Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
is this map complete, will you color other countries?

I do have a version with everyone coloured in, but I figured it was a little unnecessary to post it. For this copy I coloured in countries that were in the top 15 for population, GDP, or both (the GDP list is still a bit inaccurate, so I might make an updated version in future). I figured doing it that way was the simplest method for figuring out which countries were actually relevant.

Here's a link to the fully-coloured version: Click

(Phrase "Ruins of Helvetica" copyright Alex Richards (I think), "Nueva Extremadura" taken from Goldstein and not payed for)

Very nice map, and I'm really not sure a phrase like that really needs acknowledging, but thanks anyway.

And while I'm here, let me nitpick the other names on Joyeux's map:
The pseudo-classical name for Tuscany would probably be "Etruria". IMO, "Helvetia" sounds better than the version with a -c-, the latter sounds like the font.

The font is actually named for the classically romantic name of 'Helvetic Republic' used during the revolution, and indeed is just the adjectival form of the nation in Latin, so it's entirely appropriate, whereas Helvetia is really quite meaningless.

Gian

Banned
Here's a little update to my unfinished map:

5fn0Vn7.png

Fantastic map as always!

In any case, what's the linguistic situation in New Denmark like?

Probably more than one official language, but I don't really know what Lord Roem had in mind and don't want to go too far in reshaping his creation. :) (No doubt a lot of English-speakers from Virginia as well as Spanish in the south and west...)

Looking good, Bruce! Like the divided Japan (for the novelty) and powerful France (parce que j'adore France :)).

What's that white bit in Africa? Is it simply de facto ungoverned territory?

"Tuareg liberated zone." :D

Really? You are a posterboy for all those who say learning Inkscape is difficult then. Since you've already gone through a lot of the arduous part of tracing everything.

I think it just takes a bit more time than making a worlda, and the layering can be a bit of a pain.

Very nice map, and I'm really not sure a phrase like that really needs acknowledging, but thanks anyway.

The font is actually named for the classically romantic name of 'Helvetic Republic' used during the revolution, and indeed is just the adjectival form of the nation in Latin, so it's entirely appropriate, whereas Helvetia is really quite meaningless.

It is a bit tricky when we use English to talk about terms that were either French, German, Italian or latin.
Helvetische Republik, République helvétique, Repubblica elvetica. In Swiss historiography, the period 1798-1803 is called Helvetik.
On the other hand, the demonym for the ancient people is (in german) usually Helvetier and thus Helvetien as name for their area is common. The personification of Switzerland certainly is Helvetia.
See also New Helvetia or Nueva Helvetia. So while this is not the only possible name, calling it "quite meaningless" is patently wrong.

IMO it comes down to the grammar. Helvetia is rather a noun, while Helvetica is an adjective. The latter can become a noun like French "belgique". But while a nation could be named "British Federation" or "American Commonwealth", you shouldn't shorten it on a map to "American" or "British" unless for colonies et al. in a possessive way.

Map of Against All Odds, updated to the most recent version of the QBAM.

What happened to the (United States of?) America to give it so few states? Is there a civil war/rebel occupation going on in the Soviet Union? If yes, how does this not escalate into global thermonuclear war?

How (un)stable is the Middle East, and how is it with the Five Chinas? What is the system of government of North Japan (I presume something like Kimism, maybe Miyamotoism)?

What happened to the (United States of?) America to give it so few states? Is there a civil war/rebel occupation going on in the Soviet Union? If yes, how does this not escalate into global thermonuclear war?

How (un)stable is the Middle East, and how is it with the Five Chinas? What is the system of government of North Japan (I presume something like Kimism, maybe Miyamotoism)?

The US was overthrown by a communist revolution in the 30s following a series of unfortunate events. The loss of the US as an ally and trading partner prompted the British Empire to grant more rights to the natives and then federate. The Union of American People's Republics participated in the Pacific War against Japan (see below), then "recruited" most of Latin America into an alliance.

The Soviets allied with the Nazis against the British etc., and eventually accepted a negotiated peace after they got nuked twice, including a clause of no nukes (though they have a small open secret stockpile like OTL Israel). These days they're actually somewhat more liberal than OTL Russia. The Caucasus is in a state of general disarray, with the League of Nations in the process of negotiating a settlement. It's expected to resolve soon (TM).

The Middle East is unlikely to burst into open war - the existence of a Palestinian state removes some excuses, for one, and there haven't been any invasions stirring shit up - but it's still not a great place to live. Iraq and Syria are dictatorships, per OTL before the US invasion and Arab Spring respectively, Lebanon is a Christian fundamentalist Fascist state, but hey, at least there's no ISIL.

The People's Republic of China is basically North Korea writ large, ready to fling nukes at its neighbours at the slightest provocation. They alienated all of their allies in the '70s and since then they've all but walled off their borders. The question is, will they go out with a whimper as their population gradually starves to death, or a bang as they start opening cans of instant sunshine all over the far east?

The People's Republic of Japan is one of two Asian members of the American bloc, along with Korea (which is much closer to OTL Czechoslovakia in governance than our DPRK). It's not unlike East Germany, complete with Tokyo Wall, and is considered one of the more unstable of the communist nations.

I think it just takes a bit more time than making a worlda, and the layering can be a bit of a pain.

For me, making a map on Inkscape gets much faster than editing a Worlda. :p Early on, I found it astonishing how intuitive the program is in comparison to something like Photoshop. I think it's just different for everyone; for some it's faster, others it takes a little more time. No harm in either. :)

You know, I used to think so, but now I can bang out an Inkscape map much faster than a worlda (when I have to). It's just all about practice I guess :D

Tardis218

Banned
ews_by_tardis218-d9o6qp8.png

Sigismund Francis, Archduke of Further Austria does not die in 1665 and goes on to have children. (Along with that the Liechtenstein royal family actually moves to Liechtenstein when the land is bought.) Further Austria is passed down generation to generation, until the son of the heir to the Liechtenstein and the daughter of an Archduke of Further Austria took the Liechtenstein throne, after his father and grandfather died. And a few years later, the Archduke died without children, and the new Prince of Liechtenstein was the closest male relative to the Archduke, and the two lands were united under the helm of Liechtenstein.

Status
Not open for further replies.