Lands of Ice and Mice: An Alternate History of the Thule

Status
Not open for further replies.
My reading of the previous updates was that most Thule live in land-oriented societies, and that the East Greenland Thule are rather exceptional, being driven into whaling by the worsening climate and shadow of starvation.

Good point. Of course, almost all societies are land-oriented. Possibly this is my fault. The situation I've chronicled is a series of revolutions in land use, with the emergence of a domesticated crop suite, domesticated animals, and management techniques for both. So a lot of the emphasis of this timeline has tended to focus on land and lands.

Carrying capacity of the 'land' has increased dramatically, while the capacity of the sea harvest remained fairly stable for an extended period. This was at least masked by the fact that the sea harvest remained sustainable for larger and larger populations. Not indefinitely, walrus populations started to collapse. But as populations grew, sea harvest grew somewhat, though not in proportion to population, or escalation of land use.

In the later periods of the Agricultural revolution, this shifted somewhat as the Thule developed or adopted new technologies, like fishing nets, enabling greater harvest, and embraced species management.

Hence, after reading Collapse, I am wondering why the other Thule groups aren't doing deep sea whaling, fishing and trading. Particularly the Labrador Thule, the South Greenland Thule and the Thule living in what is now the Alaska Panhandle.

Most Thule whaling, OTL and this Timeline has tended to focus on Beluga. It's a manageable size to kill, has good hide for leather, tends to be close by etc. The big whales to hunt are principally the Bowheads, though you probably see Sperm Whales, Humpbacks etc. These are fifty or sixty ton mammals. Generally, they're not strongly represented in the Canadian Archipelago.

You would see the big whales off the Labrador coast, or in Hudson Bay, or between Greenland and Baffin, or outside the coasts of Alaska. And there are likely some traditions and local skills of hunting these animals. The East Greenlanders have just taken it further than anywhere else, in part because their environment offers fewer other opportunities. For the East Greenland Thule, whaling tended to emerge as the best/easiest option.

Labrador is relatively lightly populated for the Thule, and they do have sea contact with Baffin Island and across the Hudson Bay. Trips or transport between Labrador and Greenland is occasional at best. How much of a relationship between South Greenland and Labrador existed is going to be one of those points for archeologists to debate. Were cultural transmissions direct, or mediated through Ellesmere and Baffin?

However, Labrador is probably one of the biggest recipients of the interchange - they've adopted sheep in a big way, and have emerged as a significant producer of Bog Iron. They've got easier access to forest resources. So there's less pressure to go whaling.

The Alaskan coast? Yes, you're correct, there is a much stronger tradition of sea travel, whaling and harvest of big sea mammals. We can take it as given that at least some Thule have travelled as far south as the Oregon or even Northern California coasts, and on the other side, at least as far south as the shores of the Kamchatka Peninsula or the Kuril Islands.

I actually have some notes here that I'm looking at which touch on Thule visits to the Commander Islands, and the acquisition of the Stellar Sea Cow as a pseudo-domesticate. It's honestly pretty farfetched, but you know how it goes, the Mammoths of Wrangel Island escaped, so this is one of my little personal fanboy consolations.

But of course, to get to the Stellar Sea Cow, I'm going to have to do some posts on the sea tradition in the Pacific. Hope I get to it.

I take your point about the colonization efforts. I hadn't really thought of how difficult it would be to fit a caribou or a musk ox into an umiak and the competitive advantage that gives ice-crossing expeditions when I wrote that post (it's been a while since I've had Thule on the mind, so pardon the rust).

fasquardon

No problem.

Collapse

I read Jared Diamond's "Collapse" last week. It gave me alot of thoughts with regards to this TL.

I too am an admirer of Jared Diamond's work, but it's important not to take everything uncritically. Diamond, I think is a gifted synthesizer. He's taking a lot of work by a lot of different people and putting it together, but because of that, he's not quite an expert on many of the things he discusses. He's rather in the province of reviewing and reading the work of experts and telling it to us, while relating it to the work of other experts in other fields.

Sometimes he gets things flat out wrong. He writes, for instance that the Greenland Norse starved because they did not take up fishing. But this is almost certainly inaccurate. For one thing, fish bones decompose quickly and so will not show up in middens, so their absence is not proof of their absence, if you take my meaning. Also, if you look at the late greenland culture, there's lots of mortars and pestles... but by this time, no barley or grains could grow. So what are they grinding up? Best guess is dried fish. It was probably a staple of the diet, particularly of poor diets.

I noticed that the Thule agriculture package seems to owe alot to Easter Island's agricultural package. Interestingly, Jared mentions that stone mulch has been invented separately many times by many societies.

I actually took my inspiration for Stone Mulch from the Maori of New Zealand. They had a tropical crop package that simply would not grow in that climate. Some parts they had to abandon. But other parts they managed to make work using stone mulch or stone cover agriculture to warm the ground to the point where they could raise a tropical crop in a temperate climate... somewhat.

And to be honest, it wasn't even my idea originally, I think that's a contribution from another reader of the threads. I'd have to go back and search if you want his name.

But yes, correct, it does come up several times in non-western agriculture, particularly when there are issues of temperature.

But European civilization only experimented with it in the 20th Century.

European civilization developed an effective agricultural model, and was quite persistent with it. The thing is, when you're a top dog, you don't take new tricks from the underdgos.

That reinforced my pessimism about the ability of Europeans to adopt Thule agricultural techniques, since they had already been exposed to many of the same techniques OTL, and essentially ignored them, other than treating them as scientific curiosities centuries after their first exposure to stone mulches.

By and large, the Europeans felt that what they had was working for them. It's a status thing.

Also, in the Greenland chapters, Jared speaks of OTL's Inuit/Norse exchange. Even OTL, it seems that the Inuit managed to adopt several technologies from the Norse, while the Norse managed to adopt no Inuit technologies. Mainly the Inuit adopted improved tool shapes from the Norse. That indicates to me that the Norse/Thule exchange in this TL is pretty realistic - and if anything, rather conservative.

Thank you. I'm perpetually worried about the hundred monkeys syndrome.

Another item in the Greenland chapters, Jared spoke about the Inuit's whaling activity. It seemed to me that the Thule in your TL are much less enthusiastic and capable whalers than Jared portrays OTL's Greenland Inuit as being. This has always been something that felt "wrong" to me in your TL, and reading Collapse reinforced that. Yes, whaling is dangerous. The Arctic seas are dangerous. But so is the whole Thule world. Given their ability to make large skin boats (bypassing the wood shortage that made Icelanders and Greenlanders sea-shy), I think the Thule would realistically be much more involved with the sea - near coasts as well as deep seas - than you have shown so far. But perhaps Jared Diamond is overstating the Inuit's whaling abilities and perhaps I am being too gung-ho. Maybe you can set me right.

This is really tough to answer, because I'm not sure how good a handle I have on Pre-European contact Inuit whaling. And by whaling, we're talking about the big balleen whales, not creatures like the Beluga or even Orca.

