Map Thread XXII

Does anyone knows what does the territory of the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, which is administered by Russia as an enclave of Moscow Oblast, actually looks like on the world map?
Baikonur is a city in Kazakhstan administered by the Russian Federation. The leased territory under Russian administration is 90 kilometres east to west and 85 kilometres north to south. The size on a map will change based on the scale and scope of the map.
restricted area?
It is open to visitors and tourists on permit from administration.

Does anyone knows what does the territory of the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, which is administered by Russia as an enclave of Moscow Oblast, actually looks like on the world map? it is inconsistently portrayed as a big circle, a very large area, and very small circle that is effectively only the cosmodrome area itself, so which is the right border of the restricted area?
Kazakhstan-BS_Map.jpg
Locator-map-Baikonur-Cosmodrome.jpg

From a legal standpoint it remains Kazakh territory but basically leased to Russia for use, so from that point it's wouldn't show up on a map anymore than when America or Britain leased area I'm the Pacific and Australia for military testing.

The red circle I don't think represents any sort of borders but rather represents the exclusion area to prevent people getting hurt from accidents and rocket falls.

Not going to lie, the bizarrest thing of the original map was why the Democratic Republic of Congo still had the name Congo back then, with the former French colony being the one who had to tack on ‘Republic of’ before it’s name, surprised Bechuanland keeps its border (and the othe provinces lose theirs and that the Bantustands did not get land from there or unite with Swaziland or Lesotho. I feel should would be a lot less pink on this map as Nyasaland, Kenya, Tanganyika (meaning Zanzibar is independent), and Uganda are all explicitly republics. Which does have the amusing irony that Rhodesia (probably not just a federation of two here, but loads of tribal boundaries) might be the only country here to stay loyal to the Crown, rather than being seen as in undeclared rebellion. Really though, always nice to see old maps, especially now that Reddit does not ever load images (or posts) onto my iPad anymore. Anyways, I am guessing the sole reason South Africa is called the Republic of South Africa rather than the Union of South Africa is to avoid their being two USAs on this map.

Not going to lie, the bizarrest thing of the original map was why the Democratic Republic of Congo still had the name Congo back then, with the former French colony being the one who had to tack on ‘Republic of’ before it’s name, surprised Bechuanland keeps its border (and the othe provinces lose theirs and that the Bantustands did not get land from there or unite with Swaziland or Lesotho. I feel should would be a lot less pink on this map as Nyasaland, Kenya, Tanganyika (meaning Zanzibar is independent), and Uganda are all explicitly republics. Which does have the amusing irony that Rhodesia (probably not just a federation of two here, but loads of tribal boundaries) might be the only country here to stay loyal to the Crown, rather than being seen as in undeclared rebellion. Really though, always nice to see old maps, especially now that Reddit does not ever load images (or posts) onto my iPad anymore. Anyways, I am guessing the sole reason South Africa is called the Republic of South Africa rather than the Union of South Africa is to avoid their being two USAs on this map.

The D.R.C had the name Congo it's entire colonial existence and houses the bulk of the river it's named after so it makes sense it'd still have it, likewise the Rep. of Congo also had the name Congo its entire colonial existence and has the Congo River as a large chunk of its border. In short it makes sense both would retain the name.

The leased territory under Russian administration is 90 kilometres east to west and 85 kilometres north to south. The size on a map will change based on the scale and scope of the map.
What exactly does this looks like on a XK-BAM and on a Q-BAM?

Like this respectively?
baikonur2k.png
2K-BAM
baikonurqbam.png
Q-BAM

Does anyone knows what does the territory of the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, which is administered by Russia as an enclave of Moscow Oblast, actually looks like on the world map? it is inconsistently portrayed as a big circle, a very large area, and very small circle that is effectively only the cosmodrome area itself, so which is the right border of the restricted area?
Kazakhstan-BS_Map.jpg
Locator-map-Baikonur-Cosmodrome.jpg
image.png

