Map Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thande

Donor
I thought they use to think Venus was a giant steamy jungle, like Yoda's planet.

Anyhow, awesome map Lego, as per ususal.

That was a different theory, more commonly seen in contemporary science fiction; the tidally locked one was popular in the 1890s in more serious speculation.

Very, very fine. I was going to say it looked tidally locked before I read your preceding post.

Could actually be a paleo-Venus map as well (ie how they used to think Venus might look) - in the 19th century some people thought the planet was basically Earthlike but one hemisphere was burning hot and the other was freezing cold due to its day being almost as long as its year.
Actually, Venus's day is longer than its year by a few weeks, and what is really weird is that the planet has a retrograde rotation. As to what caused Venus to spin in the opposite sense compared w/ Earth, astronomers are not sure of the exact cause, but there are several theories being bandied about.

Thande

Donor
Actually, Venus's day is longer than its year by a few weeks, and what is really weird is that the planet has a retrograde rotation. As to what caused Venus to spin in the opposite sense compared w/ Earth, astronomers are not sure of the exact cause, but there are several theories being bandied about.

Yes, well, it's not quite tidally locked, but it would quite a while for the progression to result in the sun-baked side switching with the other one.

That was a different theory, more commonly seen in contemporary science fiction; the tidally locked one was popular in the 1890s in more serious speculation.

Weinbaum (one of those "WI they'd lived" SF writers) combined both in a 30's story: a tidally locked Venus with contant flows of water from the melting frozen side keeping moist n' soggy a pestilential jungle along the edges of the hot side.
He also had Ridiculously Huge Mountains, a feature suggested by perhaps overly imaginative early astronomers to explain dark spots observed in the Venusian atmosphere. I believe some ways back someone posted some bits from an early astronomy text mentioning them? EdT, was that you?

BTW, very cool, Legolas: although a quick check shows that Michelson and Morley didn't meet until the 1880s OTL: Michelson was only born in 1852, so he'd be a teenager in the late 1860s.

Bruce

Last edited:
1986, week 27:
Right, the Red Navy is no longer a factor, except for its submarines, which are easy enough to find (so darn noisy). Their bases of operation in Norway have fallen.
Invasion of Austria from Switzerland.
NATO moving to encircle Berlin.
Soviets falling back in an attempt to consolodate their lines.
Sweden is almost relieved.

a few Questions, how are the Swiss? whats going in the rest of the world? I mean the Koreas, or Afghanistan, southern Africa ect

Yes, well, it's not quite tidally locked, but it would quite a while for the progression to result in the sun-baked side switching with the other one.
Like I said, its day is a tad longer than its year. The Venusian atmosphere is mostly carbon dioxide and sulfuric acid, and about 90 times thicker than Earth's atmosphere resulting in a greenhouse effect from hell, with NO temperture difference between the day and night sides of the planet. The surface temps hover around 900 degrees F. Place an unprotected person on the surface, and he/she will be flash fried, compacted, and corroded almost instantly. I guess we know where we can send Al-Qaeda, and the Taliban once Gitmo closes.:D:D:D

Like I said, its day is a tad longer than its year. The Venusian atmosphere is mostly carbon dioxide and sulfuric acid, and about 90 times thicker than Earth's atmosphere resulting in a greenhouse effect from hell, with NO temperture difference between the day and night sides of the planet. The surface temps hover around 900 degrees F. Place an unprotected person on the surface, and he/she will be flash fried, compacted, and corroded almost instantly. I guess we know where we can send Al-Qaeda, and the Taliban once Gitmo closes.:D:D:D

I like to believe that everything scientists have told us about Mars and Venus have been a lie and that something very Stargate-esque is going on up there.

I like to believe that everything scientists have told us about Mars and Venus have been a lie and that something very Stargate-esque is going on up there.
If that is the case, then that opens up a much easier way to ship off Al-Qaeda and the Taliban, than using space craft to do the job, and probably be alot cheaper.:D:D:D

I'll tell you why it is retrograde. A planetoid within its orbit, a bit smaller than mars, in comparison to that of Mars and Earth, collided with it. slowing down its orbit to a retrograde fashion. the impact however, was not enough, and position at such an angle, that it didnt form a moon, possibly rings, which then fell back to the surface.. The water that was on Venus is still there, located within the atmosphere in the form of vapor.. Send another mars like object towards the planet, at an equal angle to that of the Earth-Luna Impact but in retrograde, and it will have a moon, and bee sped up. then water can be mined off the planet and sent to Venus..

corourke

Donor
Abyssinia.lower.jpg

I'll tell you why it is retrograde. A planetoid within its orbit, a bit smaller than mars, in comparison to that of Mars and Earth, collided with it. slowing down its orbit to a retrograde fashion. the impact however, was not enough, and position at such an angle, that it didnt form a moon, possibly rings, which then fell back to the surface.. The water that was on Venus is still there, located within the atmosphere in the form of vapor.. Send another mars like object towards the planet, at an equal angle to that of the Earth-Luna Impact but in retrograde, and it will have a moon, and bee sped up. then water can be mined off the planet and sent to Venus..
That is just one of several theories being thrown around, but there isn't any proof yet to confirm it, anymore than there is for the other theories. I think you meant to say slowing down its rotation to a retrograde sense, for its orbit around the sun is prograde just like the rest of the planets in the Solar System.

That is just one of several theories being thrown around, but there isn't any proof yet to confirm it, anymore than there is for the other theories. I think you meant to say slowing down its rotation to a retrograde sense, for its orbit around the sun is prograde just like the rest of the planets in the Solar System.
No. Retrograde on its own axis.. increasing its rotation that it eventually is like that of earth, but West to East. Slowing down its revolutionary period would only cause it to fall towards Sol, completely obliterating it, and shortening the lafe of the Sun due to all those Heavy Metals and what not.

1986, week 28:
General withdrawl from Norway.
Hamburg and Frankfurt pockets shrinking, DDR holding on in Berlin. Line in Germany about to collapse.
Slogging across Sardinia and Sicily continue, Soviet evacuate garrisons there.

1986 week 28.PNG

No. Retrograde on its own axis.. increasing its rotation that it eventually is like that of earth, but West to East. Slowing down its revolutionary period would only cause it to fall towards Sol, completely obliterating it, and shortening the lafe of the Sun due to all those Heavy Metals and what not.
I was just confirming what you meant to say, you just had the word 'orbit' where the word 'rotation' should have been. BTW, if Venus would somehow get dropped into the sun, the effect on the life expectancy of the sun would be unaffected, because the mass of the sun is millions of times greater than that of Venus, and the amount of heavy metals contained within Venus itself would be miniscule compared to the total mass of the sun. So to the sun, Venus would be a crumb size snack, that wouldn't appease its hunger at all, if it could experience hunger.

I was just confirming what you meant to say, you just had the word 'orbit' where the word 'rotation' should have been. BTW, if Venus would somehow get dropped into the sun, the effect on the life expectancy of the sun would be unaffected, because the mass of the sun is millions of times greater than that of Venus, and the amount of heavy metals contained within Venus itself would be miniscule compared to the total mass of the sun. So to the sun, Venus would be a crumb size snack, that wouldn't appease its hunger at all, if it could experience hunger.
I disagree... the suns life would be affected... if only by a couple hundred to a couple thousand years. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.