Macedonian Dynasty survives, next Dynasty then?

Onyx

Banned
Alright, say the Macedonian Dynasty, reponsible for the revival of Byzantium in the late 900s to early 1000s, survives.

But we all know a dynasty can't surely live forever, right?

The Komnenos only became the next Byzantine Emperors because of the power vacuum and chaos after the Macedonians. So, if the Macedonians survived later on, and then, like every other dynasty, fades away, who will take the throne?

I was wondering about this, concerning how Ive seen TLs on here with the Komnenoi and Laskaris

It can be almost anything dynasty. If Macedonian dynasti last few century or even two centuries longer, Laskaris and Komnenos probably butterfly away. There is surely many possible noble families as new imperial dynasty.

It can be almost anything dynasty. If Macedonian dynasti last few century or even two centuries longer, Laskaris and Komnenos probably butterfly away. There is surely many possible noble families as new imperial dynasty.

The Komnenoi won't be- Manuel Erotikos Komnenos was a general under Basil II, and so the family had probably been around for at least a few generations before him. Not sure about the Laskarids, though.

Realistically, though, it could be anyone. The Macedonians came from nowhere- hence their not actually having a surname. The big families of the tenth century were the Doukai, Phokades, and Skleroi, of whom only the Doukai survived into the twelfth century in any position of power. You could easily get a ruling family from the entrenched Eastern warrior aristocracy represented in the tenth century by these families and later by the Komnenoi, Palaiologoi and Melissenoi (amongst others), but I think it's quite possible that a fairly obscure general might be able to take the throne in the event the Macedonians survive into the twelfth century and peter out around 1130 or something.

Butterflies, butterflies!

The Komnenoi won't be- Manuel Erotikos Komnenos was a general under Basil II, and so the family had probably been around for at least a few generations before him. Not sure about the Laskarids, though.

Realistically, though, it could be anyone. The Macedonians came from nowhere- hence their not actually having a surname. The big families of the tenth century were the Doukai, Phokades, and Skleroi, of whom only the Doukai survived into the twelfth century in any position of power. You could easily get a ruling family from the entrenched Eastern warrior aristocracy represented in the tenth century by these families and later by the Komnenoi, Palaiologoi and Melissenoi (amongst others), but I think it's quite possible that a fairly obscure general might be able to take the throne in the event the Macedonians survive into the twelfth century and peter out around 1130 or something.

Butterflies, butterflies!

I assume most of the possible families will inter-marry as well?