Here's how I understand things. Whales, the big ones, and particularly the far northern ones like the Bowheads are migratory animals, travelling in pods, along immense migration routes back and forth summer to winter. Most of the arctic sea mammals are migratory in that sense. A lot of these migration routes seem to be quite stable, and particularly on close approaches to land, they would tend to show up off the same shores, and in the same coves and bays, year to year, or every few years. Whether these offshore regions represented navigation landmarks, or traditional feeding grounds, I don't know. The Bowheads had a particular advantage as arctic whales in that they were adapted to smash through up to two feet of ice, creating their own breathing holes.

Inuit whale hunting therefore was an intensely seasonal thing, much like every other part of the Inuit lifestyle. You had a window of opportunity of maybe two weeks or a month during the year, when the migrating whales would be passing close to you.

The basic method of Thule or Inuit whaling was to paddle out close to the whale, and hit it with a harpoon attached to a sealskin or walrus skin bladder. The bladder would amount to a continuous drag on its swimming, making it work harder, and drawing it towards the surface.

Rinse and repeat. You would just keep putting more harpoons into the whale, and tying it to more flotation bladders, until after a day or two, the animal would be exhausted, floating on the surface, and bleeding out. After that, more harpoons until it died.

At that point, you just have the struggle of towing a fifty ton carcass in to land, not the easiest thing in the world. Beaching it at high tide. And then the whole community harvesting and flaying it low tides.

I suspect that whaling was a localized skill rather than a universal one. I'm sure that the techniques found their way into cultural lore, and may have been used as well on smaller scale creatures like seals or walrus or beluga. But it was probably a specialized thing, not all communities did it.

Having said that, I have no read at all in terms of how regular or commonplace it was or how many whales were harvested each year. It certainly went on, we've found stone harpoon tips embedded in the flesh of whales, indicating that some got away over the years.

On the other hand, it wasn't nearly at a level of the commercial whalers who impacted the population.

On the other other hand, the bowhead population seems to have been more reslient than other whale species, which implies perhaps that the Bowheads had adapted to some degree of human hunting pressure before commercial whaling.

Guessing the magnitude of inuit/thule whaling OTL is just tough. I don't know of any archeological sites that suggest massive amounts of historical or pre-historical whaling, or huge quanitities of baleen being found in archeological sites.

It's complicated by the fact that the Inuit were eventually shut out of whaling by a variety of factors, including collapse of species and monopoly of commercial whaling.

Now, looking at this ATL, can we say that whaling developed identically to OTL? Probably not. The difference here is that there's a lot more social and intellectual capital involved in land based practices. The ATL Thule simply had a greater suite of opportunities and resources available to them than the OTL inuit. So would that make, overall, less social interest in whaling? I think so.

On the other hand, the population density is greater, and the greater population is probably looking for more opportunities. So even with less proportional social interest, you might see as much or more whaling than in OTL.

So, all I can say is that it's probably similar, but with differences in terms of timing of the emergence of the skill-set, and different degrees of local emphasis and, probably different sets of details.

My inclination is to think that OTL and in most places ATL, whaling activities were probably near shore. This is a fifty or sixty ton mammal that we're talking about. Assuming you kill one, you've got to drag it to shore, that's probably not an easy thing. You wouldn't want to drag it from further than you need to. Also, killing it is probably going to take a day, or the better part of a day, so you might be lead out on quie a chase.

I'm thinking most whale kills were likely within 50 miles of shore. I'll pick an arbitrary number and say 80%. 99.9% were within 200 miles of shore.

So as far as the East Coast Thule go, I don't see them as a dramatic departure from the body of Thule culture - ie, they're not doing stuff that other Thule groups can't do, rather, they're dipping into the same well of culture and technology.

What makes them distinctive, is in the intensity of whale killing - the numbers of harvest, a sustained and regular thing, rather than an occasional, and the degree of cultural and social investment - ie, more and bigger umiaks, much more use of whale bone and balleen on a larger scale as a resource, and much deeper seafaring - including deep water sailing several hundred miles out to sea, with commensurate evolution of navigation and sailing skills.

There's some evidence that the Umiaks had sails, which might actually precede European contact. The East Coast Umiaks, whether by invention, acquisition from the Norse, or from the Thule cultural well definitely used sails, and actually used sails to help pilot dead whales into shore.

One of the constant themes in Collapse is deforestation. I've mentioned this idea before, but after reading Collapse, I think Thule logging expeditions to the Southern forests is going to be a big thing - and the big way in which the Thule contribute to environmental degradation. Wood is just hugely valuable and useful. Wood is also the sea in which the Thule's Southern enemies swim in.

Essentially yes, although the swampy cree areas that are to the south are often literally swamps of muskeg, permafrost, sands of trees, and rivers, streams and lakes running through it all. Good luck trying to log muskeg.

That said, a lot of these rivers drain north into or adjacent to Thule territories, so yes, there's going to be fairly systematic local logging.

As soon as the Thule get iron axes in an area, I am betting we will see winter "logging armies" descending on frontier forests, clearcutting the trees, then withdrawing with their treasure before the natives can concentrate to attack them.

That's certainly going to be happening. It definitely won't endear them to the people of the region.

This would give frontier Thule a valuable trade good to pay for the constant war with the Southern enemies, and result in a creeping "tundrification" that opens new lands to the Thule agricultural package and degrades the hunting for the Thule's enemies.

I don't think we'll see tundrification. But I do think we'll see forests being replaced in parts by scrub brush, a lot more erosion in some areas, and impacts on water flow. Lots more mud, for instance, coming down rivers. Some subsidence of lands. Flooding of muskeg and negative effects from that as permafrost melts.

It will have the effect of making the lands less hospitable and predictable for those who live there, which will not endear the Thule to the southern peoples.

Thule getting ahold of plentiful (not plentiful compared to Europe of course, but a positive wealth compared to what they had before) wood is going to supercharge the civilized centers buying this wood from the frontiers of tundrification. Wooden tools, wooden boats, wooden buildings, wooden sleds, wooden toys, maybe even wooden fuel in some places - they are all going to enrich Thule civilization.

Agreed, major wood boom. I could see owning a wooden house, or having a house supported by wooden beams being a major status symbol. Like having your ceiling plated with gold.

Something that Collapse brought into focus for me is the importance of soil - the robustness of soil to erosion and its fertility are hugely important, and often ignored by us moderns. How robust are the arctic soils to what the Thule are subjecting them too?

Fairly good, as far as I can tell. Arctic soils are generally very poor soils, often bare steps above gravel, and often quite thin. Organic matter is present in artic soils, but is often very slow to decompose and release nutrients, due to overall low temperatures. Rates of biological and chemical activity tend to be slow. Spots of warmth - such as around fox dens, or in garbage dumps, are often host to blooms of productivity. The relative poverty of arctic soils, along with the short seasons is a principle reason for the long crop cycles.

Thule agriculture, particularly stone mulch and mound building, tends to be very good for arctic soils. The mounds act as wind breaks, keeping light soil particles from being distributed away. Mounds and stone mulch raise the local temperature, allowing for both more live biological activity, and for organic decomposition and chemical processes which enrich the soil. Snow cover, and drift accumulation preserves a degree of warmth, and the snow melt tends to wash soil particles down under the stone cover, as well as preserving moisture. Thule Agriculture becomes steadily more productive as time goes on, and enhances the amount of biomass in a region.