Which seems to be this roughly:
image.png

The D.R.C had the name Congo it's entire colonial existence and houses the bulk of the river it's named after so it makes sense it'd still have it, likewise the Rep. of Congo also had the name Congo its entire colonial existence and has the Congo River as a large chunk of its border. In short it makes sense both would retain the name.
I know, I meant it was amusing that back then, before the country was renamed to Zaire, they had the Congo name, whereas now the former French colony is referred to as Congo, without the ‘Republic of’ added to it, whereas former Zaire is now always referred to as the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Just a small spelling error but the names of the Bharatic(calling it Indo-Aryan would be better) are slightly wrong. They should be Hindi,Marathi,Gujarati,Sindhi,Sikh,Kashmiri,Bengali,Assamese,Nepali,Sikkimese,Bhutanese(Sikkimese and Bhutanese should be Sino-Tibetan btw) and Roma. Also what caused the Orissans to be replaced entirely by the Kui?

Finally after shrinking the image more than 10 times and thus ruining making the city names too small to read.
Here's Poland in the year 1972 in my little Weimar TL.
Showing the voivodeships (including the never realised Sandomierz Voivodeship planed in late 1939) as well as their capitals and major roads in use.
As well as some info.
Fun fact, Germany in 1972 has a population of 91,117,000 (Without Austria right now)

Poland in 1972 smaller.png

I know, I meant it was amusing that back then, before the country was renamed to Zaire, they had the Congo name, whereas now the former French colony is referred to as Congo, without the ‘Republic of’ added to it, whereas former Zaire is now always referred to as the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

I've never heard anyone refer to the Rep. of Congo as just Congo, it's always either Republic of Congo or Congo-Brazzaville, likewise I have on occasion heard the Dem. Rep. of Congo referred to as Congo, though mostly as the D.R.C or it's full name in French.

I should note to that most of the time I've heard people talk about it was actual Congolese (both countries) as I used to work a job dealing with Western Unions and had a lot of African customers sending to various African countries.

I've never heard anyone refer to the Rep. of Congo as just Congo, it's always either Republic of Congo or Congo-Brazzaville, likewise I have on occasion heard the Dem. Rep. of Congo referred to as Congo, though mostly as the D.R.C or it's full name in French.
My elderly dad who visited Brazzaville sometime in the late 1980s to early 1990s calls the country as Congo-Brazzaville, and I also recall hearing him refer to the DRC as Congo-Kinshasa, bear in mind that he grew up in the 1960s-1970s, when the names "Congo-Brazzaville" and "Congo-Léopoldville" were still in use, so call him old fashioned in using mid-20th century terminology for countries, for example, when he forgets about the DRC and Congo-Kinshasa, I have to tell him that the country I am referring to is Zaire, the name that he grew up used with.

Last edited:
I do not want to know how old your "elderly dad" is, do I? 🤔🤔😬
He also thinks that Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia still exist, and that Russia is still Communist and ruled by the KGB, whenever I correct him saying stuff like "no, that is the Czech Republic", or "no, that is Serbia", or "no, that is the FSB" he always says, "whatever, same thing!", as a history aficionado I love him so much lol, it is like I am witnessing 20th century history and viewpoints, when I am someone who has no memories of the past century.

Just a small spelling error but the names of the Bharatic(calling it Indo-Aryan would be better) are slightly wrong. They should be Hindi,Marathi,Gujarati,Sindhi,Sikh,Kashmiri,Bengali,Assamese,Nepali,Sikkimese,Bhutanese(Sikkimese and Bhutanese should be Sino-Tibetan btw) and Roma. Also what caused the Orissans to be replaced entirely by the Kui?
I used Bharatic for lore reasons mostly because Dravidia is entirely Muslim in this universe and so Bharat usually refers to the north in-universe to distinguish the two. The Reason why -an and -ian are used is due to the Greek Conquest and Influence of the region in-universe, meaning that the people of Europe knew these people groups better and thus used European suffixes. As for Kui, the Hindu Indo-Aryan Orissans were pushed out or assimilated into the Muslim Dravidian Kui. Although you are correct about Sikkimese and Bhutanese, i must've glossed over them due to their small size, that one is on me.

Last edited:
Cross-posting my MoTF entry.

