigator Dahling doubted that Winford was personally trawling for business. Rather, he had a partner and the investigators may have leverage with a partner, particualry one who was not in the American military. The arrest by the team (bordering on kidnapping) and the interrogation sans attorney and sans real criminal charges would never pass scrutiny in the west. Then again, Germany in 1946 was not “the west” in the truest sense.

In either case, Ingrid broke in the end, and when she did, she broke completely: Yes, a “business” associate” did strongly resembled Quisling, but only when multiple photos were studied at length. Yes, Winford had sold him documents. Yes, she and Winford had some additional dealings with him,- though she had not seen him in weeks.

Ingrid’s “Yes” answers stop

With a wry grin, Ingrid realized how little Quisling had told her of his personal life over the last winter. What she did not know, she simply could not tell. She knew his assumed name was “Hans”, she knew he had purchased papers from Winford, though he never mentioned exactly what kind. Quisling never even told her his assumed last name. Quisling always initiated the contact. And no, Quisling had never told her where he was living. When pressed for other details, Ingrid added that most of his referrals had been Sudentlanders and that at least on one occasion Quisling had asked if Winford could arrange the purchase of medical supplies.

Ingrid’s tale:
With new defiance Ingrid stared at the Norwegians, but she still accepted the offer of a cigarette. Ingrid related that had learned English while working for a firm selling precision machined parts in the United States. The war had cheated her out of a husband and had even cheated her out the status of being the widow of a fallen soldier (her husband, a mechanical engineer, had been given a draft exemption. He was then killed in the Schweinfurt ball bearing raids).

In response to a few more questions about Winford, Ingrid related that: Quisling was just one of several people black market contacts Winford had. Yes, Winford was a jerk. But all things considered, Winford treated her relatively well- even giving her a bonus for each profitable transaction she brockered. He also provided paid employment as a translator, quality rations, and well, male companionship- at least when he was not "blitzing" another woman. Lastly, she affirmed to Dahling that she truly did not really give a flying f--ck whether or not the Norwegians ever caught Quisling. Grinning at her honesty, Investigator Dahling ended the interview and pretended not to notice when Ingrid pocketed the pack of cigarettes on her way out.

Last edited:
I wonder why Dahling doesn't consider offering Winford some kind of immunity deal--in this case (Dahling is a cop, not a prosecutor, so he can't guarantee any such formal deal on his say-so) by offering to keep Winford out of the chain of evidence if he will cooperate in putting farther down the trail to Quisling. The Winford connection just won't appear in any of the documents presented to public trial, his name and the US Army's reputation stay completely out of it--as long as information Winford gives Dahling proves useful for getting his man.

From above, it is clear that there are limits to how much he can threaten Winford--but that's before he talks to Ingrid. Perhaps now Dahling will come back and show Winford the stick before offering the carrot?

Even though Dahling might hit a stone wall dealing with Winford and his perhaps equally corrupt immediate superiors, he does have some options, I'd think. He could report his findings and suspicions to his superiors and it seems quite likely to me King Haakon himself will take a keen and personal interest in tracking down Quisling; a letter from the Norwegian King to Eisenhower or General Lucius Clay or whoever is currently in command of the US occupation forces, perhaps in conjunction with a visit to HQ by a high-ranking Norwegian government official, will light some fires. True, the Americans don't rate Norway extremely high in their priorities, and perhaps it is also true that the image of Quisling is not burning as brightly in American minds as in British ones--but Quisling's name is infamous. To the Yanks he's another oily Nazi collaborator; unless he's doing them valuable favors they won't like him either. Whereas the King of Norway is famous for his stalwart allegiance to the victors' cause. He has friends in Britain, as do all the Norwegian soldiers, sailors and airmen who fought side by side with lots of British service people. I would think, however much petty corruption lines the seedy bottom levels of the US occupation forces, the high commanders would feel a personal gratification in nailing Quisling that would tend to offset any embarrassment they felt at the exposure of Yankee low-level graft.

Dahling doesn't have to actually write that report and set the wheels in motion--he just has to mention to Winford that he could, and let Winford do the "math" on how likely he'd be to avoid getting mashed in the gears if Ike or Clay or ....oh heck, to the GoogleMobile, time to do the Bloody Research..

Army Air Force General Joseph T. McNarney held the post of commander in chief, U.S. Forces of Occupation in Germany from November 26, 1945 – January 5, 1947. It's not clear to me whether this meant he also sat as the US top representative on the Allied Control Council or whether someone above him wore that hat but the former seems more likely to me.

McNarney then. I don't think that's a name Winford wants to hear from a Norwegian cop whose words are likely to be read by the King of Norway and from there relayed to Winford's top boss in the hemisphere. If he thinks Dahling might go that way, bye-bye anonymity! He'll get the book thrown at him--maybe not if the Americans decide to cover up their seedy side, but even then bad things might happen to his once bright future...

So then, if Dahling gives his word he'll leave Winford and his operation out of it, Winford finally tells everything he knows. That ought to move Dahling considerably closer to his target.

It is not going to be so easy for Dahling to operate in Tyrol though; unlike Germany and Austria, Italy technically changed sides and the current Italian government is not an Allied occupation authority; rather Italy is one of the second-rank Allies! In practice, this means Dahling will have to be canny, and find local Italians (even Tyrolians) who really didn't like the Fascist regime and therefore would be keen to help him track down Quisling. I bet even in Tyrolia he'll find a fair number of such dyed-in-the-wool antiFascists though he'll have to sort them out from the fake ones who doubtless greatly outnumber them now. Vice versa, Quisling will have some friends--though nowadays they are the ones who most recently had to learn to keep their heads down after the post-German-surrender witchhunt for collaborators and adherents of the so-called "Italian Social Republic." I'm sure some of them managed to weather that storm.

So in Italy it will be a matter of figuring out who is friend and who is foe. But Quisling probably can't count on staying there too long--he's radioactive. It is only a matter of time before someone, who either endured the Mussolini years in stoic silence or turned against the Fascists perhaps more recently but with some sincerity, to recognize Norway's would be "Duce" and sound the alarm.

If they don't just go round up a gang of buddies from the Resistance or anti-Fascist rising days and grab him and deal with him as they did Mussolini himself and half of his cabinet...it's kind of funny, considering that Quisling seeing posters comparing his upcoming fate to the deserts Mussolini got, that he'd wind up, in the course of fleeing for his life, in pretty much exactly the same place they caught the Italian dictator!:eek::D

So I hope Winford tells all and tells it quick, or that should the author think my suggestion that Dahling could or should go back and squeeze the sleaze like a grape is ill-advised or otherwise impractical, that the Norwegian gumshoe gets some other lead, fast. If he goes to Tyrol tomorrow it might already be too late--if Quisling has any survival instinct.

Thanks for the update. It is interesting how Quisling is moving, slowly, through Europe. Might be that his next move will be to try to get a visa to Africa or South America. That is if he is not caught. Might be funny if some border agent decides this man is just too suspicious and the house of cards starts to fall as the lies come out.

Thanks for the information, I was not aware of that either.

The French had finally (after the Ardennes Offensive began) begun to adopt the tactic of field-fortifying, allowing for some standard infantry formations to create "festungs" in the open field that increased their own defensive capabilities as well as at least one other division that could be matched up with these divisions. AFAIK, only the Soviets adopted these same tactics in WWII. These tactics could cause bloody noses for those enemy formations that attacked them directly, but they were also easier to bypass.

Even though Dahling might hit a stone wall dealing with Winford and his perhaps equally corrupt immediate superiors, he does have some options, I'd think. He could report his findings and suspicions to his superiors and it seems quite likely to me King Haakon himself will take a keen and personal interest in tracking down Quisling; a letter from the Norwegian King to Eisenhower or General Lucius Clay or whoever is currently in command of the US occupation forces, perhaps in conjunction with a visit to HQ by a high-ranking Norwegian government official, will light some fires. To the Yanks he's another oily Nazi collaborator; unless he's doing them valuable favors they won't like him either.

Good points, and thanks for the detailled information. You are right, once a solid lead is established, Quisling was a big enough fish and the Norweigans had enough clout to offically by pass any local obstruction and / or "I am too busy thinking of home or "blitzing" my local girlfriend to be actively looking for Quisling" type indifference.

Please stay tuned, I"ll get to work on it...
http://accordingtoquinn.blogspot.com/2013/11/more-entertaining-alternate-timelines.html

Guess who just made my blog?

I also sent the thread to a friend of mine deployed in Afghanistan who likes Villain Protagonist stories.

I am truly flattered. I even mentioned this to my wife. Unfortunatly, she has no appreciation for history and just gave me the: "Oh, uhmm... thats nice" type nod and response that is given to children.

Last edited:
Good points, and thanks for the detailled information. You are right, once a solid lead is established, Quisling was a big enough fish and the Norweigans had enough clout to offically by pass any local obstruction and / or "I am too busy thinking of home or "blitzing" my local girlfriend to be actively looking for Quisling" type indifference.

The longer Quisling is free the more his being free becomes too conspicuous to the authorities. A lot of big fish have already been caught, but Quisling is way too big a whale to slip through the net and get relocated to the USA, Argentina, or anywhere else except perhaps Spain.

^ All, thanks again for the suppport

April 05, 1946

Colonel Richardson sees light at the end of the tunnel….

Colonel Richardson and the 13th armored regiment, 1st Armored Division was finally going home. The entire U.S. occupation force was in the process of re-organizing- naturally to be finished by the end of April, 1946. Exhausted and homesick combat troops were finally to be rotated home and replaced by specially trained and designated constabulary regiments. Most of his unit's equipment had already been packed with the exception of light tanks and transport which was in the process of being cleaned and handed over to the shiny new Constabulary Cavalry Squadron

Quietly, Colonel Richardson whole heartedly supported the formation of the new units. U.S. combat troops– including him got to go home while new blood with specialized training would bring “consistency” and “regularity” to the occupation. In contrast to the news reserved for women’s sewing guilds back home, Richardson knew there had been problems in the occupation– how can you take hundreds of thousands of men into an enemy nation, end their combat mission, add boredom, mix in an enemy civilian population and then add more often than not, vaguely defined occupation responsibilities and not have a few problems?