The Norse, by the way, had very good soil conservation and management techniques, which worked very well in their original homelands. The arctic and sub-arctic was just too tough for them.

If the Thule package is compatible with Arctic soils, then it is a really big and powerful advantage. If there are ways that the Thule practices degrade their soils, that is going to be a big factor in weakening Thule in an area. Does anyone have any knowledge about Arctic soil science that could bring some clarity to this question?

In a general sense, the Thule package works very well for arctic soils. How it reacts to richer southern soils is an interesting question. Some of the techniques may not be as necessary, or may be counterproductive.

In some areas, even the Thule package didn't work out so well. The textbook example is the Canadian Archipelago west of Baffin Island. The region is essentially an arctic desert with very little precipitation. Thule agriculturalists moving into a region tapped the region's water with diversion and irrigation, or pulled up permafrost. In the long run, they couldn't make it work, and the people who would become musk ox herders pushed them out.

I am a little disappointed with the picture of Siberian history so far - I've never been exactly comfortable with the unrelenting omnidirectional hostility the Thule exhibit to non-Thule in this TL. I'd hoped that Siberia would be the place we'd be seeing the Thule hybridize with their neighbours. Now, this TL is your baby, and I do have a pretty positive view of human beings, so this is your call to make and it may be the more correct call. I am curious about your reasoning though.

Once, when I was driving through northern Saskatchewan, I came across a town called 'North Battleford.' It was next to 'South Battleford.' I stopped and took a look around. There wasn't anything remarkable to it.

So I checked in to see why it was called 'Battleford'. A ford is just an easy crossing over a stream or river, that was simple enough. Had a battle taken place here?

It turns out that there had been an incident in the 1885 North West Rebellion. But that wasn't it - the townsfolk in that incident had fled to "Fort Battleford" - ie, the name preceded the incident.

As nearly as I could figure, the name, translated, had preceded the white settlers in the area. This had been the site of a war or battle between Indian peoples. Battle Ford. Possibly, it had often been such a site.

If you go looking around old regional place maps through the north, you find that - 'Battle Ford's, 'War Lakes', etc. Place names marking the sites of conflicts that are now lost to history.

Now the lesson here is that often people are warlike in a way that we find uncomfortable in the modern world. For a subsistence culture living off the land, moving from place to place through the seasons, the presence of strangers can be a scary thing. That rabbit that a stranger catches might have been your dinner, and because he took your rabbit, your family goes hungry.

The resources that meant survival or starvation were often unevenly distributed, sometimes bounties or good locations were thin. A preferred fishing camp near some rapids could be a valuable thing, something you were not prepared to share with strangers, and more importantly, not something you could easily replace if you were driven away from it. The next good spot for a fishing camp might be twenty miles away, and someone else might already be occupying it.

It's not always that way, of course. If circumstances allow, there are traditions of hospitality. Hell, during things like salmon runs, hundreds of people would gather, impromptu towns or villages would form. At other times, peoples passing through were quite tolerated.

But still, there was a jealous eye on resources required for survival. I remember reading historical accounts of Indians being upset over settlers cutting down trees - because as far as the Indians were concerned, those were their damned trees, they had the rights to harvest them, and their toes were being stepped on and rights infringed.

A stranger passing through could be an interesting thing. A stranger who takes a rabbit, no big deal. On the other hand, a stranger harvesting your beaver.... that's killing matters.

So relations ran the gammut. Now, let me throw a couple of variables at you.

Ease of communication made a big difference in terms of war or peace. The dakota and ojibwa were different peoples, but if they sat down, there was enough similarities in language and culture, they could make themselves understood. The degree of conflict and warfare tended to be highest when the groups were most alien to each other.

I remember a Cree friend of mine from Quebec describing how an Uncle or Grandfather had encountered an Inuit woman - the event was described in terms of supernatural terror, the woman was as much ghoul as human, they fled and they were persuaded that they had barely escaped with their lives and souls from a mortal danger. There was no sense that they had encountered a human being, and no possibility in that encounter of communication.

There's also a very graphic description of an English explorer, I think in the McKenzie valley, travelling with some Indian guides. When they encountered an Inuit family, there was nothing but war, and the explorer was horrified at the brutal murder of an inuit women by men he had come to see as friends and as decent people.

The Thule/Inuit were profoundly alien, linguistically, ethnically and culturally, to the southern peoples, and for that matter, to the asian peoples. There's no way we can quite get around that.

Even in OTL, as my examples show, they were very alien to the peoples to the South, and while there may have been peaceable contacts, the borderlands between the peoples were dangerous and murderous places.
The other observation is that stable cultures are a lot easier to have peaceful relations with than expanding cultures. The problem is that expanding cultures expand into your territory, they expand into your resources, so it becomes a matter of them or you.

In the case of the Dorset people, the Thule expansion meant obliteration, it was as simple as that.

In terms of the big wave of southern expansion, the creek, dene and innu saw it and experienced it as clearly genocidal. Suddenly, there were all these foreigners either kicking them out of their homes or killing them. The survivors moved south, displacing or joining with relatives. There wasn't a good impression left, particularly as Thule activities

Looking at the Asian expansion, one of the things I want to emphasize was that relations with the Chukchi were originally somewhat good - you had the usual reindeer rustling, bride stealing, shoving matches over this or that. But the degree of conflict was relatively low - the Thule occupied lands that the Chukchi had little use for. It was easier for the two groups to avoid each other, and engage in limited cooperation/warfare as circumstances dictate.

As the Thule accumulate cultural advantages and push hard into Chukchi territories, then you see a state of warfare escalating and becoming steadily more intense. You also see this happening along the Arctic coastal area of Siberia, as the Thule move in and essentially say over and over 'this is ours now, fuck off out of here.'

It goes to a point where some level of balance is achieved. The Thule push south until Evenk or Yakuts on Ponies bloody them right back, and at that point, their package has the advantage. Expansion stops.

Thule culture as a whole is one in rapid flux, and in terms of impacts on its neighbors, its hard to see how that is peaceable or taken as peaceable in many circumstances.

Eventually the contest for territory settles down, and things will devolve back to cattle raiding, cooperation, tribute and trade. But for that, you need stability and time.

It doesn't even mean that there are not and have not been stable peaceable contacts and exchange between the Chuchki, the Koryak, the Chuvan, the Evenk and Yakut and the Thule. The Thule at least have adopted the Evenk reindeer saddle, which is probably the best available design.

But it's unlikely that the Chuvan or Chuchki would initially adopt Thule Agriculture. That's a pretty big leap. On the other hand, they'll happily steal and herd Musk Ox, but the Thule will systematically occupy the best Musk Ox territory. For their part, the Thule would love to adopt Yakut ponies, but the ponies don't work terribly well in the regions they control.

So the exchange is going to be limited, and mostly what you'll see is a struggle to establish borders, given the land use and technology of each side. Each side will rule where its package works better than the other side, more or less. Once that stabilizes.... well, then we may see more changes. I could see the Sammi or the Chukchi adopting and adapting Thule Agriculture over the course of a hundred years or so, perhaps faster with the Sammi.

