Map Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.
More seriously, heres a munroified version of my Looser Union Map. Now I was going to put 'Everybody Else as the last bit and they're going to be the numbers. But I didn't want to clutter the map with numbers so what do people want to know about those nations not thus far mentioned?
Whats going on in Italy?

More seriously, heres a munroified version of my Looser Union Map. Now I was going to put 'Everybody Else as the last bit and they're going to be the numbers. But I didn't want to clutter the map with numbers so what do people want to know about those nations not thus far mentioned?

Is that a British Central America?

Well, my diversion project is going along nicely... Africa and Asia are now done as well, only Australasia and the Pacific remain, as well as the Munrofication progress. So yeah, my WiP "Talleyrand-wank" is soon done!

It is utterly maddening how similar this map is to one I am currently working on. :mad::p

Seriously though, it's like I've been reading your mind. I started working on mine breifly after your first WiP was posted, but even then I already had the ideas in my head. Oh well. :eek:

Is that a British Central America?
Yes, but its much reduced from its former size. That was a result of British involvement in the break of the Spanish colonies

Whats going on in Italy?
Italy was a loose federation of duchies and republics until recently, when the long-time Emperor of Elba was propelled to the position of King of Italians at the head of a French sponsored coup. However, he only took the republican south with the French. The duchy filled north was cut off from the south since unification because Germany was united by Austria who sucked in the Hapsburg Italian states in the 1820s to keep the Hapsburgs in a majority position. Because of this in the recent Second Great War, the Germans helped out their French allies and united their duchies with the northern duchies of Italy and reunified Italy with the exception of Venetia. Hence north and south are divided between French and German spheres of influence.

I am curious about indendent Madagascar, and I'm still unsure as to why that mega-Comanche state didn't just get partitioned between it's neighbors. Also, fragmented Brazil is really fragmented: in the 19th century, some of those inland bits hardly had the population to make really viable nations. (By 19th century standards, anyway. I'm sure the average Brit from 1914 would find the idea of independent Maldives a bit absurd).

Bruce

1) Madagascar was a British protectorate, but when the Revolution broke out, the King took advantage and established complete independence.
2) Comancheria was mixed from the start with black freedmen escaping from an American Civil War between slavery and serfdom. Not a great choice so they got out of there. Also abolitionist Christians from America (woot John Brown) helped out. Not shown on here is that Comancheria is only nominally and symbolically native these days, with significant Asian and African populations.
3) Brazils collapse was from the coast inward. Because none of the smaller states have the projection capabilities to run the interior, a few large sparsely populated countries exist. Really they're just run by outside concerns and local strongmen, but it suits them to put nice lines on a map.

And only Alsace!

Yeah!

It is utterly maddening how similar this map is to one I am currently working on. :mad::p

Seriously though, it's like I've been reading your mind. I started working on mine breifly after your first WiP was posted, but even then I already had the ideas in my head. Oh well. :eek:

Well, I'm looking forward to see your map, it'd be interesting to compare the two in detail.

2) Comancheria was mixed from the start with black freedmen escaping from an American Civil War between slavery and serfdom. Not a great choice so they got out of there. Also abolitionist Christians from America (woot John Brown) helped out. Not shown on here is that Comancheria is only nominally and symbolically native these days, with significant Asian and African populations.

Come on, no Deseret analogue? ;)

I think it's supposed to be "Ethnic Germanland" as part of a USGA, though in that case they'd probably have bits of the Sudetenland broken off and added too.

Yeah kinda; the big title's Emperor of Austria and Hungary, King of the Germans, the Serbs, Croats and South Slavs, Duke of Venice, Wallachia and Moldavia, etc. etc.

Okay, what is this a reference to? I've seen variants of it at least twice before (though both had "And Alsace-Lorraine!" at the end).

It's just a dumb AH.com meme as far as I know. It's a demand for an already wanked entity to be wanked even further. I believe it initially was in reference to someone wanking New Mexico on a map and somebody demanded that they have a warm water port, and then the next person demanded a second warm water port, and it just sort of escalated with each poster one-upping each other.

Okay, what is this a reference to? I've seen variants of it at least twice before (though both had "And Alsace-Lorraine!" at the end).

It was a quote in someone's post, but I don't recall the context. Not a meme by any stretch.

It was New Mexico.

It's just a dumb AH.com meme as far as I know. It's a demand for an already wanked entity to be wanked even further. I believe it initially was in reference to someone wanking New Mexico on a map and somebody demanded that they have a warm water port, and then the next person demanded a second warm water port, and it just sort of escalated with each poster one-upping each other.

It was a quote in someone's post, but I don't recall the context. Not a meme by any stretch.

It was New Mexico.

Oh, okay. I hadn't seen enough references for me to conclude that this was specific to AH.com, and I assumed the New Mexico one was a reference to something external. Thanks for the clarification.

Just something random inspired by kasumigenx (with love!) - no POD in mind, but basically an über-HRE that spreads across most of Europe.

j66EE.png

On paper its an imperial hegemon that controls the fate of the continent, but in reality its a paper tiger where multiple layers of factions fight for control, both at the imperial level and regionally. As well the empire is rather more Slavic than German, both in terms of sheer population and the elites - which is starting to cause some issues with the various German princes. And then there's the issue of religion, both in terms of Catholic vs *Protestant, but also secular rulers against the Church's power.

0Ll3h.png

The only way I could see this working in reality would be if all of the empires' opponents were essentially crippled, which means wanking people other than the HRE. So its not so much an HRE-wank as it is an HRE's opponents-screw.

Last edited:
Just something random inspired by kasumigenx (with love!) - no POD in mind, but basically an über-HRE that spreads across most of Europe.

On paper its an imperial hegemon that controls the fate of the continent, but in reality its a paper tiger where multiple layers of factions fight for control, both at the imperial level and regionally. As well the empire is rather more Slavic than German, both in terms of sheer population and the elites - which is starting to cause some issues with the various German princes. And then there's the issue of religion, both in terms of Catholic vs *Protestant, but also secular rulers against the Church's power.

The only way I could see this working in reality would be if all of the empires' opponents were essentially crippled, which means wanking people other than the HRE. So its not so much an HRE-wank as it is an HRE's opponents-screw.

I'm not sure re the Slavic population thing - according to my atlas of world population history, the HRE in 1500 minus Italy and Bohemia would have around 15 million people, while the Polish-Lithuanian union - at its most populous at the time - would have around 8.5 million, which goes up to maybe 11.75 if you thrown in Bohemia and , say, half of Yugoslavia at the time.

Bruce

I seriously neglected a timeline here due to heavy university work. In part recompense, and with a view to a possible reboot, here is a map relating to it.

The names of the various regions in this map mostly follow anglicisations to avoid confusion, where there are 'named' regions I've translated into English.

aegean_228_bc_by_daeres-d5g80wh.png

Seems like I'm plugging this too much but here it is with notes for the rest. If you think I've missed out interesting areas, tell me.

munroifiedlooserunionworldmap.png

Status
Not open for further replies.