With the dissolution of the Greater Pacific Co-Prosperity Sphere in 1991, one would presume the twilight of Japanese influence overseas. This was indeed the case in most Japan-aligned states of the Americas; re-unification of the United States being the most prominent example. However, things took a bit different route down under.
Peru had always boasted a considerable Japanese diaspora, even before the War. When the New Order was established, its convenient coastal position and abundance of natural resources attracted the attention of the Ministry of Greater Asia. Japanese mining companies established themselves in the region for the extraction of copper, lead, iron, zinc, bismuth and other ores. With them came a great amount of worker families, seeking a new life beyond the overpopulated Home Islands. By 1990, the Nikkei comprised about 30% of the country's population and a few wealthy Japanese families, most notably the Fujimoris, held firm grip over Peruvian politics. But the collapse of the Pacific Co-Prosperity Sphere arrested them. Popular rebellions, instigated by Communist guerillas, swept over the country. Ethnic cleansings against the Japanese took place in the countryside and in some of the major cities. Meanwhile, the Home Islands were going through a period of political turmoil and were unable to help the endangered cause of the Japanese people in this South American country. The families had to act. A coup d'etat was orchestrated by the industrial clans under the leadership of Alberto Fujimori, a young and ambitious representative of the Japanese upper class. Incumbent president of Peru, Alan Garcia, although a figurehead himself, was deposed. Peruvian armed forces were mustered to crush the protesters, with the more patriotic-minded elements purged from their ranks. By the end of 1992, the Fujimori-led military-industrial junta established itself as the sole nexus of power in the country, with the communist guerillas driven way back into the Andes. Now a time came to solidify its power. On January 1st, 1993, the Celestial Empire of Peru was proclaimed in the stead of a broken republic, with Inomoto Fujimori (formerly Alberto) crowned as its first Emperor. A distant family connection to the Japanese Imperial House of Yamamoto was traced - or manufactured - by the new regime's propagandists. An apartheid-like system was established, in which the Nikkei alone enjoyed the full scope of civil rights, with White Americans and Europeans (especially Germans, who were also present in substantial numbers) graciously co-opted by granting them the label of 'honorary Nikkei'. 'Civilized' Peruvians of European descent (mostly the Lima elite) were classed second, and in some cases even granted first-class citizenship, in a regime's clumsy attempt to appear more inclusive. The fate of the native Peruvians was pitiable to say the least. A genocidal campaign of forced sterilization, expulsion and forced labor was drafted by the new government, under the moniker of 'Plan Midori' (Green Plan). In order to 'safeguard the rights of the oppressed Nikkei population' Ecuador was annexed in a lightning strike invasion in 1993. All these actions, of course, drew condemnation from the international community, most notably the European Union and Germany, which underwent profound democratic reforms under the fuhrership of Helmut Kohl. Japan, on the other hand, despite distancing itself from its post-colonial affairs for a short period of time, quickly started to tacitly support the new regime. Despite issuing perfunctory admonishments to Lima, it maintained a strong economic partnership with the genocidal regime. Japanese journalists and historians were eager to spread a revisionist account of the 1992 coup, in which the Communist Guerillas were planning to perpetrate a mass genocide against the Japanese (and to their credit, there was a grain of truth in this account, as ethnic cleansing did in fact happen) and the coup was a sort of preventive action. The Fujimorist junta continued to supply itself in Japanese weaponry, and allegedly a contingent of Japanese Armed Forces remained in Peru all throughout the turbulent period, training the newly formed Peruvian Imperial Forces. But there was yet another link, one of great economic importance. Cocaine. Peru was always a vital hub for the cultivation and distribution of the Coca crop. But after ties were severed between Japan and other South American countries, it became its greatest source for the drug-hungry and economically perturbed inhabitants of the Home Islands. As of 1999, the Peruvian Empire stands firmly, with its degenerate elites preparing for a bombastic celebration of the first decade of the Empire's existence in 2003.

