Jackson with no Scott OR Scott with no Jackson.

According to author John Ehle future United States President Andrew Jackson and Winfield Scott once agreed to a duel, while debating the fate of the Creek Indains in 1838. Meeting at the appointed place and time both were convinced of the other's courage, so the duel was called off. WI the hadn't been called off, might their feverish pesonalities disillusion each others' courage. Jackson, as some of you moight know, was one of the most influential president of our history, allowing the common man to take power, as well as allowing westward expansion. If he was on the one to perish in such a duel, what might such an big impact have occured later on?

As Winfield Scott, a major figurehead in the Whig Party and intelligent general, had he fatallly wounded Jackson in this duel, would this have affected his popularity? Scott was reknowned for his planning in the Mexican war But wasn't he the one that negociated the Canadian border in the Caroline Affair, and during the Aroostook War. What about the the Andaconda plan, the supreme strategy of the Union Army during the ACW, he was in fact the one who came up with, and had little support for it unitl ft. Sumter. W/O his peacemaking and military acomplisments, what might the country, the entire world lokk today?

Any thoughts, opinions.....

Personally, after 1824, I think we'd have been better off without Andrew Jackson. He wasn't a very good President. Almost single-handedly, he killed the Federal Bank and almost started the Civil War 30 years early, which would have been disastrous. Without Jackson, Clay would have had a chance at the Presidency, as would have Calhoun. Both of which would make far better Presidents than Old Hickory.

As for Scott, I've always like him. I wouldn't really want to see him tainted by the death of Jackson. However, for the good of the nation, I think it would have been for the best, to put it coldly. In the Mexican-American War, Scott did an excellent job, but Bennett Riley, our best brigade commander in the war (an my personal favorite), could have done just as well.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Creek = Cherokee or different ?

How does 1838 tie into the decisions regarding the Cherokee vis-s-vis the Supreme Court and the Trail of Tears ?

If Scott shoots him down, what does it do to Scott's political associates ?

Perhaps you get a neo-Jacksonian in a sympathy vote ?

Grey Wolf

BOTP said:
According to author John Ehle future United States President Andrew Jackson and Winfield Scott once agreed to a duel, while debating the fate of the Creek Indains in 1838.

Wait, I hope you don't mean 1838. By 1838, Jackson was weak from tuberculosis and out of office. Thus, if 1838 is what you mean, it doesn't do anything substantial to Andrew Jackson, although we might look at him more favorably today.