Look to the West (Thande's first proper timeline, and it's about time!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great stuff. I was looking forward to this one. I like how the tone is changing as we move into modernity and more pressing present-day events.

Part 100? Thande, you've produced a metric work, you rascal. ;) The ASN, I presume, is something akin to the Warsaw Pact or an evil UN*. Well, I'm intrigued, and you have cut off the flow; you are the very devil for cliffhangers, you know! :p Anyway, my thanks for all the work you have done, and I hope you enjoy your rest, coming back refreshed to work 24 hour days for our pleasure. ;)

I misinterpreted the # symbols just as you did, Finn. At least two of us are in that boat! :D

I think the ASN are the Whigs, and the Combine are the Societists.

I get the feeling that the world is more totalitarian (or at the very least more socially controlling) then our TL, or at least where ever they are in the world. I'm so curious about how the modern age ends up.

I suspect the Whigs have become very reactionary in response to the Societist threat, and they are maintaining some sort of modern take on the ancien regime.

I recall Thande said something about the people TTL fighting very bloody wars in the 20th century because they failed to resolve something...anyone remember what it was?

Thande

Donor
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Y'Know, if this thread gets much longer, Ian may have to make a "Look to the West II".
I'm actually going to ask him to close this thread. Any further discussion until I start the next TL thread can go in the "Tales from LTTW" thread. See my fiendishly evil plan to focus attention on that project! ...wait, is this thing still on?

I'm actually going to ask him to close this thread. Any further discussion until I start the next TL thread can go in the "Tales from LTTW" thread.
If you do anything new concerning LTTW in another thread, can you mention & link it here? I normally only follow the threads I've subscribed to and wouldn't want to miss any new awesomeness.

I suspect the Whigs have become very reactionary in response to the Societist threat, and they are maintaining some sort of modern take on the ancien regime.

I recall Thande said something about the people TTL fighting very bloody wars in the 20th century because they failed to resolve something...anyone remember what it was?

Sounds logical to me. I think I remember something about those bloodier 20th century wars, but I can't remember for the life of me why.

I'm actually going to ask him to close this thread. Any further discussion until I start the next TL thread can go in the "Tales from LTTW" thread. See my fiendishly evil plan to focus attention on that project! ...wait, is this thing still on?

Yeah you still had it on:p. Anyways, this sounds like a smart move, but hopefully Ian just locks it. Some of the discussion can be pretty informative and entertaining, plus all the maps (or did you load them in the wiki/Definitive thread?)

Thande, I'm wondering if you can update your timeline in the Timelines section to include maps to make it easier for those who need them to fully understand the changes made?

the direction I see South East asia going in.

Southeast%20Asia%201815.png

Goddamnit, I thought Thande had given up on the "Tales" thing and decided to go ahead and continue the TL.

I mean, do we actually know when LTTW comes out of hiatus?

This thread is better than having no post since a futile bump two months ago...when will Thande start writing again?

Thande

Donor
Priorities, good sir. ;)

I have noticed that LTTW is creeping into my thesis. This section for example:

Yet to study only such violent and decisive interactions between molecules is akin to trying to learn international politics by only studying warfare between nations (the disputed atomic province is annexed by a foreign molecular power, and both molecule-countries are indisputably changed thereafter). Such a study will certainly tell a large part of the story in how molecules interact with each other, but far from everything. Like nations, molecules interact with each other in other ways more subtle than warfare: to continue the analogy, we must consider diplomacy, economic pressure, cultural issues. Milder, less immediately noticeable interactions that may play a part in the war of the molecules that is the subject of study for much chemistry, yet are also worthy of study even when said molecules are at peace with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.