This isn't even the universal model - the Sea Thule expanded mostly into empty lands, their responses to conflict were to move away and then build some bridges. They're much more tolerant of and receptive to other cultures, so much so that they become peacemakers for the Siberian Thule.

So far, the only people the Thule haven't been unrelenting murderous bastards to are the Norse in Greenland and Iceland. The only society from real history that have that sort of unrelenting hostility that I know of is the Sentinelese of the Andaman Islands, which we still know nothing about really, since contact has always been a matter of kill or be killed until 1991, when the first known friendly contact was achieved by Trilokinath Pandit.

I think in Jared Diamond, he reports a case of a Polynesian expedition landing on an Island already inhabited by Polynesians, and the locals simply killed every member of the expedition except for one woman.

The Thule seem murderous, but really, mostly they left other peoples alone until circumsances opened doors wide - in the case of the Southern Expansion, it was a huge social crisis. In the case of Asia, it was an accumulation of advantages.

So... Why are the Thule, across all of Asia and North America (but not in Europe), so hostile to their neighbours? Where are the Thule groups who get on better with their Cree neighbours than there other Thule neighbours?

Well, as I've said, the Sea Thule are pretty easygoing when they encounter the Sammi, the Nennets, the Europeans.

I suspect that the interface with the Dene is less genocidal, particularly in Alaska. And the Labrador Thule probably have a reasonably good relationship with the Labrador Cree.

Expansion is often disruptive, and often violent. I do apologize, but that's the story of human history.

Where is the trade and intermarriage that inevitably happens when human groups live together? Where are the Thule conquering or being conquered by neighbours and forming hybrid societies (OK, I remember discussion of one of those maybe existing in the Pacific Northwest, and there is Iceland). If nothing else, I'd be expecting to see Dene and Thule society merging in Alaska by 1300 at the latest.

1300? I'd go 1500 or so...

Collapse

I don't take Jared Diamond's work uncritically. For one thing, he tries to compress alot of history into relatively small books. With the best will in the world, that causes problems for the uncritical reader.

But the book did raise some interesting questions, which is why I shared my questions here.

Whaling

My sources for OTL's Inuit whaling activities are limited to a few paragraphs in Collapse and the internet. So usual caveats apply.

Based on those, it is my impression that the Inuit were one of the great pre-modern whaling societies. Their success at hunting the bowhead whale particularly (which previous societies had not been able to effectively harvest, due to being more tightly constrained to the coasts) was a big reason for their explosive expansion in OTL. It also seems to be a major way the Inuit suffered from the little ice age - after 1350, bowhead whales stopped coming so far North, depriving a whole lot of Inuit of a big food source. (Only Alaska was able to continue whaling through this period, according to wikipedia.)

After about 1350, the climate grew colder during the period known as the Little Ice Age. During this period, Alaskan natives were able to continue their whaling activities, but Inuit were forced to abandon their hunting and whaling sites in the high Arctic as bowhead whales disappeared from Canada and Greenland. These Inuit then had to subsist on a much poorer diet in addition to losing access to essential raw materials for their tools and architecture previously derived from whaling.
The Inuit's energetic whaling (compared to other pre-modern societies - the explosive harpoon was an enormous leap, and the Thule can't aspire to that sort of energy) was also a reason why the toggle headed harpoon was so important. While toggle heads are good for sealing as well, the improvement they make to a whaling expedition's survival rates and success rates make it a whole new ball game.

I should also note, when I mean "deep sea whaling", I am speaking of whaling out of sight of land. And when I say "deep sea voyaging", I mean the ability to navigate an umiak across open sea for more than a day. Enough for the Labrador Thule to tap the grand banks, or the Baffin Thule to voyage directly to the Southern tip of Greenland, or for the Hudson Thule to voyage directly across Hudson bay, rather than be limited to hugging the coast.

European civilization developed an effective agricultural model, and was quite persistent with it. The thing is, when you're a top dog, you don't take new tricks from the underdgos.
Quite. Even when those tricks would offer advantages, such as when the US tried to farm the US Southwest - another region where people invented stone mulch.

I was making that point less at you than at the posters on this thread who hold hope that Thule agriculture will spread to non-Thule people in any major way before the industrial revolution, at the earliest. I should have made that clear.

On Hostility

My reading of history is that most times when people come into contact, there is a mix of hostility, ignoring and friendly relations. That absolutes are really quite rare. People move between groups, goods move between groups, ideas move between groups, even when they are groups most often engaged in killing each-other. Killing dangerous people is an expensive and dangerous activity. Even in cases where there is a large impetus (cultural or environmental) to engage in that dangerous activity, people need a rest sometime. So humans are good at avoiding conflict as well as engaging in conflict. The way you write things, it sounds like the Thule are almost never engaging in intermarriage, trade or simple ignoring of neighbouring groups. Maybe that is an artifact of how I read your meaning, and I am missing the nuance (I know I missed the nuance you mentioned in Thule/Chukchi relations).

You make good points on the impacts of expansionism and the Thule's alien-ness on their neighbour relations.

fasquardon

Whaling

My sources for OTL's Inuit whaling activities are limited to a few paragraphs in Collapse and the internet. So usual caveats apply.

Based on those, it is my impression that the Inuit were one of the great pre-modern whaling societies. Their success at hunting the bowhead whale particularly (which previous societies had not been able to effectively harvest, due to being more tightly constrained to the coasts) was a big reason for their explosive expansion in OTL.

Hmmm. That's a very interesting perspective.

It also seems to be a major way the Inuit suffered from the little ice age - after 1350, bowhead whales stopped coming so far North, depriving a whole lot of Inuit of a big food source. (Only Alaska was able to continue whaling through this period, according to wikipedia.)

Fascinating. You only have to look at the water geography between Greenland and Victoria Island to see how the area would have become difficult for Bowheads.

Apart from Alaska, the only other area that it would have been feasible to hunt Bowheads would have been Greenland's East Coast, and and the Little Ice Age would have likely pushed the Bowheads further and further away from the coastlines. So the East Coast Thule would have been forced to follow them further and further out.

The pieces fit together nicely, thanks.

I should also note, when I mean "deep sea whaling", I am speaking of whaling out of sight of land. And when I say "deep sea voyaging", I mean the ability to navigate an umiak across open sea for more than a day. Enough for the Labrador Thule to tap the grand banks, or the Baffin Thule to voyage directly to the Southern tip of Greenland, or for the Hudson Thule to voyage directly across Hudson bay, rather than be limited to hugging the coast.

Well, looking at the Canadian arctic, we can see how that seagoing capacity would evolve quite naturally over time.

We're not even arguing here, since I'm certainly prepared to grant such capacities. My own vision of deep sea voyaging is of sea voyages and reasonable navigation for several days, perhaps a few weeks at a time across hundreds of miles of sea.

In that respect, the East Coast Thule had something of an advantage - Greenland is essentially a two thousand mile long north south wall. Once you wanted to go home, all you needed to do was make sure you were heading west-ish and you'd end up somewhere along the Greenland coast, and from there, sail up or down till you got home.