dhdruo6-5ba45fcb-5484-44c1-a09c-9974471bf60a.png

1. Why would Alexander living longer lead to no christianity and no ERE? I can maybe understand the point on the Seleucids but i fail to see Alexander's Empire would prevent Christianity and the ERE. If you want a timeline reason, it's simply because his Empire was still eventually divided or that Rome managed to defeat them in a war someway or another. Basically Rome still rises to power in this timeline which would mean Byzantium and Christianity would remain largely unchanged.
2. That's interesting history i did not know but it does not change the fact that the Khanate of Sibir was directly East of the Ural Mountains?
3. I said that In the Timeline I MADE the Polynesians settled Papua. I am aware that Papua is not nor has really ever been Polynesian in OTL.
1. Christianity arose as a response to the declining legitimacy of Jewish institutions following the establishment and subsequent implosion of the Herodian dynasty. The Herodian dynasty was a successor to the Hasmonean dynasty, which was established following a revolt against the Seleucids following the sacking of the Jewish temple. That sacking only occurred because of the specific circumstance that the Seleucids tried to invade Egypt and were repulsed by the threat of a war with the Roman republic, which wanted to keep the Ptolemaic empire intact as a counterweight to them. The Maccabean revolt succeeded because the Seleucids had completely lost the plot, having a massive civil war and getting invaded by the Parthians. Since the Parthians don't seem to exist ITTL, and your equivalent to the Seleucids was much more powerful, they would probably not be intimidated by the Romans, and even if they were, they would be able to crush the Maccabees, meaning that there would be no Hasmonean dynasty, nor a Herodian dyansty, nor a Christianity as we know it.
As for the Yuan dynasty, your map implies a Tocharian invasion into the Ordos region, and, since the An Lushan Rebellion still seems to have happened (as Gan Chinese exists and the Hakka aren't further north), this must have happened after the collapse of the Tang dynasty. This implies that the Tanghuts weren't a player in the region, which would result in the Later Liang dynasty collapsing earlier than it did in our world, and the Jin Tang unifying northern China earlier, probably either in Li Keyong's reign or early in Li Cunxu's reign. Since the Jin Tang dynasty was already well on its way to unifying China under Emperor Mingzong IOTL, it would probably be able to form a unified dynasty. This means that the Khitans would not take the Sixteen Prefectures area, and the relations between China and the Khitans would be better without the Khitans controlling territories south of the Great Wall, so there would be no Song-Jin alliance to dismember the Liao. This means that the Mongols would probably continue to be Khitan subjects rather than forming their own empire, and that, even if they did, they would be facing down a single unified China, probably ruled by Shatuo Turks, rather than two collapsing failed states that spent more time fighting each other rather than the Mongols even while they were being invaded.
2. The Khanate of Sibir was a product of the Mongol conquests; see above.
3. The Polynesians, as far as I can tell, never heavily settled territory that already had inhabitants before they showed up prior to the colonial period, preferring to occupy uninhabited islands. Even when they did settle in previously-inhabited territory, like in New Caledonia and Ecuador, they assimilated into the neighboring populations and adopted their languages, rather than replacing them.