The light dims…

Colonel Richardson’s head ache started within minutes of the meeting and grew as he continued. Stifling an initial effort to blame the bearer of bad news, Richardson let Aaberg continue. Of course, Richardson had noticed that the no fraternization order was quickly ignored. His admonishment to his men had been realistic – just don’t generate complaints from local women and don’t let dalliances turn into command issues. Now, Winford was fast becoming a command issue. The fact that he had extended his stay in Germany and would not be returning home with the 1st Armored Division was suspicion enough.

Colonel Richardson's light goes back on….

Given the evidence of a foreign investigators “hunch” and the word of a German, at the very least, he owed Winford chance to tell his side of the story. Noncommittally, Richardson thanked Colonel Aaberg. He would talk to Winford and then make a decision whether or not to review his probably poorly kept log books. In either case, he was going home and was going to turn the entire matter over to the new Constabulary commander, whose officers and senior NCOS had all received training in police matters.

The Italian trains run on time for Quisling….

Quisling silently credited his fellow fascist Mussolini for his efficient train trip – truly first class travel was the only way to go when you are on the run. Quisling, upon seeing that displaced persons could be seen as stability threats, used his Danish identity papers to purchase the tickets. Quisling’s trip down the Italian boot would require changing trains only once in Bologna and that would also be to another first class compartment. Fortunately, for Quisling’s stomach the efficient train did not go through Milan – way too many bad vibrations radiating from there. Quisling got off the train in Naples and walked to a hotel in the port area. He then received a shock…

April 13, 1945

Colonel Aaberg goes for the soft underbelly again:

After seven days and no response for Richardson Colonel Aaberg feared that Quisling would be tipped off. Combining three investigative teams into a small platoon, he planned a fast moving, all Norwegian effort. Dahling emphasized that criminal had a comfort zone that they rarely strayed out of. That meant that Quisling was probably in the same town as Winford and Ingrid. 4,000 displaced Sudentlanders lived in the town, mostly in aging tenements, some of which looked quaint on the outside, but had interior that had been crumbling for generations. Others lived in a series of temporary shanties by a former industrial yard, now a market. Aalborg’s men would search headquarters of the Sudentland aid association, the adjacent medical clinic, and the market. Registers of displaced persons would be reviewed and personnel at the aid association and clinic would be questioned, the market would be checked.

The Soft Underbelly gets hard…

The cascading events happened fast:– The surly responses of the neighborhood association’s leaders to Norwegian’s questions – assertions that they answered only to Americans. Then, a loitering 17 year old boy darted out of the building. This triggered a shout by Aaberg, a tackle by Lareson who was covering the outside of the building. This in turn triggered the boy to start shouting in rapid, dialect German which then drew a crowd...

The soft underbelly boils over...

The rapid growth and hostility of the crowd surprised everyone, even the Sudentlanders. A year of hostility boiled to the surface. First, the all encompassing expulsions by poorly disciplined and vengeful Czech militia – no doubt encouraged by the allies, then occupation. Now they were being shook down by a what – civilians from a formerly occupied nation seeking to what - to kidnap German youth for labor? Cobble Stones, crockery, glass bottles and wooden boards torn from market stall flew towards the Norwegians. The only thing not hurled was produce – food was much too scarce to be tossed. To the astonishment of the Norwegians, who by now were clearly holding weapons, the rage blinded crowd appeared to be preparing to rush them

Norwegian restraint saves German lives…

There was no panic and no wild shots. The first bursts from the sten guns, (the teams had quickly accepted their U.S. .45s, but quickly rejected the U.S. carbines), fired over the heads of the rioters, but close enough to part their hair, caused those in the center to scatter.

Exposing himself to obtain a firing angle that would not send rounds skipping down side of the building, M.Sgt. Lareson, deliberate fired short of some stoners using the corner as cover- causing them to bolt back around it. A second group that was hurling potentially lethal cobble stones from behind a wooden farm cart containing a huge zinc barrel was harder to deal with. With a shout, Laresen directed two other Norwegians to advance along the wall towards the corner he had cleared, then fire warning shots from the flank. Two bursts into adjacent walls caused the group to drop, another burst into the barrel led to some sprinting down the street and others to scamper under the cart - where they found themselves sprayed by clinic bed pan contents from the now perforated barrel.

Blunted by the warning shots, the crowd’s energy dissipated. A quick head count after the third team looped around from the far end of the markert accounted for everyone. After securing the ledgers, the now hog tied youth, the neighborhood association leader, and the director of the clinic, a pensive Aaberg ordered a withdrawl.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff. I've just gotten caught up with this thread, and it's made for some good reading. I look forward to the next installment - hopefully the Norwegians will start to have a little more success in their hunt.

^
All,

Thanks for the encouragement. I hope to have another installment tomorrow. I was in a land with out computers for some time.