Anyway, for the East Coast Thule to go from your definition of deep water seafaring to mine isn't really a quantum leap of technology or skill, but an elaboration and build on existing skill sets.

Apart from Alaska, the only other area that it would have been feasible to hunt Bowheads would have been Greenland's East Coast, and and the Little Ice Age would have likely pushed the Bowheads further and further away from the coastlines. So the East Coast Thule would have been forced to follow them further and further out.

From what I've been reading today, it sounds like bowhead were hunted throughout the Canadian Arctic before the little ice age. I am not sure if that includes the islands of the Canadian Arctic or just the continental coast - I'll post some links if I come across anything that can speak to either question with some authority.

Here is a map of the bowhead whale's range in the modern day: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cypron-Range_Balaena_mysticetus.svg

From that, I would bet that the Inuit were hunting bowhead even in the Northernmost islands of the Canadian Arctic before the wee ice age.

With regards to sea ranges, it does seem like we are saying the same thing with different words.

Maybe it is an artifact of that and the focus on the Greenland Thule and the Sea Thule's sea technology - I had gotten the impression that the Hudson Thule, Canadian Arctic Island Thule and Labrador Thule were limited to sea journeys in view of their coasts. Was that a wrong impression?

fasquardon

We lack any real historical records of pure Thule or Inuit seamanship. At best, we have only tempting bits of information. The records of Umiak sixty feet long, or stories of Kayaks making it all the way to Scotland.

Did the pre-contact Thule have sails? At some point they did. But this would be almost unique for pre-contact Colombian cultures. The likeliest assessment is that if they did have sails for their Umiak, it came quite late, and probably as a result of cultural transfer from Norse or Europeans.

Mind you, with all those floating pieces of ice every spring, they're probably in a good position to dope it out themselves.

But assuming a lack of sails, the Inuit/Thule really only had a few options for sea travel - going with currents, and muscle power towards or against the currents.

Even with sails, it's likely we'd be seeing pretty primitive sails, square rigs or variants, rather than lateens, and probably relatively small and low.

So how far is reasonable sea travel under the circumstances, and what are the distances involved.

Well, the numbers are pretty consistent. All of these distances are as the crow flies. In fact, the currents are probably not all that welcoming or convenient, and if you're working with the current, your actual distances travelling - going with the current and paddling or low level sailing, is probably half again or twice that - add 50% or 100% to the distances.

I used the following distance calculator:

http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm

* It's about 300 miles from the closest point in Greenland to Iceland. (450 to 600)

* About 350 miles from Greenland to Svalbard. (475 to 700)

* 200 miles from Svalbard to Franz Josef. (300 to 400)

* 400 miles from Svalbard to Norway. (600 to 800)

* 500 miles from Svalbard to Novaya Zemyla (750 to 1000)

* 250 miles from Franz Josef to Novaya Zemyla. (375 to 500)

* 300 miles from Franz Josef to Sevenaya Zemyla (450 to 600)

* 400 miles from Severnaya Zemyla to Novaya Zemyla. (600 to 800)

This is basically the Eastward expansion of the Sea Thule, and within many of these large distances you actually have small intermediate islands. So many of the hops are actually shorter and more manageable.

Now, how fast are the Thule able to move across these distances? Not a lot of hard literature, but we can probably analogize from this:

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Journals/TAPA/82/Speed_under_Sail_of_Ancient_Ships*.html

Make a long story short, for Mediteranean sailing ships using combinations of crude square sails and rowers, with favourable wind, they could make about 125 miles a day. Maybe half that 60 miles a day with poor winds.

I think its reasonable to use this as a decent marker for Thule sea travel. Adjust for lack of sails, reliance on currents and muscle power - let's say a speed between 100 miles a day and 50 miles a day. Reasonable?

So under reasonably optimum conditions, the Thule should be able to get to most places anywhere from 4 to 8 days. Of course, a round trip would be at least twice that. You could see stopping to rest before heading back in many cases.

But 4 to 8 days strikes me as pretty reasonable deep sea faring for Umiaks powered mostly by muscle, and possibly poor sails and relying upon the current. Particularly if following whales out incrementally further each year.

Now, for the heck of it, let's compare some other distances.

* It's 250 miles from the closest point on Greenland to the closest point on Baffin Island, and those distances open up dramatically going north to about 400 miles.

* It's about 500 miles, direct as the crow flies between Greenland and the closest point of the Labrador coast. That opens up to about 650 miles from the Southwesternmost point of Greenland to the most southerly shore of Labrador.

* Across the Hudson Bay girth, without stopping for islands, we've got about 500 miles.

But most distances between lands are actually a lot shorter in the archipelago. Baffin Island is separated from a mainland peninsula at its closest by a ten mile straight. Elsewhere, Baffin is separated from other islands, from Labrador, or from the mainland by straits of between 100 and 50 miles.

Starting from narrowest points, you could see travellers in and around Baffin venturing further out to the point of fifty or hundred mile journeys. Same as for the other islands. There are very few gulfs between Islands of more than 150 miles, and most of the Islands straits are within 100 miles width.

So bottom line is that even if you head straight out, by and large, you won't be out of site of land for very long. Given our guestimate of distances, most sea voyages in the archipelago won't be more than a day or two.

Respectable, and a good baseline to work out and slowly build up to more ambitious distances on the East coast.

Now, do we see voyages between south Greenland and Baffin, or South Greenland and Labrador? Possibly some.

* On the positive side, the South Greenland Thule probably have a fair chance of understanding geography and knowing that Baffin and maybe Labrador are directly to the west and south. Knowing is half the battle.

* But the South Thule haven't been developing the same deep sea whaling traditions as the East Coast Thule. They might, or they might be able to retain or enlist East Coasters for voyages.

* Generally though, its probably more difficult - the distances are greater - not so much with Baffin, but particularly with Labrador.

* But you wouldn't see colonizing expeditions a la Svalbard. There's already Thule there.

* You probably wouldn't see a lot of extensive trading voyages... if for no other reason than that the Ellesmere Trading Network would probably be ... unsympathetic. It's questionable as to what would be traded.

* I think that there's less motivation overall, west of Greenland, or in the south, for extended sea voyages.

On Hostility

My reading of history is that most times when people come into contact, there is a mix of hostility, ignoring and friendly relations. That absolutes are really quite rare. People move between groups, goods move between groups, ideas move between groups, even when they are groups most often engaged in killing each-other. Killing dangerous people is an expensive and dangerous activity. Even in cases where there is a large impetus (cultural or environmental) to engage in that dangerous activity, people need a rest sometime. So humans are good at avoiding conflict as well as engaging in conflict. The way you write things, it sounds like the Thule are almost never engaging in intermarriage, trade or simple ignoring of neighbouring groups. Maybe that is an artifact of how I read your meaning, and I am missing the nuance (I know I missed the nuance you mentioned in Thule/Chukchi relations).

You make good points on the impacts of expansionism and the Thule's alien-ness on their neighbour relations.

Well, the initial approaches to the Norse and to the southern peoples was generally to ignore them and to leave each other well enough alone.

With the Cree, Innu and Dene, that failed when the little ice age brought down the northern agricultural economies, driving populations south, and eventually into their territories. Then its pretty naked conflict. There really is no other way to invade or resist invasion.

With the Norse, you could have had conflict, and certainly the Norse themselves were ready for battle. It turned out differently.

With the Chukchi, you had some period of mixing and mingling, before social shifts among the Thule moved things into a state of escalating and ferocious warfare.

I suppose that I may not have written about as much peaceful mingling as we might like to see because on the whole, that mingling has not produced all that much in terms of concrete results. The world of the southern Indians is a very different one from the Tundra of the Thule. And as the Thule adopted agriculture, those worlds and lifestyles became increasingly different and far apart.

There's some scope for the Thule to trade with the south - tobacco, shells and beads, some specialized flint, perhaps woods and tools go one way - medicinal roseroot, tools, copper and bronze find their way the other way.

And certainly as Siberia stabilizes, there may be some room for less antagonistic relations.

fasquardon[/QUOTE]

If you don't get around to it before leaving, I'd like to flesh out the interactions between the Tlingit and the Thule a bit. It's been hinted around, but given much of the initial conjecture came from me, I figure if the master is retiring I could do the next best thing.

Kayaks and umiaks are some of the fastest seacraft invented pre-deisel. I've read an account of Inuit harrying European ships - they'd paddle close, fire arrows or spears, then paddle away again. They were so fast that the European sailors didn't manage to shoot even one Inuit in return and ended up having to withdraw. I'd quote you a reference if I could, but it's been lost in the haze of memory.

I don't think comparing seacraft like that to Mediterranean galleys is at all a good comparison. Though I have been having real trouble finding reliable numbers on what speeds and ranges traditional kayaks and umiaks were capable of.

Modern kayaks can manage 5-6 mph. From my reading, modern kayaks are also slower than traditional kayaks, let alone traditional kayaks in the hands of experienced paddlers. So for my calculations, I've been assuming the Thule could make 150-200 miles in a day. That may be conservative.

Given that it seems all Thule on the coast before the little ice age hits will have experience going out of sight of land to hunt bowhead whales, I have difficulty seeing why the Ellesmere traders and their competitors would not be sailing directly between Baffin Island, South Greenland and Labrador. Particularly since those areas are some of the poorest places in the Thule realm post Norse exchange. Labrador in particular has alot of iron, cheese and wool to trade, which does them little good if they cannot trade. And Labrador and South Greenland are both places that would benefit from adventurous fishing - both are only a 1-3 days from the grand banks.

Given how good OTL Inuit sea-craft was, how early they developed it (the evidence indicates that they were accomplished seafarers before they expanded out of Alaska) and how great the advantages are to sailing across the Labrador Sea, I have difficulty seeing how there couldn't be regular traffic across it.

fasquardon

Kayaks and umiaks are some of the fastest seacraft invented pre-deisel. I've read an account of Inuit harrying European ships - they'd paddle close, fire arrows or spears, then paddle away again. They were so fast that the European sailors didn't manage to shoot even one Inuit in return and ended up having to withdraw. I'd quote you a reference if I could, but it's been lost in the haze of memory.

They are extremely light craft, therefore shallow draft, minimal inertia. Yes, I do believe that they'd just zoom over the water.

I don't think comparing seacraft like that to Mediterranean galleys is at all a good comparison. Though I have been having real trouble finding reliable numbers on what speeds and ranges traditional kayaks and umiaks were capable of.

It's difficult to find appropriate standards of comparison, I agree.

Modern kayaks can manage 5-6 mph. From my reading, modern kayaks are also slower than traditional kayaks, let alone traditional kayaks in the hands of experienced paddlers. So for my calculations, I've been assuming the Thule could make 150-200 miles in a day. That may be conservative.

Well, we are talking human muscle at work. People are not machines. To analogize, a trained athlete can do twenty five miles an hour on a sprint. On the other hand two and a half hours is a good time for a marathon, which gives us a speed closer to ten miles an hour. These are for peak athletes.

I have no difficulty acknowledging that kayaks or umiaks when under full paddle could be much faster than other seacraft. But as essentially muscle powered craft... well, people need to rest, they need to pace themselves.

Given that it seems all Thule on the coast before the little ice age hits will have experience going out of sight of land to hunt bowhead whales, I have difficulty seeing why the Ellesmere traders and their competitors would not be sailing directly between Baffin Island, South Greenland and Labrador. Particularly since those areas are some of the poorest places in the Thule realm post Norse exchange.

Being light craft, the Umiak have limited carrying capacity. So I'm not sure how much freight would be taken on extended sea voyages.

But what are the key resources that South Greenland trades? Mostly sheep's wool and soapstone. Sheep are present in Labrador and on Baffin island through diffusion, so they're essentially null. Soapstone may move.

Labrador becomes a center of Bog Iron production, but it's competing with superior meteoric iron from Cape York and Telluric Island from Disko bay, both of which are largely under the control of the Ellesmere network. So I suppose the question is why would Ellesmere promote a rival Iron producer.

Labrador Iron crosses over into Baffin and from there to Hudson Bay, but is considered inferior. Labrador wool travels further, because there's more continuing demand for wool - which Baffin, South Greenland and Labrador supply.

Cheeses in Labrador and South Greenland are basically locally produced and consumed.

Labrador in particular has alot of iron, cheese and wool to trade, which does them little good if they cannot trade. And Labrador and South Greenland are both places that would benefit from adventurous fishing - both are only a 1-3 days from the grand banks.

1 to 3 days? I make the south tip of Greenland to be about 800 or 900 miles from the Grand Banks. Southern Labrador to be about 400 to 500 miles from the Grand Banks. That's an ambitious sea voyage.

I think that it would also require an adjustment of technology. As I understand Umiak, they were transport craft (also called 'Women's Boats). I have no difficulty believing that they carried war parties or went whale hunting. Or that they carried limited amounts of freight. But to fish from them? Particularly in situations where nets and netting technology was fairly new. I think that you'd have to see substantial evolution in both sea netting and umiak construction.

I'm often accused of moving the Thule too fast, too far. But I try to be conservative, and I try to be careful in justifying the moves.

Could a regular sailing channel carrying people and trade goods regularly open up between Baffin and Greenland, or Greenland and Ellesmere? Eventually. Could the Baffin/Labrador trade route intensify? Inevitably. Could the Labrador or South Greenland Thule begin fishing the Grand Banks? Eventually. I think though that we'd need another century for this to develop, and by that time, we're well into the period of European contact.

Given how good OTL Inuit sea-craft was, how early they developed it (the evidence indicates that they were accomplished seafarers before they expanded out of Alaska) and how great the advantages are to sailing across the Labrador Sea, I have difficulty seeing how there couldn't be regular traffic across it.

Well, the Labrador sea voyage is significantly more ambitious than the Iceland or Svalbard voyage, or the Svalbard to Franz Josef, or Franz Josef to Novaya hops of the East Greenland/Sea thule. The distances are substantially greater, which makes it more difficult.

And I'm not sure that the advantages that you refer to are substantive enough or obvious enough. Over time, for instance, I could see Bog Iron from Labrador moving to South Greenland. But there's always a lag time before this moves.