1. Christianity arose as a response to the declining legitimacy of Jewish institutions following the establishment and subsequent implosion of the Herodian dynasty. The Herodian dynasty was a successor to the Hasmonean dynasty, which was established following a revolt against the Seleucids following the sacking of the Jewish temple. That sacking only occurred because of the specific circumstance that the Seleucids tried to invade Egypt and were repulsed by the threat of a war with the Roman republic, which wanted to keep the Ptolemaic empire intact as a counterweight to them. The Maccabean revolt succeeded because the Seleucids had completely lost the plot, having a massive civil war and getting invaded by the Parthians. Since the Parthians don't seem to exist ITTL, and your equivalent to the Seleucids was much more powerful, they would probably not be intimidated by the Romans, and even if they were, they would be able to crush the Maccabees, meaning that there would be no Hasmonean dynasty, nor a Herodian dyansty, nor a Christianity as we know it.
As for the Yuan dynasty, your map implies a Tocharian invasion into the Ordos region, and, since the An Lushan Rebellion still seems to have happened (as Gan Chinese exists and the Hakka aren't further north), this must have happened after the collapse of the Tang dynasty. This implies that the Tanghuts weren't a player in the region, which would result in the Later Liang dynasty collapsing earlier than it did in our world, and the Jin Tang unifying northern China earlier, probably either in Li Keyong's reign or early in Li Cunxu's reign. Since the Jin Tang dynasty was already well on its way to unifying China under Emperor Mingzong IOTL, it would probably be able to form a unified dynasty. This means that the Khitans would not take the Sixteen Prefectures area, and the relations between China and the Khitans would be better without the Khitans controlling territories south of the Great Wall, so there would be no Song-Jin alliance to dismember the Liao. This means that the Mongols would probably continue to be Khitan subjects rather than forming their own empire, and that, even if they did, they would be facing down a single unified China, probably ruled by Shatuo Turks, rather than two collapsing failed states that spent more time fighting each other rather than the Mongols even while they were being invaded.
2. The Khanate of Sibir was a product of the Mongol conquests; see above.
3. The Polynesians, as far as I can tell, never heavily settled territory that already had inhabitants before they showed up prior to the colonial period, preferring to occupy uninhabited islands. Even when they did settle in previously-inhabited territory, like in New Caledonia and Ecuador, they assimilated into the neighboring populations and adopted their languages, rather than replacing them.
1. The Parthians did exist though, my other maps include the Sassanids and the Seleucids are shown really only holding on to the area around Babylon instead of being completely eradicated:
CNSV Asia Labeled-min.png
The Seleucids still exist because Seleucus and his dynasty manages to strip away the land east of Anatolia from Alexander's young naive heir. Yuan extended until around 1500 when the Tocharians invaded them. The Mongol Invasions happened because the Tocharians bugged the Chinese in place of the Tanguts and what-not and Liao was able to take Beijing, severely weakening China. (It is notable that Mongolia did not conquer past the Urals due to being defeated by a great Kievan general (Who used the opportunity to forge his own realm in the Volga)). As for the Polynesians, it is just a fun thing i did to spice up the island of Papua that is usually passed up. If i really want to i can retcon it cuz it really is just a way to make Papua more interesting.
Here's another map around the time Yuan started falling (The Kazakhs had already conquered Sibir in this timeline, and the Sibirians actually co-operated with Volga when they invaded
CNSV 1480 Asia Labeled-min.png

Last edited:
Map set in 1939 (a remarkably unremarkable year ITTL) of a hopefully unique take on a German victory in WWI, that of a compromise peace in late 1917/early 1918 (compromise taken to mean that neither side gets everything they want, not that neither side wins). EDIT: Fixed Belgium accidentally having Eurpen-Malmedy.
hXrGS38.png

Treaties of WWI:

