Maria-Carolina Queen of France

In 1767 smallpox struck the House of Austria, killing Maria-Theresa's daughter Maria-Josefa about to leave to become Queen of Naples, daughter in law Maria-Isabella of Parma Queen of the Romans and scarring Archduchess Maria-Elisabeth. Thus her Heir became a widower and she was down two daughters for the marriage market. Had this not happened Maria-Josepha could have become Queen of Naples, Joseph still in a loving marriage might have left heirs and Maria-Carolina (Louis XV's god daughter) would have been the prime candidate to become Louis XVI's Queen since she would not be needed in Naples. Maria-Carolina was forceful, an anglophile, highly sexed, highly fertile and highly intelligent. Could Maria-Carolina have guided the weak Louis XVI through the French Revolution and brought France safely toward a stable Constitutional Monarchy?

Now that's a fascinating idea; although I'm more immediately intrigued by the idea of Emperor Joseph having children, both are good fodder.

Susano

Banned
Could Maria-Carolina have guided the weak Louis XVI through the French Revolution and brought France safely toward a stable Constitutional Monarchy?

Well, thats unlikely. The Habsburgs had as little desire for that as the Bourbons, both believed strongly in the divine right of kings, and I dont see why Maria-Carolina should be different. Nontheless, any better handling of the situation, and if for mere pragmatic reasons, would help, of course. Still, I agree with Shawn, the dynastic impact on Joseph seems more interesting to me...

Deleted member 5909

Interestingly enough, I had a TL going for a while in which this very thing occurs, or rather, in which the Duc de Bourgogne survives and weds Maria Carolina.

Feel free to check it out here for inspiration, if you'd so like...

Well Maria-Theresa at least wanted to name all her daughters Maria something in honour of the House of Habsburgs veneration of the Virgin Mary. Most of the girls were known by their second name or a nickname. Of Maria-Theresa's daughters; Marie-Antoinette was 'Antoine', Maria-Carolina 'Charlotte' and Maria-Christine 'Mimi'.
As for Josephs kids I can't really see the impact beyond them replacing Leopold's kids dynastically. Josephs daughters would probably have become Queens of Naples and Saxony like Leopolds maybe with Spain or Tuscany thrown in too. Can't really see his sons acting much differently than Leopolds either, but with a loving indulgent mother and a highly intelligent father they could have been impressive and changed the way Austria handled the Napoleonic Wars.
Since Joseph's first wife survives he wouldn't end up having to marry Maria-Josepha of Bavaria and thus (according to Joseph) inheriting her claim to Bavaria upon the deaths of her father and brother. Thus we're spared the hassle over Bavaria in the 1780s.