A matter of timing. We need more time.

They are extremely light craft, therefore shallow draft, minimal inertia. Yes, I do believe that they'd just zoom over the water.

The advantages of the design have more to do with being long, thin, and ergonomic

Well, we are talking human muscle at work. People are not machines. To analogize, a trained athlete can do twenty five miles an hour on a sprint. On the other hand two and a half hours is a good time for a marathon, which gives us a speed closer to ten miles an hour. These are for peak athletes.
The problem there is that peak athletes are... Athletes. They aren't men who work hard every day doing difficult things because the other choice is starvation. As an example, I once read about a guy who hauled Mississippi barges every day of his working life - he may have been the strongest man alive - but just being a working class nobody, who cares that he could haul 100 tonnes of barge continuously for 12 hours a day?

With OTL's Inuit, they really were up against the starvation wall. They had the motivation to go deep into the sea doing dangerous hard work, because it was a better option than sitting on their rears and getting killed by a dangerous world anyway.

Of course, the Thule AREN'T OTL's Inuit, and maybe the energy they've been putting into agriculture in TTL means they don't become as accomplished in sea-craft as our Inuit.

But what are the key resources that South Greenland trades? Mostly sheep's wool and soapstone. Sheep are present in Labrador and on Baffin island through diffusion, so they're essentially null. Soapstone may move.
Mainly I am thinking that all of the places would mainly be interested in trading food - South Greenland and Labrador have been described as being isolated. So if starvation hits, they have less places to go trading or begging for food than Thule families in the middle of Alaska, meaning bad years are more likely to be fatal. So connecting two ends of the road makes them the middle of a road, meaning that starving to death is that little bit less likely.

And inevitably, that trade route being established would mean other things flow across it - wood, soapstone, iron, walrus hide - comparative advantage means that even if Labrador is worse at producing everything than Baffin Island or South Greenland, trading with more neighbours will still increase the wealth and security of the Labrador Thule and the wealth and security of the neighbours they trade with.

1 to 3 days? I make the south tip of Greenland to be about 800 or 900 miles from the Grand Banks. Southern Labrador to be about 400 to 500 miles from the Grand Banks. That's an ambitious sea voyage.
OK, I measured the distances from South Greenland to the Grand Banks wrong. Mea culpa.

Still, the Grand Banks are so rich that they became one of the most important fishing grounds of people thousands of miles away in Western Europe - and the Basque and Irish fishermen weren't sailing caravels, they were sailing to the Grand Banks in ships that most people today would call outsized rowboats. This is why I am having such difficulty believing that the Thule, with far more capable sea craft, much closer to the wealth of fish, are not exploiting the fishing grounds.

Also, the Labrador, Baffin Is. and West Greenland Thule just need to get caught by the Labrador current to find the Grand Banks - the water sweeps them right there.

I'm often accused of moving the Thule too fast, too far. But I try to be conservative, and I try to be careful in justifying the moves.
I think on balance that conservatism pays off. And in this case, you may be right to be conservative about Thule seafaring - it may be the sources I've read on OTL's Inuit seafaring are more effusive than realistic. It is hard for me to tell.

Could a regular sailing channel carrying people and trade goods regularly open up between Baffin and Greenland, or Greenland and Ellesmere? Eventually. Could the Baffin/Labrador trade route intensify? Inevitably. Could the Labrador or South Greenland Thule begin fishing the Grand Banks? Eventually. I think though that we'd need another century for this to develop, and by that time, we're well into the period of European contact.
I really have no idea how long trade routes take to develop - nor do I know where to look to find an answer. With fishing, I know it is one of those things where so long as it doesn't require changing cultural focus societies adapt very quickly to exploiting new resources in their range or new technologies that fit into their existing paradigm. So societies that already fish adopt new fishing technologies and learn to appreciate new fish species relatively quickly. Whereas a herding society will be very slow to take up fishing and adopt new fishing technologies if they move to the coast. (A good example of this is the Falkland Islands, where even after 176 years of settlement, the British population there still catches barely a fish between them all, despite living on top of one of the richest fishing grounds in the world.)

fasquardon

The problem there is that peak athletes are... Athletes. They aren't men who work hard every day doing difficult things because the other choice is starvation. As an example, I once read about a guy who hauled Mississippi barges every day of his working life - he may have been the strongest man alive - but just being a working class nobody, who cares that he could haul 100 tonnes of barge continuously for 12 hours a day?

I tend to disagree. A peak athlete will do one thing spectacularly well, at the forefront of human capacity, and a lot of things not so well. But as far as figuring out what the limits of human ability are... athletes are a good measure. The modern marathon is a descendant of the old greek marathon, a feat of nonstop running which was legendary.

Aborignes might have travelled fifty miles in a day on foot, when determined, but they were not moving like marathon runners.

There are limits to human ability - rowing is something that people have managed to do over long periods, but they still needed to rest, to take breaks, to carry water with them, etc. etc. There's simply no way a kayaker or umiak could take a sprinting or racing speed and continue it days on end at that pace.... even if the sprinting or racing speed was not that taxing.

I would venture 100 miles to 125 miles a day would be realistic, 150 miles would be stretching it. With the curents against you, something less.

Mainly I am thinking that all of the places would mainly be interested in trading food - South Greenland and Labrador have been described as being isolated.

Food is a terrible long distance trade good. Basically, for your long distance trade items, you want stuff that is relatively small, durable and portable. Something that doesn't weigh too much, because you are shlepping it great distances and weight costs. Something that is not going to deteriorate or go bad over time, or that is relatively resistant to rough handling, or risky weather.

You also want something that is rare, not locally or regionally procured. And something that has extreme value. Because long distance trading, over hundreds of miles is difficult and expensive - its either passing through a lot of hands, each hand taking its cut. Or its staying in one set of hands, which is expending a lot of time and value to shlep it the whole distance.

Extreme value all the time. Because you don't want to spend months shlepping your trade good, only to discover that no one wants to pay your price.

Trade goods amount to stuff like tobacco - easily dried, stored, very effective. Or seashells and beads. Copper artifacts. Bronze or Iron. Silk. Jewelry. Things like that. That's where the trading routes and trading networks develop. High valued items, portable items, differences in scarcity and plenty, and items that preserved value.

Large scale transport of food in this situation, in the Thule's current stage of development, is probably incomprehensible. If there's a famine, people will either starve, borrow from their neighbos or neigbors neighbos, or simply move.

Grandfather, when he was trading with the Norse, provided food, but he was drawing down local and regional surpluses.

Mostly, when you see food or food surpluses exchanged, its local networking.

Keep in mind that the Thule have not invented money - money being quantifiable units or markers which can be redeemed interchangeably with goods or services.

Rather than a money based economy, the Thule exchange economy is rather more complex - its based on networks of relationships, often mediated by Shamans, with open ended obligations of various sorts. Literacy has allowed the Shamanic class to issue cheques or promissory notes, but they haven't actually gotten the concept of money worked out.

So exchanges can happen for a lot of reason - gift giving as a form of social domination (like potlaches), alliance building, relationships, what we could call 'trade' exchanges of value, is a part of the system, but not clearly the dominant part. It is becoming increasingly significant.