• Treaty of Strasbourg (Western Front & Colonies)
    • Germany evacuates Belgium in its entirety and pays reparations to help rebuild the nation.
    • Alsace-Lorraine to become a condominum of France and Germany and to be demilitirised.
    • Status quo ante bellum for Italy. Italy initially refuses and tries to keep fighting at which point the British and French leave them to hang. They finally surrender after an Austro-German force annihilates the Italian front and rapidly captures Venice and Milan, throwing the defenders across the Po. Benedict XV, who was the main arbitartor of the Strasbourg Peace Conference, successfully intervenes and negotiates a relatively lenient peace in which Austria only annexes border territories, Greece gets Rhodes, and A-H gets war reparations (which was the Austrian plan anyway, but the Italians don't know that).
    • All of the German colonies are split between Britain (& Dominions), France, Belgium, and Japan, except for Togoland, which Germany retains in exchange for the condominum over A-L and also gains resource rights in the Belgian Congo for the same reason.
    • The Central Powers agree to restrain the peace with Russia to Congress Poland, Lithuania, Courland, and southern Caucuses with an indepndent Finland and potential for renegotiation if the Bolsheviks don't accept.
    • Balkan Entente states thrown under the bus.
  • Treaty of Brest-Litovsk (Russia)
    • Russia to cede Congress Poland, Lithuania (long version), Courland and parts of southern Caucuses to CP and recognise Finnish independence. Bolsheviks don't initially accept and the Germans continue the advance, with a naval invasion capturing St. Petersburg. Russia sues for peace afterward. Second version of the treaty includes aforementioned clauses plus Livonia, Estonia, and Bessarabia to be ceded to CP (with the latter to be ceded to Rumania by Austria-Hungary), recognition of Georgian and Azerbaijani independence, and war reparations to Germany and A-H.
  • Treaty of Belgrade (Balkans)
    • Bulgaria to annex all of the Serbian occupied territories except for Kosovo.
    • Kosovo to be granted to Albania, a de facto Austro-Bulgarian puppet.
    • Rumania to cede border territories to A-H and all of Dobruja to Bulgaria. (see the OTL Treaty of Bucharest)
    • A-H annexes the Montengrin coast.
    • Remainder of Serbia and Montenegro to become Austrian puppets.
    • Greece to cede occupied territory to Bulgaria.
  • Treaty of Damascus (Ottoman Empire)
    • Independence of Hejaz, Jordan, and Iraq recognised under British protectorates.
    • Independece of Yemen and Asir recognised.
    • Lack of advance into Syria and giving up complete reconquest of A-L causes France and Britiain to come to an agreement for a condominum over the Holy Land. No Balfour Declaration and no Jewish settlement in the Holy Land.
  • Benedict XV's role as the arbitrator of the Strasbourg Peace Conference greatly boostes his own standing and that of the Church throughout Europe. Emperor Karl and King Albert also got major boosts in popularity as the most pro-peace heads of state at the Conference.
  • The left-leaning French government that came to power a few years after the war attempted to go harder on the anti-clericalism, but found that they had seriously misjudged the mood of the common people and the army. A coup by conservative officers in 1926 declared the Fourth French Republic, a conservative, pro-Church republic (albeit one whose leaders have significant monarchist sympathies, who have been in contact with the Comte de Paris, and who have been spreading large amounts of monarchist propaganda throughout the country). The new government's initial internal focus combined with the A-L condominum working out surprisingly well has led to a rapproachment between France and Germany.
  • German underwent constituional reform after the war, strengthening the Reichstag at the expense of the Kaiser. German democracy has remained strong in the decades since, with its eastern satellites also prospering, even as Poland moves increasingly closer to Vienna than to Berlin due to its Habsurg king.
  • Italy fell into civil war in the early 30s after a failed socialist coup. The royalists narrowly won and are still recovering.
  • Austria-Hungary reformed itself into a quintuple monarchy of Austria, Bohemia, Hungary, Croatia, and Galicia-Lodomeria. The country is now called the Union of the Crowns of the House of Habsurg, with most people referring to it as the Habsburg Monarchy or as Leithania.
  • The Ottoman Empire was reformed into a parliamentary monarchy and a federal state over the decades. Whiel the vilayets have large amounts of autonomy, cultural and relgious matters are not under their purview or of the federal government and have instead been placed in the hands to national councils, who govern according the Austromarxist principle of national personal autonomy, which has worked out rather well.
  • The German offensives during the closing days of the Eastern Front put the Bolsheviks at a large disadvantage and allowed White Forces led by the Directory (or its ATL version anyway) to win the Civil War. They reluctantly acceded to the terms of Brest-Litovsk ratified by the Bolshevik government while they turned to internal rebuilding. A federal parliamentary republic was established to govern Russia which has gone through a series of unstable coalition governments, though the democratically elected government continues to stumble along, with many dreams of retaking the lost territories.
  • The Empire of India gained earlier independence ITTL and is parliamentary federal contistutional monarchy. It remains in personal union the the UK and Dominions.
  • Japan, having annexed all of Karafuto during the intervention in Russia and having gained all of their desired territories from the war remains content. The developing Japanese democracy has been going strong and they have not gone into China except for some minor interventions (mostly of the naval variety). Otherwise, they remain content to sit tight and support their preferred candidate of the Imperial government in Beijing.
  • China has a PoD a couple of years earlier than the rest of the world (mostly because I wanted to do something with Yuan Shikai). Yuan Shikai is more successful in his proclamation of a new Imperial dynasty. Although much of the country stills falls to warlordism during the late 1910s and early 1920s, he manages to hold onto much of north, east, and central China. The Chinese frontlines have remained largely static for a couple of decades but rumours coming out of the Forbidden City suggest a massive offensive by the Hongxian Emperor and his loyal forces to crush the warlords once and for all.

Last edited: