looking for a good POD: UK gives Hong Kong back to National China (Taiwan)

Just got the idea and I like it, but...

getting a POD like that isn't that easy.
A shorter land-lease term for the new terretories (something like 70 years) would be a possibility, but that would be to early for my taste.

Postponing Red Chinas recognistion as the official Chinese Government for 25 years is kind of hard as well.

And I want to avoid butterflies, they suck bigtime...

A much stronger reaction of the British government after Tianaman Square, or a "back to Mao" movement in China doesn't sound so good eather.

Any thoughts?
I don't want to give up that idea!

One possible POD (probably the best one IMHO) is for the British to negotiate a perpetual lease on Kowloon and the New Territories rather than a 99-year one, or to buy it from the Qing outright.

I've also had the idea- the POD involved a sort of "dual recognition" where the UK recognises the PRC as the legitimate government of the mainland, but the ROC as the legitimate successor state of the Qing Empire.
Obviously they couldn't actually give it back to the ROC- for the PRC, making a desert and calling it peace might well be preferable to having Nationalist territory on the mainland. Even if a war is avoided, Hong Kong will have to be supplied entirely by air and sea.

Unless the ROC retains the mainland, or at the very least the South of the country, there is no way in hell this would happen.