One of the big impacts of Europe on the Thule will be the introduction of the concept of 'money' - quantifiable units representing abstract value. It will take off even faster than literacy, in part because the Thule society, as it increases in complexity, is finding the various traditional forms of exchange to be increasingly cumbersome.

So if starvation hits, they have less places to go trading or begging for food than Thule families in the middle of Alaska, meaning bad years are more likely to be fatal. So connecting two ends of the road makes them the middle of a road, meaning that starving to death is that little bit less likely.

As I said, at this point, when famine hits, people starve or move. But this was true in Europe as well, there were famines in the 1700's, which devastated baltic populations.

And inevitably, that trade route being established would mean other things flow across it - wood, soapstone, iron, walrus hide - comparative advantage means that even if Labrador is worse at producing everything than Baffin Island or South Greenland, trading with more neighbours will still increase the wealth and security of the Labrador Thule and the wealth and security of the neighbours they trade with.

Forgot about Walrus hide. With the population being depleted in many areas, its going to be valuable, with a stable value. Local re-establishments of Walrus as a carefully managed species will always mean that there will be a demand. Simply put, it will always be preferable to trade for walrus hide, rather than skinning your locally cultivated walrus.

On the other hand, Wood is a tricky thing to transport over the ocean. continentally, all you have to do is flow it down the river. In the ocean... much trickier.

OK, I measured the distances from South Greenland to the Grand Banks wrong. Mea culpa.

I've made worse errors. Not to worry.

Still, the Grand Banks are so rich that they became one of the most important fishing grounds of people thousands of miles away in Western Europe - and the Basque and Irish fishermen weren't sailing caravels, they were sailing to the Grand Banks in ships that most people today would call outsized rowboats. This is why I am having such difficulty believing that the Thule, with far more capable sea craft, much closer to the wealth of fish, are not exploiting the fishing grounds.

Do they need to? The Thule group which is closest to the Grand Banks are the Labador Thule, but their population density is relatively low, their environment is pretty hospitable. There's no indication that they're pressing their local food production and harvest ability to the point where they'd need to start exploiting the Grand Banks.

Also, the Labrador, Baffin Is. and West Greenland Thule just need to get caught by the Labrador current to find the Grand Banks - the water sweeps them right there.

True. But this would not result in long distance fishing, but rather, colonization and establishment of population on the shores closest to the Grand Bank. Bad news for the Beothuks.

I really have no idea how long trade routes take to develop - nor do I know where to look to find an answer.

It's an interesting question, and I don't think that there's a lot of literature on the subject. If I had to guess, I would say it probably starts locally, with highly portable objects, and follows paths of least resistance/greatest ease. Basically, down rivers, or geographical features that are easiest to cross.

The portable object retains or inceases value the further it travels, to the point where the recipient starts to exert gravity. ie, the object is so highly valued at the other end of the trade route that it starts to draw or drain. Probably it drains the local resource, and the vaccuum pulls in more from farther and farther.

Occasional acquistion becomes a regular thing, to the point that a trading route evolves. Sometime after that, alternate competing routes will be sought or will emerge, such as 'direct connection sea travel' as against 'overland'.

That's my guess. I'd bet that there are more complexities - I think things may be situational on movement of populations, either seasonally or permanent, nomadic subcultures embedded in dominant sessile cultures, etc.

One of the big impacts of Europe on the Thule will be the introduction of the concept of 'money' - quantifiable units representing abstract value. It will take off even faster than literacy, in part because the Thule society, as it increases in complexity, is finding the various traditional forms of exchange to be increasingly cumbersome.

So when the concept of money hits the shaman epistolary economy-of-favor network, what are the chances that the Thule will skip over intrinsically valuable metal coins (or whatever) and go straight to fiat money? I'm not sure if a modern currency in the (when are we?) 17th century will be much advantage to the Thule, but it will certainly make things interesting.

I suppose that I may not have written about as much peaceful mingling as we might like to see because on the whole, that mingling has not produced all that much in terms of concrete results. The world of the southern Indians is a very different one from the Tundra of the Thule. And as the Thule adopted agriculture, those worlds and lifestyles became increasingly different and far apart.

It should also be pointed out that IOTL, the Thule were expansionist, colonialist, and aggressive. The Norse reported that they launched raids against the Greenland colonies, and modern Inuit myths and legends describe conflicts with the Native Americans and the Dorset (assuming that the 'Tuunit' of their myths are indeed the Dorset). A larger, denser Thule population would not make for a more peaceful expansion, it would just spread raids and wars further IMHO.

In addition, I think generally alternate history just like regular history, tends to focus on war because, let's face it, it's easier to make war an exciting read than peace. It's a bias that many timelines suffer from IMO.

So when the concept of money hits the shaman epistolary economy-of-favor network, what are the chances that the Thule will skip over intrinsically valuable metal coins (or whatever) and go straight to fiat money? I'm not sure if a modern currency in the (when are we?) 17th century will be much advantage to the Thule, but it will certainly make things interesting.

The spread of the concept of money into the Thule realm will be a pretty interesting phenomenon. Plenty of mistakes to be made.

The Thule's political organization is going to have a big effect on how things go from 1300 on. At that point, some sort of sophisticated political structure must have arisen. What that political structure is will have a huge effect on what the various Thule societies do from then on, particularly how well they survive European contact and the plagues.

I would caution against assuming that a separate class of chiefs emerges - in many places, chiefs were forced on native societies by Europeans who wanted a "big man" to ease dealings with a native group and to make the alien natives more similar to the European worldview (i.e. that there is always a nobility, always a priest class and always a peasant class). Chiefs are not a natural occurrence, but one option out of many for organizing high-level hunter-gatherer societies or simple agricultural societies.

As far as I know, OTL Inuit never had the population densities to develop anything beyond male work/female work/shamen work with regards to labour specialization. Which means the Thule could end up with any number of ways of organizing the work or ruling their tribes (if indeed, they ever form tribes as such - again, as far as I know, the Inuit never formed a concept for a social entity larger than a family pre-contact OTL).

What is happening within the Thule heartlands has also been neglected for a while - the Mackenzie, Alaska and the Hudson coast are spoken of as being the population centers of Thule, but they are also the biggest mysteries now, since most of your writing time has been spent on the peripheries... My instinct is that as the population heartland, and the heartlands of the metal and wood industries, they are likely to be very, very interesting.

True, I've been neglecting the heartlands. By this time, the Thule are diverging into nations and subcultures, with enough distance between them that different forms of social organization and governance are emerging. Now, I've touched on this briefly.

But I'd like to throw it open. What do you, and by this I include twovultures, danbenson, eschaton and anyone else who wants to take a kick at it, think is going on in the Thule heartlands or in a particular Thule heartland. What interesting or fascinating potential development might be taking place between 1400 and 1550?

But I'd like to throw it open. What do you, and by this I include twovultures, danbenson, eschaton and anyone else who wants to take a kick at it, think is going on in the Thule heartlands or in a particular Thule heartland. What interesting or fascinating potential development might be taking place between 1400 and 1550?
I'll think about it. Should we send private messages to you first?

Status
Not open for further replies.